Am I the only poster who thinks we gave up an extra pick?

j4jets

Gave up too much?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Gave up too much?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Then why already say the QB probably won't work out? Thats a sad attitude to have. I am very happy. And I legit have no clue who you are. I have no ill will. 

Im VERY happy. I was just kidding around.  This is a good day to be a jets fan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, j4jets said:

Maybe I got spoiled with the 2009 trade we made for Sanchez, moving from 17th to 5th, giving up a 2nd and a bunch of soon-to-be insurance agents. 

No, and heres why. You only picked an incredibly lopsided trade that obviously favoured the Jets at the time. 

Trade #1. Browns/Jets: That was a very friendly trade given that the coach of the Browns that year was Eric Mangini, the Jets coach just the year before. The Jets gave up their 1st and 2nd round picks and 3 role players to draft a guy who didnt cut it and the Browns made a trade that was very lopsided in favor of the Jets. 

Trade #2. Rams/Redskins: This deal was very unfriendly. Just a couple years later the Redskins trade with the Rams to go from 6th overall to 2nd overall for RG3. The Redskins gave up three 1st round picks (2012, 13 & 14) and a 2nd rounder (2012) in order to move up 4 spots to draft a guy who didnt cut it and the Rams stuck it to the Redskins royally in terms of draft picks. Too bad they did nothing with those picks for the most part. 

The Jets are in the middle, which in my opinion is a fair deal. The Jets traded the 6th overall and both 2nds this year and one next year to move up 3rd overall. Both teams get what they want from this deal. The Jets guarantee that they get one of the top 3 QB's in this draft which could change the direction of this entire franchise if they hit, and the Colts need to bring in quality players and now has received numerous picks within the top 50 to do so. Add to the fact that whomever the Colts were interested in drafting will most likely be there at 6th overall given how many QB's are anticipated to be drafted high this year. 

This was a fair deal that benefits both teams. 

What I will say is that folks that are celebrating the fact that the Jets didnt give up a 1st next year shouldnt. The trade doesnt warrant trading next year's first round pick. If they traded up to #1 then that would absolutely guarantee them their guy, which would probably require that #1 pick next year. This is probably why they didnt go up to #1 because though they may have a favorite QB of the 3, the Jets are probably comfortable taking any of the three so there was no need to jump out the window like that. 

The deal was a fair deal and beneficial to both teams. 

13 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Hopefully but there is also a good chance the qb doesnt work out which is my biggest fear

We didnt get that far yet. The Jets not putting themselves in position to get their guy was my biggest fear. They've done that so im pretty content. If it doesnt work out then it doesnt. That beats sitting at 6 and watching a guy that you like get drafted because you fear that the guy you like may not work out. Why even draft players then? 

C'mon. 

17 hours ago, Larz said:

I have been a fan since 1982. I have yet to experience what it feels like to draft a QB that is all ours, not some other teams cast off, that goes on to be the best QB in the division for years 

I still may not, but quibbling over the cost seems to miss the big picture. 

image.jpg

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

@32EBoozer

Mac told us that he plans to build this team via the draft, but he just gave away 3 high profile draft picks in an effort to acquire the missing link franchise QB . Those picks need to be regained and the only way I know how to acquire draft picks is by having an asset another team might want to trade picks for .The only way to acquire draft picks that high is by trading a QB worth something .

That's where Bridgewater comes in and IMO why he was signed to the type of contract he got from the Jets and probably why he accepted it . I think despite what Josh McCown was told, Teddy Bridge water will be given every opportunity to win the starting QB position just like Hackenberg was last year . The hope on the Jets part is that Bridgewater can regain the form that had many in league circles bussing making himself attractive to other teams .

The Eagles did it with Bradford and can do the same with Foles if they so choose . The Cheaters did it with Jimmy G and the Chiefs just did it with Alex Smith .  IMO, it is in the best interest of the Jets if Teddy Bridgewater wins the starting job in 2018, earns every single dime of that 15mil  incentive laden contract he sign and become someone the Jets can trade next year and regain those picks we needed to use in this trade up . You don't give away all those picks without creating an opportunity for yourself to regain them if you're a smart GM .

Teddy Bridgewater just became the most important player on the Jets roster .

You had it then lost it.

He’s on a 1y contract. The way to do it is trade TB this year before he gets reinjured or strings together 2-3 down/meh games. If he starts the whole season the Jets aren’t tagging or extending him at well over $20m per. Not unless the QB they drafted is seriously injured or terrible, in which case they’re extending TB for themselves not for trading. 

Trade him while he’s still upright/healthy, while he’s under contract at low $. If he’s all you say this year the Jets will get nothing if they wait to the end of the season to unload him. A tag & trade is possible but also risky; he’d have to be not merely back to form, but noticeably better than ever (around Cousins-level) with that added injury concern that’ll follow him for another season before no one’s worried anymore.

He is only the most important player on the Jets roster if they’re keeping him long term as our FQB. Unless we’re talking about that, there are multiple rostered players that are more important, starting with the kid they draft at #3. 

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

Maybe I got spoiled with the 2009 trade we made for Sanchez, moving from 17th to 5th, giving up a 2nd and a bunch of soon-to-be insurance agents. 

you dont think Buffalo had an offer on the table?  Or Miami?  Or whoever?

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

@32EBoozer

Mac told us that he plans to build this team via the draft, but he just gave away 3 high profile draft picks in an effort to acquire the missing link franchise QB . Those picks need to be regained and the only way I know how to acquire draft picks is by having an asset another team might want to trade picks for .The only way to acquire draft picks that high is by trading a QB worth something .

That's where Bridgewater comes in and IMO why he was signed to the type of contract he got from the Jets and probably why he accepted it . I think despite what Josh McCown was told, Teddy Bridge water will be given every opportunity to win the starting QB position just like Hackenberg was last year . The hope on the Jets part is that Bridgewater can regain the form that had many in league circles bussing making himself attractive to other teams .

The Eagles did it with Bradford and can do the same with Foles if they so choose . The Cheaters did it with Jimmy G and the Chiefs just did it with Alex Smith .  IMO, it is in the best interest of the Jets if Teddy Bridgewater wins the starting job in 2018, earns every single dime of that 15mil  incentive laden contract he sign and become someone the Jets can trade next year and regain those picks we needed to use in this trade up . You don't give away all those picks without creating an opportunity for yourself to regain them if you're a smart GM .

Teddy Bridgewater just became the most important player on the Jets roster .

well, you can also look at this as adding Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Hack, Geno and a bevy of other Jet 2nd rounders to the trade to spice it up.

If the Broncos or Cardinals got this slot, would have cost a lot more to move to 2 if even poasible.

i don’t know which of my top 3 I even like best, I can make a strong case for any of them.  

Have to figure the Broncos we’re trying to get in this slot. I’m not worried about 3 2’s that we probably would have missed in anyway. Let’s just get our guy and pray!

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

we got lucky in 2009 b/c Mangini knew all those players.  That was a steal.  we gave up a little more BUT there was MUCH more competition to move up and we moved even higher up in the draft.  The bottom line is if we get a franchise QB this trade will be viewed as a steal.  they just have to pick the right guy now.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

My only concern is, we are settling for the third best QB after giving up all that capital. 

3rd best based on what? The Browns scouting department and the Giants ( who picked Geno as their backup QB)

The crazy thing about a draft is no team will know who got the best QB on draft day.

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

3rd best based on what? The Browns scouting department and the Giants ( who picked Geno as their backup QB)

The crazy thing about a draft is no team will know who got the best QB on draft day.

General assumption is that if it’s the third QB of the draft, it’s probably 3rd best QB. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we got lucky in 2009 b/c Mangini knew all those players.  That was a steal.  we gave up a little more BUT there was MUCH more competition to move up and we moved even higher up in the draft.  The bottom line is if we get a franchise QB this trade will be viewed as a steal. they just have to pick the right guy now.

This is what gives me the shivers. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:52 PM, Dcat said:

Of course Indi chose our offer over anything Buffalo promised.  Because the Colts now get the #6 pick (not the #12 Bills pick) and are virtually guaranteed to get one of the two same exact players they coveted at #3: Chubb, most likely will be there with an outside chance at Barkley.

Colts played this well.  At #12 (Bills spot) they weren't getting either Chubb or Barkley.  At 6 they have like a 90%+ chance of getting one of those along with 3 extra round 2 picks in the next 2 drafts.  Fantastic deal for the Colts if they still get one of their two guys (Chubb or Barkley).

Yep

Wait till you see the ransom the Bills give up to the Giant's on draft night to get the #2.  The Bills are in the same boat as the Jets, they must get a QB

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep

Wait till you see the ransom the Bills give up to the Giant's on draft night to get the #2.  The Bills are in the same boat as the Jets, they must get a QB

hope they don't.  Can't wait to see AJ McCarron or Petermen starting.

McCarron's wife would probably the best looking woman in a 200 mile radius.

Katherine-Webb-with-her-hus.jpg

I dont have a problem with the trade so to speak, i dont see how trading up to hopefully get our guy was wise.  I understand the like three guys perception, but if feels like taking the scraps for the fancy dinner bill.  JMO.

Archived