Sh*t, There Might Actually Be Logic Behind Jets' Plan at QB

Jack Straw

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Oh my god, Mayfield would literally break Todd Bowles. Baker Mayfield is the exact opposite. He's the type who will bang your girlfriend and ask if you want to smell his nuts afterwards - exactly what NY needs right now.

Lol! Awesome.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Macc has two paths to save his job:

1- Either they draft a franchise QB that shows flashes in camp (Mahommes rode the bench all year and Watson only got a start because Savage was atrocious) or

2- Bridgewater returns to "form" (which I never thought was that great to begin with) and we win 10 games and make the playoffs. 

If we go 7-9 with Mccown while Bridgewater looks like a cripple and the QB we draft looks like garbage in camp then Macc/Bowles is done. 

dude no one's getting fired. how is woody going to see airplane banners all the way in London? 

the seat for either of these guys isn't even warm. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It's only #1 - If he doesn't get a 1st round QB he's out of a job.  Worst case they get Jackson and we'll have some excitement because he'll be very good - until he gets hurt.  

That's my fear. He knows if he swings an misses in the first he's done. He might turtle up and take a minkah and then try to use the "teddy serious injury, he's rounding back into form give it time" excuse.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

one key point to remember is, even if mccagnan intends to draft a qb in the first round and even trade up, there are no guarantees he can do it.  if teams like buffalo are willing and able to give so many picks, mccagnan may not want to part with next year's #1 to do this.  maybe he opts to trade back if the qbs go 1-4 and the prices were outrageous, and he finds someone who really wants chubb or minkah.  maybe he trades back and takes lamar.  but since they're not picking at #2, i think that's a big reason they brought in bridgewater - they are not yet in control of their qb destiny.

Mac CANNOT let this happen.  It's his own doing (incompetence) that he might have to over pay to trade up, but he has to land one of the top 4 QB's no matter what the cost.  If he doesn't, he is a lock to be fired the second the 2018 season ends. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, the Jets should absolutely repeat the Hackenberg Development Plan™️ but with an exponentially more expensive prospect. That will be, you know, the way to go.

I get the scoffing, but it does make sense. They'll have more confidence in McCown as the starter than they did last year, and they were willing to let him sit on the sidelines for a few weeks last year while they pushed their two young guys who -yes- don't seem to have developed or maybe they never were going to. If they take a QB somewhere in the first round this year, that should -presumably- be a better prospect, and one they won't be afraid to give an extended look at in camp. 

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not for nothing but hack and even petty are still in the mix.  imo it's doubtful petty will be on the roster much longer.  not sure about hack.  we may see him getting some good reps at the ota's or even training camp.

Hackenberg will be in training camp. You need a fourth arm there, and it might as well be your second round pick from a couple years ago. He should get some good reps in the preseason, if not starts. I could see Bridgewater getting a preseason start or two, to evaluate and potentially showcase him for a trade - but they won't trade him if Hackenberg remains nowhere. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's my fear. He knows if he swings an misses in the first he's done. He might turtle up and take a minkah and then try to use the "teddy serious injury, he's rounding back into form give it time" excuse.

My whole problem with the Jets entire front office is their chickensh*tness. I hope they sign The Honey Badger just to completely remove Fitzpatrick from the equation. I think (hope?) if there's not a QB there at #6, then Chubb is the pick. I can also see them punting and trying to trade down, or trading a second rounder back into the first for one of the QBs expected to go late first/early second because it's the lower risk option. 

At some point, however, being so afraid of risk has to risk your job, though, right?

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I get the scoffing, but it does make sense. They'll have more confidence in McCown as the starter than they did last year, and they were willing to let him sit on the sidelines for a few weeks last year while they pushed their two young guys who -yes- don't seem to have developed or maybe they never were going to. If they take a QB somewhere in the first round this year, that should -presumably- be a better prospect, and one they won't be afraid to give an extended look at in camp. 

Hackenberg will be in training camp. You need a fourth arm there, and it might as well be your second round pick from a couple years ago. He should get some good reps in the preseason, if not starts. I could see Bridgewater getting a preseason start or two, to evaluate and potentially showcase him for a trade - but they won't trade him if Hackenberg remains nowhere. 

If hack doesn't get cut or go to practice squad, Macc should be the NJ nominee for this year's Hunger Games

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the issue would be getting that prospect work during the season when they’re trying to install a game plan. You’re going to trade the world for Josh Rosen and then have him run your scout team for eight months?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You guys realize, this is no different than any other year right?

2015 - young Geno, old Fitz - draft Petty

2016 - young Geno/Petty, old Fitz - draft Hack

2017 - young Petty/Hack, old McCown - punt on QB the year they had a shot a real QB's

2018 - young Teddy, Old McCown - draft a 2nd day QB

It's the same ******* plan repeated over and over again and people think it's actually going to go different this year? 

I mostly agree with you, but I wouldn't put Bridgewater in the same category as Geno, Petty, or Hackenberg.  Bridgewater was good coming out of college, drafted pretty high, and looked pretty good at the pro level before his injury.  He'll likely never be an elite QB, but then again, he's only 25.  It's a worthwhile risk.

Geno was the highest-ranked QB prospect, but in a historically weak class, and never really even showed flashes of being "pretty good".  And, obviously, he was a holdover from the previous regime.  Hackenberg....nearly everyone knew he'd flop, except Macc.  Petty...even Macc said when he DRAFTED him that he only expected him to be a backup. 

The McCown re-signing made no sense though. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The whole "find out about Bridgewater' part is nonsense if mccown is the starter. 

Mac is doubling up his bets. What are the chances of McCown repeating his performance from last yr ? Could he even slightly play better in his 2nd yr with jets, and if he has better talent around him than last yr ? Maybe Vegas can give us some odds on that. I’d trust them over pessimistic jet fans lol. Mac is hoping if McCown regresses, his other bet comes through. Bridgewater Health and return to form ( at least right away ) has to be more of a long shot. Mac can lose on both bets. If he does, we will no longer how to see him make bets for the jets EVER again. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the issue would be getting that prospect work during the season when they’re trying to install a game plan. You’re going to trade the world for Josh Rosen and then have him run your scout team for eight months?

learn via osmosis from the great josh mccown

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Mac is doubling up his bets. What are the chances of McCown repeating his performance from last yr ? Could he even slightly play better in his 2nd yr with jets, and if he has better talent around him than last yr ? Maybe Vegas can give us some odds on that. I’d trust them over pessimistic jet fans lol. Mac is hoping if McCown regresses, his other bet comes through. Bridgewater Health and return to form ( at least right away ) has to be more of a long. Mac can lose on both bets. If he does, we will no longer how to see him make bets for the jets like this again. 

minkah or bust

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

If hack doesn't get cut or go to practice squad, Macc should be the NJ nominee for this year's Hunger Games

That could very well be the end result, but it wouldn't be until after he served as the fourth arm in training camp. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think last year, had Petty or Hack stepped up, one of them would've been named the team's starting QB. If it's Rosen or another QB at #6, hopefully, he'd have the same opportunity. Is that guaranteed with Bowles? Absolutely not. I don't think the QBs will be listed 1, 2, and 3 before training camp is over, and the rookie would (should) be given a real chance to start or be the #2 - especially with a rather questionable Bridgewater penciled in the #2 job. 

Well the QB plan can be partially saved by getting the QB they want in RD1,

If we skip QB and draft defense again, it will just be inexcusable.

If we draft QB and do not give him every chance to win the job it is inexcusable.

But we are talking Mac and Bowles. Bowles wants McClown and more defense. So I think these moves are only there to justify the defensive pick at #6. It is VERY likely we pass on 1 or more of the Top 4.

I just think Mac is too risk adverse to go and get the guy.

I am growing to hate this team. They are just so stupid.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

If we draft QB and do not give him every chance to win the job it is inexcusable.

we already whiffed on the top WR options. who knows maybe we land jordan matthews and brian quick

5 minutes ago, slats said:

That could very well be the end result, but it wouldn't be until after he served as the fourth arm in training camp. 

I think last year, had Petty or Hack stepped up, one of them would've been named the team's starting QB. If it's Rosen or another QB at #6, hopefully, he'd have the same opportunity. Is that guaranteed with Bowles? Absolutely not. I don't think the QBs will be listed 1, 2, and 3 before training camp is over, and the rookie would (should) be given a real chance to start or be the #2 - especially with a rather questionable Bridgewater penciled in the #2 job. 

You have to hope that's how it will go, but it's certainly tough to say for sure.  Even if it does go that way, there is 0% chance McCown will end up as the #3 QB, which ultimately ensures that at least one of Bridgewater or the rookie will never be given a real chance this year.  Either that or this theoretical rookie will never exist, which I don't even want to think about.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah. I guess I just don’t see how that’s a favorable environment for a rookie QB, especially with a coach who’s ostensibly trying to save his own job. We can say all we want about rookies needing to not be afraid to compete, etc., but I think QB is a confidence position and the history shows that the non-veteran QBs under Todd get treated like indolent millennial scraps.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mostly agree with you, but I wouldn't put Bridgewater in the same category as Geno, Petty, or Hackenberg.  Bridgewater was good coming out of college, drafted pretty high, and looked pretty good at the pro level before his injury.  He'll likely never be an elite QB, but then again, he's only 25.  It's a worthwhile risk.

Geno was the highest-ranked QB prospect, but in a historically weak class, and never really even showed flashes of being "pretty good".  And, obviously, he was a holdover from the previous regime.  Hackenberg....nearly everyone knew he'd flop, except Macc.  Petty...even Macc said when he DRAFTED him that he only expected him to be a backup. 

The McCown re-signing made no sense though. 

It's not about categories, it's about the approach.  Sure, Teddy is the better player than those other 3 but he's just as much of a long shot considering his situation.   So he fits the formula of young long shot paired with veteran starter.  Rinse and repeat every year.

Which is why I fully see them punting on a QB, again, at #6 because they have their formula and because of the big board BAP approach.  When his #1,2 and maybe 3 are gone and his next best player is Minkah or Ward or Chubb...it's happening.  That's the point.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ha. I agree. Mac and Bowles were too afraid of how bad he was to even put him in garbage time when petty horrible play gave them every reason to. So now we don’t even know even the kid can handle being a 3rd string ab. I don’t want to hear he is doing well  in practice when you wouldn’t even play him in perfect circumstances to try a scrub pick out. 

Ha. I agree. Mac and Bowles were too afraid of how bad he was to even put him in garbage time when petty horrible play gave them every reason to. So now we don’t even know even the kid can handle being a 3rd string ab. I don’t want to hear he is doing well  in practice when you wouldn’t even play him in perfect circumstances to try a scrub pick out. 

The Jets already know he cannot otherwise as you aptly state they wouldn't have hidden him. He'll go to the taxi squad, getting puffed up, and when he gets "stolen" by Bill O'brien Macc will feign an "oh, man. see he has value" before flushing the toilet twice and lighting a match.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah. I guess I just don’t see how that’s a favorable environment for a rookie QB, especially with a coach who’s ostensibly trying to save his own job. We can say all we want about rookies needing to not be afraid to compete, etc., but I think QB is a confidence position and the history shows that the non-veteran QBs under Todd get treated like indolent millennial scraps.

I don't disagree about Bowles. I try not to be quite as cynical as you, but I've about had it with both Mac and Bowles. A best-case scenario here might be Mac actually finding a franchise level QB in the draft, and having Bowles screw it up in a Fisher-like fashion and getting himself canned. Having a QB in place and another high pick next year might actually lure a decent head coach to the team. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's not about categories, it's about the approach.  Sure, Teddy is the better player than those other 3 but he's just as much of a long shot considering his situation.   So he fits the formula of young long shot paired with veteran starter.  Rinse and repeat every year.

Which is why I fully see them punting on a QB, again, at #6 because they have their formula and because of the big board BAP approach.  When his #1,2 and maybe 3 are gone and his next best player is Minkah or Ward or Chubb...it's happening.  That's the point.

Let’s start a pool guessing who makes the first post defending the Minkah pick.

1 minute ago, slats said:

I don't disagree about Bowles. I try not to be quite as cynical as you, but I've about had it with both Mac and Bowles. A best-case scenario here might be Mac actually finding a franchise level QB in the draft, and having Bowles screw it up in a Fisher-like fashion and getting himself canned. Having a QB in place and another high pick next year might actually lure a decent head coach to the team. 

We are 100% aligned there.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s start a pool guessing who makes the first post defending the Minkah pick.

not sure that's necessary...

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sometimes the posts here are so devoid of logic I actually begin to feel bad for the people writing them.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

That's why it needs to be Mayfield. The only guy with the sack to blatantly ignore Bowles and do a crotch grab when Bowles calls in an idiotic play. He's the only one whose confidence can survive until Bowles is sent packing.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Jets already know he cannot otherwise as you aptly state they wouldn't have hidden him. He'll go to the taxi squad, getting puffed up, and when he gets "stolen" by Bill O'brien Macc will feign an "oh, man. see he has value" before flushing the toilet twice and lighting a match.

It was pure cowardness on Mac/Bowles. But that is what those 2 are all about. Setting up for field goals end of pats game when you’re down 4 scores, just to make the final score look a little better. I don’t think I ever saw a coach run out the clock with over min go to in 1st half with his team down by two touchdowns before (Denver ). Other games we lost because Bowles was playing “ not to lose”

Petty was playing so bad, they knew it was best time to try out Hac. They knew the fans wanted to see him. The list of cowardness goes on and on with these two. 

Just now, JiF said:

not sure that's necessary...

Oh, he’ll be among them but I don’t know if he’ll be the first. His m.o. is to fire a little generic warning shot like the one you posted (“you guys are so dumb I can’t even”), then come back a little later after all the fighting is done and then kick at the bodies. 

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

But Bridgewater isn't a long shot.  If he's healthy, we pretty much know we're getting some solid play out of him.  If he's not healthy, we won't.  That's a pretty predictable range of outcomes. 

It was pure cowardness on Mac/Bowles. But that is what those 2 are all about. Setting up for field goals end of pats game when you’re down 4 scores, just to make the final score look a little better. I don’t think I ever saw a coach run out the clock with over min go to in 1st half with his team down by two touchdowns before. Petty was playing so bad, they knew it was best time to try out Hac. They knew the fans wanted to see him. The list of cowardness goes on and on with these two. 

Bowles and Macc are the Edwin Jenner of the NFL

image.png

Just now, T0mShane said:

Oh, he’ll be among them but I don’t know if he’ll be the first. His m.o. is to fire a little generic warning shot like the one you posted (“you guys are so dumb I can’t even”), then come back a little later after all the fighting is done and then kick at the bodies. 

You're giving him way too much credit.

Archived