Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

59 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Because Like I said earlier all players and analysts just love to burn bridges in the NFL on a regular basis. No matter what Todd Bowles personality hes a terrible HC and he displays that every year hes been here.

No one has to burn bridges, they just wouldnt comment on what they think of him.  But they dont have to all have nothing good to say about him.  Ex Dolphins, Cards, Jets etc all talk highly of him.  What bridge needs to be saved by the media?  

The 2nd half of your above post is actually pretty much ado about nothing.  He refuses to play young QB's?  He played Petty and he showed he should never play again.  He had no choice a year ago, once again proving Bowles right, Petty shouldnt play.  Hack has shown exactly what in 2 camps to say he should be handed starts?  Thats what makes a HC, to play a QB who has no right to be on the field?  Your idea of a HC who players will respect is a HC who plays a QB that all know has no chance of winning games?  Forget the sideline persona, thats pure fanspeak.  Rex was animated, we want someone who isnt a clown, we hire a HC who doesnt rant and rave, we complain.  And its funny how when you lack talent adjustments arent noticed.  We change at half, no one notices.  We watch others and we imagine adjustments 

I get it, a handful of fans on a message board dont like him.  But you also need to understand that its not indicative of what people outside of this little world have to say about him.  Right or wrong.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

conservative ? you think that's the only reason fans don't like the guy ? You think analysts are going to come out and bash a head coach out in the open ? You can play conservative when you have a great defense only problem is we don't have a great defense anymore. 

He lost an entire locker room a few years back then claimed as if nothing was wrong until all the dirt started to spew out.

He's terrible at time management and has not shown any signs of improvement since hes been here. His half time adjustments are non existent and he keeps a Defensive coordinator on the fcuking pay roll and keeps taking play calling duties from him over and over. 

You think players don't talk to one another ? He refuses to play our young QB's hanging on to any possible thread he could. He refused to play Hackenberg and now with out even a snap from a second round pick hes probably going to be released since we signed McCown again and Teddy Mediocre Bridgewater and will probably draft a QB. We going to keep 4 again and not give any snaps to the new guy ? You forget the first year Hack was here they said they were not even going to start working with him until seasons end ?

He stands on the sidelines with that stupid look on his face not even arguing with Refs to at least gain a non call here and there like Parcell's used to do. How many stupid red flags do we have to see and lost timeouts ? 

Todd Bowles may be a nice guy and even a smart man but hes a terrible head coach and the funny thing about your post is that you just assumed I didnt like Bowles based on him being conservative when him being conservative is the least of his problems .

Share with me the ex players who have said bad things about Bowles.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one has to burn bridges, they just wouldnt comment on what they think of him.  But they dont have to all have nothing good to say about him.  Ex Dolphins, Cards, Jets etc all talk highly of him.  What bridge needs to be saved by the media?  

I get it, a handful of fans on a message board dont like him.  But you also need to understand that its not indicative of what people outside of this little world have to say about him.  Right or wrong.

I will agree with this. Bowles seems to be universally liked and respected around the league, and though he’s going to fail badly here, I don’t think there are a lot of coaches that could have done a lot better over the last three seasons. The GM is very bad and the resources at QB have been bad, and it would have taken a transcendent coaching talent to overcome all of this. Bowles will get re-hired as a DC somewhere within a week of his firing. Maccagnan will end up hidden away deep in someone’s scouting department, never to be heard from again.

10 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Guys there is literally zero chance we take Minkah Fitzpatrick or any DB at 6... People on the forum like to have fun with it because of the safeties last year 

And Pryor....and Milliner...and Kyle “burnt toast” Wilson and it goes on and on.  There’s been a pattern since before MaccBowles was here and it continuies today. I agree with you that it’s very unlikely we go DB at 6, but I absolutely would not be surprised.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Where exactly did I reference specifically that I knew of any ex players talking bad about Bowles ? I said players talk but I made no exact reference to any specific players saying anything at all in the media. One thing I can say is that I do remember ex players saying the locker room was a disaster and that it was split and that's directly on the HC for not at the very least trying to diffuse the situation and keep it in house. Its more than just X's and O's when your managing 53 men. Could some of this be speculation on my part ? Absolutely ! but I think the writing is on the wall and I do not think this HC is making smart moves in relation to the team and that's painfully obvious when you look at his buddy Kacy Rodgers who continues to keep his job yet get play calling duties stripped from him on a regular basis. Bottom line Bowels is a bad HC IMHO and it shows every Sunday. Have I seen him have some good game plans ? Sure. But for the most part I've seen a hell of a lot more bad than good and very little in the way of adjustment.

We all heard about the Wilkerson and Richardson issues being late for meeting constantly and as the story broke it became clear it had been going on for some time is that good coaching ? It took 3 years for Bowles to suspend Wilk for 1 quarter of football LOL how could you not just shake youre head at this crap ? 2 Idiot coaches in a row ...Tell me you know this stuff would be going on with Harbaugh at the helm 

And FWIW there are plenty of HC around the league that are respected for their knowledge and personality but that does not make them good HC's and that does not open the flood gates for the media to crucify them either. I pretty much go by what I see and I see Todd Bowles making bad decisions more often that not.

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will agree with this. Bowles seems to be universally liked and respected around the league, and though he’s going to fail badly here, I don’t think there are a lot of coaches that could have done a lot better over the last three seasons. The GM is very bad and the resources at QB have been bad, and it would have taken a transcendent coaching talent to overcome all of this. Bowles will get re-hired as a DC somewhere within a week of his firing. Maccagnan will end up hidden away deep in someone’s scouting department, never to be heard from again.

Like I said before does liked and respected make you a good HC or even a competent one ? Also keep in mind Todd Bowles has as much a say on personnel as Macc the owner of the team made that painfully clear.

30 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Where exactly did I reference specifically that I knew of any ex players talking bad about Bowles ? I said players talk but I made no exact reference to any specific players saying anything at all in the media. One thing I can say is that I do remember ex players saying the locker room was a disaster and that it was split and that's directly on the HC for not at the very least trying to diffuse the situation and keep it in house. Its more than just X's and O's when your managing 53 men. Could some of this be speculation on my part ? Absolutely ! but I think the writing is on the wall and I do not think this HC is making smart moves in relation to the team and that's painfully obvious when you look at his buddy Kacy Rodgers who continues to keep his job yet get play calling duties stripped from him on a regular basis. Bottom line Bowels is a bad HC IMHO and it shows every Sunday. Have I seen him have some good game plans ? Sure. But for the most part I've seen a hell of a lot more bad than good and very little in the way of adjustment.

We all heard about the Wilkerson and Richardson issues being late for meeting constantly and as the story broke it became clear it had been going on for some time is that good coaching ? It took 3 years for Bowles to suspend Wilk for 1 quarter of football LOL how could you not just shake youre head at this crap ? 2 Idiot coaches in a row ...Tell me you know this stuff would be going on with Harbaugh at the helm 

And FWIW there are plenty of HC around the league that are respected for their knowledge and personality but that does not make them good HC's and that does not open the flood gates for the media to crucify them either. I pretty much go by what I see and I see Todd Bowles making bad decisions more often that not.

Your Bowles hate is impressive. But it is far too emotional which causes me to discount your "opinion".

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Don’t worry Bowles and Macagnan will both be gone this time next year.  Robby won’t be able to save them next season

So you're saying the Johnson's are going to eat 2 years of contracts for each?

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Like I said before does liked and respected make you a good HC or even a competent one ? Also keep in mind Todd Bowles has as much a say on personnel as Macc the owner of the team made that painfully clear.

Nowhere has it ever been made clear that Bowles has as much to say on personnel as Macc.  Every pick is on the GM.  He puts his name on them.  Even if a HC convinces him to make a pick, ultimately he made the pick and knows he will have to answer to it.  

Mo was suspended for the 1st time in 2016, it didnt take Bowles 3 seasons.  Everyone says hes a disciplinarian, fans here know better.

None of this makes you a moron or an idiot. Again, youre alone other than a handful of emotional fans on a message board.  

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Actions speak louder than words. Players don't respect a coach when they repeatedly show up late or not at all to practice, unless of course they're in the wrong time zone. Players who respect a coach don't lay down the first half of most games. As kids a lot of us liked the weak teacher who couldn't control the group, their was no accountability, and we had good things to say about that teacher too though in hindsight you see it for what it really was. Before you say these players aren't kids don't fool yourself, they are, anyone under 30 is still a kid particularly pro athletes who have been coddled and sheltered from their decisions. Yes, there are outliers, but mostly the players are just big kids.

For people to say "If they didn't like him they just wouldn't comment" get real. "No comment" is a bad comment, and anyone grown up enough with even a semblance of understanding of work politics knows it. How does this sound:

Reporter "Hey Josh, do you think Bowles is doing a good job coaching"

Josh "No comment"

Reporter "Hey Mo, do you think Coach Bowles does a good job controlling the locker room?"

Mo "Hahahaha, no comment"

That isn't the answer 99% of the time if you want to keep your job or get another one. As others have said liking a person and thinking they're a good coach are two different things.

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Your Bowles hate is impressive. But it is far too emotional which causes me to discount your "opinion".

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean . I don't hate Todd Bowles I just do not think hes a particularly good coach. Most of what I'm saying is based on fact . He lost a locker room, hes terrible at time management, his adjustments at halftime have shown nothing, and he has a buddy at DC he continues to employ even though he keeps taking play calling responsibilities away from him, he played Sheldon Richardson at LB and he keeps players that are melting down on the field in the game for no apparent reason See Buster Skrine. If you want to stick up for Todd Bowles just for the sake of argument then this debate is a waste of my time since you have nothing but "what people around the league say" as you're only point to defend him with. 

So.....saw all these threads got merged and....

The HB signed a 1 yr/$7mill contract with the Texans...and we didn't bite?  Or, was he not interested?

There was talk about a multi-yr deal for a lot more than that amount that perhaps we would be unwilling to commit to, and the guy played for Bowles in the past.  There was also talk that we'd save $6 mill cutting Skrine.

Just find it weird that we wouldn't have been in at the cost of this deal.

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean . I don't hate Todd Bowles I just do not think hes a particularly good coach. Most of what I'm saying is based on fact . He lost a locker room, hes terrible at time management, his adjustments at halftime have shown nothing, and he has a buddy at DC he continues to employ even though he keeps taking play calling responsibilities away from him, he played Sheldon Richardson at LB and he keeps players that are melting down on the field in the game for no apparent reason See Buster Skrine. If you want to stick up for Todd Bowles just for the sake of argument then this debate is a waste of my time since you have nothing but "what people around the league say" as you're only point to defend him with. 

terrible at time management

Understatement of the year, not only terrible but terrible like it's a four year old as head coach with no concept of how the rules or plays work. 

On 3/17/2018 at 11:43 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

terrible at time management

Understatement of the year, not only terrible but terrible like it's a four year old as head coach with no concept of how the rules or plays work. 

Reminds me of when Herm Edwards needed to hire Dick Curl simply to watch the clock for him.  We gave that old dude the nickname Grandfather Clock.  Todd needs a guy like that.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, Smashmouth said:

Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that you just love to argue with everyone. lol

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Reminds me of when Herm Edwards needed to hire Dick Curl simply to watch the clock for him.  We gave that old dude the nickname Grandfather Clock.  Todd needs a guy like that.

I remember that. Craziest thing ever.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:18 PM, greenwave81 said:

So.....saw all these threads got merged and....

The HB signed a 1 yr/$7mill contract with the Texans...and we didn't bite?  Or, was he not interested?

There was talk about a multi-yr deal for a lot more than that amount that perhaps we would be unwilling to commit to, and the guy played for Bowles in the past.  There was also talk that we'd save $6 mill cutting Skrine.

Just find it weird that we wouldn't have been in at the cost of this deal.

He was not interested.  Confirmed today that he turned down $8M from the Cardinals to go to the Texans for $7M.  Local sports talk guys here in Phoenix seem to have the skinny.  Basically, Mathieu was seeing shrinking playing time in AZ and was being relegated to 65% of the snaps on Defense.  He was seeing more slot action and starting to get bumped by the Cardinals rookie Safety Budha Baker.  Mathieu wanted an opportunity for more playing time in a significant role as a starting Safety.  So, you guessed it, he wasn't going to get that role with the Jets either because of Adams and Maye.

Bottom line - It wasn't about the money.  He took less to play with Houston where he will likely be the starting Strong Safety.  He didn't want to be a slot corner, a hybrid player, a gadget guy, etc.  He didn't stay in Arizona even though they offered him more money and I'm pretty damn sure he wouldn't come here for more money either.

This probably puts a bow on this thread.

Archived