Will giants take Barkley?

kevinc855

Went st party’s day drinking with a lot of giants fan today and we were together when trade happened. Seems like the fan base wants Barkley over qb? This fan base Is so loyal to Eli and feels he has some more time left with Davis Webb learning the ropes. Feel Barkley gives Eli the best chance to start winning now. It’s great if that happens since then we get rosen most likely, but wonder what the giants front office is thinking 

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the Giants dont take rosen they are stupid.

They won’t. They will either pick Barkley or trade out. Trading out still doesn’t help us, but I think the chance for Barkley is higher. Browns will go ahead and take their QB at #1 so we don’t have the option of picking from a crop of QB’s that include their personal favorite.

Giants hopefully do the smart thing which is actually the most beneficial to us, imo. They take Barkley who gives Eli the best chance to win now and they take advantage of a Guard heavy draft and take someone like Will Hernandez at the top of the second. They turn their focus to QB or a different need at the top of the third round. Lauletta, Mike White, ect.

Jets pick next and they take Josh Rosen.

You have to just hope they go Barkley. Trade down with the Bills would be disgustingly disappointing.

If the Giants don't want a QB and aren't bothered about Barkley, they would be daft not to go to Broncos with a trade deal. They'd then almost certainly get their favourite player at 5 (Nelson, Chubb, Minkah), and get a boatload for it. The more I think of it, the more I think the Broncos are the real danger in trade terms. 

I do increasingly feel though that teams must be confident that either Browns or Giants are taking Barkley in top 2; otherwise I think Colts would have waited and seen if he fell to them. 

By the way, if the Giants do trade or take a QB, this draft has fell as perfect as any draft has for the Browns. Will take a franchise QB and RB in the first round. 

well this doesn't make me sleep well

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/giants-in-perfect-spot-to-pounce-following-blockbuster-jets-deal/

The Giants have always had, shall we say, a complicated relationship with the Jets. The two franchises are business partners when it comes to sharing MetLife Stadium and very much adversaries in everything else — especially when it comes to turning on-field success into New York/New Jersey market dominance. Given what the Jets pulled off Saturday, though, perhaps these two “friendly’’ rivals could engage in trade talks mutually beneficial to both sides.

By moving up from No. 6 to No. 3 in the 2018 NFL Draft in a blockbuster deal with the Colts, the Jets are making loud and clear their intentions to find and select their next franchise quarterback. If the Browns, as widely expected, take Sam Darnold with the first-overall pick, the Jets are assured of getting whoever they like best among Josh Rosen, Josh Allen or even Baker Mayfield — as long as the Giants at No. 2 do not take him.

The Colts, who held the No. 3 pick, have Andrew Luck and did not need a quarterback. The Jets can sit tight at No. 3 — as long some other team does not trade with the Giants to get up to No. 2 to land a quarterback. If the Giants are taking a quarterback, they are staying put at No. 2 and taking him.

Here is where Giants general manager Dave Gettleman can have some fun. If he wants to make the Jets believe he is open for business on a trade-down, he should rent out three billboards outside East Rutherford, N.J., advertising that intention. If the Jets take the bait, perhaps they will be inclined to make a trade with the Giants, moving up one spot, to get to No. 2 to ensure they get their guy.

What would that take? Well, according to the NFL Draft Value Chart, an unofficial guide assigning points to every pick, moving up from No. 3 to No. 2 should cost 582 points — the equivalent of a high second-round pick. The problem is the Jets sent their two second-round picks in this draft and their 2019 second-round pick to the Colts in order to move up three spots. Any deal would likely have to be the pick for a player. Perhaps the Giants look at Darron Lee, a speedy linebacker, as a good fit in their new defense and accept the 2016 first-round pick as compensation for swapping draft spots with the Jets.

SEE ALSO

image.gif

Another possible trade twist involves the Bills, who are leapfrogging in the first round, seemingly trying to get as high as possible to get a quarterback. They moved from No. 21 to No. 12 in a trade with the Bengals, but the 12th-overall pick is not high enough to land one of the top quarterback prospects. If the Giants are not taking a quarterback, they could work a deal with the Bills — if Gettleman is content to drop out of the top 10.

To drop from No. 2 to No. 12, the Giants should get 1,400 points of value. That could be accomplished if the Bills send their second first-round pick (22nd overall, worth 780 points) and their two second-round picks (53rd overall, worth 370 points, and 56th overall, worth 340 points) to the Giants. That adds up to 1,490 points and represents fair value. The Bills most likely would stipulate one of the second-round picks would be in 2019.

The Jets moving up could also make the Broncos anxious, as they sit at No. 5 and are eyeing quarterbacks. If they want to swap with the Giants and rise up three slots it would cost 900 value points. That adds up to the Broncos giving up the No. 5-overall pick, their second-round pick (40th overall, 500 points), their third-round pick (71st overall, 235 points) and their fourth-round pick (106th overall, 82 points). Or it could add up to a second-round pick this year and next year.

So would Gettleman pull the lever on such a deal? He would give up the chance to take a generational running back (Saquon Barkley), a formidable pass rusher (Bradley Chubb) or a perennial Pro Bowl guard (Quenton Nelson) for a draft pick haul possibly to set up the franchise for years. The Giants would own two picks in the first round of this draft, two picks in the second round and the Bills’ second-round pick next year, enough to stockpile at several positions.

Gettleman and the Giants are sitting pretty, and no doubt their phone lines are open.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every talking head I've heard says Giants must go, and will go, QB.  Regardless of Eli.

I believe them.

You can find a good RB anywhere in the draft.  

No so with QB's.

Hear this statement every draft and amazed at how many teams whiff. Don’t know if Giants will go QB or Running Back my best guess is 60-40 QB. To me that makes Macs move a positive one.

It makes sense they would take a Qb. And they won't have to trade up to get one of the two top guys. Plus Eli has about a year left. The rookie can sit on the bench as backup and maybe get some playing time. Unless the Giants think that Davis Webb can be their starter. It's possible Barkley falls to the Colts at 6 with our pick. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every talking head I've heard says Giants must go, and will go, QB.  Regardless of Eli.

I believe them.

No so with QB's.

The Giants are in a win-now mode, and are trying to get 2-4 more years of Eli. Getting Barkley or Nelson makes the most sense in that case, if not then a development guy like Allen.

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

I think they do, if not; Allen, or Darnold. They won't take the pro-ready option in Rosen if they want 2-4 more years of Eli.

Ha they are not going to pass on Rosen just because he is more ready. It wouldn’t hurt him to sit a yr regardless if he is ready or not. Rodgers was ready well before they put him in. If Eli is not playing well, fans will be screaming for Rosen. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It makes sense they would take a Qb. And they won't have to trade up to get one of the two top guys. Plus Eli has about a year left. The rookie can sit on the bench as backup and maybe get some playing time. Unless the Giants think that Davis Webb can be their starter. It's possible Barkley falls to the Colts at 6 with our pick. 

Barkley isn’t failing that far. Browns would grab him at 4. 

22 minutes ago, sciond said:

well this doesn't make me sleep well

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/giants-in-perfect-spot-to-pounce-following-blockbuster-jets-deal/

The Giants have always had, shall we say, a complicated relationship with the Jets. The two franchises are business partners when it comes to sharing MetLife Stadium and very much adversaries in everything else — especially when it comes to turning on-field success into New York/New Jersey market dominance. Given what the Jets pulled off Saturday, though, perhaps these two “friendly’’ rivals could engage in trade talks mutually beneficial to both sides.

By moving up from No. 6 to No. 3 in the 2018 NFL Draft in a blockbuster deal with the Colts, the Jets are making loud and clear their intentions to find and select their next franchise quarterback. If the Browns, as widely expected, take Sam Darnold with the first-overall pick, the Jets are assured of getting whoever they like best among Josh Rosen, Josh Allen or even Baker Mayfield — as long as the Giants at No. 2 do not take him.

The Colts, who held the No. 3 pick, have Andrew Luck and did not need a quarterback. The Jets can sit tight at No. 3 — as long some other team does not trade with the Giants to get up to No. 2 to land a quarterback. If the Giants are taking a quarterback, they are staying put at No. 2 and taking him.

Here is where Giants general manager Dave Gettleman can have some fun. If he wants to make the Jets believe he is open for business on a trade-down, he should rent out three billboards outside East Rutherford, N.J., advertising that intention. If the Jets take the bait, perhaps they will be inclined to make a trade with the Giants, moving up one spot, to get to No. 2 to ensure they get their guy.

What would that take? Well, according to the NFL Draft Value Chart, an unofficial guide assigning points to every pick, moving up from No. 3 to No. 2 should cost 582 points — the equivalent of a high second-round pick. The problem is the Jets sent their two second-round picks in this draft and their 2019 second-round pick to the Colts in order to move up three spots. Any deal would likely have to be the pick for a player. Perhaps the Giants look at Darron Lee, a speedy linebacker, as a good fit in their new defense and accept the 2016 first-round pick as compensation for swapping draft spots with the Jets.

SEE ALSO

image.gif

Another possible trade twist involves the Bills, who are leapfrogging in the first round, seemingly trying to get as high as possible to get a quarterback. They moved from No. 21 to No. 12 in a trade with the Bengals, but the 12th-overall pick is not high enough to land one of the top quarterback prospects. If the Giants are not taking a quarterback, they could work a deal with the Bills — if Gettleman is content to drop out of the top 10.

To drop from No. 2 to No. 12, the Giants should get 1,400 points of value. That could be accomplished if the Bills send their second first-round pick (22nd overall, worth 780 points) and their two second-round picks (53rd overall, worth 370 points, and 56th overall, worth 340 points) to the Giants. That adds up to 1,490 points and represents fair value. The Bills most likely would stipulate one of the second-round picks would be in 2019.

The Jets moving up could also make the Broncos anxious, as they sit at No. 5 and are eyeing quarterbacks. If they want to swap with the Giants and rise up three slots it would cost 900 value points. That adds up to the Broncos giving up the No. 5-overall pick, their second-round pick (40th overall, 500 points), their third-round pick (71st overall, 235 points) and their fourth-round pick (106th overall, 82 points). Or it could add up to a second-round pick this year and next year.

So would Gettleman pull the lever on such a deal? He would give up the chance to take a generational running back (Saquon Barkley), a formidable pass rusher (Bradley Chubb) or a perennial Pro Bowl guard (Quenton Nelson) for a draft pick haul possibly to set up the franchise for years. The Giants would own two picks in the first round of this draft, two picks in the second round and the Bills’ second-round pick next year, enough to stockpile at several positions.

Gettleman and the Giants are sitting pretty, and no doubt their phone lines are open.

I'd be very surprised if the Giants would accept a trade deal of less value than ours - we "overpaid" (according to the draft value chart) by about 600 points. I'd suspect Giants would be wanting considerably more than that off the Bills to drop so far. 

But that's not the only insane thing in there; the idea that Gentleman should take billboards is insane, or that the Giants would accept Darron Lee to move down a spot. 

You can forget the Giants picking Nelson. They would have traded with us and then easily got Nelson at 6. Everyone saying Giants will get a huge haul now from the Bills if that was the case the Colts would have traded with the Bills instead of us.

Just now, Jetsbb said:

You can forget the Giants picking Nelson. They would have traded with us and then easily got Nelson at 6. Everyone saying Giants will get a huge haul now from the Bills if that was the case the Colts would have traded with the Bills instead of us.

there saying it now because the only way the bills can secure a top QB is by jumping us  going up too #2.. the bills did try to trade up too #3.. the colts didn't want to fall outside the top 10. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe them.

No so with QB's.

Don’t buy this after seeing how Ezekiel Elliot impacted a team 

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Irrelevant. QBs are going 1–2 no matter who owns the pick.

Doesn't that depend on there being folks with motive and ammo the Giants want? The Colts did the deal with us because they liked the move back to Six. The Broncos sitting at 5 with strong motive to leap us is material, no? No one else in the top 10 picks needs a qb...

4 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Doesn't that depend on there being folks with motive and ammo the Giants want? The Colts did the deal with us because they liked the move back to Six. The Broncos sitting at 5 with strong motive to leap us is material, no? No one else in the top 10 picks needs a qb...

Some qb crazed fans can’t see that Barkley is a once every 10-15 yr rb. He can do it all. He is closest thing to a sure thing as you can get. While rest of us hope these qbs will make it in nfl. They made some big moves in offseason. Picking a qb at 2 won’t help them next yr. picking Barkley definitely would be huge. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Some qb crazed fans can’t see that Barkley is a once every 10-15 yr rb. He can do it all. He is closest thing to a sure thing as you can get. While rest of us hope these qbs will make it in nfl. They made some big moves in offseason. Picking a qb at 2 won’t help them next yr. picking Barkley definitely would be huge. 

Hoping against hope the Giants feel that way. Saquon is special and I can imagine how tempting having him, OBJ and Eli on field together must be for them...

Many on this site like to pretend Macc is stupid but he's not.

The only way he gives up that much to move up is if he is 100% ok with any combination of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield.

I was thinking Mayfield earlier but the more articles I read the more I see how high many experts are on Allen.  It might just be that Macc would be equally happy with Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.

Despite all the Allen hate he could be gone before we pick.  and he could turn into Big Ben part deux on the Giants which would suck.

3 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Hoping against hope the Giants feel that way. Saquon is special and I can imagine how tempting having him, OBJ and Eli on field together must be for them...

If I were giants. I’d either take Barkley and put best team on field with Eli next 2 yrs or take Rosen/darnold and trade Eli while he still has some value. Little too late now for that option now.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Many on this site like to pretend Macc is stupid but he's not.

The only way he gives up that much to move up is if he is 100% ok with any combination of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, or Mayfield.

I was thinking Mayfield earlier but the more articles I read the more I see how high many experts are on Allen.  It might just be that Macc would be equally happy with Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.

Despite all the Allen hate he could be gone before we pick.  and he could turn into Big Ben part deux which would suck.

Then he could have stayed at 6. 

Archived