Am I the only poster who thinks we gave up an extra pick?

j4jets

Gave up too much?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Gave up too much?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

No. My criteria is "feared" or "era" 

Marino, kelly, cheater 

Cheater is getting old. If we get a guy, develop him and keep him, that's 10 years. 

If he is the best QB in the division years 3-7 nobody will remember the 3rd second rounder 

2 words that, put together, are alien and virtually unknown to Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh, ......

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

That was a unique situation because Mangini  was familiar with our players and we had guys he liked. At the time, most peolple felt that the Browns didn’t get enough back from us. 

That trade was basically Mangini hooking MR. T up. 

That trade was Mangini laying a bear trap and Tannenbaum walking right into it.

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Assume we offered the Giants at least what we offered IND, maybe a little more.  They already declined.  Assume BUF made a very good offer to IND for the pick, but IND chose our offer.  Therefore the price to move up to the Giants will be more than what we paid, which is more than what BUF offered already, assuming the Giants even want to move down and are willing to go as low as 12.  That's a lot of 'if's.  Could happen but not likely.  I'd be more concerned about DEN moving up if they didn't already have Keenum which makes me think they might stand pat and hope Allen drops to them.

Giants could draft a QB. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

2 words that, put together, are alien and virtually unknown to Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm, Groh, ......

lol

It may take a coaching change  but at least the current offensive coaching staff isn't planning on retirement in 2 years 

Stating the obvious here  but without a lot of picks free agency is so crucial now. Any oline or WR left? 

We really really really need a TE to bail the kid out on 3rd down 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

lol

It may take a coaching change  but at least the current offensive coaching staff isn't planning on retirement in 2 years 

Stating the obvious here  but without a lot of picks free agency is so crucial now. Any oline or WR left? 

We really really really need a TE to bail the kid out on 3rd down 

there was a TE who I wanted desperately in round 2.  NFW does the kid drop to round 3 unfortunately.

1 hour ago, jbt said:

no not with the threat of the bills or another team trading up

Definitely. It was a sellers market tho I wish we could have kept one of the 2nd and given up a 3rd instead. Value chart says we gave up 2960 and the #3 pick was worth 2200.

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Of course we did otherwise Indy would of said no thanks we’ll wait till draft day. 

It also benefits Colts to make trade now. It gives Colts more time to do their homework And expand their board for 2 more 2nd round picks. I think they were thinking Chubb or Barkley at 3. They still very well Chubb at 3. Now they have time to do their hw on another

22 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

There was no rookie salary scale back then. 

The draft chart is outdated up top especially. There is a massive difference between missing on a top 5 pick now vs before the rookie wage scale. Back then it'd kill your cap in a big way. Nowadays the years and terms are largely slotted. Draft picks are way more valuable now that the downside is largely gone.

couple that with diluted FA pools from increasing cap numbers leaves draft picks yet again more valuable since it's the only way to grab a top qb or top pass rusher.

Judging the trade off the draft chart value is too simplistic. There is a massive dropoff from the top 2 to the 3rd and then to the 4th qb in this draft. We already have one other known competitor in the Bills driving prices up, the fact that it wasn't more expensive is a good reason why people like it. 

I think it's a solid deal no more, no less.  Now I'm definitely excited about moving up, but I just mean it terms of pure value.  Jets' didn't get robbed, and neither did the Colts.  Trying to compare it to that Jets/Brown trade is just way off the mark, that was considered an absolute heist and you're never going to see anything like that again.  It was such a weird combination of circumstances that made that deal work, and even still it was laughable that the deal somehow got made.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Definitely. It was a sellers market tho I wish we could have kept one of the 2nd and given up a 3rd instead. Value chart says we gave up 2960 and the #3 pick was worth 2200.

when top prospect QBs are in play, you can either throw the draft value chart in the trash or increase the points by a minimum of 30-50%.  Go do the same calculations for QB trade ups in round 1 over the past several years.  They are all draft chart value + a premium of 30 - 50% or more.  But only for QBs.

59 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tin.....could you elaborate on this point. I don’t get it

@32EBoozer

Mac told us that he plans to build this team via the draft, but he just gave away 3 high profile draft picks in an effort to acquire the missing link franchise QB . Those picks need to be regained and the only way I know how to acquire draft picks is by having an asset another team might want to trade picks for .The only way to acquire draft picks that high is by trading a QB worth something .

That's where Bridgewater comes in and IMO why he was signed to the type of contract he got from the Jets and probably why he accepted it . I think despite what Josh McCown was told, Teddy Bridge water will be given every opportunity to win the starting QB position just like Hackenberg was last year . The hope on the Jets part is that Bridgewater can regain the form that had many in league circles bussing making himself attractive to other teams .

The Eagles did it with Bradford and can do the same with Foles if they so choose . The Cheaters did it with Jimmy G and the Chiefs just did it with Alex Smith .  IMO, it is in the best interest of the Jets if Teddy Bridgewater wins the starting job in 2018, earns every single dime of that 15mil  incentive laden contract he sign and become someone the Jets can trade next year and regain those picks we needed to use in this trade up . You don't give away all those picks without creating an opportunity for yourself to regain them if you're a smart GM .

Teddy Bridgewater just became the most important player on the Jets roster .

3 hours ago, pointman said:

We traded in some "maybes", a few complimentary players (based on our history), for a higher percentage chance at a winner. A QB that could be the franchise face, leader for decade and a half. 

Hopefully but there is also a good chance the qb doesnt work out which is my biggest fear

Just now, Jets723 said:

Hopefully but there is also a good chance the qb doesnt work out which is my biggest fear

Why bother waking up in the morning with the most defeatist attitude ever? You don't even know who we are picking yet. We have the THIRD pick out of the entire damn draft, we are choosing from the greatest talent people in the world... and you... you are worked it will be a bad choice already. Come on man. Get your sheet together.

3 minutes ago, pointman said:

Why bother waking up in the morning with the most defeatist attitude ever? You don't even know who we are picking yet. We have the THIRD pick out of the entire damn draft, we are choosing from the greatest talent people in the world... and you... you are worked it will be a bad choice already. Come on man. Get your sheet together.

Defeatist attitude?  Im fine with the move. Just not getting ahead of myself. We still have plenty of holes and gave up 3 high picks so thats important to keep in mind

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

By the way i wake up just fine in the morning. I have a beautiful family and great job. I love sports but i dont get bent out of shape about it

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Defeatist attitude?  Im fine with the move. Just not getting ahead of myself. We still have plenty of holes and gave up 3 high picks so thats important to keep in mind

Yeah, defeatist attitude. You said "there is also a good chance the qb doesnt work out ". LOL! How do you know there is a good chance the qb doesn't work out when you don't know who the quarterback is? When this is considered of the most prolific QB drafts in decades? When we have the THIRD pick in this QB rich draft? 

Just now, pointman said:

Yeah, defeatist attitude. You said "there is also a good chance the qb doesnt work out ". LOL! How do you know there is a good chance the qb doesn't work out when you don't know who the quarterback is? When this is considered of the most prolific QB drafts in decades? When we have the THIRD pick in this QB rich draft? 

Im actually pretty darn happy. Come on dude i thought we made a truce a few days ago. We should both be happy.   Lets Go Jets!!!

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Im actually pretty darn happy. Come on dude i thought we made a truce a few days ago. We should both be happy.   Lets Go Jets!!!

Then why already say the QB probably won't work out? Thats a sad attitude to have. I am very happy. And I legit have no clue who you are. I have no ill will. 

Archived