$30 Million offered by Jets to Cousins

Paradis

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Let's put a bow on this story, and close the book for good. 

To the masses (you know who you are) who fought tooth and nail that "MONEY IS ALL THAT MATTERS".. well, here's your pudding, comes with proof already mixed in. Until we fix this thing ourselves, and through the draft, it's gonna always be this narrative.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-reportedly-offered-kirk-cousins-30m-per-year-before-he-signed-with-vikings/

Seems like the  "You know who you are" and "Money is all that matters" parts were more your reason making this thread than the actual article. 

If these numbers are correct then it wasnt like the Jets offer was much of a difference. It's not like the Jets offered 35 Million per or something that was completely in a different space in terms of contracts and Cousins just walked away from it. Dude picked the best team that was offering relatively the same amount of money. 

The difference in contract money was 7%. Cousins Leaving 2 million on the table to play for a stacked team isnt really saying much of anything when we're talking about him accepting a contract that's worth 28 million annually. 

He'll probably get that money back via taxes or the lack thereof in comparison to NJ. 

I dont think the I told you so part really works in this case. He practically was offered the same contract but the talent was drastically different. If he would have turned down 7-10 million per year you'd have a damn good point worthy of a "you know who you are" thread 

Dont waste thread opportunities on articles like this. When you have the opportunity to tell people that you told them so, it should be bigger than a 6 million dollar spread over the life of a contract. Kirk took the the best contract available and the Jets putting up 2 million more dollars only tells me that Kirk walked away from 6 million dollars in total, McCown is getting paid 40% more than that this year. 

C'mon, your trolling is typically much better than this. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Seems like the  "You know who you are" and "Money is all that matters" parts were more your reason making this thread than the actual article. 

If these numbers are correct then it wasnt like the Jets offer was much of a difference. It's not like the Jets offered 35 Million per or something that was completely in a different space in terms of contracts and Cousins just walked away from it. Dude picked the best team that was offering relatively the same amount of money. 

The difference in contract money was 7%. Cousins Leaving 2 million on the table to play for a stacked team isnt really saying much of anything when we're talking about him accepting a contract that's worth 28 million annually. 

He'll probably get that money back via taxes or the lack thereof in comparison to NJ. 

I dont think the I told you so part really works in this case. He practically was offered the same contract but the talent was drastically different. If he would have turned down 7-10 million per year you'd have a damn good point worthy of a "you know who you are" thread 

Dont waste thread opportunities on articles like this. When you have the opportunity to tell people that you told them so, it should be bigger than a 6 million dollar spread over the life of a contract. Kirk took the the best contract available and the Jets putting up 2 million more dollars only tells me that Kirk walked away from 6 million dollars in total, McCown is getting paid 40% more than that this year. 

Despite what my jerk-like personality can be on JN sometimes, i'm not a "seek out conflict" kind of guy. I wouldn't feel good intentionally ridiculing or trying to "Stick it to someone". We're all on the same team... I did want to turn the attention to this article as a way of underlining upfront money in 2018 wasn't the end all be all of Kirk's decision. Some people refuse to acknowledge that there was more at stake. 

W/e though. Book is closed. Lesson learned - we need to turn this team around from the inside. 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Despite what my jerk-like personality can be on JN sometimes, i'm not a "seek out conflict" kind of guy. I wouldn't feel good intentionally ridiculing or trying to "Stick it to someone". We're all on the same team... I did want to turn the attention to this article as a way of underlining upfront money in 2018 wasn't the end all be all of Kirk's decision. Some people refuse to acknowledge that there was more at stake. 

W/e though. Book is closed. Lesson learned - we need to turn this team around from the inside. 

We've been talking about it for days P. 

But C'mon...you, like me, arent trying to necessarily seek conflict when we troll, but using ("parenthesis") or using ALL CAPS is a way to emphasize. We both know trolling when we see it.

I personally dont have a problem with it, im just saying that emphasizing which what is ultimately a 6 mill difference over 3 years yet watching kirk settle for a 84 million dollar contract fully guaranteed from a team that was just at the NFCCG doesnt really hold up is all im saying. 

As a fellow troller, all im saying is to pick your trolling opportunities better. Kirk Cousins not only became the highest paid player in the league, but he also signed a fully guaranteed contract. You cant approach this situation the way you did because of 2 million dollars from the NY Jets. If the Jets offered something substantially higher then you'd have a point, but lets be serious, Kirk didnt walk away from money...if anything he walked into it because he has much more opportunity to be successful in this scenario and is only on a 3 year deal. 

The Jets would have had to offer something much higher and probably guarantee it over a longer period. None of that happened. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

We've been talking about it for days P. 

But C'mon...you, like me, arent trying to necessarily seek conflict when we troll, but using ("parenthesis") or using ALL CAPS is a way to emphasize. 

I personally dont have a problem with it, im just saying that emphasizing which what is ultimately a 6 mill difference over 3 years yet watching kirk settle for a 84 million dollar contract fully guaranteed from a team that was just at the NFCCG doesnt really hold up is all im saying. d. 

is it trolling if i'm right? 

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

is it trolling if i'm right? 

Trolling and being correct arent the same. Making this comment in a pre-existing thread wouldnt be trolling, making a new thread and acting like walking away from 6 million total when in reality he received 84 million total was such a paramount thing is trolling. 

Kirk didnt walk away from "all this money" the contracts were virtually the same based on the numbers in the article that you provided. Making a big deal over 7% isnt the same as folks like myself being mad because McCown was paid 6 million dollars last year, won five games and was rewarded with a 70% raise to 10 million and immediately told that he's the starter. 

Like I said, pick your trolling opportunities better man. I'd be in full support, but this was kinda lame. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think NJ taxes are set to go way up in the most recent budget too.  This raises the issue about the fairness of the salary cap.  States like Texas and Florida have lower taxes than NY.  Also the cost of living in NY is a lot more than it is elsewhere.  If I were a player there's no way I'd want to play in NY for that reason.  I'm going to risk my health for the government to take away 50% (or more!) of my money and then pay a huge cost of living premium in addition? 

Though I guess a player can claim residence in another state and pay that state's taxes?  Anyone know if that's the case?

7 hours ago, CTM said:

Ah! Read that wrong on phone, 100%.  My bad! I get triggered by my taxes somehow going up in this tax cut.

Wait, what’s the scenario there? I’ve done many calculations for many clients to show how their taxes will change for 2018 and I’ve always come up with tax savings. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think NJ taxes are set to go way up in the most recent budget too.  This raises the issue about the fairness of the salary cap.  States like Texas and Florida have lower taxes than NY.  Also the cost of living in NY is a lot more than it is elsewhere.  If I were a player there's no way I'd want to play in NY for that reason.  I'm going to risk my health for the government to take away 50% (or more!) of my money and then pay a huge cost of living premium in addition? 

Though I guess a player can claim residence in another state and pay that state's taxes?  Anyone know if that's the case?

Pretty sure it has to be a reciprocal state, which most states aren’t 

25 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Wait, what’s the scenario there? I’ve done many calculations for many clients to show how their taxes will change for 2018 and I’ve always come up with tax savings. 

Single, high wage earner in NJ losing a decent amount of salt deduction. 

The 32 and 35 rates kick in much sooner in the new plan, to save as a single you need to have a significant amount of income over the reduced top tier. 

My only life line is I might not trigger the AMT anymore but last I looked there was conflicting info. 

If I was married with a non working or low earning wife I'd save like that 20k

Slight problem with this takeaway.
In Minnesota, Cousins will pay a flat tax of 4.25% of his income (due to Minny's agreement with Michigan).  On his 28,000,000 salary, that's $1,190,000.  So his net income in Minnesota is $26,810,000/year.
In NJ, Cousins would have paid $2,676,000 in state income tax, dropping his net on a 30M salary to $27,324,000.
Basically, we offered him about 500K more per year to come play for us.  On a deal that's netting him about 27M a year, that's a negligible bump, especially considering what he already pocketed over the last two years.  Drawing broad conclusions about how a stronger financial offer will play to other free agents based on Cousins going to Minnesota for 500K less per year isn't warranted
He'd also have to pay state taxes in MICH too, right? Since there's no agreement? I read that somewhere. Besides that, the Jets (and all AFC and NFC East teams) play more games in high-tax states. And yes, players get presented with gross and net numbers. And this doesn't even factor cost of living. The Minnesota offer was more lucrative.

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

not to mention that whatever additional money he would've got would be eaten up by new jersey taxes.  i can't blame cousins for choosing the vikes although i don't think they will repeat there performance this season.  it's hard to tell. they still have to deal with the packers, lions and bears (oh my).

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

MN’s state income taxes are higher than NJ’s. (9.85% vs 8.97%). He took less in gross pay and still less in take home pay.

Yeah cost of living & property taxes are higher in NJ, but it’s not that much higher (not 7 figures per year more than living in MN).

He went to Minnesota, not Kazakhstan.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

MN’s state income taxes are higher than NJ’s. (9.85% vs 8.97%). He took less in gross pay and still less in take home pay.

Yeah cost of living & property taxes are higher in NJ, but it’s not that much higher (not 7 figures per year more than living in MN).

Yeah but the thing about Kazakhstan is that it’s the number one exporter of potassium. All other countries have inferior potassium.  

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah but the thing about Kazakhstan is that it’s the number one exporter of potassium. All other countries have inferior potassium.  

And don’t forget that they have the world’s biggest box!

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, what's the numbers for living and property taxes?????

According to the 'sports tax guy on Sirius the other day, Cousins has a home in Michigan, and Minnesota and Michigan have a reciprocal tax agreement, so if he plays for Minnesota he wouldn't've to pay Minnesota tax, just Michigan. The Michigan tax rate is 4.25. If he signed with the Jets, he would have to pay tax in NJ and Michigan.

I'm no accountant but it looks like Minn outbid the Jets $26.8MM vs $26MM net.

Eff Cousins.  I just read he turned down the Jets because of "the leadership of the organization".  That putz didn't even meet with "the leadership of the organization".  Said the people in Minneapolis were "Minnesota Nice".  What a pussy.  I hope we kick his *ss when he comes in here in the fall.

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

Eff Cousins.  I just read he turned down the Jets because of "the leadership of the organization".  That putz didn't even meet with "the leadership of the organization".  Said the people in Minneapolis were "Minnesota Nice".  What a pussy.  I hope we kick his *ss when he comes in here in the fall.

Didn’t he get the Jamal Adams “leader of men” memo?

Or maybe he was like “they’re offering Kirk Cousins $30M per season?!   What idiots they must have leading this organization!”

Cousins is not a Jet for one reason: MAC and Bowles have squandered 3 seasons keeping the team from improving, and anyone arguing that the real rebuild starts this year has forfeited the right to be upset over Cousins.

Maybe he doesn’t like that Woody is a Trump lapdog.

:good:  Wait till Minny finds out that he's just an average QB.  Yeah that would be sweet kicking his a$$ this year.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cousins is not a Jet for one reason: MAC and Bowles have squandered 3 seasons keeping the team from improving, and anyone arguing that the real rebuild starts this year has forfeited the right to be upset over Cousins.

Agree on all points.  I just thought that comment when he chose not to meet with anyone was rather hypocritical.  Say you don't like the leadership of the organization after you actually meet with the leadership of the organization.  And the "Minnesota Nice" crap?  This is football, not women's figure skating.  You do your job and win games like you're supposed to do and everyone will be nice to you.  If he's that thin skinned I'm glad we didn't get him. 

I hope we rearrange his molars in the fall.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is true.  I have a lot of friends in Minnesota.  They call it "The Land of 10,000 Taxes"... not "Lakes".

This is true.  I have a lot of friends in Minnesota.  They call it "The Land of 10,000 Taxes"... not lakes.
Maybe he knew he was going to MIN in 2017 when he bought the house in Michigan. That cuts his tax in half - more than half. Seems like a no-brainer for a pro athlete to maintain residency in Michigan or another state with a low tax rate that has a reciprocal agreement with MN.

Archived