Jets Sign C Spencer Long

C Mart

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Our 6th and a 3rd rounder is all it should really take. Maybe a sweetener like you suggested. The trade chart does not dictate that Macc throw in either of our 2nd round picks and macc has shown to be frugal so i don't expect him to vastly overpay to get a player that could drop to us at 6 especially when we can also deal with the Browns at 4 who would have likely already drafted their QB with #1 overall. 

I added sweetners because I’m sure other teams ie Buff, maybe Denv, AZ etc. could all be looking to get to #3. 

Good thing is if they keep both 2s they can trade down in the 2nd if they want and get back a 3 or another 4. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Philc1 said:

There were no great or even good centers available in FA.  Jensen is decent at best and highly overrated by some people here.  An ok player like Long as about all we could expect

Yup, now we need to address TE and either Claiborne or a replacement. After that we should have enough money left over for a big ticket luxury item in FA. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The draft chart is irrelevant when it comes to QBs. It will cost way more than a 3rd.

It depends. If the Colts/Browns want Barkley or Chubb or Nelson, the only way they can get them is to trade with the Broncos or Jets. The Bills can throw in all the late round picks they want, but the stud non-qbs will be gone by then. 
The browns already have a ton of draft picks so I am sure they'd much prefer to trade with the Jets than trade with Bills simply because the bills throw in some extra 3rd/4th/5th round picks. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Which is why I would take a flier on Tyler Eifert. He can be elite when healthy and if he can't stay healthy we can fallback to those guys. We have enough cap space to add some proven depth to that position. 

We need to see what we have first before making a panic move for an often injured TE. 

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

9th ranked FA center. 

Wait, what? 9th ranked FA center? So there were 8 FAs this year that were ranked higher? And we went after him? If that’s true, I’m chipping in for that billboard. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That was why I wanted to sign Cousins. Either way, the Jets aren't going to be able to get into the top 2 so they will only need  to move from 6 to 3 which shouldn't cost us either of our 2nd round picks. 

59 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Send Indy #6, this yrs 3rd and Hackenberg. Throw in a 2019 Day 3 pick if necessary  

With Luck’s shoulder and Frank Reich as HC they can continue to develop Hackenberg since he appears done here. 

The **** kind of world you live in where we move up from 6 to 3 without at least a 2nd rounder? 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Send Indy #6, this yrs 3rd and Hackenberg. Throw in a 2019 Day 3 pick if necessary  

With Luck’s shoulder and Frank Reich as HC they can continue to develop Hackenberg since he appears done here. 

Hackenberg's only value in this trade would be to serve as a courier for the trade paperwork. They could save the Fed Ex fees and make him deliver the papers to be signed.

12 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The **** kind of world you live in where we move up from 6 to 3 without at least a 2nd rounder? 

Yea I agree it will cost a lot to get up to 3 but I think it will cost the Bills far more. It depends on how the team trading out feels. Of all the teams in the top 5 the Broncos feel like the best option to move back that far. I think the Giants/Colts/Browns are all looking for an elite talent.

It would not shock me if #6 + 2019 1st could do it or #6, #37, + 2019 2nd. I'd be willing to give up any price this year to get our guy so anything higher is fine with me. I would have to think we need to include at least 1 of the 2nds if we aren't offering next years first.

Teams seem to gravitate to injured good O-linemen to save money. I guess the methodology is to draft or sign a bunch of them and hope a percentage are healthy enough to play. Some guys like Vlad who we all thought was terrible have carved out careers and stayed employed.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Teams seem to gravitate to injured good O-linemen to save money. I guess the methodology is to draft or sign a bunch of them and hope a percentage are healthy enough to play. Some guys like Vlad who we all thought was terrible have carved out careers and stayed employed.

I think what it really is, is that most teams don't let quality O-lineman go. LT's might be the most like QB's in that regard, unless you think you have a really good alternative on the depth chart you don't let a good one hit free agency. Centers shouldn't be too far behind, if you got a great one why would you ever part with him?

So what tends to come out are mostly flawed candidates like somebody who got hurt. 

"Hold the fort" type guy IMO.  I think the Jets are still in the market for a C/OG before the end of Round 3.  Particularly with Bates' zone blocking scheme guys like Carpenter unfortunately aren't a great fit.  There's some work to do on the OLine for sure.  This also isn't a great FA group nor Draft crop for lineman.  JAGs are gonna get lots of money and that OG Nelson is going in the Top 10, maybe Top 8.

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

"Hold the fort" type guy IMO.  I think the Jets are still in the market for a C/OG before the end of Round 3.  Particularly with Bates' zone blocking scheme guys like Carpenter unfortunately aren't a great fit.  There's some work to do on the OLine for sure.  This also isn't a great FA group nor Draft crop for lineman.  JAGs are gonna get lots of money and that OG Nelson is going in the Top 10, maybe Top 8.

Top 6?

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Top 6?

hmmm....I can't see it but anything is possible I guess.  If I'm the Jets my Board is basically the Top 4 QBs + Barkley + Chubb.  As much as I'd love Quenton Nelson I would only consider that had we signed Cousins.  And, in that case, I might trade down from #6 to the 8-10 area and try to get him...or maybe a Calvin Ridley.

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

hmmm....I can't see it but anything is possible I guess.  If I'm the Jets my Board is basically the Top 4 QBs + Barkley + Chubb.  As much as I'd love Quenton Nelson I would only consider that had we signed Cousins.  And, in that case, I might trade down from #6 to the 8-10 area and try to get him...or maybe a Calvin Ridley.

Nelson is a monster and probably the surest thing to a Career pro bowler in the draft. I’d say Barkley too but as a rb you never know how beat up they can get. I know it’s taboo to pick a guard too early. That this kid is rare beast exception. Take a rb in the 2nd. Plus is a Jersey kid ha. If Bowles actually lets Mac get him, I wouldn’t get cute risking losing him by drafting down and hoping he is still there.

Drafting a guard in the top 5 guarantees his 5th year option won’t get picked up.  He’s be the highest paid OL in the NFL.  That’s not even talking about his extension.  

Thats why taking non-premium positions in the top 6 picks year after year are going to fail.  

Archived