Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL.com: Giants are the No. 1 landing spot for Tyrann Mathieu

• by Dan Schneier

(Photo: Joe Camporeale, USA TODAY Sports)
Title/Alt Text

Tyrann Mathieu could be the final major signing the New York Giants make this offseason in free agency.

According to NFL.com's Chris Wesseling, the Giants are the No. 1 landing spot for the Honey Badger and make the most sense for both sides.

1. New York Giants: Who was running Bruce Arians' defense when Mathieu was in the 2015 Defensive Player of the Year discussion? That would be new Giants coordinator James Bettcher, who knows how to maximize Mathieu's unique skill set.

Before dumping Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie early this week, the Giants reportedly mulled the idea of converting him to safety alongside Pro Bowler Landon Collins. Here's their chance to plug an ever better player into that role.

Mathieu was released on Wednesday by the Arizona Cardinals to make salary cap room. The Cardinals needed it after they signed Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon to contracts that will drop nearly a $24 million cap hit on the franchise. Mathieu is free to test the open market now and signing him would not count against the NFL's compensatory draft picks for the 2019 NFL Draft since he was released. This will certainly make Mathieu an even more attractive option on the open market. 

New Giants linebacker Alec Ogletree, the "quarterback of the defense" as general manager Dave Gettleman labeled him, has already begun the process of recruiting Mathieu to the Giants. If the Giants do sign Mathieu, he would be joining his former defensive coordinator James Bettcher, the man responsible for designing a defense that perfectly fits Honey Badger's skill set and constantly puts him in a position to succeed. He would also be joining linebacker/defensive end Kareem Martin, who signed a three-year, $21 million contract with the Giants on Wednesday.

Examining potential landing spots:

1. New York Giants: Who was running Bruce Arians' defense when Mathieu was in the 2015 Defensive Player of the Year discussion? That would be new Giants coordinator James Bettcher, who knows how to maximize Mathieu's unique skill set.

Before dumping Dominique Rodgers-Cromartieearly this week, the Giants reportedly mulled the idea of converting him to safety alongside Pro Bowler Landon Collins. Here's their chance to plug an even better player into that role.

2. New York Jets: Similar to the Giants, this fit is about connections. Prior to Bettcher's ascension, Jets coach Todd Bowles was Mathieu's defensive boss in Arizona. While Bowles is set at safety with the promising second-year tandem of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, he could sell Mathieu on the idea of a hybrid role that combines nickel coverage with timely blitzes.

—-We don’t have to sell the idea, that’s exactly  what he does.

—-Both these articles are fluff pieces.  Just speculation.  

But from other sources..it’s btwn Giants/Jets/Packers.  Chiefs interested.  Thread last night merged.

Awfully quiet on the Honey Badger front, this is just to easy of a layup for the Jets, Salary Cap space check, Scheme fit check, Scheme comfort check, former DC who made him an initial star check, family connections inside organization check, last, and final check multiple alumni playing in the same secondary!

Make it happen.

16 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

I know that the potential for a good offense is there. But there are how many ifs?

we need another proven WR from FA because enunwa and anderson are unknowns. We need a TE because theres nobody there. We need a RB who is more than just ok. 

Sure, IF we get those things, they can be decent. Theyre still 4-5 players away from that as things stand.

preach on brother.... whole lotta maybes and unproven talent we're banking on

5 hours ago, Jetscreen said:

Like I posted already, if the Jets get the Honey Badger it will be the very FIRST playmaker this team has. No one's coming up with any answers to my question. So I assume the answer is NO. The jets do not have any playmakers on offense, defense, or ST. Until they start getting some stand out players they'll never win a SB or hell even make the playoffs.

I approve this message. But hey, we're in the midst of a rebuild. Playmakers don't grow on trees. So when you have the opportunity and the cash, you got to give it your best shot. So for sure that management wants him, but does He want to play for the Jets?

Management has to sell him on the fact that there's a plan in place to win the SB...cue the laugh track I know, but this guy needs to be convinced.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Awfully quiet on the Honey Badger front, this is just to easy of a layup for the Jets, Salary Cap space check, Scheme fit check, Scheme comfort check, former DC who made him an initial star check, family connections inside organization check, last, and final check multiple alumni playing in the same secondary!

Make it happen.

No brainer, especially when you consider that $6 of the $10-14M per year it would take to sign him would come directly from releasing Skrine. 

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

No brainer, especially when you consider that $6 of the $10-14M per year it would take to sign him would come directly from releasing Skrine. 

Yup, I think Jets realize this andd will make a offer, it is just a matter of where Badger wants to go... Money will be there wherever he wants to go, please not Patriots.

6 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

no, I live here and see it on the news, read it online and hear it on the radio. They still want him but not at the price he wants. 

BY KEVIN ZIMMERMAN | FEBRUARY 22, 2018 AT 2:27 PM

UPDATED: FEBRUARY 23, 2018 AT 11:16 AM

No player played more snaps during the 2017 NFL season than Arizona Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu.

According to Football Outsiders, Mathieu played 1,263 snaps — 1,056 on defense and 207 on special teams — under defensive coordinator James Bettcher and head coach Bruce Arians last season.

That’s significant in itself and even moreso considering the 25-year-old has twice suffered ACL tears, the latest one in December 2015.

Mathieu’s game-altering plays haven’t been as frequent since that injury — he had one forced fumble and two picks in 2017 — yet he’s remained a solid contributor. He signed a five-year contract extension in 2016, but less than two calendar years later, the Cardinals can evaluate whether his projected production is worth the hefty price tag.

NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal lists Mathieu as a potential high-profile trade candidate for that reason.

Mathieu gets $19 million guaranteed over the next two years if he’s on the roster on March 14. That could inspire the Cardinals to renegotiate his contract or potentially examine the trade market for him, especially with talented safety Budda Baker waiting in the wings. I would recommend just paying Mathieu his money. Bank on him continuing to recover his explosive play another year removed from surgery. Mathieu isn’t a player who is easily replaced.

Mathieu will be paid $5.75 million in base salary but has $8 million of his 2019 salary guaranteed if he’s on the Cardinals by March 14, when the new league year begins. He also has a $5 million roster bonus owed on March 16, per Spotrac.com.

By total cap hit ($14.1 million), he is the fourth-highest cap hit on the Cardinals’ roster for 2018, according to Spotrac.com.

Playing in all 16 regular season games for the first time, Mathieu recorded 78 tackles in 2017, second-most in his five-year career.

A big factor in how Arizona moves forward regarding Mathieu’s contract is first-year coach Steve Wilks, a defensive backs coach by trade. He might have a few new ideas about how to employ Mathieu, who became one of the NFL’s most versatile and productive slot defenders before his last knee injury.

The Cardinals’ refurbishing plans with quarterback Carson Palmer retired and a new coaching staff in place will also relate to what they do with Mathieu.

If they are desperate to give themselves more financial flexibility, finding a way to move Mathieu could be an option. Doing so might not be so easy with his injury history raising concerns for would-be trade partners.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1435955/nfl-rosenthal-tyrann-mathieu-trade-candidate-watch/

20 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I've been thinking it's been taken to long. I don't think he signs here. Stupid Bowles sooner Draft Minkha at 6 than sign Honey Badger.

agree 

if he wanted the Jets he would have been in NJ by now

36 minutes ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

This would be best FA signing yet- actually make fans  super pumped up for season

Hes a stud and w Adams  Maye

Pay the man -cut skrine

Make the honey badger a Jet already

Please do it Mac!!!!

Im gonna party like its 1999 as soon they sign Tyrann Mathieu. 

some insight into his thoughts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921408/article/tyrann-mathieu-its-not-all-about-money-for-me

Tyrann Mathieu became the top fish in a barren free-agent pond after being cut by the Arizona Cardinals on Wednesday.

The dynamic safety spoke to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer after the release, and insists when he picks his next team it won't be about the dollars.

"It's not all about money for me," said Mathieu, ranked No. 5 in NFL.com's Top 101 Free Agents of 2018. "I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it's not too much about anything but winning. I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That's all I want."

That type of talk screams for us to link Mathieu to the New York Giants, who might be shorter on cash than some, but is where the safety's former defensive coordinator James Bettcher resides. Another former Cards DC, Todd Bowles, also coaches in New York with the Jets.

Talking about taking less money and actually seeing it happen for a top free agent in the prime of his career happens rarely -- if ever.

Per Breer, the 25-year-old Mathieu said the Cardinals wanted to take $5 million off the $11 million he was due in 2018. The Honey Badger also rejected a $3 million shave, leading to his release. Those rejections don't come unless a player's agent thinks he can recoup most, if not all, the cash on the open market.

While the fit will be important for Mathieu, when the bidding gets started for a multifaceted chess piece, who not long ago was a Defensive Player of the Year candidate, expect the numbers to soar.

Archived