Demario Davis To The Saints

Grandy

1 minute ago, thomasjohn511 said:

doesnt make any sense if he was only a mil more a year then avery why wouldnt we just resign him 

It made sense to Mac, which really means it doesn’t make sense to a normal human being. 

4 minutes ago, thomasjohn511 said:

doesnt make any sense if he was only a mil more a year then avery why wouldnt we just resign him 

One guys 26, the other 29. Continuity should come into consideration. As for Davis, well have no idea whether that's something he settled for once Williams signed or we just rather Williams as the long term fit.

good point that we got younger but whos gonna go in for him on 3rd downs? he cant cover,  hes worse then demario in coverage.. and demario was bad... ive been reading titans forums to get an idea on him... put it this way jet fans r mad we got rid of demario and titans fans are not mad they didnt resign avery and jet fans are usally alot more critical of their players lol

15 minutes ago, j4jets said:

It made sense to Mac, which really means it doesn’t make sense to a normal human being. 

He's close in PFF rankings to Davis, and he's younger with more quality seasons to offer, it's a good move imo.

14 minutes ago, Grandy said:

He's close in PFF rankings to Davis, and he's younger with more quality seasons to offer, it's a good move imo.

1. Demario has intangibles PFF doesn’t measure. 

2. Demario can play well in this scheme. The other guy (Avery?)? Not a given. 

3. Continuity is good unless you’re making a vertical move. Horizontal moves must have enough cap savings to justify it. 

Good luck Demario.

As for whether or not we should have re-signed him over Avery? Eh, push. Avery isn't proven in our system but stands a good chance of being a quality player at MIKE, maybe for a little longer than Davis because of age.

I would have been more than happy to retain DD, but I'm fine with what they did instead.

I liked Davis a lot last year, but $8M/year for one good season of an aging vet LB is not exactly something I can blame the team for not being interested in.  For a team with a long way still to go, the combo of younger and cheaper (while still having a solid resume of his own) makes some sense.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I liked Davis a lot last year, but $8M/year for one good season of an aging vet LB is not exactly something I can blame the team for not being interested in.  For a team with a long way still to go, the combo of younger and cheaper (while still having a solid resume of his own) makes some sense.

He was only a mil more than Williamson, no?

3 years of age really isnt that big of a deal.  Davis clearly isnt slowing down.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He was only a mil more than Williamson, no?

3 years of age really isnt that big of a deal.  Davis clearly isnt slowing down.

Yeah, in fairness the Williamson deal is more than I really would have thought/liked, and I'm not celebrating it at all.  Just kind of get the mindset.  Mostly a matter of indifference rather than celebrating or bemoaning.

This is fine, and it has nothing to do with the $1m/year difference (though that's a nice bonus).

Davis had exactly 1 really good season prior to age 29, only in a show-me season after being asked (forced) to take a pay cut to the vet minimum. Players like that are prime candidates to go right back to the players they were right before that.

He was meh for us first time around, was a recent salary cap dump by the Browns at half this new amount, and then had 1 good season with his career's back against the wall. If this recent career high note becomes his new career baseline, as he enters his late 20s/early 30s, so be it.

I mentioned this already, my son lives in Tennessee, huge football follower, says Williamson is a STUD! 26 years old & his best years in front of him plus he doesn't do that stupid Jesus on the cross thing after a tackle. UPGRADE! 

If you can keep upgrading positions even by a small amount you've done well. Our new CB is badazz too.

1 hour ago, thomasjohn511 said:

good point that we got younger but whos gonna go in for him on 3rd downs? he cant cover,  hes worse then demario in coverage.. and demario was bad... ive been reading titans forums to get an idea on him... put it this way jet fans r mad we got rid of demario and titans fans are not mad they didnt resign avery and jet fans are usally alot more critical of their players lol

Everything I’ve seen says he ‘s one of the better coverage LB’s in the league

1 hour ago, thomasjohn511 said:

It was reported he asked for $9-10MM. Hard to say whether the Jets would have got him down to $8MM year or if the reduction was a result of the team passing on re-signing him.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

I know its probably all about the money, but picture your best lb'er running away at top speed from your supposed defensive guru HC. Speaks volumes. 

Just sayin

It bears mentioning, that for 4 years now Mac has spoiled Bowles with every player he has felt he needed. Yet, we witnessed that defense, that is widely considered by Jets fans to be a rather talented bunch, ranked 25th in overall defense in 2017.

What is it that Bowles needs to finally put a decent defense together? Because right now they are talented bunch that notoriously underachieves due in large part to the coaching.

The above should have already gotten Bowles fired. If Rex's defenses had underachieved like that, he would have gotten fired long ago.

Archived