Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memo to the Jets: GO GET TYRANN MATHIEU! 

Tyrann Mathieu’s release a few hours before the official start of free agency Wednesday should prompt this reaction from every Jets fan: GET THE HONEY BADGER!

Gang Green would hit a home run if they sign the versatile former Cardinals defensive back.

It’s basically a no-brainer.

Never mind that the Jets have two budding young safeties in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. Forget the official position designations. Mathieu is a difference maker. In case you live on Mars, the Jets need difference makers.

Mike Maccagnan & Co. shouldn’t dismiss the former All-Pro simply because it says “safety” in his bio.

Adams, Maye and Mathieu are multi-skilled players that Todd Bowles would have a field day using in his scheme. Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers are creative enough to blend the trio’s talents in Gang Green’s defense. There’s no such thing as having too many talented defensive backs.

Mathieu, who’s only 25, is much more than a garden-variety safety. He might play that position about three-quarters of the time in base defense, but coordinators mainly roll out sub packages in today’s NFL. Mathieu, who played his first two seasons under Bowles in Arizona, can be used as a strong safety, free safety, cornerback (typically in the slot) and linebacker.

In case you’re a cave dweller, Bowles used Adams in those roles last season. Imagine Adams moving into the slot, Mathieu in the box and Maye roaming centerfield on one snap only to shuffle them around on the next. They’re three dynamic chess pieces that any coach would love to have.

With plenty of money to spend the Jets would be wise to add the versatile Tyrann Mathieu to already stacked secondary.

With plenty of money to spend the Jets would be wise to add the versatile Tyrann Mathieu to already stacked secondary.

(NORM HALL/GETTY IMAGES)

Philly deploys Malcolm Jenkins, the engine of the Super Bowl champs’ secondary, in a similar fashion. The Jets would have so much defensive flexibility with Adams, Maye and Mathieu at their disposal it would be scary.

Mathieu played a league-high 1,263 snaps (defense and special teams) in 2017, including a ridiculous 99.4 percent of Arizona’s defensive snaps. He allowed 47 receptions for 455 yards and only one touchdown last seasons, according to Pro Football Focus. He was all over the field with 78 total tackles, including six TFLs, seven passes defensed, four quarterback hits, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one sack.

He could help take the Jets defense to the next level. If anyone knows how to strategically use versatile defensive players, it’s Bowles, whose defensive ingenuity is his hallmark.

It’s still head-scratching that the Cardinals, who signed Mathieu to a five-year, $62.5 million deal before the 2016 season, didn’t think that such a quality player would fit in new coach Steve Wilks’ scheme. They officially parted ways with the player after failing to restructure his contract that would have included $19 million in guarantees over the next two years.

Mathieu, fully recovered from knee and shoulder injuries that prematurely ended his 2015 and 2016 seasons, will have a number of suitors, including the Giants, who could be enticing with former Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher.

“I want to go somewhere where football and defense matters,” Mathieu told MMQB.com after his release.

I happen to know the perfect team with those parameters. Mathieu has a personal link with Bowles, whose stepdaughter has a child with the player, but this reunion makes sense from a strictly football sense.

The Jets would rather have Tyrann Mathieu on their side next season.

The Jets would rather have Tyrann Mathieu on their side next season.

(RICK SCUTERI/AP)

The Jets, who are still searching for their quarterback solution, would have a formidable secondary with Mathieu. Think about this personnel on the back end: Adams, Maye, Trumaine Johnson, Mo Claiborne (who the Jets are trying to bring back) and Mathieu.

That’s pretty damn good.

The Jets, who have a boatload of loot — a league-high $90 million in salary cap space entering free agency — have already addressed a handful of areas of need in free agency.

Mathieu won’t come cheap, but great players rarely do.

It’s time to add a game-changer.

“Yooo @Mathieu_Era come link up with the JETS 5,” Adams, a fellow LSU man, tweeted. “It definitely would be a show every Sunday. I’m just saying!”

He ain’t lying.  

I sadly don't think it's happening.  If he really wanted to come here he would be here by now.  By him exhausting his options, it will only lead to him signing somewhere else.  My guess is with a team that's close to winning it all.  

I'm still more than okay with T. Johnson/M. Claiborne/Rookie 2nd CB and Adams and Maye.  I think not getting Honey Badger just makes it so that we kind of really really have to get a stud OLB.   We're not going to get one via Free Agency because there's really no one out there that's worth signing.  I'm unsure of Shaquil Barrett's status and would love to get him but we may have to draft one.  If we go that route then it'll have to be with one of our two 2nd round picks.

I was hoping we'd draft one of either Sony Michel or Ronald Jones II with pick #37 to give us that game breaking RB but that may have to go to drafting either Landry or Arden Key who I think are really the only decent edge rushers that will be available to us in the 2nd round.  With our other 2nd round pick I think it has to be on a CB.

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

I sadly don't think it's happening.  If he really wanted to come here he would be here by now.  By him exhausting his options, it will only lead to him signing somewhere else.  My guess is with a team that's close to winning it all.  

I'm still more than okay with T. Johnson/M. Claiborne/Rookie 2nd CB and Adams and Maye.  I think not getting Honey Badger just makes it so that we kind of really really have to get a stud OLB.   We're not going to get one via Free Agency because there's really no one out there that's worth signing.  I'm unsure of Shaquil Barrett's status and would love to get him but we may have to draft one.  If we go that route then it'll have to be with one of our two 2nd round picks.

I was hoping we'd draft one of either Sony Michel or Ronald Jones II with pick #37 to give us that game breaking RB but that may have to go to drafting either Landry or Arden Key who I think are really the only decent edge rushers that will be available to us in the 2nd round.  With our other 2nd round pick I think it has to be on a CB.

I'm a big fan of the Edge Rusher from Oklahoma with the name that is worth a million points in scrabble or Duke Ejifor. Both guys should be abvailable in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

8 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Macc has been pretty busy the last two days. He’s had to fly to Oklahoma for Mayfield Pro Day and then fly out to Cali for Josh Rosen’s Pro Day. I know we signed a kicker today, but I think hammering out a Badger contract will be a little more time consuming and will require more attention to do. So when he comes back tomorrow, we may have a good deal set to lay out. Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm a big fan of the Edge Rusher from Oklahoma with the name that is worth a million points in scrabble or Duke Ejifor. Both guys should be abvailable in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I've heard about Duke Ejifor I've just never really seen him in action.  I always start watching more highlights of these players as the draft gets closer.  The more I think of it the more I think they have to draft an OLB with the 37th pick.  After the 2nd round there's a huge drop off in edge rushing talent.  As much as I again would love that stud RB with that pick the signing of Crowell kind of throws a wrench into things in a good way where RB isn't necessarily a need in the draft now.  It gives us the flexibility to draft whoever falls to 6 I pray it's Mayfield then we can go with Key or Landry or even Ejifor if he merits that high of a pick when it's all said and done.  

With the second of 2nd round picks I hope they draft the best available CB and it'll still be a very good one in a deep draft.  I could only imagine drafting Mayfield/A. Key/J. Alexander with our top 3 picks in the first two rounds.

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

For what it's worth I just told my buddy who works for the Jets to go tell Mac to get the Honey Badger. His response "we are trying" 

Get it done Mac!!!

Your friend or Mcc said that? 

10 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I've heard about Duke Ejifor I've just never really seen him in action.  I always start watching more highlights of these players as the draft gets closer.  The more I think of it the more I think they have to draft an OLB with the 37th pick.  After the 2nd round there's a huge drop off in edge rushing talent.  As much as I again would love that stud RB with that pick the signing of Crowell kind of throws a wrench into things in a good way where RB isn't necessarily a need in the draft now.  It gives us the flexibility to draft whoever falls to 6 I pray it's Mayfield then we can go with Key or Landry or even Ejifor if he merits that high of a pick when it's all said and done.  

With the second of 2nd round picks I hope they draft the best available CB and it'll still be a very good one in a deep draft.  I could only imagine drafting Mayfield/A. Key/J. Alexander with our top 3 picks in the first two rounds.

I want to sit at 6 and take a QB, I just am worried getting greedy could cost us to just take whoever is left. Mayfield is absolutely who I want.

2a - Edge Rusher unless Billy Price is there 

2b - Center, Edge if we took Price.

3 - RB

BPA rest of draft.

Archived