Sh*t, There Might Actually Be Logic Behind Jets' Plan at QB

Jack Straw

4 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

What if.....the success of the Eagles is down to more than just who is playing QB?

maybe they have a talented OL

maybe they have an excellent running game with talent at RB

maybe they have good weapons in the passing game and talent at WR & TE

maybe they have a top D

maybe they have a dominant DL

maybe they have a dominant secondary with talent at CB & S

maybe they have excellent special teams

maybe they are very well coached

maybe, much like the Vikings, the system, discipline and coaching enables any QB to step in and thrive because everything else is working?

maybe it’s not just about the damn QB

So... what you're saying is that the talent evaluation/acquisition and coaching is horrible and Mac and Bowles should be replaced? I agree wholeheartedly.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The best I'm hoping for is:

Our 1st round rookie looks terrific. Good enough to start, even if he is a little rough around the edges. Also Bridgewater looks really good over the summer, is showing off that beefed-up arm strength, and after [pick some team's starter] goes on IR we get offered a 2nd rounder so their season isn't wasted, and they pick up a healthy, 25 year-old QB with 2 years starting experience and a $6m contract.

So keeping him on the roster for 6 months costs nothing and nets a day 2 draft pick.

We're still stuck with McCown because at that money we probably couldn't even unload him for a 7th rounder. Other than the Jets, at this stage of his career anyone else would just let the season go ahead and run its course towards 2-4 wins before they'd trot out McCown all year (let alone trade us a draft pick and eat $10m of his cap space for this short-term privilege). 

If this happens, Macc should take a deserved bow. 

We'd never know it because Bowles starting a rookie QB is as likely as him forgiving Honey Badger for pumping and dumping his daughter.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Well the QB plan can be partially saved by getting the QB they want in RD1,

If we skip QB and draft defense again, it will just be inexcusable.

If we draft QB and do not give him every chance to win the job it is inexcusable.

But we are talking Mac and Bowles. Bowles wants McClown and more defense. So I think these moves are only there to justify the defensive pick at #6. It is VERY likely we pass on 1 or more of the Top 4.

I just think Mac is too risk adverse to go and get the guy.

I am growing to hate this team. They are just so stupid.

I don't think I could take it mentally if one of the Top 4 is there and we go defense at #6. That's probably my breaking point.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

We'd never know it because Bowles starting a rookie QB is as likely as him forgiving Honey Badger for pumping and dumping his daughter.

I think that's a bit overplayed. Bowles didn't play rookie Petty when he was deservedly 3rd string on a 10-win team. His only other rookie QB was Hackenberg, who was unusable other than in a '62 Mets form of entertainment.

Failing to start Hackenberg (or a rookie Petty) ≠ failing to start an actual QB. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that's a bit overplayed. Bowles didn't play rookie Petty when he was deservedly 3rd string on a 10-win team. His only other rookie QB was Hackenberg, who was unusable other than in a '62 Mets form of entertainment.

Failing to start Hackenberg (or a rookie Petty) ≠ failing to start an actual QB. 

In meaningful games, I agree. I'm talking about throwing the Hack to the wolves in meaningless games at end of season. I have to imagine Macc gave Bowles a pass on that.

Also, devil's advocate could argue that maybe Bowles' just stinks at developing QBs...

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The fact you have no clue either way if he's healthy, means he's a long shot.  Hence paying McCown 10 mill to be your starter.

Your outcome is predictable for any player in any situation.  They suck or they dont!

He doesn't suck though. 

Hackenberg, Geno and Petty all suck, and that was quite clear.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The best I'm hoping for is:

Our 1st round rookie looks terrific. Good enough to start, even if he is a little rough around the edges. Also Bridgewater looks really good over the summer, is showing off that beefed-up arm strength, and after [pick some team's starter] goes on IR we get offered a 2nd rounder so their season isn't wasted, and they pick up a healthy, 25 year-old QB with 2 years starting experience and a $6m contract.

So keeping him on the roster for 6 months costs nothing and nets a day 2 draft pick.

We're still stuck with McCown because at that money we probably couldn't even unload him for a 7th rounder. Other than the Jets, at this stage of his career anyone else would just let the season go ahead and run its course towards 2-4 wins before they'd trot out McCown all year (let alone trade us a draft pick and eat $10m of his cap space for this short-term privilege). 

If this happens, Macc should take a deserved bow. 

Yeah, the only way McCown has any value is if a playoff caliber team loses their QB for 6-8 weeks early in the season and they don't have a competent backup (think Packers 2017) who can go .500% in the the starting QB's absence. Outside of that scenario playing out, McCown has no value.

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bowles and Mac basically sat McCown for 75% of Training camp giving every rep possible to Petty and Hack - sadly they both suck more then anyone possibly imagined.

They are going to do the exact same thing this year.  McCown will "go into TC as the starter", running the first team for a week or so to shake off some rust.  Then they will turn TC and the preseason over to TB and hopefully Mayfield to battle it out.  2 guys who are VERY VERY VERY different from Petty and Hack.  The best guy will win the job and the team will have the most expensive deactivated QB in the league.

That scenario is not far fetched, and is likely the only thing that will keep Mac employed

2 hours ago, jgb said:

then you take barkley and high five all around. the more dangerous scenario is darnold, barkley, chubb, rosen, mayfield. We are left with Allen and Minkah. We probably go Minkah there. 

Agreed on your first point.  You can't kill them for taking Barkley if all 4 QBs are gone, though some will try. 

On your second point I think we go Allen, or Nelson.

Archived