The potential silver lining?

Sperm Edwards

My big concern, once the extensions were announced, was that Macc would spend right and left on any contract with 7 (or 8) zeros at the end of it just to save their collective skin. Then after a potential mild bump in W/L in 2018 they come right back down again in 2019. They'd still get fired after that flops, and they'd seek out replacements interested in inheriting or making decisions on some terrible contracts that - even if the guaranteed money is gone - will still come with reduced flexibility from lots of "dead" cap space in year 1.

The potential silver lining here is, after seeing nobody with a long-term future wants to sign with the team while these 2 are running things, and after hearing teams actually turned us down even as the highest bidder on multiple players, the Jets can fire Maccagnan and Bowles after this season with both a top 5-ish pick and $100m in cap room again next year.

This could end the Macc/Bowles era a year earlier than expected, plus having a high draft pick and endless money to spend could theoretically attract better replacement candidates. 

It's a long shot, but if anyone's got anything better to look forward to I'm all ears.

Just now, BigO said:

Reincarnation 

Death

Reincarnation

Death 

Being a Jets fan is a viscous cycle. 

Viscous - 

having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.

Sounds about right!!! :D 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Viscous - 

having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.

Sounds about right!!! :D 

You expect proper spelling at a time like this? Gimme a break 

251C1C48-1D9F-4297-BE1B-909D1CDF9FA3.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My big concern, once the extensions were announced, was that Macc would spend right and left on any contract with 7 (or 8) zeros at the end of it just to save their collective skin. Then after a potential mild bump in W/L in 2018 they come right back down again in 2019. They'd still get fired after that flops, and they'd seek out replacements interested in inheriting or making decisions on some terrible contracts that - even if the guaranteed money is gone - will still come with reduced flexibility from lots of "dead" cap space in year 1.

The potential silver lining here is, after seeing nobody with a long-term future wants to sign with the team while these 2 are running things, and after hearing teams actually turned us down even as the highest bidder on multiple players, the Jets can fire Maccagnan and Bowles after this season with both a top 5-ish pick and $100m in cap room again next year.

This could end the Macc/Bowles era a year earlier than expected, plus having a high draft pick and endless money to spend could theoretically attract better replacement candidates. 

It's a long shot, but if anyone's got anything better to look forward to I'm all ears.

The ultimate FU to the franchise and fan base is going to be watching Macc trade next years first rd pick to move back into rd 1 to draft a DT.  

And this is the curse of PSLs.  Without them, it would be much easier for fans to simply not buy their season tickets any more.  I don't do season tickets but if I did, I would take a hard pass on next season.  I honestly can't understand how anyone would even want to attend a game.  Maybe an empty stadium can help penetrate the wall of stupidity around Woody Johnson's brain because nothing else seems to.

Shameless bump from my prediction this past Saturday:

On 3/10/2018 at 5:05 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Prediction:

$9m = re-sign Davis [I whiffed here; signed Avery Williamson instead.]

$12m = re-sign Claiborne

$6m = re-sign ASJ 

$5m = re-sign Ealy

$15m = re-sign Sheldon

$8m = re-sign Josh McCown

$11m = sign whichever FA center will end up being the worst among the available options, but as the ~25th-ranked center in 2018 he'll be deemed a relative success because 25th is still so much better than Wesley Johnson

$15m = a "#1" veteran CB for Bowles, who'll of course coast & get burned like toast after getting paid. Not to worry, though: only 2 years of it will be guaranteed! 

$6m = Isaiah Crowell

remainder = sign 2018 draft picks and other scrubs who'll barely see the field until/unless starters get injured

Looks like among the first 3 that were announced, I was doing an ok job. Though even in my prediction I felt McCown at $8m was plenty enough of an exaggeration, and I don't know what Crowell's money is yet, how far off could I really be? The last one announced, I whiffed on Demario Davis (I can't even fathom the possibility of re-signing him now after they inked Williamson). 

Also in my defense it would take no less than a functioning time machine to successfully predict a team with the #6 overall pick in a QB-rich draft (up top and in its depth) signing McCown and Bridgewater a month & a half before said draft. At least Bridgewater has a possibility of real value and upside as a starter if his leg's right, and since I'm assuming he needs to pass a physical, it's a rare low risk / high reward FA signing by Maccagnan (like Claiborne a year ago). 

Still think there's a good chance they re-sign Claiborne, an 8-figure/year center, and maybe even Sheldon to take Mo's place. And for all the "extremely interested" stuff reported at the start of the day, Seattle hasn't signed ASJ yet!

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did somebody hack Sperm's account?  I don't think there's even 500 words in this post.

Dream: Woody grows a brain and offers Jim Harbaugh $100 million guaranteed plus 1% ownership stake in the franchise

reality: 2019 GM Jerry Reece, HC Jack Del Rio

nightmare: another extension for Macc and Bowles because we went 5-11 and shut down the “haters”

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

And this is the curse of PSLs.  Without them, it would be much easier for fans to simply not buy their season tickets any more.  I don't do season tickets but if I did, I would take a hard pass on next season.  I honestly can't understand how anyone would even want to attend a game.  Maybe an empty stadium can help penetrate the wall of stupidity around Woody Johnson's brain because nothing else seems to.

This is the problem. Even with an empty stadium, Woody is still getting boatloads of money through the dolts who do pay, even if its only 40K iinstead of 80K and more importantly, TV and Add revenue.

Pretty sure this is Woddy's strategy. Shoot for 8-8 every year, give the 40K dumb dumb's just enough to want to attend, and count millions.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely correct. If they weren’t going to get a haul in free agency (Cousins, Robinson, etc) then it’s sooooo much better that they’ve crashed and burned so hard today. Simply no way they can survive this season. 

Just make sure you get plenty of sleep and use adequate lotion over the next 9 months or so, the crash and burn we will witness is liable to be kotitian in nature, you will be a busy little jack rabbit 

35 minutes ago, CTM said:

Just make sure you get plenty of sleep and use adequate lotion over the next 9 months or so, the crash and burn we will witness is liable to be kotitian in nature, you will be a busy little jack rabbit 

CTM, I’ll be ready.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Shameless bump from my prediction this past Saturday:

Looks like among the first 3 that were announced, I was doing an ok job. Though even in my prediction I felt McCown at $8m was plenty enough of an exaggeration, and I don't know what Crowell's money is yet, how far off could I really be? The last one announced, I whiffed on Demario Davis (I can't even fathom the possibility of re-signing him now after they inked Williamson). 

Also in my defense it would take no less than a functioning time machine to successfully predict a team with the #6 overall pick in a QB-rich draft (up top and in its depth) signing McCown and Bridgewater a month & a half before said draft. At least Bridgewater has a possibility of real value and upside as a starter if his leg's right, and since I'm assuming he needs to pass a physical, it's a rare low risk / high reward FA signing by Maccagnan (like Claiborne a year ago). 

Still think there's a good chance they re-sign Claiborne, an 8-figure/year center, and maybe even Sheldon to take Mo's place. And for all the "extremely interested" stuff reported at the start of the day, Seattle hasn't signed ASJ yet!

Crappiest center on the market about to come true. 

Jets have not been a player on any of the big time OL guys nor high end WRs . With this much cap room, that's inexcusable. Almost doesn't matter who the QB is, between the run/run/3rd and 8 incompletion offense, nobody to throw to, and said QB for his life on said 3rd down and 8 desperation heave.

The word is INCOHERENT. 

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It will really come down to the QB they end up drafting.  If it’s Darnold or Rosen, the NYJ job will be very attractive.  If it’s a second rounder, then it’s a throw away (another in a long line of throw always) but if it’s a QB like Josh Allen, and he plays like he played in college, it will come down to Ownership.

Do they force Josh Allen on the new coaching staff, knowing that he is a long shot, or do the Johnson’s admit the huge error and give the new GM/HC carte  blanche over the entire roster?

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I concur. Getting to entrust the Johnson brothers with yet another firing and hiring process IS a silver lining. 

You are holding a 2. You don’t stick with that. At worst, picking a new card will be a lateral move.

So all we have is the potential for dumb luck. The faster they turn in our old card when we see it’s too low, the more chances there are at lucky-picking a higher card.

Yes, we all prefer they’d choose a professional card picker, but it isn’t happening.

OK I’m done with this strained analogy, but you get what I mean. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are holding a 2. You don’t stick with that. At worst, picking a new card will be a lateral move.

So all we have is the potential for dumb luck. The faster they turn in our old card when we see it’s too low, the more chances there are at lucky-picking a higher card.

Yes, we all prefer they’d choose a professional card picker, but it isn’t happening.

OK I’m done with this strained analogy, but you get what I mean. 

This is exactly what the Baltimore police thought about getting rid of Avon. And then Marlo happened. 

21 minutes ago, Pcola said:

It will really come down to the QB they end up drafting.  If it’s Darnold or Rosen, the NYJ job will be very attractive.  If it’s a second rounder, then it’s a throw away (another in a long line of throw always) but if it’s a QB like Josh Allen, and he plays like he played in college, it will come down to Ownership.

Do they force Josh Allen on the new coaching staff, knowing that he is a long shot, or do the Johnson’s admit the huge error and give the new GM/HC carte  blanche over the entire roster?

Mostly agree, except - despite the initial disappointment (read: rage) - if it’s a 2nd rounder it isn’t necessarily a throw away. It just means the QB has some trait(s) or uncertainties that made him a lesser prospect on draft day. A 2nd rounder isn’t a 7th rounder, though. If we’d taken Russell Wilson in round 2 would that have been a throwaway pick instead of taking Tannehill in the top 10?

Even if it’s Darnold or Rosen, if he looks absolutely atrocious as a rookie this year then the NYJ job will be even less attractive, because now you’ve lost the optimism of hitting on a high draft pick in a month; they’re locked into a guy who looks like a bust, and if it’s Darnold or Rosen even more so because it looks like they’d have to trade up to #1 to make that happen (costing next year’s #1 pick - and likely more - in the process).

Regardless of which QB they draft, if he - or Bridgewater - look even pretty good this year then that’ll open things up a bit. 

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is exactly what the Baltimore police thought about getting rid of Avon. And then Marlo happened. 

I had to look that one up just to get your analogy’s reference. Use with playing cards and low numbers that even a 5 year-old brain like mine can understand. Or if it must be a TV reference, use 80s-90s sitcoms that everyone watched because there was nothing else.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I had to look that one up just to get your analogy’s reference. Use with playing cards and low numbers that even a 5 year-old brain like mine can understand. Or if it must be a TV reference, use 80s-90s sitcoms that everyone watched because there was nothing else.

This is exactly what ABC thought when they took Dinosaurs off of TGIF. And then we got Step by Step.

The funny thing is that everything is working exactly in a way to preserve the MacBowles regime. If the Jets had landed Cousins, there would be expectations. Instead, they took a flyer on all around good guy Teddy B and rewarded an aged future QB coach for his career best season. Expectations?? Still pretty low. Even with a rookie QB, they'd still be pretty low. The only expectation is competitiveness and improvement ---- I love the "improvement" goal, it is so subjective that it only matters if Chris Johnson feels the team has improved. Bottom line, Bowles is safe unless the team gets blown out frequently. And Mac is safe unless he fails to draft Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson. And I fail to see how he accomplishes that feat, since he has the assets to trade up AND it is beyond question that at least one of the 5 will be available at pick #6.

So, all you MacBowles haters, hold on because it's going to be a long ride.

As for me, I genuinely believe that Todd Bowles will end up being regarded as one of the better football coaches in the NFL. Good HC's keep their team "in" games. Then it is up to players to "make a play" or two that wins the game. The Bowles' Jets were on the opposite side of that equation many times. That's a player talent thing, not a coach thing. At this time, I believe Mac to be competent and that he has learned from his mistakes (MO and Fitz contracts; Hack selection)-- but that belief is not so strong that I might not change my mind if he makes some bad decisions in the future.

Archived