Will giants take Barkley?

kevinc855

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Exactly my opinion on the Jets moves this offseason, especially the trade to #3.

They no longer have a Super Bowl QB on their roster.  They have a popular, aging veteran on his last legs, and had nothing to legitimately replace him with last year.  Make no mistake, the title-chasing part of Eli's career is almost assuredly over.  With or without a #2 pick spent on his future replacement.

Maybe we should take him then, instead of selecting Josh Allen at #3.

Eli as a SB QB led his O's to 17 and 19 pts to win those SBs.  he was a SB QB because his defense was GREAT.  Just for comparison, Nick Foles led his O to 41 pts in his lone SB, Eli led his O's to 36 points combined.  if Foles led his O's to 17 & 19 pts he would have lost 33-17 and 33-19, his teams would have been killed.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If they do, and even if it works out for them, I still think based on everything they know now, it's the wrong move. It's so, so hard to win a SB. You've got to give yourself the best shot possible when you have a SB QB on your roster. Manning has never had a weapon like Barkley -- he can turn any screen pass, toss sweep, throw to the flat, and wheel route into a big play. And he may be the best kick returner in a generation.

Warfish,   It's clear you think the Giants will take a QB and that the Jets should not have traded up 3 spots because none of the QBs are a sure enough bet to warrant the cost of moving up a few spots. If you were the Giants, would you pick a QB?

**** this phone!

Then he could have stayed at 6. 

This is completely untrue and almost certainly not the case.

Cleveland, Giants are taking QB’s. Buffalo was getting ready to trade up with Indy. Denver is taking a QB. That’s 4 QB’s gone by the 5th pick.

Now, this might not have happened. Although it was very likely.

Mac could NOT take that chance. It was QB or bust. If Buffalo wasn’t stacked and clearly trying to move up - you might have been able to wait it out or get it cheaper. But they were.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Another angle is what does their two times HOF QB think of them taking a QB at 2? - He may throw a hissie fit and demand to be traded (Jags?).

Gettleman may want Barkley to keep Eli going for the next few years? Grab a Mason Rudolph or Kyle Laudetta in round 2. Either way the rookie in NY will be sitting for a least a year. Barkley is instant impact.

Eli is a class dude. He’ll handle it the same way Kurt Warner handled it when Eli was drafted to take his job, and the same way Peyton handled it when the Colts cut him.

5 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why wouldn’t they just take darnold at 1, and Barkley at 4? Especially if the giants are trading their 2nd pick, or taking Rosen themselves. Jets aren’t taking Barkley and they know it.

Well since the title of the thread is will the Giants take Barkley and all along everyone has been saying the Browns want him taking Barkley #1 negates anything the Giants do. It also assures the Browns getting one of Rosen,Darnold, or Mayfield. Also where is it written in stone that the Giants are trading their pick? Even if the Giants do trade it in this scenario it means nothing. A QB will still be taken second no matter who is making the pick.                                                                                                      For all those that want the Jets to trade up even further I say eff that. You will get one of Rosen Darnold or Mayfield at 3 no matter who is making the pick in front of you. Getting paranoid and panicking is not the way to go. Mocks are usually bullsh*t but a lot of them have Rosen falling to 6 and Mayfield falling as well. Unless they have their hearts set on one guy I see no need to pay more in terms of picks or players to move up one spot.                 Unless of course it only costs Little Darron Lee then I say what the hell? Addition by subtraction if you ask me.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eli is a class dude. He’ll handle it the same way Kurt Warner handled it when Eli was drafted to take his job, and the same way Peyton handled it when the Colts cut him.

Peyton went onto play elsewhere and win a Super Bowl, will Eli move on or retire a NY Giant. 

Some qb crazed fans can’t see that Barkley is a once every 10-15 yr rb. He can do it all. He is closest thing to a sure thing as you can get. While rest of us hope these qbs will make it in nfl. They made some big moves in offseason. Picking a qb at 2 won’t help them next yr. picking Barkley definitely would be huge. 
Who cares. RBs are a throw away pick. The difference between the best and worst rb is marginal, it's mostly the online that makes a rb productive.

Smart teams don't look at RBs until round 3

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The giants will be 100% moronic fools not to draft a QB.  Eli manning is 37 and already looked like he is failing last year.  How many times do you find yourself in a top two pick spot without having to trade up with some franchise looking qbs there for you.

The jets have been sh*tacular for years and can't even manage to get unto the top 1 or 2.

The giants can wait for two years until eli is gone and then have to trade the farm to go get up and get their next qb, if they can do it at all.

The browns will take QB, the giants will take QB.  We just have to pray that one of them takes Josh Allen (which is unlikely).

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Giants and all their fans keep hyping up Davis Webb. They really think he can play. I think/really hope the board falls as

1.)Darnold - Browns

2.)Barkley - Giants 

3.)Rosen - Jets

Webb is so great that the immortal Geno leapfrogged him on the depth chart and they are about to draft a qb

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The giants will be 100% moronic fools not to draft a QB.  Eli manning is 37 and already looked like he is failing last year.  How many times do you find yourself in a top two pick spot without having to trade up with some franchise looking qbs there for you.

The jets have been sh*tacular for years and can't even manage to get unto the top 1 or 2.

The giants can wait for two years until eli is gone and then have to trade the farm to go get up and get their next qb, if they can do it at all.

The browns will take QB, the giants will take QB.  We just have to pray that one of them takes Josh Allen (which is unlikely).

Gettleman isn’t stupid he’s drafting a qb though I wouldn’t be shocked if he took Allen over Rosen.

17 hours ago, Pac said:

meanwhile the bills were being lauded as geniuses for trying to chinese checker there way to the top 3 to get him.

Can someone explain to me WHY this is not potentially a Top NFL QB?

I’ve been watching football a long time too.  Yes, I know about the completion % being 4 points “too low”.  Watch the video and you’ll understand why Buffalo feels the way it does.  

Logic dictates that the Jets are going to take Mayfield, even if there is a choice between Mayfield, Rosen and Allen (say if the NYG take Barkley, Rosen is out of it due to his political views), but I worry about Mayfield’s size and the fact that our GM always goes it the cheap way with a patchwork Oline.

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Logic dictates that the Jets are going to take Mayfield,

No way we moved up for a guy we would've had at #6. Cimini, and insider Mooglez reported that Mayfield is 4th on our list.

Also, if we signed Isiah Crowell, Rosen's political views wouldn't at all interfere with drafting him.

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

No way we moved up for a guy we would've had at #6. Cimini, and insider Mooglez reported that Mayfield is 4th on our list.

Also, if we signed Isiah Crowell, Rosen's political views wouldn't at all interfere with drafting him.

Josh Allen won’t be there at 6.

I guarantee you that ALL 4 QBs are gone after the 5th pick is made...4 QBs plus Barkley.

Personally I think logic dictates that Mayfield will be picked by the Jets, even if Rosen is still on the board (he won’t be, he’ll be a Giant, the Crowell thing is different, Rosen was wearing a F**k the Prez hat, and the Jet owner is a huge supporter.  He was given his Ambassador’s job by him).

i just really worry about Mayfield and the height issue playing in the Northeast, outside...Drew Brees likes playing in a dome.

You also neglected to answer whether Josh Allen looks like a potential top QB when watching that footage.  That’s no Hackenberg, Hackenberg is a statue, this kid Allen is 10x the athlete Hackenberg is, with a stronger arm.

I think Rosen is the surest thing out of the 4, and all 4 could be potential busts (Rosen has the injury history).  I even have a problem with Darnold and his mechanics, along with not liking USC QBs, but Cleveland is sure to pick him at 1.

27 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Why is Cleveland absolutely picking Darnold ? Don’t think anything is a guaranteed. People are assuming that because of the Rosen story, which Rosen shot down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody knows anything. 

It’s gonna go Barkley, Chubb, Darnold and then nobody will know how to feel. Heard it here first. 

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Why is Cleveland absolutely picking Darnold ? Don’t think anything is a guaranteed. People are assuming that because of the Rosen story, which Rosen shot down

Agreed.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cleveland took Josh Allen 1st overall.

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Barkley and OB idiot on the same offense is kinda scary

Yup.  Add Sheppard and Engram to that equation and thats a pretty dam good offense.  That buys Eli time too.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Nobody knows anything. 

It’s gonna go Barkley, Chubb, Darnold and then nobody will know how to feel. Heard it here first. 

I'm questioning why people still have Chubb that high (Top 5) after a pedestrian/non elite-best mode type combine. 

4 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

The Solder signing screams win now. Think they go Barkley

I hope you're right.  The Giants haven't really done much to bolster their RB group, have they?  Stewart from Carolina?  That's a hold-the-fort guy at best.

Do the Giants currently have one of the worst RB depth charts in the NFL?

Do they have a decent QB depth chart with Eli and Webb?

Maybe those are the questions that lead us to the answer.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe the Colts think the same thing, that's why they want him at 6 instead of 3.

If I were to mock draft today, that seems like the right pick.  Just to quickly think it through....1 to Clev no way, 2 to NYG no way, 3 to Jets no way, 4 to Clev no way (Garrett last year) 5 to Denver no way....there you go

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I'm questioning why people still have Chubb that high (Top 5) after a pedestrian/non elite-best mode type combine. 

Because what he did on the field is 1000000000000000 times more important than the combine. 

The combine is mostly bullsh*t. 

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

Don't forget we have what's necessary to get the Browns to give up the #1 overall if that's what it takes to get Rosen-  the #3 pick. 

If the Giants are set on Rosen and we must jump them and do so when the Browns are on the clock the Giants would have 10 minutes to find a partner or take Barkley as a consolation.   The Browns would still get Darnold and at a cheaper price and pick up a bunch of picks in the process. 

If the Jets are in love with Rosen and fear the Giants, they must go straight up to the #1 pick. And I think they will do it on draft day about 60 seconds into the proceedings.   Remember, this is New York and this is a Giants town, the Jets can't be upstaged and lose the guy they want to their co-tenants.  If Woody wants Rosen we are the only team that can pry the #1 from the Browns.

SAR I

Agree but too soon to know if Rosen is the chosen one. Allen’s pro day could affect sentiment in many draft rooms, ours included.

Archived