Jets Sign C Spencer Long

C Mart

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I still cannot get over the fact that we all watched the same game Todd Bowles did and the way Spencer Long played our HC left him in the game bad snap after bad snap. 

WOW 

Even the commentators were asking, "when are the coaches going to take him out of the game" 2 drives before he got yanked

Center’s spiraling problem just blew up in Jets’ face

November 4, 2018 | 7:18pm

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Spencer Long is a center who’s having trouble snapping the football. This isn’t a lot different from being a cook who can’t boil water or a magician who cannot perform a magic trick.

Long, the 27-year-old center the Jets signed to a four-year, $27.4 million free-agent contract in the offseason, had — on a conservative count — at least a half-dozen errant shotgun snaps to rookie quarterback Sam Darnold in Sunday’s 13-6 loss to the Dolphins.

The last one, which flew over Darnold’s head in the fourth quarter with the Jets on the Miami 42-yard line and trailing 13-3, was the final straw. Long, who reinjured the middle finger on his right hand that has been ailing him in recent weeks, was replaced by backup Jonotthan Harrison on the next series.

“They brought me here for a reason and I’m just trying to do the best I can to help the team,’’ Long said after the game. “Bottom line is I don’t want to let my team down and I felt like I did today.”

Asked if it’s more a mental or physical issue, Long said, “It’s definitely both.”

“When you have an injury where you lose all your comfort, it gets into your head and you can’t snap the ball and it can snowball sometimes,’’ he said. “Unfortunately that happened today.”

Asked if he thinks he’ll be ready next week, Long said: “I’m going to try my best, man. I’ve been trying for the last three weeks. This game’s tough. I’ve been trying to battle through and do what’s best for the team. It’s pretty frustrating. This is my career. I take a lot of pride in this. It hasn’t been going the way I want it to lately.

“I’m trying to be as consistent as possible, but I didn’t play well today, plain and simple.”

Long said he had his elbow banged on a play right before that horrible fourth-quarter snap that sailed past Darnold and jammed the injured finger.

Coach Todd Bowles after the game said Long had not been benched for performance issues but because he reinjured the finger.

offensive linemen are expected to play through the most serious and gruesome of injuries 

it happens every week, and it's Todd Bowles' job to look the other way and let them try 

week to week, predicting who plays and who misses time along the offensive line is super tough 

Jason Peters is playing with a torn biceps, for example. Lane Johnson's knee injury is worse. But will both start this week? They had a bye... 

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I still cannot get over the fact that we all watched the same game Todd Bowles did and the way Spencer Long played our HC left him in the game bad snap after bad snap. 

WOW 

That's on the coach. God was Todd watching the same game ?

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

offensive linemen are expected to play through the most serious and gruesome of injuries 

it happens every week, and it's Todd Bowles' job to look the other way and let them try 

week to week, predicting who plays and who misses time along the offensive line is super tough 

Jason Peters is playing with a torn biceps, for example. Lane Johnson's knee injury is worse. But will both start this week? They had a bye... 

Dude. The center had a broken finger and couldn't snap. 

Jets have “thought about” sitting C Spencer Long this week

Posted by Josh Alper on November 6, 2018, 8:27 AM EST
gettyimages-1036973380-e1541510860290.jp
Getty Images

Among the problems for the Jets offense in their 13-6 loss to the Dolphins were the shotgun snaps delivered by center Spencer Long.

Long made several high snaps, including one that went over quarterback Sam Darnold‘s head and another that Darnold corralled just in time to throw an interception that Dolphins linebacker Jerome Bakerreturned for the game’s only touchdown.

It’s not the first time that Long has had issues with snaps as he’s been dealing with a finger injury for several weeks, but the Jets waited until the final series of the game to turn to Jonotthan Harrison. On Monday, head coach Todd Bowles explained why he didn’t make a switch earlier and said that the team has considered giving Long this week off in order to get him totally right.

“He was healthy,” Bowles said at Monday’s press conference. “He had a great week of practice and he’s our starting center. So, if he was healthy enough to play, he played. When we saw the finger start giving him more issues than normal, we replaced him with Jonotthan. His finger got banged up again. … I’ll see where it goes. It’s been thought about, but I haven’t expressed it to the coaches yet. We will deal with that this week.”

The Jets have a bye after facing the Bills, so Long would get an extended chance to heal up if he does sit out this week.

18 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Keep telling you. Can't blame a GM for injuries. 

You know what you can blame a GM for?  Having "starters" on the team that would be backups or 3rd stringers on other teams.

You know what else you can blame a GM for?  Not having enough depth that you have to start a C with a broken finger who can't hit the broadside of the barn because you have ZERO talent behind mediocre talent in the first place.

You know what else you can blame a GM for?  Having 4 freaking years to fix the issues and doing the same dumb thing every time.

18 hours ago, Lon chaney said:

Dude. The center had a broken finger and couldn't snap. 

Correct.   It was up to Todd to remove him once he saw Long couldn't get the job done correctly. I did like the way Long owned up to it post game. Found it refreshing.

We should try Spencer Long at LG for a few games. Carpenter is not the answer at LG and Long is not the answer at C because he can’t snap. Maybe Long can be serviceable at LG. The free agent market is bare at OL. It’s going to be tough going into the draft with two gaping holes on your OL. We still need to draft at least 3 OL.

Archived