Sh*t, There Might Actually Be Logic Behind Jets' Plan at QB

Jack Straw

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Bridgewater isn't a long shot.  If he's healthy, we pretty much know we're getting some solid play out of him.  If he's not healthy, we won't.  That's a pretty predictable range of outcomes. 

The fact you have no clue either way if he's healthy, means he's a long shot.  Hence paying McCown 10 mill to be your starter.

Your outcome is predictable for any player in any situation.  They suck or they dont!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so now we have 4 QB's on our roster that wouldn't be in the NFL if not for the NY Jets. 

you can say that about 2.  in reality it just goes to show how much the qb position is valued.  i'm still optimistic that hack can amount to something.  i still have some faith in mac's ability to evaluate player talent.  but i'm not going to shed a tear if hack flops either.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going with UnitedWho. That’s a man with conviction, and some balls. Pac will dick-ride later on after United takes all the heat.

I feel like he a default option.  It's probably more likely to be a die hard Bama homer like Thai Jet or Sarge4tide. 

2 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

QB insurance was not an unwise move.

So far I give Mac a B+.

He lands a franchise quarterback in the draft, I give him an A+.

My issue is we may never know if we can ever get a franchise QB because our CS is terrible, is afraid of its own shadow, and has thus far, been totally incapable of developing a QB.

This entire offseason comes down to whether Maccagnan finally shows some balls and gets one of the top 3 QBs or not. If he finds a way to land one of Darnold, Mayfield, or Rosen and thats my order of preference he may be able to save his job. If he doesn't then both he and the toilet are done.

Bridgewater was a waste of a signing. He sucked even when he was healthy. If this idiot GM had just not signed McCown and let Petty and Hack play last season we are picking 2nd and have our choice of the QBs other than Darnold who is going first. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

You guys realize, this is no different than any other year right?

2015 - young Geno, old Fitz - draft Petty

2016 - young Geno/Petty, old Fitz - draft Hack

2017 - young Petty/Hack, old McCown - punt on QB the year they had a shot a real QB's

2018 - young Teddy, Old McCown - draft a 2nd day QB

It's the same ******* plan repeated over and over again and people think it's actually going to go different this year? 

WHy a second day QB?

6 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Bridgewater was a waste of a signing. He sucked even when he was healthy. If this idiot GM had just not signed McCown and let Petty and Hack play last season we are picking 2nd and have our choice of the QBs other than Darnold who is going first. 

Yes and get ridiculed from for tanking

9 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Hey I think everyone agrees Teddy is a long shot but to say he sucked when healthy, well, I think you need to put him into the context of Jets QBs. Teddy made a pro bowl. Last Jets QB to do that? Favre 2008 who only played half a season healthy. Before that? Vinny 10 years even earlier. The Teddy of two years ago would be a godsend. Granted he no longer exists.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

You guys realize, this is no different than any other year right?

2015 - young Geno, old Fitz - draft Petty

2016 - young Geno/Petty, old Fitz - draft Hack

2017 - young Petty/Hack, old McCown - punt on QB the year they had a shot a real QB's

2018 - young Teddy, Old McCown - draft a 2nd day QB

It's the same ******* plan repeated over and over again and people think it's actually going to go different this year? 

Uhh, we have two second round pics this time and we wait to use the second on a doomed project QB this time? 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Uhh, we have two second round pics this time and we wait to use the second on a doomed project QB this time? 

Honestly, I dont know that these 2nd day guys are doomed.  This is such an underwhelming QB class and the difference between all these guys is so marginal that I could legit see one or two of Rudolph, Jackson, Faulk, White, Lauletta, Ferguson all being just as good if not better than the big 4.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Honestly, I dont know that these 2nd day guys are doomed.  This is such an underwhelming QB class and the difference between all these guys is so marginal that I could legit see one or two of Rudolph, Jackson, Faulk, White, Lauletta, Ferguson all being just as good if not better than the big 4.

Shaping up to be an unprecedented year of QBs taken in first 5. Not saying you're wrong just that there are a lot of people who disagree.

Just now, JiF said:

I saw Lauletta play twice at Richmond and minus the obvious lack of competition kid looks really good. might be a blessing in disguise is we ended up with him. more than likely he gets picked by the Pats as the heir apparent to Brady. Jimmy G part deux.

Schefter and Mort both just said on NFL Live that it’s pretty much a given that the Jets still draft a QB in the 1st round.

Add that to Woody mandating that Macc and Co. check out all of these guys every chance they get and...yeah, the Jets are going QB in the Top 6.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Schefter and Mort both just said on NFL Live that it’s pretty much a given that the Jets still draft a QB in the 1st round.

Add that to Woody mandating that Macc and Co. check out all of these guys every chance they get and...yeah, the Jets are going QB in the Top 6.

They won't believe you..  

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That's great, until the draft falls:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Chubb

4. Mayfield

5. Allen

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

After Breer’s report and connecting that with Woody’s comments right before the season last year, ans now Schefter/Mort saying it, we are definitely drafting one.

Hopefully Bridgewater is healthy enough to beat out McCown and start the season. Furhermore, hopefully Bridgewater plays well enough so we can trade him before the trade deadline and get back some picks for all the ones we would have used to trade up for Rosen/Mayfield. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Chubb

4. Mayfield

5. Allen

then you take barkley and high five all around. the more dangerous scenario is darnold, barkley, chubb, rosen, mayfield. We are left with Allen and Minkah. We probably go Minkah there. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

then you take barkley and high five all around. the more dangerous scenario is darnold, barkley, chubb, rosen, mayfield. We are left with Allen and Minkah. We probably go Minkah there. 

Sure, I'm just giving a scenario where the Jets arent taking a QB.  That's not even including the Bills jumping the Jets, which will happen. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Chubb

4. Mayfield

5. Allen

Bowles would love this scenario. Draft Barkley, run him 25 times a game, have McCown throw 15-20 passes a game. Boom!

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Holy Grail of good luck for the Jets would be ending up with an Eagles type situation where not one, but TWO QBs, turn out to be capable starters or even more.  Watching Wentz go down and then Foles win the Super Bowl is painful to a team that hasn't been able to find one decent starting QB in years.  But imagine a scenario where the Jets draft one of the Top 4 (say a Rosen or Mayfield) and he turns out to be a franchise type guy.  Maybe not an elite QB but a Top 10ish guy like Russell Wilson.  And, what if Bridgewater stays healthy and returns to form?  I don't know if there's any control over Teddy B. beyond 2018 but the franchise tag exists for a reason.  All I'm saying is that instead of thinking of all the things that could go wrong how about we consider the slight possibility of things going right.

What if.....the success of the Eagles is down to more than just who is playing QB?

maybe they have a talented OL

maybe they have an excellent running game with talent at RB

maybe they have good weapons in the passing game and talent at WR & TE

maybe they have a top D

maybe they have a dominant DL

maybe they have a dominant secondary with talent at CB & S

maybe they have excellent special teams

maybe they are very well coached

maybe, much like the Vikings, the system, discipline and coaching enables any QB to step in and thrive because everything else is working?

maybe it’s not just about the damn QB

The best I'm hoping for is:

Our 1st round rookie looks terrific. Good enough to start, even if he is a little rough around the edges. Also Bridgewater looks really good over the summer, is showing off that beefed-up arm strength, and after [pick some team's starter] goes on IR we get offered a 2nd rounder so their season isn't wasted, and they pick up a healthy, 25 year-old QB with 2 years starting experience and a $6m contract.

So keeping him on the roster for 6 months costs nothing and nets a day 2 draft pick.

We're still stuck with McCown because at that money we probably couldn't even unload him for a 7th rounder. Other than the Jets, at this stage of his career anyone else would just let the season go ahead and run its course towards 2-4 wins before they'd trot out McCown all year (let alone trade us a draft pick and eat $10m of his cap space for this short-term privilege). 

If this happens, Macc should take a deserved bow. 

Archived