Trade Up Now or Wait For The Draft?

TopCop

Right now that's a tough call as I see it.  If the Jets are locked in on a particular QB, then I say try and trade up now with the Colts.  Problem with waiting until the draft is, it will probably cost more picks as you will bidding against other teams.  Then there's the other side of it, if you wait to see how the draft unfolds, the QB you want may slide to you at 6, but is that a risk the Jets should take especially with all the teams looking to move up for a QB.  My take is go all in now and move up to at least 3 and take one of Rosen or Mayfield.  Thoughts

9 minutes ago, TopCop said:

Right now that's a tough call as I see it.  If the Jets are locked in on a particular QB, then I say try and trade up now with the Colts.  Problem with waiting until the draft is, it will probably cost more picks as you will bidding against other teams.  Then there's the other side of it, if you wait to see how the draft unfolds, the QB you want may slide to you at 6, but is that a risk the Jets should take especially with all the teams looking to move up for a QB.  My take is go all in now and move up to at least 3 and take one of Rosen or Mayfield.  Thoughts

YOu can't really do it now. I don't recall a team trading up this early

I'd say teams would want more to trade down in advance - no way of telling who'll be on the board, what interest might come up nearer the time as free agency settles.

And no team will take the first offer that comes along, you'll always be bidding against other teams. Moving up also sets the scene for what others need to do to get ahead of you if needed, you don't want to play your hand too soon.

What is important is to keep the dialog open with teams like Indy, that way you'll get wind of what other offers they're getting so you can prepare accordingly.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

You make the calls to start laying groundwork, and promise to "keep in touch", but you DO NOT make a deal NOW. That would be stupid. 

If you have laid groundwork on a deal, and someone looks to jump you o that deal, the other team will let you know they have a better offer. It si then up to you whether you trump that offer or move on.

I'm in minority but against trading up. Any package to do so will cost next yrs #1 and that is going to be a premium and extremely valuable resource. We must hold onto that at all costs.

Also, I think standing pat and waiting at #6 is a great strategy. I predict some combo of Mayfield, Allen, and Barkley will be sitting there. Either of those 3 would be considered a great get. 

If they are locked on a particular guy they can't risk moving anywhere but pick 1. If they like 3 of 4 guys then they should try to trade up now and not worry about who wants to jump them for what player but I could see the first three picks this year being qb.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I think the Colts are the only team willing to trade out. The Browns are taking Darnold and anybody who thinks they're going to take Barkley is nuts. The Giants have quietly butchered their already butchered offensive line. They NEED to take Nelson - nevermind how good he is. If they are stupid (they are not a good front office), they will take Barkley.

The Colts will be where the fun starts and probably where the Bills outbid us. 

Don’t do it at all it’s ******* stupid. Look at past drafts never in the history of the draft have 4 (5 if you count Allen) QBs been taken back to back. It doesn’t ******* happen. Unless the Jets are dead set on only one of the 5 QBs being any good it’s dumb as **** to trade up. 

Giving away a bunch of picks is retarded. The fans desperation to get a QB doesn’t matter to GMs. 

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I think the Colts are the only team willing to trade out. The Browns are taking Darnold and anybody who thinks they're going to take Barkley is nuts. The Giants have quietly butchered their already butchered offensive line. They NEED to take Nelson - nevermind how good he is. If they are stupid (they are not a good front office), they will take Barkley.

The Colts will be where the fun starts and probably where the Bills outbid us. 

WIth all the trade ups possible I think its very likely Nelson will be there @ 6 for the VaGiants, making us a perfect trade up partner if that is their target.

9 minutes ago, TopCop said:

Buffalo just traded up to 12, so it can be done

You're talking about a completely different scenario. Lower picks are involved moving from 12 to 21 is way cheaper than 3 to 6 for instance. But The more important thing as well is the amount of competition for the top picks, the fact that a good qb is such a scarce resource, and the fact that there is a big dropoff between the top 3 or 4 qbs and the guys below is what makes the demand for them quite higher. 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

WIth all the trade ups possible I think its very likely Nelson will be there @ 6 for the VaGiants, making us a perfect trade up partner if that is their target.

Do we really think the NYG will trade with us though? I feel that never happens and will never happen

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Do we really think the NYG will trade with us though? I feel that never happens and will never happen

Agreed, the mets and the Yankees barely trade.  If they do it is for low key stuff.  The giants if they trade would be potentially giving the jets a franchise qb, one that they could have had.  I would think a jets deal would need to be an over pay.  And that is still doubtful.  I don't remember who said it here, but I like the idea of taking on a bad contract or 2 from the giants as well as sending picks to sweeten the pot.  

1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

a deal won't go down until the last minute. Teams like the Colts are going to hold onto the pick until they get the best possible offer. It will be a deal that will cost the Jets dearly if they can make a deal

and if it works out in our favor, no one will blink an eye.  Eagles fans don't care how much they gave up for wentz.  If it works out it would be amazing.  if not, very typical jets

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I agree historically. But if the Giants are truly trying to make a run here with the last 2-3 years of Eli’s career, while we rebuild, I don’t think a team turns down a great deal simply because of the “rivalry.” I agree in the past it seemed hopeless. But this would benefit both teams (Nelson should be there at 6) and the Giants need oline help and high picks to off set the free agency whiffs and $ constraints they have. 

But maybe the Jets only need to trade up to 3 to get their guy anyway. We’ll see.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Zero chance. How would you feel, as a Jets fan, if we traded with the Giants to give them a crack at a franchise QB? Would you love seeing that QB on the back pages winning Super Bowls/MVPs? Giants fans feel the same way which is why neither Front Office would take that chance. 

Our best option is trading into the 3/4 slots. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You only trade up now if you can get into the top 2.  Otherwise you spend your draft capital and still can get leap-frogged on draft day.  

This.  Depends on what spot you trade up to.

No point trading up if another team can leapfrog you for the player you're targeting.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Trading up now is not an option.  Never happens.   When have you seen that happen this far in advance of the draft?  People hold on to their picks to see if they get any better offers at the last minute.

Last time the Jets traded up before the day itself - we ended up with D-Rob ...

Archived