Trading up would be mistake

Jets723

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The reasons we should not trade up for a QB and lose all that draft capital...

Christian Hackenburg

Devin Smith

Jace Amaro

Geno Smith

Stephen Hill

Vlad Ducasse

I mean with a murderers Row of 2nd rounders like these why would we ever want to expend draft capital to trade up for a QB?

Now that’s a hard assessment to argue with. I’m with you brother!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is a good chance 1 of those 4 falls to 6. Not 1 is a sure thing to mortgage future on. Nobody can even seem to agree the ranking order of those 4. Some have one guy at 4th best, others have same guy at #1. So clearly there are questions marks about all. What are odds all 4 turn out to be quality qbs ? 2? 

I think all 4 become elite. I really do. I think what is happening is that since there are 4 really strong candidates you scrutinize them for every minute flaw you can find as opposed to other years when prospects shoot up the board when teams focus on finding positives.

27 minutes ago, Stark said:

You are a special level of ignorant..... first off. The sanchez trade was  not that bad based on compensation. He did not end up winning a super bowl which obviously sucks for fans, but come on with this Keenum, Smith , Collins junk. Collins was a 5h overall pick for starters. Alex Smith 1st overall pick, uh, he got benched in the 49ers season they wen to SB and he has not done anything in the post season. Keenum??? I mean ok he won a playoff game. none of these 3 QB's are great and of which 2 were high first rd picks who were basically failures that were re-made into game managers. Keenum hasn't done anything with the exception of last season, lets see what he does in 2 years.

now to the Instead we should be like Philly part.... have you had brain surgery in the past 2 years? They traded:

No. 8
Third-round pick
Fourth-round pick 
First-round pick in '17
Second-round pick in '18

Carson Wentz was totally worth it and your point is bogus.

Haha. First off I never said Carson Wentz wasn’t worth it. Show me where I did. Did you have a rough day riding home on the little yellow bus ? You also failed to mention how the eagles first acquired the 8th pick. As good as wentz is, Foles played just as good. Because of the Oline. People who really understand football know how important a Strong Oline is. Children do not and only think about qb.

you ever see the movie anger management ? You should look into taking a class. You clearly have some issues..

Just now, freestater said:

If we could have a guy fall in our laps, who are you hoping for? I would be really excited to land Mayfield. 

I think mayfield is strong possibility just my gut. I WANT a QB bad i just dont want to lose so many high draft picks

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We traded up for mark Sanchez. How did that work out ? It’s fun to draft a “ maybe he can be “ franchise qb. These days you can trade or sign for a quality “proven” qb. Keenum, Smith Collins, ect. Rather than give up valuable picks for a qb “who may be good.” Instead we should be like Philly. Do what is not as fun but more responsible, build line through draft. Olineman coming out are much less likely to be a bust then qbs. Instead of wasting hackenberg pick, we could have had a solid young Olineman.

Yes we SHOULD do what Philly did. Did you actually forget they traded for Wentz, a trade that is a steal:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/eagles-initial-trade-carson-wentz-doesnt-look-so-costly-anymore

I am so tired of the risk adverse way this team is run. You dont screw Scarlet Joahannsen without actually asking her out,

Just now, Jets723 said:

I think mayfield is strong possibility just my gut. I WANT a QB bad i just dont want to lose so many high draft picks

I get it. It's not like this team is "1 guy" away. Still, after watching this team trot out the likes of Fitz, Geno, and McCown for the last oh....lifetime or so....I would really just like to have some optimistic enthusiasm again. Even if it means the next Sanchez lol

I don't think you can sell the fan base on not going for a QB in the first round this year.  The upcoming 6-10 season would go down a lot smoother watching a top rated rookie qb slinging it than watching "Ace" McCown winning meaningless games.

Just now, Jets723 said:

Calm down.  

I am calm. I’m calmly telling you, that posts hold zero weight and it’s an easy thing to laugh at. To even slightly think Foles is the reason they had their success is insane. They had to switch their entire scheme to the RPO he ran with Chip Kelly just to have a hands. Wentz is the heart and soul of that team.

1 minute ago, freestater said:

I get it. It's not like this team is "1 guy" away. Still, after watching this team trot out the likes of Fitz, Geno, and McCown for the last oh....lifetime or so....I would really just like to have some optimistic enthusiasm again. Even if it means the next Sanchez lol

I understand the frustration BUT we cant use the frustration and let someone bleed us dry

Just now, peebag said:

I don't think you can sell the fan base on not going for a QB in the first round this year.  The upcoming 6-10 season would go down a lot smoother watching a top rated rookie qb slinging it than watching "Ace" McCown winning meaningless games.

I NEVER said we shouldnt draft a QB....quite the opposite 

45 minutes ago, Stark said:

Y

No. 6
Third-round pick
Fourth-round pick 
First-round pick in '19
Second-round pick in '20

Carson Wentz was totally worth it and your point is bogus.

Changed to the Jets situation. I would TOTALLY trade that for #2

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I am calm. I’m calmly telling you, that posts hold zero weight and it’s an easy thing to laugh at. To even slightly think Foles is the reason they had their success is insane. They had to switch their entire scheme to the RPO he ran with Chip Kelly just to have a hands. Wentz is the heart and soul of that team.

You misunderstood BIGTIME. I wasnt bashing wentz. I simply gave foles credit

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I know jet fans are aching for  "franchise QB"  but trading up probably will kill us in the longrun. First off it would cost ALOT. Just to move a few spots we would likely cost the 6th pick,both 2nds, next years first, and maybe something else. Thats not worth it considering all the holes we have. Also lets be honest over the past 20 years all these "franchise qbs" that are taken at the top of the draft usually fizzle out. The only guys i can think of that actually won were the mannings. Luck was/is ultra-talented but even he hasnt led the colts anywhere. We should stay put to see if someone drops or trade back to gain extra picks and select  Another qb who might be getting less coverage than the other 4 but still has talent

Luck led them to the AFC championship game in year 2, didn't he? And the Colts have been crap when he's been injured

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes we SHOULD do what Philly did. Did you actually forget they traded for Wentz, a trade that is a steal:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/eagles-initial-trade-carson-wentz-doesnt-look-so-costly-anymore

I am so tired of the risk adverse way this team is run. You dont screw Scarlet Joahannsen without actually asking her out,

Ya wentz turned out to be a very good qb. The eagles did not have a million holes everywhere.  how many top 10 qbs bust ? Compared to Stud Online-man coming out ? Not even close. Nick Foles played just as well as Carson wentz. Many say better. In the big games he was clutch. Maybe wentz would have too, we don’t know.

54 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is a good chance 1 of those 4 falls to 6. Not 1 is a sure thing to mortgage future on. Nobody can even seem to agree the ranking order of those 4. Some have one guy at 4th best, others have same guy at #1. So clearly there are questions marks about all. What are odds all 4 turn out to be quality qbs ? 2? 

Carson Wentz and Goff weren’t sure things either.  And right now no team is going to tell you their order unless it’s misdirection.

I can easily say that Darnold and Rosen are head and shoulders the best two prospects. Allen does have the highest ceiling if he can learn how to throw accurately.  But that is far from a sure thing, in fact, it’s a long shot.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Don't worry, lil fella. The mods here don't ban (too much work). If one of them (thats a big "if") sees it (which I doubt) they will just tell you to stfu and thats about it.

I saw it in quotes but couldn't find the post. Thought I was losing my mind.

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ya wentz turned out to be a very good qb. The eagles did not have a million holes everywhere.  how many top 10 qbs bust ? Compared to Stud Online-man coming out ? Not even close. Nick Foles played just as well as Carson wentz. Many say better. In the big games he was clutch. Maybe wentz would have too, we don’t know.

This

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I know it, but you used it as a rebuttal to the question “How did trading up for Wentz” go. That’s what I’m trying to say.

That was different. Philly didnt have the holes we have.  Also just because a guy is drafted high doesnt make him a sure thing. I mean brady russel wilson and foles were later round picks

There’s no reason to trade up this year with the number (5) of potential QBs studs in this draft. Stay put draft a QB at 6 most likely the 3rd one off the board then use the rest of the draft to fill other need and next years top 5 pick to draft a playmaker. 

The only reason they should trade up is if they think one QB is that much better then the other guys. I’ve never seen “experts” so all over the place on who’s the best. Normally there’s one guy that is considered the best or the first pick. This year know one has any idea. 

34 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

According to the value chart, if the Jets wanted to trade up from 6 to 3, it would cost them their 1st, 2nd, and 4th. Not anywhere near what you're mentioning.

The past couple of seasons, teams have paid a premium to move up to get a QB.  That said, swap the 4th and add a third, and it should work.  Of course, there will be competition with Buffalo.  WhT does Indy ask for from us if Buffalo, who is more desperate than us right now, both 1s and both 2s?

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Carson Wentz and Goff weren’t sure things either.  And right now no team is going to tell you their order unless it’s misdirection.

I can easily say that Darnold and Rosen are head and shoulders the best two prospects. Allen does have the highest ceiling if he can learn how to throw accurately.  But that is far from a sure thing, in fact, it’s a long shot.

Exactly. Also wentz went to a team that already had right support in place for a rookie. A great Oline with strong run game. Sanchez had the same gift, he was just a bust. I bet if we drafted wentz and he didn’t play well due to sh*tty line and lack of playmakers, many Jet fans would still put all blame on him.

Archived