To Those Who Wanted Kirk Cousins, What Are Your Thoughts Now?

TuscanyTile2

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Instead, we gave McCown 10 and Bridgewater 5 which could escalate to 15 and 4 draft picks which we could have salvaged.  The Cousins deal was by far the best deal!

McCown and Bridgewater are one year deals. We are not competing this year, so its not comparable to cousins getting 30 for 3 years IMO.

And for the record, I think getting both McCown and Bridgewater was asinine. One of them would have been fine, no explanation at all for both, particularly if they were going to do this.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

McCown and Bridgewater are one year deals. We are not competing this year, so its not comparable to cousins getting 30 for 3 years IMO.

And for the record, I think getting both McCown and Bridgewater was asinine. One of them would have been fine, no explanation at all for both, particularly if they were going to do this.

No argument here.  We could have done the McCown thing and perhaps Bridgewater has upside, but then to trade 3 picks?  That's where it becomes assinine for me.  I guess this deal just came together in the last couple of days. 

I was all for signing Cousins but I think I am happier with this move to #3.  This allows us to draft what hopefully will be our franchise qb for the next 10-15 years.  I know it’s a crap shoot but it’s an exciting one.  I’m very pleased with the off season that Mac has had up to this point.  He now needs to fill a couple of more holes to cover for the loss of draft picks.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I would have preferred going with petty last yr, securing 2nd pick in draft for free. But that’s just me lol

Agree, but it's hard for any GM/coach to commit to that without a promise from ownership that they won't get fired for going 1-15/2-14 (Which means nothing anyway, if hysterical/silly fans start getting billboards). 

That's always the problem with these "lets just tank" arguments. They aren't usually realistic options for the people making the decisions. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agree, but it's hard for any GM/coach to commit to that without a promise from ownership that they won't get fired for going 1-15/2-14 (Which means nothing anyway, if hysterical/silly fans start getting billboards). 

That's always the problem with these "lets just tank" arguments. They aren't usually realistic options for the people making the decisions. 

I agree if the owner is committed to winnning that yr. But trading/cutting starters without replacing them shows they were “ re-building “ ( cute word for not tanking). I think if woody was around he would have fired Mac for failing to tank. “ can’t win or tank right , you’re fired “ ha

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't ask this is a snooty way.  I'm genuinely asking what your thoughts are now that the Jets have traded up to #3.  If you had the choice to sign Cousins 3 years $30M per, would you prefer that over where we're at right now?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree if the owner is committed to winnning that yr. But trading/cutting starters without replacing them shows they were “ re-building “ ( cute word for not tanking). I think if woody was around he would have fired Mac for failing to tank. “ can’t win or tank right , you’re fired “ ha

Yeah, but Bowles had nothing close to a guarantee of returning if they went' 1-15/2-14 in his second consecutive losing season. I think he almost certainly would have been fired. He had to "overachieve" to keep his job. Hence, he played McCown

Cousins was my preference. Known commodity, all he cost was Woody’s money.

I was surprised and pleased with the trade up price. Mac made a great deal.

Elated we will have a Young QB to root for. Happy to support whichever one they choose. Go Jets!

I really wanted Cousins here but.................

If I guy doesn't want to be here......

I DON'T WANT HIM HERE!!!!!

IMO we will be fine with the moves Mac has been making; there are no guarantees in the draft,but at least the Jets are acting like they have common sense for once................ 

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, but Bowles had nothing close to a guarantee of returning if they went' 1-15/2-14 in his second consecutive losing season. I think he almost certainly would have been fired. He had to "overachieve" to keep his job. Hence, he played McCown

I agree. But Bowles didn’t have the power to sign players. He was pissed when Mac traded Richardson. Mac didn’t calculate McCown would be miles ahead of Petty and Mac. Why they gave those two every chance to beat McCown out in camp.  In my mind if qbs were just petty and hackenberg, we are definitely picking 2nd. At no cost.

46 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Plus the coach has an obligation to the guys in the room to at least try to win, and if hack and petty were as bad as people say they were what kind of message would you be sending to the other guys in the room to just hand them the starting job. 

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

My plan A was Cousins bc the chances of any of these QB's being as good is not high. If that didn't happen then anything but trading up for a QB would of been a complete fail. I'm happy they moved quickly. I'm hopeful that they have an agreement with the Giants that if another team wants to trade up to #2 that they will contact the Jets before they trade that pick.

You do realize that there's a snowball's chance in hell that the Giants would ever agree to that, right? That said, I think Gettleman still ends up trading down, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it with the Bills or Broncosj. I know he's been talking about drafting a QB, but let's face it - he's been saying that to lure another team into trading up, and drafting a QB at #2 doesn't make sense with Eli still having at least two quality seasons left in him and a bunch of holes to fill on the roster.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't ask this is a snooty way.  I'm genuinely asking what your thoughts are now that the Jets have traded up to #3.  If you had the choice to sign Cousins 3 years $30M per, would you prefer that over where we're at right now?

Still trying to understand how we have a box safety in lieu of mahomes or Watson. 

16 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Still trying to understand how we have a box safety in lieu of mahomes or Watson. 

Because Macagnan is an idiot.  If they did a redraft of last year Adams wouldn’t even be a first round pick

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm happy where we are right now. If Cousins was here fine but he didn't want to come here so f^*kem.

Drafting and developing our own franchise quarterback, to play his entire career, and win us a chanpionship(s) has been my ideal scenario as a Jets fan for a long time. That was my “Plan A.”

Plan B for Cousins I was fine with, until he heard he wanted a 3 year deal. I’m sick of mercs, especially short term band aids at quarterback. We need OUR quarterback, not A  quarterback, and we need that individual here for a MINIMUM of 10 years.

This is perfect. I’m happy Cousins isn’t here. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Drafting and developing our own franchise quarterback, to play his entire career, and win us a chanpionship(s) has been my ideal scenario as a Jets fan for a long time. That was my “Plan A.”

Plan B for Cousins I was fine with, until he heard he wanted a 3 year deal. I’m sick of mercs, especially short term band aids at quarterback. We need OUR quarterback, not A  quarterback, and we need that individual here for a MINIMUM of 10 years.

This is perfect. I’m happy Cousins isn’t here. 

Always prefer drafting our own QB and take us all the way.  When free agency first started,

back in what 1992, it was tough rooting for a quarterback coming in from another team. This is exciting times for the Jets.   

If the draft was before free agency, the priority would have been Rosen/Darnold.

But since we were at 6 and in no position to guarantee getting either, Macc was forced to at least try to get Cousins.

Now that Cousins is not an option, Macc did the best thing and moved up in the draft.

My personal opinion is that Josh Allen is not a fit for the WCO that Bates is going to utilize.  Yes, I get that we can change philosophies, but the type of offense that Allen could possibly excel in, is the Todd Haley built in Pitt.  The two offenses are quite different.

With that in mind, my hope is that Macc made this trade after analyzing insider info that either Cle is taking Allen or the Giants are taking Barkley.  This would guarantee Macc Rosen.  The guy he has been watching for at least the past two years and who also is the best fit in the offense that Bates it going to run.

22 minutes ago, 1st Down said:

Always prefer drafting our own QB and take us all the way.  When free agency first started,

back in what 1992, it was tough rooting for a quarterback coming in from another team. This is exciting times for the Jets.   

The Jets have had “renters” stigma attached to them ever since moving out of Shea. They were “renting their livable space” at Giants Stadium, and then they “rented” Brett Favre for a year, they “rented” Parcells’ services for a quick few years.

Even though NYJ owns half of Metlife Stadium, it’s still not a stadium of their own. We didn’t need a 3 year rental of Kirk Cousins. We needed a long-term answer at qb.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, The Crusher said:

Good question. Not sure. I’m kinda digging this move by Macc. Prolly end in disaster but before today it would be 100% yes. 

I was not hot for Cousins.  I am not hot for anything this year, sadly.  Bowles is still going to be here.

I was totally on Cousins but stated I would not go full depression if we didn't get him. I love the move up to 3, it's time for the Jets to get another QB & this is the year to take that chance. We're still a work in progress, Brady & BB are still in Gillette which means not giving up NEXT YEARS number 1 was huge! We also still have about 40 million to spend to fill some more holes. I'm not that hot on what's left in free agency & I think the Jets will wait to see if their are any more surprise cuts after the draft. 

Archived