Will giants take Barkley?

kevinc855

7 hours ago, King P said:

His film >>> combine performance

Tape don't lie

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Because what he did on the field is 1000000000000000 times more important than the combine. 

The combine is mostly bullsh*t. 

That's a cool opinion a majority of NFL teams tend not to share for the top 5-6 in the draft. But 6 to Colts still makes sense. Just wouldn't be surprised if he goes a little farther back like 9-15.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland will take a QB at 1.  Apparently Darnold is the favorite....The Giants are going to take Rosen....this is a deep draft at RB, the Giants aren't a RB away from winning a damn thing.  the 2019 QB class is pure garbage.  It's simply too easy and too valuable to take the next franchise QB while you absolutely know you can.  The only trade they would be willing to make out of 2, would be with the Jets to swap in case the Jets get antsy about the Bills trading into 2 (and that is who it would be)  ....that would be a bluff by the Giants...they don't want out of two.  

Now, here is how I see it for the Jets at 3.  They moved up there with the idea that Darnold and Rosen would in fact be gone, knowing that they'd have Allen, Mayfield etc.  That has to be for Mayfield.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but if you were the GM and coach of this team, do you have the time it is supposedly going to take to develop Allen?  Everyone saying he'll need work in practice, in the film room bla bla bla to be ready....or do you take the guy who had a BILLION reps in his long college career where he is a well proven high pct thrower, with a thirst for the spot light, hiesman, a name people know...he's a charachter....everything about that to me (not being from New York) seems like you'd want....again, for a coach and GM who probably aren't exactly secure in their jobs long term at this point....I'd want the guy with the billion reps, ready to go day 1.  

Denver isn't a threat to trade up.  Paying starter money to Keenum..they ALSO have a coaching staff that has basically been told they have THIS year to win....they aren't drafting a guy, let alone trading up for one, and turning him over to that coaching staff.  They will stay at 5 and take Ellis.

Arizona would like to move up....don't have much ammo.

Bufallo would love to move up...but if they really did..the Jets just call the Giants and say, what do you want to move to 2? if needed.  .....so here it is.  Darnold to Browns. Rosen to Giants.  Mayfield to Jets.

On 3/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, Grandy said:

I think they do, if not; Allen, or Darnold. They won't take the pro-ready option in Rosen if they want 2-4 more years of Eli.

I know you are 100% in on Rosen. My vote is still out. But are you concerned with his concussions? Scares me that he could get another and just decide to retire. 

On 3/18/2018 at 5:13 AM, Bruce Harper said:

I can’t imagine that they won’t take a QB. How often do you pick second in a draft with strong QBs? And Eli has not exactly been lighting the world on fire lately.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

BUUUUUT if you give Eli another great weapon, like Barkley, That would go a long ways into making the Giants winners again.

10 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

BUUUUUT if you give Eli another great weapon, like Barkley, That would go a long ways into making the Giants winners again.

Then when he retires in two years you are potentially stuck without a franchise QB for a long time and are playing guys like Dave Brown and Danny Kanell and Kent Graham.  IMHO, you can't pass up a guy like Rosen under the assumption that you  will be able to get another guy to take Eli's place in a year or two in the mid or late first round.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Then when he retires in two years you are potentially stuck without a franchise QB for a long time and are playing guys like Dave Brown and Danny Kanell and Kent Graham.  IMHO, you can't pass up a guy like Rosen under the assumption that you  will be able to get another guy to take Eli's place in a year or two in the mid or late first round.

I fully understand your logic but I feel the Giants are in a "win now"mode and will take Barkley. Perhaps someone like Kyle Lauletta in the 2nd might be in their minds. One thing I know you and I can totally agree on..... It will seem like forever for the draft to start on April 19th. lol

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

That's a cool opinion a majority of NFL teams tend not to share for the top 5-6 in the draft. But 6 to Colts still makes sense. Just wouldn't be surprised if he goes a little farther back like 9-15.

I will bet you any amount of money you are comfortable with that he is off the board well before 9. There's basically no chance that he makes it past the Colts

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Cleveland will take a QB at 1.  Apparently Darnold is the favorite....The Giants are going to take Rosen....this is a deep draft at RB, the Giants aren't a RB away from winning a damn thing.  the 2019 QB class is pure garbage.  It's simply too easy and too valuable to take the next franchise QB while you absolutely know you can.  The only trade they would be willing to make out of 2, would be with the Jets to swap in case the Jets get antsy about the Bills trading into 2 (and that is who it would be)  ....that would be a bluff by the Giants...they don't want out of two.  

Now, here is how I see it for the Jets at 3.  They moved up there with the idea that Darnold and Rosen would in fact be gone, knowing that they'd have Allen, Mayfield etc.  That has to be for Mayfield.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but if you were the GM and coach of this team, do you have the time it is supposedly going to take to develop Allen?  Everyone saying he'll need work in practice, in the film room bla bla bla to be ready....or do you take the guy who had a BILLION reps in his long college career where he is a well proven high pct thrower, with a thirst for the spot light, hiesman, a name people know...he's a charachter....everything about that to me (not being from New York) seems like you'd want....again, for a coach and GM who probably aren't exactly secure in their jobs long term at this point....I'd want the guy with the billion reps, ready to go day 1.  

Denver isn't a threat to trade up.  Paying starter money to Keenum..they ALSO have a coaching staff that has basically been told they have THIS year to win....they aren't drafting a guy, let alone trading up for one, and turning him over to that coaching staff.  They will stay at 5 and take Ellis.

Arizona would like to move up....don't have much ammo.

Bufallo would love to move up...but if they really did..the Jets just call the Giants and say, what do you want to move to 2? if needed.  .....so here it is.  Darnold to Browns. Rosen to Giants.  Mayfield to Jets.

People need to stop discounting RBs so much. If Barkley is anything like Zeek, Fournette that one piece could absolutely make the difference between winning & not winning.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Call me crazy but I think Gettleman will disregard the fact Nelson is a Gaurd and take him.

I think the underlying thought is he's gonna try and, win now. When you go through the most logical thought process of a new GM with an enormous ego like Gettleman, with a Franchise QB that has 2-3 possible years left, decent weapons and D (a team with about as good a foundation of a 2-14 that you'll ever find)....adding to that the Solder signing...I would be all in on betting it's gonna be Barkley (1a) with an outside shot of Nelson (1b)....I will literally be shocked if it's a QB despite what anyone says. JMO

On 3/17/2018 at 5:52 PM, kevinc855 said:

Went st party’s day drinking with a lot of giants fan today and we were together when trade happened. Seems like the fan base wants Barkley over qb? This fan base Is so loyal to Eli and feels he has some more time left with Davis Webb learning the ropes. Feel Barkley gives Eli the best chance to start winning now. It’s great if that happens since then we get rosen most likely, but wonder what the giants front office is thinking 

Some fans said it, it must be true.

No, they're taking a QB.  Only the Jets would be dumb enough to be staring a possible franchise QB in the face and skip for a Running Back.

Eli is the past, he may be a small part of the present, he is not the Giants future.  

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I think the underlying thought is he's gonna try and, win now. When you go through the most logical thought process of a new GM with an enormous ego like Gettleman, with a Franchise QB that has 2-3 possible years left, decent weapons and D (a team with about as good a foundation of a 2-14 that you'll ever find)....adding to that the Solder signing...I would be all in on betting it's gonna be Barkley (1a) with an outside shot of Nelson (1b)....I will literally be shocked if it's a QB despite what anyone says. JMO

Agreed. Does he really want to get rid of Eli in his first year as GM or even take a QB at 2, sit him, and make everyone uncomfortable for the next 2 years?

What does scare me is him believing he can set himself up well in the future and taking that Bills haul. Other things factor in though...does he want to move to 12? Does he want to miss out on a blue chip prospect? I know him and Beane(Bills GM) worked together in CAR but I don’t see it happening and I also don’t see the Bills actually moving the more and more I read about their situation.

Beane is a first time ever GM in his first draft ever. He said he moved up from 22 to 12 so he could also have a shot at a few top 10-15 guys(non-QB’s) that wouldn’t have dropped to his original pick. Now there is of course still a chance that he does pull a trade off...but if he wouldn’t outbid us for the #3 pick why would he pay the price for an even more expensive pick? Could be that he wanted to wait, regardless..or it means he is leaning towards just spending his draft capital and surrounding AJ McCarron and say a 2nd round rookie with talent.

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Maybe he takes him at 5 lol

Broncos don’t really have the ammo. You have to understand, when the Jets traded with the Colts, they overpriced the market. According to the value chart(I understand it’s outdated), they overpaid by 600- some points. So the #2 pick’s price drove up as the #3 pick was sold for more than expected. Elway doesn’t strike me as someone who is trading up either. His comments were “We signed Keenum to give ourselves flexibility in the draft.” I think they feel like they got a competent guy and now have the luxury to accept whoever falls to them. If it isn’t a QB. They can take a non-QB prospect and grab a rookie in a later round.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed. Does he really want to get rid of Eli in his first year as GM or even take a QB at 2, sit him, and make everyone uncomfortable for the next 2 years?

What does scare me is him believing he can set himself up well in the future and taking that Bills haul. Other things factor in though...does he want to move to 12? Does he want to miss out on a blue chip prospect? I know him and Beane(Bills GM) worked together in CAR but I don’t see it happening and I also don’t see the Bills actually moving the more and more I read about their situation.

Beane is a first time ever GM in his first draft ever. He said he moved up from 22 to 12 so he could also have a shot at a few top 10-15 guys(non-QB’s) that wouldn’t have dropped to his original pick. Now there is of course still a chance that he does pull a trade off...but if he wouldn’t outbid us for the #3 pick why would he pay the price for an even more expensive pick? Could be that he wanted to wait, regardless..or it means he is leaning towards just spending his draft capital and surrounding AJ McCarron and say a 2nd round rookie with talent.

I could  see maybe Denver leap frogging to 2 (to get in front of the Jets) and Gettleman being happy at 5 with the extra picks and taking someone like Nelson. 

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I could  see maybe Denver leap frogging to 2 (to get in front of the Jets) and Gettleman being happy at 5 with the extra picks and taking someone like Nelson. 

Broncos don’t really have the ammo. You have to understand, when the Jets traded with the Colts, they overpriced the market. According to the value chart(I understand it’s outdated), they overpaid by 600- some points. So the #2 pick’s price drove up as the #3 pick was sold for more than expected. Elway doesn’t strike me as someone who is trading up either. His comments were “We signed Keenum to give ourselves flexibility in the draft.” I think they feel like they got a competent guy and now have the luxury to accept whoever falls to them. If it isn’t a QB. They can take a non-QB prospect and grab a rookie in a later round.

Meh. Gettleman, in several interviews, has repeated that, 1. He knows it’s a huge, rare thing to have a pick as high as 2 and that 2. He thinks he needs to land a HoF-level player at that spot. That doesn’t sound like a guy who’s taking a shot at Allen, nor does it sound like a guy who’s going to burn the 2 on a guard. It’ll either be the remainder of Rosen/Darnold, or it’ll be Barkley. If they get into the weeds on Barkley, they’re going to find out his yards after contact numbers are extremely ordinary, which may or may not be an issue for Gettleman who likes power football. Not only is Eli in steep decline at this point, but his contract is effectively up after next season. I don’t see how, in good conscience, they go out and saddles Shurmur with trying to drag Eli to another title in those two years when they have the option of locking up the QB spot for a decade or more right now. 

18 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I’ve seen and heard the rumor a couple times now that Buffalo is guns-blazing trying to get up to two or one, but the Browns aren’t willing to do it. In the event the Giants don’t want to go QB, you’d have to think they’d take a million picks off of Buffalo’s hands.

32 minutes ago, HessStation said:

If that is true, why not trade back and fleece a QB desperate team?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Meh. Gettleman, in several interviews, has repeated that, 1. He knows it’s a huge, rare thing to have a pick as high as 2 and that 2. He thinks he needs to land a HoF-level player at that spot. That doesn’t sound like a guy who’s taking a shot at Allen, nor does it sound like a guy who’s going to burn the 2 on a guard. It’ll either be the remainder of Rosen/Darnold, or it’ll be Barkley. If they get into the weeds on Barkley, they’re going to find out his yards after contact numbers are extremely ordinary, which may or may not be an issue for Gettleman who likes power football. Not only is Eli in steep decline at this point, but his contract is effectively up after next season. I don’t see how, in good conscience, they go out and saddles Shurmur with trying to drag Eli to another title in those two years when they have the option of locking up the QB spot for a decade or more right now. 

They are calling Nelson, Larry Allen. I understand Guard at 2 is a bit of a stretch of the imagination but I could really see it if they feel he is one of the only sure fire picks and potential “gold jackets” as Gettleguy mentioned.

Yep. The Bills scenario scares the life outta me..and he surely could use the picks given the fact that he only has 5...but does Beane pull it off in his first draft ever? Lots of pressure  but Quite possible. Lots of Bills fans are telling me that we shot our load too quickly and now we are going to pay for it. From Beanes comments it sounds like he will do his best to move up to 2...and if he can’t do it easy enough, he won’t push the issue because they like where they are.

Just now, Warfish said:

So many Jets fans are going to be sad soon.  I feel for you all, but being naive is a correctable problem.

We'll see. 

Either way, I won't be sad, regardless of what the Giants do. There are three different QBs I'd be very happy to have at #3. I want Rosen, but I could absolutely live with Mayfield. And to be honest, I'm sure I could talk myself into Allen, as well. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's as simple as whether or not they think Rosen is a legit FQB type option or not.  If they view him that way, they have to understand that you don't often get a chance to take a guy like that so you pull the trigger. If they are concerned about his injury history or give him just a 1st round grade maybe you take the RB and see if Eli can win another.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So many Jets fans are going to be sad soon.  I feel for you all, but being naive is a correctable problem.

Just looking at all possible scenarios through the information from each fan base that I have been reading on. Totally possible they trade down or take Rosen instead..it is what it is.

Naive wouldn’t be the word I’d use. More like informatively hopeful.

Just looking at all possible scenarios through the information from each fan base that I have been reading on. Totally possible they trade down or take Rosen instead..it is what it is.

Naive wouldn’t be the word I’d use. More like informatively hopeful.

My question is being naive about what? 

Archived