Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the Badger don't get me wrong but we're going to pay one of the best safeties in the league to come in and play nickel corner? at a star safety salary? Doesn't seem to make sense to me 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I love the Badger don't get me wrong but we're going to pay one of the best safeties in the league to come in and play nickel corner? at a star safety salary? Doesn't seem to make sense to me 

DON'T SAY THAT. If it doesn't make sense we might just do it. lol

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

As much as I'd love to see the Honey Badger here  he's come out and said he'd take less $$ for a chance to win. Kirk Cousins 2.0 ?

According to the snap counts, slot CB is the position he played most often. And while most teams base D's have only 4 D-backs, teams are in a nickle D far more than they are in their base D. If you want to call him a S instead of a CB go ahead.  It was just mean the Jets are in a Big Nickle D -- 3 Safeties -- which Bellichick invented when he signed Victor Green as his third S after the Jets released him. 

Bottom line is that the Honey Badger can cover and can play the run. No matter what you call his position, their is a spot for him in the lineup. Maybe we can finally do away with that useless group of OLB's the Jets refer to as their "Rush" LBs.

15 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

DON'T SAY THAT. If it doesn't make sense we might just do it. lol

This is the hottest of takes but if we sign the Badger why not trade Adams or Maye in a deal to move up for a qb? I just can't see giving Mathieu all this money to play nickel corner 

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

According to the snap counts, slot CB is the position he played most often. And while most teams base D's have only 4 D-backs, teams are in a nickle D far more than they are in their base D. If you want to call him a S instead of a CB go ahead.  It was just mean the Jets are in a Big Nickle D -- 3 Safeties -- which Bellichick invented when he signed Victor Green as his third S after the Jets released him. 

Bottom line is that the Honey Badger can cover and can play the run. No matter what you call his position, their is a spot for him in the lineup. Maybe we can finally do away with that useless group of OLB's the Jets refer to as their "Rush" LBs.

Errrr I think you quoted the wrong post dude.  I never mentioned that he is a safety not a CB.

5 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

I see the logic in replacing Skrine with the Honey Badger just not sure on the dollars especially with the weakness of other position groups.  **looks at offense**

Why do people hate our WRs? I think they're going to be fine. Especially if Enunwa is healthy.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

should have been all in on ASJ

I agree.  We should've at the very least came a little higher with the offer.  People keep bringing up the bobbles and the drops that he had but the kid is 25 years old why is he not being given a chance to improve.  Not for the nothing but he also quit drinking so maybe he was just going through some physical adjustments to it throughout the season.  I would've at least have given him a 2 year deal at 11 million to keep him here to grow with whoever QB is taking the snaps.  Again he was only 25 and he was 6'6''.  I'm just a fan of big bodied TE's and I felt he was perfect.

Just now, JetFanatic said:

I agree.  We should've at the very least came a little higher with the offer.  People keep bringing up the bobbles and the drops that he had but the kid is 25 years old why is he not being given a chance to improve.  Not for the nothing but he also quit drinking so maybe he was just going through some physical adjustments to it throughout the season.  I would've at least have given him a 2 year deal at 11 million to keep him here to grow with whoever QB is taking the snaps.  Again he was only 25 and he was 6'6''.  I'm just a fan of big bodied TE's and I felt he was perfect.

Tomlinson and Sterling stepped up at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Improving at C should help our line as a whole. Jets do need to sign a TE. 

I think Crowell is an improvement over Forte. 

I agree that a TE is not a necessity right now. I'd like to see how Leggit (sp?) Comes back from.his injury

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm not convinced we've improved at center.  It would be nice to play 21st century football with a TE who can catch and block.  Crowell while an improvement over Forte doesn't exactly make our offense that much better.

Just now, Jetscode1 said:

I'm not convinced we've improved at center.  It would be nice to play 21st century football with a TE who can catch and block.  Crowell while an improvement over Forte doesn't exactly make our offense that much better.

I could play C and be better than Wesley Johnson. They improved at center

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I like Crowell also. Like Forte, who I really liked, he catches passes out of the backfield. Nice weapon to have.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Tomlinson and Sterling stepped up at the end of the season. 

This is definitely true.  I really like what I saw out of Sterling and Tomlinson turned out to be an above average blocker and a pretty nice pass catcher.  Would you guys be comfortable going into next season with Tomlinson/Sterling/Leggett as our starting 3 TE's?  

To be honest I wouldn't.  They will probably bring in Ebron and release Sterling.  Or they will draft a TE and release Sterling.

This guy is not just the best Slot corner in the game but hes versatile if the wrong defense is called he can easily adjust and disrupt plays all over the field. With Slot receivers going off all over the league and moving chains a lot see (Patriots) this guy will be invaluabl;e and probably give us the best secondary in the NFL in a predominantly passing league.  Pay Him Grandpa Bowels 

We need this guy like....

A.  A 3rd Safety is necessary.

B.  A Slot CB who is an egomaniac and expects northward of $10 MM/year is good for team chemistry

C.  An increase in IQ of +20 to get to average

D.  All of the above

AROUND THE NFL FREE AGENCY

NEXT >< PREVIOUS

Published: March 14, 2018 at 03:08 p.m.

Updated: March 15, 2018 at 10:57 a.m.

Seven potential landing spots for Tyrann Mathieu

Chris Wesseling

Around the NFL Writer

Print

Whereas Jordy Nelson's release can be attributed to a decline in ability, the Cardinalsset Tyrann Mathieu free primarily because of scheme fit and salary-cap permutations.

New Arizona coach Steve Wilks is a product of the Carolina system, which doesn't place a high monetary value on defensive backs. While Mathieu struggled to make plays early last season, he showed signs of returning to 2015 All-Pro form down the stretch.

FREE AGENCY
  ▶ Battista: QBs dominated FA before it began
  ▶ Best team fits for DT Ndamukong Suh
  ▶ Ranking best fits for free-agent WRs
  ▶ Top 101 FAs: Who's taken? Still available?
  ▶ QB Rankings: Best 32 passers right now
  ▶ Rosenthal: Watkins among overpriced FAs

2018 NFL DRAFT
  ▶ Picking Barkley at No. 1 a no-brainer
  ▶ DJ's Top 50 prospects 2.0
  ▶ Bucky Brooks' Mock Draft 2.0
  ▶ DJ's Mock Draft 2.0

One of the NFL's most versatile and valuable defensive stars when healthy, Mathieu enters Around The NFL's Top 101 Free Agents of 2018at No. 4 overall.

Within minutes of his release, two NFL coaches had already reached out to NFL Network's Steve Wyche, expressing hope that their teams would pursue the safety-cornerback hybrid.

Examining potential landing spots:

1. New York Giants: Who was running Bruce Arians' defense when Mathieu was in the 2015 Defensive Player of the Year discussion? That would be new Giants coordinator James Bettcher, who knows how to maximize Mathieu's unique skill set.

Before dumping Dominique Rodgers-Cromartieearly this week, the Giants reportedly mulled the idea of converting him to safety alongside Pro Bowler Landon Collins. Here's their chance to plug an even better player into that role.

2. New York Jets: Similar to the Giants, this fit is about connections. Prior to Bettcher's ascension, Jets coach Todd Bowles was Mathieu's defensive boss in Arizona. While Bowles is set at safety with the promising second-year tandem of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, he could sell Mathieu on the idea of a hybrid role that combines nickel coverage with timely blitzes.

3. Oakland Raiders: The Raiders have a dire need at cornerback and are ready to move on from free-agent Reggie Nelson at free safety. With the ability to fill multiple holes in the defensive backfield, Mathieu would be a three-down godsend for new coach Jon Gruden.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: When the Bucs hired Brenston Buckner as defensive line coach last month, Mathieu made it clear that he views the former Cardinals assistant as a future coordinator. Buckner isn't Mathieu's only tie to Tampa. General manager Jason Licht was Arizona's VP of player personnel when Mathieu was drafted in 2013.

5. New Orleans Saints: Saints wideout Michael Thomas has been openly recruiting Mathieu, a former LSU star and proud son of New Orleans. Unless the Honey Badger is willing to consider a hometown discount, though, the Saints might be reluctant to devote more spending to a secondary that has already added safety Kurt Coleman and cornerback Patrick Robinson.

6. Green Bay Packers: New general manager Brain Gutekunst is bringing a more aggressive approach to free agency, opening the pipeline to expensive veterans. With Damarious Randalltraded to Cleveland and Morgan Burnettreaching the open market, coordinator Mike Pettine could use a multi-dimension weapon of Mathieu's caliber to headline an overhauled secondary.

7. Houston Texans: The Texans struck out in their attempt to land former Patriotscornerback Malcolm Butler. Might they switch gears to Mathieu as a fallback option in their secondary? Three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt is already doing his part to lure Mathieu to Houston.

5 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

2. New York Jets: Similar to the Giants, this fit is about connections. Prior to Bettcher's ascension, Jets coach Todd Bowles was Mathieu's defensive boss in Arizona. While Bowles is set at safety with the promising second-year tandem of Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, he could sell Mathieu on the idea of a hybrid role that combines nickel coverage with timely blitzes.

Make it happen Macc.

Memo to the Jets: GO GET TYRANN MATHIEU! 

Tyrann Mathieu’s release a few hours before the official start of free agency Wednesday should prompt this reaction from every Jets fan: GET THE HONEY BADGER!

Gang Green would hit a home run if they sign the versatile former Cardinals defensive back.

It’s basically a no-brainer.

Never mind that the Jets have two budding young safeties in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. Forget the official position designations. Mathieu is a difference maker. In case you live on Mars, the Jets need difference makers.

Mike Maccagnan & Co. shouldn’t dismiss the former All-Pro simply because it says “safety” in his bio.

Adams, Maye and Mathieu are multi-skilled players that Todd Bowles would have a field day using in his scheme. Bowles and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers are creative enough to blend the trio’s talents in Gang Green’s defense. There’s no such thing as having too many talented defensive backs.

Mathieu, who’s only 25, is much more than a garden-variety safety. He might play that position about three-quarters of the time in base defense, but coordinators mainly roll out sub packages in today’s NFL. Mathieu, who played his first two seasons under Bowles in Arizona, can be used as a strong safety, free safety, cornerback (typically in the slot) and linebacker.

In case you’re a cave dweller, Bowles used Adams in those roles last season. Imagine Adams moving into the slot, Mathieu in the box and Maye roaming centerfield on one snap only to shuffle them around on the next. They’re three dynamic chess pieces that any coach would love to have.

With plenty of money to spend the Jets would be wise to add the versatile Tyrann Mathieu to already stacked secondary.
With plenty of money to spend the Jets would be wise to add the versatile Tyrann Mathieu to already stacked secondary.IMAGE BY: NORM HALL/GETTY IMAGES

Philly deploys Malcolm Jenkins, the engine of the Super Bowl champs’ secondary, in a similar fashion. The Jets would have so much defensive flexibility with Adams, Maye and Mathieu at their disposal it would be scary.

Mathieu played a league-high 1,263 snaps (defense and special teams) in 2017, including a ridiculous 99.4 percent of Arizona’s defensive snaps. He allowed 47 receptions for 455 yards and only one touchdown last seasons, according to Pro Football Focus. He was all over the field with 78 total tackles, including six TFLs, seven passes defensed, four quarterback hits, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one sack.

He could help take the Jets defense to the next level. If anyone knows how to strategically use versatile defensive players, it’s Bowles, whose defensive ingenuity is his hallmark.

It’s still head-scratching that the Cardinals, who signed Mathieu to a five-year, $62.5 million deal before the 2016 season, didn’t think that such a quality player would fit in new coach Steve Wilks’ scheme. They officially parted ways with the player after failing to restructure his contract that would have included $19 million in guarantees over the next two years.

Mathieu, fully recovered from knee and shoulder injuries that prematurely ended his 2015 and 2016 seasons, will have a number of suitors, including the Giants, who could be enticing with former Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher.

“I want to go somewhere where football and defense matters,” Mathieu told MMQB.com after his release.

I happen to know the perfect team with those parameters. Mathieu has a personal link with Bowles, whose stepdaughter has a child with the player, but this reunion makes sense from a strictly football sense.

The Jets would rather have Tyrann Mathieu on their side next season.
The Jets would rather have Tyrann Mathieu on their side next season.IMAGE BY: RICK SCUTERI/AP

The Jets, who are still searching for their quarterback solution, would have a formidable secondary with Mathieu. Think about this personnel on the back end: Adams, Maye, Trumaine Johnson, Mo Claiborne (who the Jets are trying to bring back) and Mathieu.

That’s pretty damn good.

The Jets, who have a boatload of loot — a league-high $90 million in salary cap space entering free agency — have already addressed a handful of areas of need in free agency.

Mathieu won’t come cheap, but great players rarely do.

It’s time to add a game-changer.

“Yooo @Mathieu_Era come link up with the JETS 5,” Adams, a fellow LSU man, tweeted. “It definitely would be a show every Sunday. I’m just saying!”

He ain’t lying.  

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I think the biggest things are left off this list. The family connection as well as playing with a close friend. Don't screw this up Macc let's get this man signed!

Archived