The potential silver lining?

Sperm Edwards

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mostly agree, except - despite the initial disappointment (read: rage) - if it’s a 2nd rounder it isn’t necessarily a throw away. It just means the QB has some trait(s) or uncertainties that made him a lesser prospect on draft day. A 2nd rounder isn’t a 7th rounder, though. If we’d taken Russell Wilson in round 2 would that have been a throwaway pick instead of taking Tannehill in the top 10?

Even if it’s Darnold or Rosen, if he looks absolutely atrocious as a rookie this year then the NYJ job will be even less attractive, because now you’ve lost the optimism of hitting on a high draft pick in a month; they’re locked into a guy who looks like a bust, and if it’s Darnold or Rosen even more so because it looks like they’d have to trade up to #1 to make that happen (costing next year’s #1 pick - and likely more - in the process).

Regardless of which QB they draft, if he - or Bridgewater - look even pretty good this year then that’ll open things up a bit. 

I was referring to the new coaching staff not being married to the previous regime’s 2nd round QB.

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The funny thing is that everything is working exactly in a way to preserve the MacBowles regime. If the Jets had landed Cousins, there would be expectations. Instead, they took a flyer on all around good guy Teddy B and rewarded an aged future QB coach for his career best season. Expectations?? Still pretty low. Even with a rookie QB, they'd still be pretty low. The only expectation is competitiveness and improvement ---- I love the "improvement" goal, it is so subjective that it only matters if Chris Johnson feels the team has improved. Bottom line, Bowles is safe unless the team gets blown out frequently. And Mac is safe unless he fails to draft Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson. And I fail to see how he accomplishes that feat, since he has the assets to trade up AND it is beyond question that at least one of the 5 will be available at pick #6.

So, all you MacBowles haters, hold on because it's going to be a long ride.

As for me, I genuinely believe that Todd Bowles will end up being regarded as one of the better football coaches in the NFL. Good HC's keep their team "in" games. Then it is up to players to "make a play" or two that wins the game. The Bowles' Jets were on the opposite side of that equation many times. That's a player talent thing, not a coach thing. At this time, I believe Mac to be competent and that he has learned from his mistakes (MO and Fitz contracts; Hack selection)-- but that belief is not so strong that I might not change my mind if he makes some bad decisions in the future.

Don't even know how to respond to this.

Cannot wait for the BAP who plays defense at 6. 

This is now all about Mccagnan and Bowles preserving their jobs, pushing the expectations further down the road. And I don't know how ownership accepts it.May be they don't really care other than as a rich guy it's cool to own an NFL team. 

The fans are voting with their wallets already. Nobody wants to watch a retread QB "win" 4-6 games. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Don't even know how to respond to this.

Cannot wait for the BAP who plays defense at 6. 

This is now all about Mccagnan and Bowles preserving their jobs, pushing the expectations further down the road. And I don't know how ownership accepts it.May be they don't really care other than as a rich guy it's cool to own an NFL team. 

The fans are voting with their wallets already. Nobody wants to watch a retread QB "win" 4-6 games. 

I am satisfied with the way things are working out. I didn't want Cousins, and did want Johnson. I think the Jets other signings were solid. I expect some more good signings today. Hopefully Jensen and Eifert. And every time I work out what could happen in the draft, I just can't envision a scenario where Barkley and Chubb are not taken in the top 5, so the Jets should do no worse than selecting the 4th QB, which would probably be Mayfield (I'm good with Jackson too). 

Archived