All,Four QBs Could Be Gone Before Pick 6

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It is amazing how overrated the qbs in this draft are

QB's in every draft class have gotten overrated.  That doesn't mean they're not worth taking.  Even if they all end up being Matthew Stafford's or Andy Dalton's, they're someone you can build around. 

The QB's in this draft don't look like colossal busts, they by and large look like guys who will at least be average, and thus, worth drafting high. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

QB's in every draft class have gotten overrated.  That doesn't mean they're not worth taking.  Even if they all end up being Matthew Stafford's or Andy Dalton's, they're someone you can build around. 

The QB's in this draft don't look like colossal busts, they by and large look like guys who will at least be average, and thus, worth drafting high. 

I am not saying squat about this particular class, but if I had a dollar for every March QB prospect that turned into a dud, I would be a very rich man.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I am not saying squat about this particular class, but if I had a dollar for every March QB prospect that turned into a dud, I would be a very rich man.

I really don't care.  I'm tired of this franchise sitting on the sidelines.  For 3 years we've made "safe" picks....and, surprise!  It hasn't worked out, and we have one of the worst rosters in football.

I'd rather have a GM who has some balls, makes a calculated risk and have it fail, than have a GM who is a total pu$$y.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Highest bust potential by far is Mayfield followed by Rosen

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I really don't care.  I'm tired of this franchise sitting on the sidelines.  For 3 years we've made "safe" picks....and, surprise!  It hasn't worked out, and we have one of the worst rosters in football.

I'd rather have a GM who has some balls, makes a calculated risk and have it fail, than have a GM who is a total pu$$y.

Hack, Lee and Adams weren’t safe picks 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Hack, Lee and Adams weren’t safe picks 

Hack wasn't.  Lee and Adams absolutely were.  Lee and Adams were, by consensus, highly rated talents at non-premium positions that fit supposed needs on the team.  That's the very definition of "safe" picks.

I love how playing McCown = guaranteed wins. The guy had 1 win in each of the previous 2 years as a starter, and averaged 2 wins a year in the previous 4. His picture was in the dictionary next to the word "tank" - but now, with that 20/20 rearview vision, playing McCown was the sure way to get to 5 wins.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hack wasn't.  Lee and Adams absolutely were.  Lee and Adams were, by consensus, highly rated talents at non-premium positions that fit supposed needs on the team.  That's the very definition of "safe" picks.

A 200lb ILB in the first round and a slow safety at 6th overall are safe picks?

The Jets have tons of money and a high pick with 4 potential franchise QB's in the draft.  We are guaranteed a QB for the future.  However.....

• NYG wins 2 games
  • We lose some silly tiebreaker to Denver
  • Minnesota has THREE qb's that become FA's
  • Buffalo is making moves that can get them in the top 5

The stars and the moon are aligning.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You couldn’t get a carton of eggs for Lee now in a trade and I don’t think you could even get a first round pick for Jamal Adams 

Correct.  Because they didn't have a high ceiling. 

Risky picks can bomb, but if they succeed, those players attain crazy value.

No one is telling the players to go out there and lose.  No athlete is trying to lose. 

But the front office has to structure things where it's at least possible when it is the best thing for the franchise.  I.E., you play the young guys.  You don't send Josh McCown and Matt Forte out there when those guys aren't in your longterm plans anyways. 

I just don't see how anyone can say "When losing is the best thing for the franchise, you don't send Josh McCown out there." Knowing what we/they knew going in. When we first signed McCown, people were elated, sure that the tank was on for a 2018 QB.

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Good thing the Jets won all those games last year, because now there might not be a QB to pick ar 6. This is a likely scenario -Cleveland takes a QB at 1, the Giants take one at 2, Indy takes a non QB, Buffalo trades up to 4 (or 3) and takes a QB, Denver takes a QB at 5. Playing McCown last year over Petty/ Hackenberg was idiotic. Two less wins and the Jets have the number 2 pick, which was the preseason plan. Now......It’s either sit tight at 6 and hope two teams pick nonQBs  or give up a boatload of picks to outbid the Bills to trade up. 

In this scenario, Jets are left with one of Chubbs or Barkley. I’m fine with either. I kinda want Barkley though over the 4th rated QB so I’m secretly hoping Buffalo leapfrogs is for one of the overrated QBs. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Correct.  Because they didn't have a high ceiling. 

Risky picks can bomb, but if they succeed, those players attain crazy value.

But Lee, hack and adams were risky picks to anyone smart.

Mason Rudolph and Kyle Lauletta will be better pros than Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen might retire by age 25

Sorry!

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's a bed of nails.  The franchise has sucked so much that no one individual thing upsets me anymore.  Just numbness. 

Sounds like Tom Shane after his dates. 

48 minutes ago, TopCop said:

Imo, the top 6 picks will include Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Mayfield,, Barkley, and Chubb.  Not sure the order except Darnold at #1.  I think Rosen or Mayfield are likely to be available at 6 unless someone surprises and takes Nelson in the top 5 which makes it better for the Jets.  Now, if Macc has a particular QB that he covets, then he’ll probably have to move to 3 or 4, if not he could just sit back and take whoever drops.  Keep in mind, everyone know Jets are taking QB at 6, so teams will be aggressive to move up to 4 or 5 to snag their guy

unless something changes between now and the draft it's tough to argue that these 6 guys go top 6, especially if the next best player on everyone's board is a guard.  

The mistake was starting McCown to start the season. They got off to a 3-2 start. Once you do that you really can't tell the players in your locker room that you didn't want to win so you're going to figure out a way going forward to put them in the best position to lose. They should have just started Petty and then made the switch to Hack at some point. It is what it is.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Also in the GP: Under an ownership directive, Jets were at just about every USC, UCLA, Wyoming and Oklahoma game this fall. So they're ready, post-Cousins. ..

They are going to draft a QB

"..before the ownership directive, mccagnan and his staff were thoroughly scouting all the safeties.."

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The mistake was starting McCown to start the season. They got off to a 3-2 start. Once you do that you really can't tell the players in your locker room that you didn't want to win so you're going to figure out a way going forward to put them in the best position to lose. They should have just started Petty and then made the switch to Hack at some point. It is what it is.

But you can't immediately start the season with an impression to tank. 

1 hour ago, Jets1958 said:

It’s possible, but highly unlikely. And if so, then the Jets get either Chubb or Barkley. Not such a bad thing either.

I think that is why the Jets signed the 2 QBs.  Could roll wth Hack or draft pick for qb3

This type of thinking by the Johnsons has me more excited and confident that we will trade up for a quarterback. I no longer feel Mac will be stingy with losing picks, like he did when he balked on trading up for Wenzt or Goff.

I’m sure the Johnsons will mandate a trade up happens at whatever price the asking team requests. 

They obviously like Mac overall. But it looks like they want to make sure he gets this team a quarterback, and then they’ll let him draft and manage the cap how he sees fit after that. Ownership saw enough empty seats last year to know the stadium will be even more empty if we don’t a quarterback.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

This type of thinking by the Johnsons has me more excited and confident that we will trade up for a quarterback. I no longer feel Mac will be stingy with losing picks, like he did when he balked on trading up for Wenzt or Goff.

I’m sure the Johnsons will mandate a trade up happens at whatever price the asking team requests. 

They obviously like Mac overall. But it looks like they want to make sure he gets this team a quarterback, and then they’ll let him draft and manage the cap how he sees fit after that. Ownership saw enough empty seats last year to know the stadium will be even more empty if we don’t a quarterback.

the johnsons are businessmen, and they understand the marketing value of a shiny new qb.  tannenbaum got it too.  sadly if the johnsons weren't prodding mccagnan and his staff to do the work they should have been doing on their own volition, we'd definitely end up with the best defensive prospect in the draft again.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But you can't immediately start the season with an impression to tank. 

I agree. But it would have been easier to start Petty or Hack right away is my point as oppose to bringing them in when the team is still technically alive for a playoff spot, however unlikely it may be. Players want to win. The 3-2 start changed the entire dynamic of the season and I understand why it did that.

Archived