Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I read he may still re-sign with the Cards.

I think there is zero chance he resigns with AZ.  They wanted him to take a cut cut.  He was on NFL last week saying he had $19M left on his contract and he was getting every penny of that.

And he will, easily.  If he was released last week, he may have been the #1 Free agent on the market.

So sign Mathieu and draft Fitzpatrick, and our All-Safety Defense is well and truly on it's way to Elite Status.

Mathieu -- Left Outside Safety

Adams -- Left Middle Safety

Maye -- Right Middle Safety

Fitzpatrick -- Right Outside Safety

Trumaine Johnson -- #1 CB on #1 WR Safety

Honestly, I can't see how this new form of Anti-Pass Defense in the modern Passing NFL could go wrong!

Seriously, we have got to keep developing this new 3-3-5 Defense System.  Three down linemen, three linebacks/Defensive Ends, a #1 CB to cover their #1 WR, and four Safeties.  Brilliant!

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So sign Mathieu and draft Fitzpatrick, and our All-Safety Defense is well and truly on it's way to Elite Status.

Honestly, I can't see how this new form of Anti-Pass Defense in the modern Passing NFL could go wrong!

I was thinking more that in 4 DB sets, “Marcus Maye, your playing time as a starter is already over. We hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.”

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I am a Mayes Adams fan but this post is pretty damn funny. 

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some Jets fans are salivating over this, and just imagine if we get that edge rusher at #6 with Bradley Chubb. 

We'll finally have that elite defense that we couldnt put together with the last 9 1st round picks going to the defense. 

I should just sit back and find a way to enjoy it. 

Just to clarify, he does play a different role on D then Skrine, yes?

I feel the hate coming hard for Bowles if this doesn’t happen. Lol. He’s coming in at 12-14 mil. I’d like to see it, but not so sure.

And if you were HB, would you want to work with your baby momma’s Dad, step or not.

Iffy...fingers crossed.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seriously, we have got to keep developing this new 3-3-5 Defense System.  Three down linemen, three linebacks/Defensive Ends, a #1 CB to cover their #1 WR, and four Safeties.  Brilliant!

You forgot Teddy Bridgewater -- Short Right Outside of the Inside Safety

5 minutes ago, TnT said:

I feel the hate coming hard for Bowles if this doesn’t happen. Lol. He’s coming in at 12-14 mil. I’d like to see it, but not so sure.

And if you were HB, would you want to work with your baby momma’s Dad, step or not.

Iffy...fingers crossed.

I thought so as well. I thought Skrine was a slot corner and Skrine was a safety that has played some slot roles at times. 

I guess we can play some sort of a 3 safety defense. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Don't forget our smallest safety, Darron Lee. 

Bowles will keep him away from the Jets. Do you think he wants to play for a relative? What if he's late for a meeting? Will Bowles pull another Wilkerson and sit him half the season? I don't see any of Bowles ex players lining up to play for him. He couldn't recruit a puppy.

7 minutes ago, TnT said:

Iffy...fingers crossed.

Money means nothing to us. Its like water on the island of Fiji... it just flows. We gave McCown 10 milly because we had to get rid of the money and have no place to spend it. 

Clearly we ought to bring him in. Our secondary is still in need of talent infusion. Macc daddy's attempt to draft anything but safeties has been a bust sandwich.

Get him here. Turn him loose. Resign Clairborne. LSU-up! 

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

#MightWork

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I thought so as well. I thought Skrine was a slot corner and Skrine was a safety that has played some slot roles at times

I guess we can play some sort of a 3 safety defense. 

I'd say that 67% of total snaps is more than just "at times".

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Bowles will keep him away from the Jets. Do you think he wants to play for a relative? What if he's late for a meeting? Will Bowles pull another Wilkerson and sit him half the season? I don't see any of Bowles ex players lining up to play for him. He couldn't recruit a puppy.

Point of correction- Bowles only sat and disciplined Wilk when they were in a position to cut him and not risk him going on IR.  Before that it was "Wilk is my guy"

11 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'd say that 67% of total snaps is more than just "at times".

And what is the percentage of the total snaps from the guy he'd be replacing???

If it's somewhere in the 90-something % then you can see how calling 67% "at times". 

We dont have to make this into a thing. Tyrann is a good player, but he has always been considered a safety in this league and I've never once seen anyone call him a corner. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye back to back was a good use of draft resources because good safeties are hard to find. Also, Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu are free to anyone who can give them a good home. 

Whatever, water under the bridge. We now have a top CB, a guy ranked 3rd best ILB in 2017, tough inside running RB, soon to sign a Center, a couple of vets that at least know HOW to play QB, unlike Petty & Hack, we're in position for a QB in the draft & we still have a fair amount of money.

Looking good so far. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye back to back was a good use of draft resources because good safeties are hard to find. Also, Earl Thomas and Tyrann Mathieu are free to anyone who can give them a good home. 

Earl Thomas - are you sure your info is correct?

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And what is the percentage of the total snaps from the guy he'd be replacing???

If it's somewhere in the 90-something % then you can see how calling 67% "at times". 

We dont have to make this into a thing. Tyrann is a good player, but he has always been considered a safety in this league and I've never once seen anyone call him a corner. 

Agreed. But just FYI, PFF considers him a CB: https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tyrann-mathieu/7850

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cutting skrine saves 6m iirc.

honey badger will want about 12ish and can play safety/lb in addition to slot?

and we then can be done with cbs as far as FA is concerned? (Having a 1 and a slot and expecting one of our million unknown cbs to step up)

make it happen tanny

Not sure this has been mentioned but Bowles daughter has a child with Mathieu.  Unlike offensive free agents who are scared to come here, this place is like Utopia for DBs.  Match his highest offer and bring him in.  This would be the most talented secondary the Jets have ever had, Regis and Cro included.

Archived