With FAs signed so far and if Draft falls way folks predicting, who Jets pick at 6?

SouthernJet

With many pundits (expecting Bills to trade up) saying first 5 picks will now be combo of Barkley and 4 QBs, what player you think Jets take if they STAY at #6?

Pass rusher DE NCSU Bradley Chubb;

Stud OSU Guard Nelson;

Bama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick

VT LB Temaine Edwards

They should draft one of the QBs, at least one will be there. Zero chance of all of them being drafted especially if Cleveland stays at 1 and 4. Going by history they’ll choice a DL or Edge guy.  

Assuming Brakley and Chubbs are gone and they don’t take a QB I hope they go with Nelson. 

I think Darnold, Allen and Barkley are locks for going ahead of us and chubb is likely as well.

Personally, if Mac is able to land Jensen, this team is well set up to give up one second round pick to swap 4-6 with the Browns to leapfrog Denver and simply take mayfield.  

We can then use our second round pick to either fill center (if we miss on Jensen) or one of the remaining edge rushers.

If the first 5 picks go QB, RB, QB, QB, QB (in whatever order) then Chubb is coming to the Jets. He'll be the highest rated guy and Macc will be praised for "letting the draft come to him." It's all about the low-risk move. More interesting (and likely) question is what if we have a choice between Minkah and Mayfield at 6...

I think it's going to be Mayfield and i'm starting to believe that he's the correct for the Jets to go after at QB.

I loved him in college but I worry about his transition to the NFL. But i'm starting to believe more and more in him. If he was a few inches taller lots of people wouldnt have the concerns they have.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the first 5 picks go QB, RB, QB, QB, QB (in whatever order) then Chubb is coming to the Jets. He'll be the highest rated guy and Macc will be praised for "letting the draft come to him." It's all about the low-risk move.

Would be perfect, and fits the trend of Mac replacing DL, ILB, CB, S every season ... even though he either inherited competency or signed/drafted those positions the prior season.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Would be perfect, and fits the trend of Mac replacing DL, ILB, CB, S every season ... even though he either inherited competency or signed/drafted those positions the prior season.

What about the more likely scenario of Jets having Mayfield and Minkah on the board at 6?

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Chubb would have to be the pick then take a 2nd round QB but I'd be surprised if we stay at 6. I think one of the teams in front of us will be interested in dropping a few picks and still land an elite player.

At this point I want the best of Chubb or Nelson, or a trade back. Then Lamar and a stud RB before R2 is over.

Just now, jgb said:

You might be right but Chubb isn't either and neither is Barkley. So one of the "top 4 QBs" will, imho.

Fair enough, no sense in arguing over hypotheticals. I just think we’re on the outside looking in, so bracing myself for no QB at 6.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Fair enough, no sense in arguing over hypotheticals. I just think we’re on the outside looking in, so bracing myself for no QB at 6.

If 4 QBs get taken top 5 we are guarnateed Chubb or Barkley. I think most people can live with that. I'm more worried about us ending up with Minkah.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Mayfield isn’t dropping to 6.

Then Rosen will be there! Bills are targeting Allen. Can't see Rosen or Mayfield in Buffalo cold & snow, but definitely see a big strong armed guy like Allen. Tough guy mold.

I refuse to believe that this franchise, as incompetent and as rudderless as it is, is stupid enough to try to sell the fan base on a McCown and Bridgewater tandem with no blue chip QB prospect, especially after 3 years of Fitpatrick and McCown and consecutive 5-11 finishes.   If that actually happens, it will be the death knell for the Mac and Bowles dynamic duo and usher in another wasted year in mediocrity or worse. 

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

With many pundits (expecting Bills to trade up) saying first 5 picks will now be combo of Barkley and 4 QBs, what player you think Jets take if they STAY at #6?

Stud OSU Guard Nelson;

VT LB Temaine Edwards

I look at the moves, and I see the focus remaining on Bowles defense first and foremost.

We signed the "best" FA CB supposedly.  We signed a better ILB to replace Davis (again, supposedly, Davis was better last year).  I bet a pass rusher/D-Line upgrade will be coming as well before FA is done.

On O?  Old Man McCown, broke kneed Bridgewater, a Cleveland castoff wanna-be-cop-killer RB, and maybe a Center/Guard depth gap-filler.  I.e. placeholders and long-shot prayers at material upgrades.

I don't see this multi-year trend of preference by Macc/Bowles changing:  Jets amaze all the fans here who think QB is a lock at #6, and go for a pass rusher or cornerback like Minkah..

Then they go QB in round 2/3 with a second/third tier prospect.  Like Hack, probably a reach prospect tbqh.

Then they go back to defense hard the rest of the draft with perhaps a tossoff TE or O-lineman somewhere in the middle rounds.  

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

At this point I want the best of Chubb or Nelson, or a trade back. Then Lamar and a stud RB before R2 is over.

All signs continue to point toward Nelson. Bridgewater had success in Minnesota despite some really bad offensive lines (27th in adjusted sack rate in 2014, 29th in 2015) but you have to figure the intention is to protect him. Same thing with Crowell whose Cleveland teams were consistently below average in adjusted line yards.

The top of this draft basically came tailored to force the Jets to do what they're supposed to do and get the ******* quarterback but it seems like they're hell-bent on fighting it. Nelson's a guard. Barkley doesn't get to 6. Chubb's drills were bad and it's not like he was this dominant player in college. Fitzpatrick has a resume but there's the thing with Alabama as a whole, Milliner in particular, having gone back to back safeties last year, and being a projection on the outside since he didn't really play there, so that's out. There aren't any blue chip tackles or receivers. Ward was basically the only premium quarterback alternative that checked all the boxes but we just backed up the wheelbarrow for Johnson. I'm going with Landry here but not feeling super great about it.

43 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I refuse to believe that this franchise, as incompetent and as rudderless as it is, is stupid enough to try to sell the fan base on a McCown and Bridgewater tandem with no blue chip QB prospect, especially after 3 years of Fitpatrick and McCown and consecutive 5-11 finishes.   If that actually happens, it will be the death knell for the Mac and Bowles dynamic duo and usher in another wasted year in mediocrity or worse. 

I’m the last to defend Macagnan but 2 years ago Paxton Lynch was considered “blue chip” and most of the people here wanted him and guys like Cimini were screaming the jets to draft him (not me)

Sam Darnold is by far the best rookie qb in the draft class rest of these guys have major red flags I’d rather go pass rusher at 6 and a sleeper like Lauletta with one of our 2nd round picks

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

don't see this multi-year trend of preference by Macc/Bowles changing:  Jets amaze all the fans here who think QB is a lock at #6, and go for a pass rusher.

Then they go QB in round 2 with a second/third tier prospect.  Like Hack, probably a reach prospect tbqh.

Then they go back to defense hard the rest of the draft with perhaps a tossoff TE or O-lineman somewhere in the middle rounds.  

This is pretty much what happens. They will sit and wait for Chubb and he probably gets there when Indy auctions off their 3 pick. Mayfield doesn't get to 6.  Quenton Nelson is their "safety school" pick. If both Chubb and Nelson are gone there's probably a QB worth taking.

Minkah or Trumaine Edmunds not real factors in the conversation.  Mac loves to take a guy that everyone projected to go higher.

The Jets go into Saturday with a haul like Bradley Chubb, Mason Rudolph/Kyle Lauletta and maybe a corner or TE with that 2nd rd 2 pick. 

3 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Stud OSU Guard Nelson;

VT LB Temaine Edwards

What kind of dumba$$ post doesn't have a QB as an option. Even you're (proverbial) dense enough to think that McCown and Bridgewater is possibly Macc's answer -- you can't eliminate the position as an option. 

Archived