You are the Browns GM

With picks 1 and 4, what is your strategy? They are in a position to fleece multiple teams out of picks and players. Unless they truly feel that Darnold is the next big thing, they could set their team up to become a dynasty.  I hope that they fleece the Bills and their pick makes Ryan Leaf look like Johnny Unitas.

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

With picks 1 and 4, what is your strategy? They are in a position to fleece multiple teams out of picks and players. Unless they truly feel that Darnold is the next big thing, they could set their team up to become a dynasty.  I hope that they fleece the Bills and their pick makes Ryan Leaf look like Johnny Unitas.

I dont think the Browns are moving out of #1. Plenty of years over the past decade we've seen the Browns trade down and miss on valuable, franchise changing talent. 

If the GM of the Browns sincerely wants to change the culture and direction of that organization, you take the best QB in your eyes and then the BAP at #4. The Browns have more than enough picks having 2 top 5 picks, 3 second round picks and a 3rd. 

If anything they could be trading up in this draft after picking 1 and 4. How are they going to sign all of these rookies. It's about quality, not quantity at this point for the browns. 

6 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Browns need to take Barkley #1, or else the Giants will take him. They are still guaranteed a QB at 4.

The Browns realistically would take Barkley, and Allen at 4

They aren't guaranteed anything at 4. The idea that there are 4 tops QBs is completely subjective. All that matters is what the GM for the team thinks. The Browns may feel that there are only 2 QBs worthy of 1st round picks, not 4. 

I have felt all along that there is no chance the Browns are trading the number 1 pick this time around. Not with their recent history. 

I still think they take the QB they want at number 1. The interesting team here is the Giants. If they don’t take a QB, we get Darnold or Rosen. 

51 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I would take the QB of my liking at #1 and then trade down with my #4 pick.

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Also, everyone thinks Darnold is a lock at 1. I think the Browns like Allen. And that's strictly based on Hue Jackson saying that hand size and arm strength are his two favorite things about a QB.

The GM also likes Mayfield a lot.....

The Browns have a lot of picks.  They don’t need more picks, really.  They need to take their best QB at 4.  Who knows what that is, but if I am Haslam I would tell Dorsey to take his best QB, and then see how he does.

The Browns were also smart enough to get help in making that pick, in Scot M and Parcells.  I have not seen the Jets do that.  

Someone will offer them a lot of picks for the 4th pick.  They can trade that.  Who knows who is there.  That is up to the Giants.  

The future is now for the Browns.  Haslam should be expecting a meaningful number of wins.  

Take Darnold and hope Chubb or Barkley are there at #6. 

They have enough picks and all of a sudden have some serious talent so, why not just capitalize on all the picks?  Stock piling more is great but that's what they've done for the last 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Take Darnold and hope Chubb or Barkley are there at #6. 

They have enough picks and all of a sudden have some serious talent so, why not just capitalize on all the picks?  Stock piling more is great but that's what they've done for the last 2 seasons. 

#4 not #6

Obviously you take your top QB when you have a chance to do so, not risk going with the leftovers after the Giants and Jets take your top 2 QBs off the board.

What's their worst case (other than picking the wrong QB of course)? Barkley goes #2? BFD. Then take Chubb so offenses have to defend a serious pass rusher on each side. Or if they don't think he's worth the 4th overall selection (and all that they could parlay the pick into), then with 2 QBs still on the board, trade down to a QB-needy team (e.g. Buffalo, Arizona) who badly wants to trade up ahead of Denver at #5, and pick up another #1 pick. 

Last thing they want to do after having the #1 and #4 overall picks in a QB-heavy draft, is end up with the 3rd-best QB prospect, only to find out later on that there were only 2 good ones up top after all, and now they're looking to extend Tyrod Taylor.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The best way to "set their team up to become a dynasty" is to hit on a QB.

I take my favorite QB at 1, lets say, for the Browns, it's Darnold.

Now, at 4, Darnold, Rosen, and Barkley/Chubb/Allen/Mayfield are gone.

I've already called the Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, and Cardinals before the draft to gauge interest/talk scenarios re: QB here.

From the Broncos, I take this years and next years 2 and this year's 3 for the trade.  From everyone else, this years 2 and next years 1 is where we start.

If I get a deal I like, I make the move.  If I don't:

If Barkley is gone, I take Mayfield.  I'll take two QBs, I don't care, I can trade one in 2 years if both can play.  I still have a lot of picks to play with this year.

If Mayfield is gone, I take Barkley.

If both available, I probably take Mayfield.

---

If I got the deal with the Broncos, I then call the Bills, Dolphins, and Cardinals, and see who likes whomever's left of Allen/Mayfield.  If I get next years 1 from them, I take it, then BAP with their pick. 

If I don't get the deal #2, and Barkley and Mayfield are available still, I decide between the two of them.  If it's Allen, I take Barkley or Chubb.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#4 not #6

Obviously you take your top QB when you have a chance to do so, not risk going with the leftovers after the Giants and Jets take your top 2 QBs off the board.

What's their worst case (other than picking the wrong QB of course)? Barkley goes #2? BFD. Then take Chubb so offenses have to defend a serious pass rusher on each side. Or if they don't think he's worth the 4th overall selection (and all that they could parlay the pick into), then with 2 QBs still on the board, trade down to a QB-needy team (e.g. Buffalo, Arizona) who badly wants to trade up ahead of Denver at #5, and pick up another #1 pick. 

Last thing they want to do after having the #1 and #4 overall picks in a QB-heavy draft, is end up with the 3rd-best QB prospect, only to find out later on that there were only 2 good ones up top after all, and now they're looking to extend Tyrod Taylor.

Right...4

I see it this way; Get the #1 QB, Get the #1 pass rusher and BAP it the rest of the way.  I get having more picks but the idea of having the best players in 2 of the most important positions on the field is hard to turn down...especially considering all they've done in FA and all the picks they still have + a solid young core. 

Facing Chubb and Garrett each week, yikes! 

Unless the Browns LOVE one of the QB's significantly more than the other, they should take Barkley at #1 and be happy that they will get at worst the #3 QB on the board at #4.  This would be their safest strategy.  Picking a QB at #1 MIGHT prevent them from getting Barkley.  Not sure they would want to roll the dice like that.

17 minutes ago, Jazy8ball said:

What your opinion on the Giants trade.. Does that deal mean they are looking at Chubb with the 2nd pick?

That is tough, but IMO Gettleman talks too much, and unless he is a devious fellow, the Giant are only taking a QB at 2 if the Browns do not take Darnold. So, it is Barkley, Chubb, or a trade. I don't see the Giants trading down any farther than Denver, and I get the feeling Denver has no desire to trade up. While I have been convinced the Giants will take Barkley, despite Eli's contributions to their SB wins, the fact is the Giants won every one of their SB's because they had a really good D that could get after a QB. Right now I'm 50/50 on whether it will be Chubb or Barkley at #2. 

If I am the Browns, the team needs stars and not more picks.  Preference would be Darnold/Barkley but if the NYGs take Barkley, there is still Chubb (to lineup opposite to Myles) or Denzel Ward or Minkah Fitzpatrick.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:34 AM, Grandy said:

Browns need to take Barkley #1, or else the Giants will take him. They are still guaranteed a QB at 4.

The Browns realistically would take Barkley, and Allen at 4

Terrible strategy. You risk losing out on Barkley. You don't risk losing out on the best QB in the class. Take the QB. Theres a strong possibility Barkley is there at 4. Giants are just as likely to take Chubb, Nelson, or a QB as they are Barkley. 

Archived