All,Four QBs Could Be Gone Before Pick 6

Good thing the Jets won all those games last year, because now there might not be a QB to pick ar 6. This is a likely scenario -Cleveland takes a QB at 1, the Giants take one at 2, Indy takes a non QB, Buffalo trades up to 4 (or 3) and takes a QB, Denver takes a QB at 5. Playing McCown last year over Petty/ Hackenberg was idiotic. Two less wins and the Jets have the number 2 pick, which was the preseason plan. Now......It’s either sit tight at 6 and hope two teams pick nonQBs  or give up a boatload of picks to outbid the Bills to trade up. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Good thing the Jets won all those games last year, because now there might not be a QB to pick ar 6. This is a likely scenario -Cleveland takes a QB at 1, the Giants take one at 2, Indy takes a non QB, Buffalo trades up to 4 (or 3) and takes a QB, Denver takes a QB at 5. Playing McCown last year over Petty/ Hackenberg was idiotic. Two less wins and the Jets have the number 2 pick, which was the preseason plan. Now......It’s either sit tight at 6 and hope two teams pick nonQBs  or give up a boatload of picks to outbid the Bills to trade up. 

Not once in the history of the NFL have 4 QBs gone in the top five. It’s not going to happen. GMs aren’t desperate fans.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

22 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It’s possible, but highly unlikely. And if so, then the Jets get either Chubb or Barkley. Not such a bad thing either.

The only QB JETS should be looking at from this draft is Lamar Jackson. A bit raw but has better skills set than all these other QB's.  All these other OB's are scrap for the practice squad

Mayfield - Johnny Manz.. 2.0

Dornald - Matt Leinart

Rosen - Brady Quinn

Allen - Blaine Gabbert

33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

When you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense to win any games, until you are really, really, really 100% positive you are going to win the championship.

How has winning meaningless games late in the season worked out for us?

2007 Jets:  Won Week 17 game against Chiefs to improve to 4-12.  2008 draft:  Missed out on Matt Ryan.  Drafted Vernon Gholston. 

2014 Jets:  Didn't fire Rex Ryan midseason.  Won last 2 of final 3 games of season to improve to 4-12.  2015 draft:  Missed out on Marcus Mariota and Amari Cooper.  Drafted Leonard Williams.

We're not talking about championship-ready.  We're talking about tanking if you don't even have a competitive roster.  What's the point in winning 4-5 games?  Is that significantly better than winning 2 or 3?

I think what's it's going to come down to is how much Cleveland/Indy like Chubb....If they believe he's a legitimate impact player - and a big enough upgrade over whoever they can get at 12 they won't trade out -

we're probably going to have to pay something to get up to 4 or Denver will - (they know Denver and the Jets are takin QB's)

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2007 Jets:  Won Week 17 game against Chiefs to improve to 4-12.  2008 draft:  Missed out on Matt Ryan.  Drafted Vernon Gholston. 

2014 Jets:  Didn't fire Rex Ryan midseason.  Won last 2 of final 3 games of season to improve to 4-12.  2015 draft:  Missed out on Marcus Mariota and Amari Cooper.  Drafted Leonard Williams.

We're not talking about championship-ready.  We're talking about tanking if you don't even have a competitive roster.  What's the point in winning 4-5 games?  Is that significantly better than winning 2 or 3?

Bevause of this...

6 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

The only QB JETS should be looking at from this draft is Lamar Jackson. A bit raw but has better skills set than all these other QB's.  All these other OB's are scrap for the practice squad

Dornald - Matt Leinart

Rosen - Brady Quinn

Allen - Blaine Gabbert

See 80? We good. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just me, but I never enter a game where I expect to lose, or where I succumb to losing. It is not the way athletes are wired nor the way programs are built.

It is a fan mentality strung together through hindsight. Even in all those scenarios that you listed, and their possible outcomes, there is no guarantee that is the way it would have played out.

Lat year at this time, the board jockey6 geniuses here were telling us that Sam Darnold is this "can't miss" prospect, that is one in a generation. Just a year later, he is in a group of 4 that there is no consensus built around.

You can have this "we must lose" attitude. But it is not for me. Once you build a losrer's mentality, you are a loser.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I still want that Dornald guy. 

12 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

Dornald - Matt Leinart

Rosen - Brady Quinn

Allen - Blaine Gabbert

According to this chart he will probably be available in the second. Prolly with our second second round pick even. 

17 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

Dornald - Matt Leinart

Rosen - Brady Quinn

Allen - Blaine Gabbert

It is amazing how overrated the qbs in this draft are

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

While I do not see 4 QBs going in the first 5 picks either I am wondering why you do not think the Jets have a plan to move up also?  They may not have the draft capital that Buffalo has but they do not need to move up as far either.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I also think it's unlikely 4 QBs are gone by 6. Barkley is a given for top 5 (probably top 2-3) and Chubb is right behind him. 

What makes it likely is the bills are beyond desperate to trade up and get a qb

I actually think we should trade down with the bills

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

What makes it likely is the bills are beyond desperate to trade up and get a qb

I actually think we should trade down with the bills

Oh it's definitely possible. When I say "unlikely" I don't mean 0%. I just mean some amount less than 50.

47 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Not once in the history of the NFL have 4 QBs gone in the top five. It’s not going to happen. GMs aren’t desperate fans.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Yeah but this is the Jets you’re talking about therefore this year will set a precedent.  Maccagnan will not know what to do and will finally decide to stand pat.  He’ll miss on all 4...and all will go to the Hall of Fame.

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just me, but I never enter a game where I expect to lose, or where I succumb to losing. It is not the way athletes are wired nor the way programs are built.

It is a fan mentality strung together through hindsight. Even in all those scenarios that you listed, and their possible outcomes, there is no guarantee that is the way it would have played out.

Lat year at this time, the board jockey6 geniuses here were telling us that Sam Darnold is this "can't miss" prospect, that is one in a generation. Just a year later, he is in a group of 4 that there is no consensus built around.

You can have this "we must lose" attitude. But it is not for me. Once you build a losrer's mentality, you are a loser.

while i see your point i still think losing late in the season is better.  i'd rather have the chance at better picks.  the Matt Ryan one is the worst although it's not clear he was the consensus choice at that point.

Imo, the top 6 picks will include Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield,, Barkley, and Chubb.  Not sure the order except Darnold at #1.  I think Rosen or Mayfield are likely to be available at 6 unless someone surprises and takes Nelson in the top 5 which makes it better for the Jets.  Now, if Macc has a particular QB that he covets, then he’ll probably have to move to 3 or 4, if not he could just sit back and take whoever drops.  Keep in mind, everyone know Jets are taking QB at 6, so teams will be aggressive to move up to 4 or 5 to snag their guy

I believe the ideal spot to move up would be #4.  If Barkley goes to the Giants at #2, I think Cleveland would be willing to drop down to 6 and pick up more picks and it wouldn’t cost us the farm to move up two spots

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rosen fell to us which is fine I like my Qbs to be Jewish

Even if he’s there for the Jets to take, he was wearing a hat that disparaged the President.  The Jets owner is a big supporter and has his Ambassador job because of that.  Couldn’t run a corner bodega much less an nfl franchise..yeah make him an Ambassador, why not haha.

Anyway, back from the tangent I was going off on, I bet they won’t take Rosen, because of that, even if he’s there to take.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

while i see your point i still think losing late in the season is better.  i'd rather have the chance at better picks.  the Matt Ryan one is the worst although it's not clear he was the consensus choice at that point.

The Jets did a lot of late season losing this year. I am not assuaged. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

No one is telling the players to go out there and lose.  No athlete is trying to lose. 

But the front office has to structure things where it's at least possible when it is the best thing for the franchise.  I.E., you play the young guys.  You don't send Josh McCown and Matt Forte out there when those guys aren't in your longterm plans anyways. 

And you don't keep around a coach you know you're going to fire at the end of the season anyways.  The head coach is going to send the best players out there and try to win, regardless of what management wants, because he's trying to audition for his next job. 

If you win games with young players and an interim coach....fine.  But this mentality of trying to keep the status quo hasn't worked for this franchise.  We're a loser franchise despite what you are saying. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is telling the players to go out there and lose.  No athlete is trying to lose. 

But the front office has to structure things where it's at least possible when it is the best thing for the franchise.  I.E., you play the young guys.  You don't send Josh McCown and Matt Forte out there when those guys aren't in your longterm plans anyways. 

And you don't keep around a coach you know you're going to fire at the end of the season anyways.  The head coach is going to send the best players out there and try to win, regardless of what management wants, because he's trying to audition for his next job. 

If you win games with young players and an interim coach....fine.  But this mentality of trying to keep the status quo hasn't worked for this franchise.  We're a loser franchise despite what you are saying. 

What coach was getting fired this year?

Archived