Loving Josh Rosen (merged)

Grandy

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Look, this is gonna come across as a bit of prospect masturbation/ unnecessary threadage, but hear me out--

Some of you might not be NCAA guys - thats cool, who has the time, right? - but let me tell you that this one is special. Unfortunately dropping back 45+ times a game catches up with you; injuries have really marred what was to be the best thing since a Manning. If you put your finger on the pulse of college football in 2015, it would tell you Josh Rosen, the freshman 18 year old at UCLA was all the rave. You just don't see kids at that age come in, start, and look that polished already

I'm not saying he hasn't developed bad habits, and needs a stiff coach to work on his decision making -- but that's what you can get at the NFL level. Coaching, and development. But you need the parts to put together a car, and the difference between Rosen and say a Trubisky, is a Corolla vs BMW m3.... 

Everything you hope to have under the hood already there. Just needs tuning. 

Watch this game tape vs Texas A&M (MOST EPIC COMEBACK) and consider how he looks vs when you're watching someone like Bryce Petty at Baylor, or even any 1 read shotgun QB

Such a shame both he, and Darnold will be off the board when the Jets pick at 3.

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That's fine Barkley will be there then

Oh man I really hope Macc doesn’t chase bad money with good money over drafting Mayfield or Allen if his gamble to get Rosen doesn’t pay off, and does the smart thing, and takes Barkley.

Rosen is Mike Glennon II. He is  immobile and stiff. Hes got a nice arm but so does Hackenberg. Don't see Rosen lasting long in the league.
What????? Hi have you even watched this guy play ??? He gas in incredibly natural delivery. It takes no effort.

He is also incredibly accurate

Reminds me or AR

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lot of better games than this one too. But I love this one. It’s a Rosen classic

I remember one game this year, the running game couldn’t get going and Rosen winded up throwing 40 completions for 60 attempts in one game on the come back win.

It was beautiful.

When people ask "why didn't he win more?" or "why couldn't he pull off more comebacks?", all they need to do is go back, watch the games, and realize that Rosen was basically asked to do this exact type of thing.  Every. Single. Week. 

That type of performance was needed just to keep them in games.  His college career has a scary resemblance to Matt Ryan's, a guy I compare Rosen heavily to.

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Rosen is Mike Glennon II. He is  immobile and stiff. Hes got a nice arm but so does Hackenberg. Don't see Rosen lasting long in the league.

Hackenberg does not have a nice arm. Being able to throw the football far doesnt mean you have a nice arm. Being able to throw an accurate football means you have a nice arm. Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell could both throw the football 70 to 80 yards down the field, both sucked in the NFL with Russell being one of the all-time bust's in NFL history. 

With that said though, im not sold on Rosen and that game against Texas A&M was a game that is thoroughly overhyped. You watch other Rosen games and you see that his lateral motion when trying to throw on the run is borderline terrible. You'll see that he's thrown quite a few dangerous balls into coverage etc. Watching other games will show how that A&M game was somewhat of an outlier. 

The thing about Rosen is this, if he has a clean pocket the guy could be dangerous. He's the best thrower in this draft from a mechanical standpoint. All of his throws look the exact same and his mechanics are sound. You can look at his game tape and his pro day and he throws the same. He has some anticipation as well along with using pump fakes to move defenders on the field (Texas A&M tape). With that said though, all of this this is really predicated on a clean pocket. When that pocket isnt clean that dude makes me nervous, same with Darnold and his fumble issues. 

When Rosen is flushed out of the pocket his accuracy goes out the window when compared to his accuracy within a clean pocket. That has to be taken into account. In that regard, I have to agree with your Mike Glennon assessment, but even Mike Glennon is a better accurate passer on the move than Rosen. Another thing I've noticed is that Rosen does get some balls batted at the LOS when throwing from the pocket. One thing you rarely seen from a guy like Baker Mayfield. Reason being is that Baker can create throwing lanes with his mobility. THAT is one of the reasons why im not at all concerned about his height and not being able to see past his linemen. NFL linemen dont suddenly grow 3,4,5 extra inches just because they're in the pros. The linemen in college are virtually the same height as the guys in the league, yet Mayfield always had/created throwing lanes and maintains accuracy when being flushed out of the pocket. 

If Rosen and Mayfield are both available it will be a tough decision. I think Rosen as a slight advantage when it comes to anticipation of his throws, but I think the overall better QB is Mayfield. I have to reluctantly say that I think a USC QB is also better than Rosen. It's not all about throws in the pocket, but your overall ability as a QB. Rosen would dominate if throwing behind the 2016 version of the Cowboys Oline, behind the Jets....im not so sure. 

Mayfield extends plays but always, and I mean always keeps his vision down the field and is a throw first QB and has great accuracy and trajectory while on the run. 

Mayfield. 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Look, this is gonna come across as a bit of prospect masturbation/ unnecessary threadage, but hear me out--

Some of you might not be NCAA guys - thats cool, who has the time, right? - but let me tell you that this one is special. Unfortunately dropping back 45+ times a game catches up with you; injuries have really marred what was to be the best thing since a Manning. If you put your finger on the pulse of college football in 2015, it would tell you Josh Rosen, the freshman 18 year old at UCLA was all the rave. You just don't see kids at that age come in, start, and look that polished already

I'm not saying he hasn't developed bad habits, and needs a stiff coach to work on his decision making -- but that's what you can get at the NFL level. Coaching, and development. But you need the parts to put together a car, and the difference between Rosen and say a Trubisky, is a Corolla vs BMW m3.... 

Watch this game tape vs Texas A&M (MOST EPIC COMEBACK) and consider how he looks vs when you're watching someone like Bryce Petty at Baylor, or even any 1 read shotgun QB

Agree with everything Paradis....but what if he’s gone when we pick?

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

You watch other Rosen games and you see that his lateral motion when trying to throw on the run is borderline terrible. You'll see that he's thrown quite a few dangerous balls into coverage etc. Watching other games will show how that A&M game was somewhat of an outlier. 

The thing about Rosen is this, if he has a clean pocket the guy could be dangerous. He's the best thrower in this draft from a mechanical standpoint. All of his throws look the exact same and his mechanics are sound. You can look at his game tape and his pro day and he throws the same. He has some anticipation as well along with using pump fakes to move defenders on the field (Texas A&M tape). With that said though, all of this this is really predicated on a clean pocket. When that pocket isnt clean that dude makes me nervous, same with Darnold and his fumble issues. 

When Rosen is flushed out of the pocket his accuracy goes out the window when compared to his accuracy within a clean pocket. That has to be taken into account. 

I think these are excellent points 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Can he stay on a field for 16 games?  That is my worry.  Pros are bigger, faster and meaner.

Rosen is not our guy. He's already missed half a season because of injury and he missed his bowl game his last college season. Do u think Brady would miss a playoff game because of an injury. He's been in warm California his whole life. How do you think he would do in the frozen meadowlands in the dead of winter? He'd be a fish out of water. He ain't tough enough for NYC. He's been injured in college - you think it would get any better in the pros? He would be broken like a twig. Please don't pick this guy!

9 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

Why? He will make more money than his father with his first NFL contract.

It will be a hell of a lot closer than you think. I live in a rural area and orthopedic surgeons make about 600k a year. His dad is a neurosurgeon in LA. If the guy spends a few days per week in the OR he's been making more money than a family can spend for 25 years or more. I think the point is that Josh Rosen is not hungry for money because he's set for life.

Johnny Manzeil had a similar dynamic. His grandfather is a millionaire from his days oil wildcatting. 

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Blake Bortles, Drew Brees, and Case Keenum are all immobile stiffs who, except for Bortles, are old and none of them could break 5.00 in the 40 right now. 

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That's fine Barkley will be there then

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Oh man I really hope Macc doesn’t chase bad money with good money over drafting Mayfield or Allen if his gamble to get Rosen doesn’t pay off, and does the smart thing, and takes Barkley.

And then what happens? They draft the best QB available in the third round? 

It's one thing if four QBs were gone and Barkley dropped to them at six, it's an entirely different thing trading up three spots for three second round picks for the third pick in the draft. You only make that move if you're extremely comfortable with three QBs. You can't make that trade and come away with a RB. That's insanity. It has to be a QB. If it's Allen or Mayfield, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Rosen is likely off the board by pick #3.

We should focus on Allan, Mayfield and Jackson.

That is who Macc will likely be picking from at #3.

Highly doubt Jackson is in play here at all . But that doesn’t fit the doom and gloom narrative well. So carry on 

9 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I’m trying not to get too excited about Rosen because there’s a very good chance we’ll be seeing a lot of him as a Giant. So might wanna start another thread like this on Mayfield or Allen. 

Baker tape gonna be impressive too ??‍♂️.. Allen is the only tape your gonna have dig a little deeper cause his team was real real bad.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Rosen is likely off the board by pick #3.

We should focus on Allan, Mayfield and Jackson.

That is who Macc will likely be picking from at #3.

I got to agree. The only reason why no one ever mocks Rosen at #1 is because of the thought that Rosen basically stated that he doesn't want to play in Cleveland. However, many folks had him mocked as the 2nd QB off the board, usually to the Giants. 

If the Browns are comfortable with all 3 QB's, including Rosen, then what could happen is the Browns GM draft Barkley #1 because having the 4th pick will guarantee any one of the top 3 QB's. But that means that the Browns are willing to draft Rosen, which I believe they could. 

That would work wonders for us. Or, given that I don't see a team like the Giants passing on a top QB to take Barkley when he's a RB and the RB depth is deep this year and its rare for the Giants to have a top 2 pick in a rich QB draft, this may force the Browns to pick a QB first just to get the pick of the litter if they truly believe that the Giants are going QB no matter what and everyone knows that the Jets are going QB for sure. Then they could simply pick up Barkley at the 4th spot. 

Either way, there's a high probability that the Giants will draft Rosen at #2 given that this is most likely Eli's last year. 

There are a few of you here from the old JI/Hampur draft forums.  The thread I started back in Rosen’s senior year in High School “Josh Rosen in 2018” still very much a possibility. 

I still think Mac tries to get to 2 and swap picks with the Giants.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

There are a few of you here from the old JI/Hampur draft forums.  The thread I started back in Rosen’s senior year in High School “Josh Rosen in 2018” still very much a possibility. 

I still think Mac tries to get to 2 and swap picks with the Giants.  

Probably the only trade the Giants would do with the Jets provided they're not interested in a QB there. They'd get to say they fleeced the Jets for a pick and still got their guy. 

Just now, slats said:

Probably the only trade the Giants would do with the Jets provided they're not interested in a QB there. They'd get to say they fleeced the Jets for a pick and still got their guy. 

I agree.  But the cost is going to be steep.  Would people good with giving up next years 1 to get Rosen?

I liked Hackenberg so I really have no say in who the Jets should pick. But Rosen has the quickest release I have seen since Marino. As a matter of fact idk any other QB ever who gets the ball out that fast. I am gonna be happy with any of the three. Skeptical- but happy if its Mayfield.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree.  But the cost is going to be steep.  Would people good with giving up next years 1 to get Rosen?

If that's the cost, I think I blink. Especially if, as I suspect, Mac likes another QB nearly as much (or perhaps more). 

1 minute ago, slats said:

If that's the cost, I think I blink. Especially if, as I suspect, Mac likes another QB nearly as much (or perhaps more). 

Agreed.  Mac has to have 3 guys he would be totally comfortable with taking that high.  Or, he has a very good idea Giants are going RB with the second pick. 

Archived