Demario Davis reveals 'shocking' information about the Jets

Jetmech

Demario Davis reveals 'shocking' information about the Jets after signing with Saints 

MANISH MEHTA MAR 16, 2018 10:11 AM

The Jets were pleasantly surprised that Demario Davis did a solid job replacing David Harris last season, but he was never a priority free agent for them. In fact, Davis, who inked a 3-year, $24 million deal (with $18 million in guarantees) with the Saints, revealed Thursday that Gang Green basically had no desire whatsoever to bring him back.

"The shocking thing was the Jets didn't make me an offer,” Davis told The New Orleans Advocate. “So that made my decision easy, because all I had to do was look at the contenders.”

Davis racked up a career-high 135 total tackles and five sacks in his second stint with the Jets, who traded Calvin Pryor to the Browns for their former draft pick last summer after Harris was unceremoniously cut.

Although Davis surprised the Jets with his ability to do solid work as the Mike linebacker, there was a feeling in the building that his stats were buoyed by a scheme that funneled a lot of action his way. He also whiffed on some pivotal plays at inopportune times that rubbed some folks the wrong way.

Regardless, Davis’ desire to learn and compete hard was appreciated on One Jets Drive. The Jets, however, wanted to upgrade and get younger at the position. They felt like they did that by locking up former Titans linebacker Avery Williamson, who is three years younger than Davis, to a three-year, $22.5 million deal.

Linebacker Demario Davis reveals the Jets never made an effort to bring him back.IMAGE BY: BILL KOSTROUN/AP

Davis says his goal is to help future Hall of Famer Drew Brees win a second Super Bowl.

"We've got to put another ring on Drew's finger," Davis said. "This game is about winning. It's a winning organization. You have one of the top, if not the top quarterback, in the game. I just have a tremendous amount of respect for Drew and what he does and being a part of a winning organization that is going to be contending for the playoffs year in and year out. You look at what the Saints did last year. They are right there. When you're right there, there are not a lot of changes that need to be made. I think they are on the cusp of something special and I just wanted to come in and be a part of that."

In the end, the Jets and Davis got what each of them wanted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It's not shocking, it's an indication that the organization may have learned from their previous
contract mistakes.  Don't let sentiment enter negotiations, judge the player for what they truly
are even if they exceed your expectations

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

It's not shocking, it's an indication that the organization may have learned from their previous
contract mistakes.  Don't let sentiment enter negotiations, judge the player for what they truly

Highly doubt that. 4 straight years of an old sh*t bag loser QB PROVES that theory wrong. 

I think it's surprising.

We downgraded (just look at last years performance numbers to start with).  Younger yes.

And we paid almost the same for the new guy as the Saints paid for Davis.

I'm ok letting over-ego schlubs like ASJ walk when they demand a billion dollars for 20 catches a year.

Letting Davis, a good story of a guy who came back and really blossomed and played pretty darn well, walk without even an offer or any kind?  Or a word to the player that the team simply planed to move on?

/shrug

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Would rather have A. Williamson + D. Davis than A. Williamson + D. Lee

your opinion but DD was in Lee's role when Harris was here and he wasn't good in it..It doesn't suit his strengths..

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets look at their situation: hey this guy wants WAY to much.  We will just sign one of the other ILBS and maybe get a comp pick out of it.

Jets won't be getting any comp picks next year. 

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

Couldnt agree more - the only thing to take from this article is that we are now running things the way we should.  Dont pay players just for being better then what the media thought.  Pay them for the player they will be in the next 1-3 years.

I didnt know who avery williamson was prior to FA, but to me he seems like an upgrade and Im happy with the way Mac handled this position

39 minutes ago, KRL said:

I agree. Seems like they followed the same course with Seferian-Jenkins. 

No problem with this. The Jets basically traded for him to get ride of the terrible Louisville Slacker. He over performed which was a bonus. He's heading towards 30 and signed 3 for 24mill, with 18 guaranteed!

That kind of contract sounds like the Saints trying to be the Jets. Good luck, I'm glad we got younger.

47 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couldnt agree more - the only thing to take from this article is that we are now running things the way we should.  Dont pay players just for being better then what the media thought.  Pay them for the player they will be in the next 1-3 years.

I didnt know who avery williamson was prior to FA, but to me he seems like an upgrade and Im happy with the way Mac handled this position

It is interesting to see. I have become so used to paying players because they just happened to not suck as much and we were used to them. Harris, Mo etc...Now we have a guy come in and sure play good for us but was nothing more than JAG, our FO then treats him like a JAG and get another one for cheaper and possible upside and our fans get upset. 

We have been beaten down so much that our own fans cry foul when we do things the correct way. Our FO sucks dont get me wrong, but when they do good things...most of this FA for example we should recognize it. 

I was very against not getting cousins, but now that I know he wanted fully guaranteed money, sorry Kirk you aren't Drew Brees, Aaron Rodger etc, I am def ok with them deciding to go Draft a QB. Other than picking up Crowell (I just don't like him because of the anti cop political BS) we have done a lot in FA and not made any horrible deals.

Come draft they need to use those first three picks to get at least two sure fire studs. If they do I think they get A+ this off season and not sure how anyone could see it different.

2 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Demario Davis reveals 'shocking' information about the Jets after signing with Saints 

MANISH MEHTA MAR 16, 2018 10:11 AM

The Jets were pleasantly surprised that Demario Davis did a solid job replacing David Harris last season, but he was never a priority free agent for them. In fact, Davis, who inked a 3-year, $24 million deal (with $18 million in guarantees) with the Saints, revealed Thursday that Gang Green basically had no desire whatsoever to bring him back.

"The shocking thing was the Jets didn't make me an offer,” Davis told The New Orleans Advocate. “So that made my decision easy, because all I had to do was look at the contenders.”

Davis racked up a career-high 135 total tackles and five sacks in his second stint with the Jets, who traded Calvin Pryor to the Browns for their former draft pick last summer after Harris was unceremoniously cut.

Although Davis surprised the Jets with his ability to do solid work as the Mike linebacker, there was a feeling in the building that his stats were buoyed by a scheme that funneled a lot of action his way. He also whiffed on some pivotal plays at inopportune times that rubbed some folks the wrong way.

Regardless, Davis’ desire to learn and compete hard was appreciated on One Jets Drive. The Jets, however, wanted to upgrade and get younger at the position. They felt like they did that by locking up former Titans linebacker Avery Williamson, who is three years younger than Davis, to a three-year, $22.5 million deal.

Linebacker Demario Davis reveals the Jets never made an effort to bring him back.IMAGE BY: BILL KOSTROUN/AP

Davis says his goal is to help future Hall of Famer Drew Brees win a second Super Bowl.

"We've got to put another ring on Drew's finger," Davis said. "This game is about winning. It's a winning organization. You have one of the top, if not the top quarterback, in the game. I just have a tremendous amount of respect for Drew and what he does and being a part of a winning organization that is going to be contending for the playoffs year in and year out. You look at what the Saints did last year. They are right there. When you're right there, there are not a lot of changes that need to be made. I think they are on the cusp of something special and I just wanted to come in and be a part of that."

In the end, the Jets and Davis got what each of them wanted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Can you believe this crap? The front office of the Jets is behind the scenes bad mouthing Demario Davis even though he had an excellent, pro bowl worthy season. Meanwhile, their very own draft pick Darron Lee is all but a BUST and yet you don't hear a whisper about him?

You know I used to think Tanny had way too much of an ego pertaining to his own draft choices and would give them way too many chances to start performing. Now, I am beginning to think Mac is just as bad if not worse? At Florham Park the entire narrative is about how wonderful every draft pick they make is, meanwhile a player that was drafted by the Jets, although a different regime is sh*t.

I think it's safe to say Mac doesn't read this forum?

Archived