Cardinal release Honey Badger Tyrann Mathieu - MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports the Texans are "seriously interested" in free agent DB Tyrann Mathieu.

Mathieu would be a big get for the Texans, who featured one of the league's worst secondaries last year. Houston already made a splash by poaching Aaron Colvin from Jacksonville and can go for the jugular by reeling in Mathieu. Still just 25, the Honey Badger was let go by Arizona on Wednesday after refusing a pay cut. He was a first-team All-Pro as recently as 2015.

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports the Texans are "seriously interested" in free agent DB Tyrann Mathieu.

Mathieu would be a big get for the Texans, who featured one of the league's worst secondaries last year. Houston already made a splash by poaching Aaron Colvin from Jacksonville and can go for the jugular by reeling in Mathieu. Still just 25, the Honey Badger was let go by Arizona on Wednesday after refusing a pay cut. He was a first-team All-Pro as recently as 2015.

If he goes to Houston, and we made a competitive offer, hes a moron.

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im hoping they are working out the details and an announcement will come this afternoon. 

If that was the case we would be hearing about it - If we were even interested we would be hearing about it. 

Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Why Giants or Jets aren't likely destinations for 'Honey Badger'     http://nyp.st/2HDlBsu via @nypostsports 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The only worry here is if the Jets leaked this to basically let the fan base know it's not happening. 

Hopefully just speculation on their part.

This article says don’t expect him to sign with the Jets or Giants but literally gives no reason why the author thinks that it true.  

Welp, the Jets aren't getting him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/tyrann-mathieu-a-winning-culture-matters-more-to-me-than-money/

Tyrann Mathieu: A winning culture matters more to me than money

Tyrann Mathieu is an unrestricted free agent, and he says breaking the bank is not his top priority.

Mathieu told Albert Breer of SI.com that when choosing his next team, he’s going to choose the team that he thinks will make him the best player he can be, while playing on the best team he can play on.

“It’s not all about money for me,” he said. “I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it’s not too much about anything but winning. I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That’s all I want.”

The Cardinals missed the playoffs the last two years, and now they’ll have a new coaching staff, and so Mathieu declined the team’s request that he take a pay cut. He’ll shop himself, not necessarily to the highest bidder, but to the team where he thinks he’s going to have the best chance to be a big part of a winner.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/tyrann-mathieu-a-winning-culture-matters-more-to-me-than-money/

Tyrann Mathieu is an unrestricted free agent, and he says breaking the bank is not his top priority.

Mathieu told Albert Breer of SI.com that when choosing his next team, he’s going to choose the team that he thinks will make him the best player he can be, while playing on the best team he can play on.

“It’s not all about money for me,” he said. “I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it’s not too much about anything but winning. I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That’s all I want.”

The Cardinals missed the playoffs the last two years, and now they’ll have a new coaching staff, and so Mathieu declined the team’s request that he take a pay cut. He’ll shop himself, not necessarily to the highest bidder, but to the team where he thinks he’s going to have the best chance to be a big part of a winner.

Pfft says you. That sounds like he wants to be right here. 

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

does bowles have any more hot daughters to sweeten the pot?

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Well...you gotta give Jamal and "A" for effort......this is from just a few minutes ago:

I can't belive the Jets organization are happy with this - assuming they're not interested.  If the Jets really are interested they shouldn't have a problem getting a deal done.  I don't think they are interested though.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't belive the Jets organization are happy with this - assuming they're not interested.  If the Jets really are interested they shouldn't have a problem getting a deal done.  I don't think they are interested though.

If they are totally against signing him then they probably don't care for it but I'd have to imagine players wanting to play together again isn't much of a thorn in their side. I think if it were in relation to the QB position they'd likely have a different opinion.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

If they are totally against signing him then they probably don't care for it but I'd have to imagine players wanting to play together again isn't much of a thorn in their side. I think if it were in relation to the QB position they'd likely have a different opinion.

Remember all the guys on the Broncos lobbying for Cousins on twitter....I wonder how that will play with Case Keenum when he shows up.  lol

https://nypost.com/2015/01/15/todd-bowles-ex-cheerleader-daughter-has-kid-with-honey-badger/

Todd Bowles’ grandchild has some awfully good genes.

The new Jets coach’s stepdaughter is the stunning Sydni Paige Russell, 21, an LSU senior and former New Orleans Hornets cheerleader.

And the Bowles family recently added a new member when Russell had a child with Tyrann Mathieu, the electrifying safety for the Cardinals, where Bowles previously worked as the defensive coordinator.

Russell and Mathieu have been an item for several years, dating back to their time together at LSU, where the 5-foot-9 Mathieu earned the nickname “Honey Badger” on the strength of his highlight-reel returns and fearlessness in the open field. It’s also where Mathieu ran into trouble: He missed the entire 2012 season due to repeated marijuana violations.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b2

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

thanks for watching!

When he was selected in the third round of the 2013 Draft by Arizona, Russell was there by his side:

Tyrann Mathieu celebrates at his home in New Orleans. His girl is loving it.

It’s easy to see the Honey Badger roaming the Big Apple.

Tyrann Mathieu was officially released by the Arizona Cardinals on Wednesday afternoon. Now, due to multiple connections within the organization, many are wondering if the flexible safety is a fit with the Jets.

Mathieu has already been recruited by none other than fellow LSU Tiger Jamal Adams. Plus, Todd Bowles is said to love Mathieu, not only as a player, but as a person. There’s a familial relationship there, as Mathieu has a child with the coach’s stepdaughter.

From a football standpoint, the Jets run an identical defensive scheme to that of Arizona’s — another connection to Bowles — so Mathieu wouldn’t have too much to learn.

From the outside looking in, such a move may not make sense. With Adams and Marcus Maye at safety, the Jets are set. However, Mathieu is as versatile as they come. He can play both safety, nickel corner and outside linebacker. Bowles, meanwhile, is terrific at rotating players in and out of his secondary and is a fan of players he can move around. Even with Adams and Maye locked into starting roles, Mathieu still has a spot in Gang Green’s defense.

Mike Maccagnan has been adamant about improving the state of his secondary. If he can somehow replace Buster Skrine and his contract with Mathieu, it would be an absolute no-brainer.

A schematic fit, the Jets have the cap space to make this deal. The question is how much money would they want to spend on a player whose top priority would be to play the slot?

With CB Trumaine Johnson already locked up, the Jets are well on their way to boasting a dominant secondary once again. With Mathieu, they have the potential to shut down the NFL for the next few years.

Mathieu will be 26 in May, so he would only be adding to the youth movement that the Jets have harped on. New York should absolutely be in on him if given the opportunity.

If the Jets can pull that off, they will have one of the best secondaries in the NFL for the foreseeable future.

Archived