Loving Josh Rosen (merged)

Grandy

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's the most laughable is the idea that the Giants, with an aging QB and coming off a 2-win season, would take a guard at #2 with Rosen on the board.

It's beyond absurd.  The giants are taking Rosen unless the bills give up those 1st rounders this year and maybe their 1st next year as well.  I think the browns could wind up taking any of the 4 qbs though.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What's the most laughable is the idea that the Giants, with an aging QB and coming off a 2-win season, would take a guard at #2 with Rosen on the board.

If they wanted Nelson, they would have traded with the jets for #2 and still picked him at 6. 

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the league is way higher on this player than the internet is 

and why not ?

he's bigger, stronger, faster, cleaner (injuries) than both Mayfield and Rosen. 

it's probbaly going to go Darnold/Allen (or vice versa) Jets picking between Mayfield and Rosen. 

The first three are not criteria to pick a QB, injuries I agree. Accuracy, intelligence and leadership are critically important in making it as NFL QB. 

1 hour ago, Il Mostro said:

Height isn't the only issue. His being short is compounded by the way drops the ball down before release, potentially resulting in batted passes. He also has the knock of lacking the speed to escape tacklers at the NFL level.  The question is whether he is more Drew Brees or Doug Flutie at the pro level.   Mayfield and Allen are the biggest crapshoots at QB for entirely different reasons.  

Mayfield hasn't, to date, had any issues with batted passes. This could be due to the offense he operated in, but I imagine that we'll incorporate a similar scheme if he's the pick. Mayfield could be fool's gold, but I'd still take him before Allen but after Rosen and Darnold.

29 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Not convinced the gints are taking Saquon.  Feels like the Reggie Bush situation all over again.  And Reggie had a good career, but not to justify the position he was taken in.  Think they are taking a QB, and I think Allen will be off the board with one of those first two spots, either to the Browns at 1 (I think Dorsey might prefer him); to the Gints to develop behind Eli at 2, to the Broncos who trade up, or to the Bills who trade up.

I really do believe it will be Rosen or Mayfield, and my lean is Rosen.  Even if Saquon is there, you don't move up for a RB who is not a bonafide workhorse.  And you don't taking a freaking guard at 3.  My gut is Rosen is a Jet.  If perchance Darnold and Rosen are both looking at the Jets at 3 (which is possible if the Browns or Gints take Saquon and Allen), that will be unbelievable.  I still think he goes Rosen over Darnold.  Rosen's got the moxie (some people think it's arrogance) for the New York market.  Only thing that worries me is the concussion history.  Don't think Darnold wants any piece of NY.  

No way we're taking Saquon at #3 (at least I hope not!).  However, let me ask this: if Saquon were guaranteed to be as good as a young Ladanian Tomlinson, would you consider him then?  I still wouldn't but I'm wondering if others would.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Another option would be to trade the #2 pick to Buffalo for a king's ransom. 

Yeah, but it'd be stupid and unlike their franchise. Yes it's a different GM, but this is a team that - when they see the QB they want - they're the ones to pay anything to get him. I don't see them trying to get clever knowing they could still spend the next 5+ years unsuccessfully trying to replace Eli.

If you can get the top QB, and he's worth it talent-wise, you don't get cute with it. It's a decision for the next decade-plus, not just the next year or two or worry about biggest current needs for the 2018 season.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, but it'd be stupid and unlike their franchise. Yes it's a different GM, but this is a team that - when they see the QB they want - they're the ones to pay anything to get him. I don't see them trying to get clever knowing they could still spend the next 5+ years unsuccessfully trying to replace Eli.

If you can get the top QB, and he's worth it talent-wise, you don't get cute with it. It's a decision for the next decade-plus, not just the next year or two or worry about biggest current needs for the 2018 season.

I agree but from the stuff I hear/read, it sounds like the Giants might take Barkley.  

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree but from the stuff I hear/read, it sounds like the Giants might take Barkley.  

Yes, well whichever one. I'm not ranking the two personally; others know them far better than I.  More that I don't see them passing up on the best QB they can get their hands on (or more correctly, the guy they feel is the best QB they can get their hands on), rather than taking a chance on someone else later.

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Mayfield hasn't, to date, had any issues with batted passes. This could be due to the offense he operated in, but I imagine that we'll incorporate a similar scheme if he's the pick. Mayfield could be fool's gold, but I'd still take him before Allen but after Rosen and Darnold.

I have mayfield as my clear #3 also. For some reason I don’t think Mac and jets agree. I think they are worried the nyc nightlife ( or Miami ) will get him ha. It would be end of the franchise If mayfield went down the wild party route. They had too much of that in past to take a chance imo. Wouldn’t stop me but we know how timid they can be. I wonder if darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2, does Mac pick Allen or Barkley ?

I know most of you love Rosen - but there are a bunch of red flags that will come across as obvious when his career is over in 4 years...

• Multipe concussions (with a Brain Surgeon for a father)
  • Shoulder injury already
  • Mutlple stories about this being not a good kid - uncoachable.  Grown men he has to play with aren't going to take kindly to that type of person.
  • His attitude won't play with the NY media - this isn't a Mayfield feisty type, underdog type.  This is an arrogant, I know better than you type.  
  • Seems to be politically outspoken - not helpful in an NFL team enviourment.
  • Mixed reports about his arm strength.  I've read it's below average (have also heard it's strong) but just that there are questions about his arm stregnth is concerning.

I realize there are negatives with all of these QB's - and it seems Josh Rosen has a lot of qualities to like in a QB - but these type of Red Flags would take him off of my first round board.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I know most of you love Rosen - but there are a bunch of red flags that will come across as obvious when his career is over in 4 years...

• Multipe concussions (with a Brain Surgeon for a father)
  • Shoulder injury already
  • Mutlple stories about this being not a good kid - uncoachable.  Grown men he has to play with aren't going to take kindly to that type of person.
  • His attitude won't play with the NY media - this isn't a Mayfield feisty type, underdog type.  This is an arrogant, I know better than you type.  
  • Seems to be politically outspoken - not helpful in an NFL team enviourment.
  • Mixed reports about his arm strength.  I've read it's below average (have also heard it's strong) but just that there are questions about his arm stregnth is concerning.

I realize there are negatives with all of these QB's - and it seems Josh Rosen has a lot of qualities to like in a QB - but these type of Red Flags would take him off of my first round board.

All of the top 4 have issues.  As long as we end up with 1 of them I'm happy to roll the dice.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

All of the top 4 have issues.  As long as we end up with 1 of them I'm happy to roll the dice.

I don't disagree - So nice to know we're getting 1 one of them - and will have a choice between at least two of them...

But it's just that Rosen scares me - I just don't see him having a long career and we're not drafting this guy for 3 or 4 years...

I'll be excited for him once he's here but just sayin.

1 hour ago, Mackman55 said:

If I was the Giants I'd call Denver and see if I could trade back to 5. They could load up on picks and still pick either the QB that falls or Nelson since OL is still a huge need.

That’s a great idea! But isn’t Denver aging? Shouldn’t they hold onto as many picks as they can? 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No way we're taking Saquon at #3 (at least I hope not!).  However, let me ask this: if Saquon were guaranteed to be as good as a young Ladanian Tomlinson, would you consider him then?  I still wouldn't but I'm wondering if others would.

No, it's QB or bust

Look, this is gonna come across as a bit of prospect masturbation/ unnecessary threadage, but hear me out--

Some of you might not be NCAA guys - thats cool, who has the time, right? - but let me tell you that this one is special. Unfortunately dropping back 45+ times a game catches up with you; injuries have really marred what was to be the best thing since a Manning. If you put your finger on the pulse of college football in 2015, it would tell you Josh Rosen, the freshman 18 year old at UCLA was all the rave. You just don't see kids at that age come in, start, and look that polished already

I'm not saying he hasn't developed bad habits, and needs a stiff coach to work on his decision making -- but that's what you can get at the NFL level. Coaching, and development. But you need the parts to put together a car, and the difference between Rosen and say a Trubisky, is a Corolla vs BMW m3.... 

Everything you hope to have under the hood already there. Just needs tuning. 

Watch this game tape vs Texas A&M (MOST EPIC COMEBACK) and consider how he looks vs when you're watching someone like Bryce Petty at Baylor, or even any 1 read shotgun QB

He's impressive: a lot of accurate throws in tight windows.  

5:44 should have been a pick... terrible throw off his back foot that went right through the safety's hands. 

The fake spike was icing on the cake; I enjoyed that a lot.  I was not a big Rosen fan, I worry about his health and most of his throws seem like five-yard throws to me, but he had a nice game and has grown on me a bit.  

I still like Darnold the most.  

I've got no idea how this thing is going to play out but I feel much more comfortable @ 3 than I did @ 6. 

What’s missing from that video was the beat down Rosen was incurring from A&M. Every dude on that defensive line looked like Clyde Simmons that game. I remember watching it and thinking they should have pulled Rosen at the start of the third because it was inhumane to keep him in there. 

Also, the Jets interviewed Jordan Lasley at the Combine. 

I love that he has a comeback of this magnitude on his resume, you can’t teach someone how to lead your team through a deficit like that.

But of all his tape, I hate that this one has become his signature game to reference. His footwork is so much better later in the season, and without those miscues in the A&M secondary (missed tackles, missed picks, loose coverage vs Andrews) this game goes down as another loss. 

His other games have curious final scores, which beg the question: why didn’t he lead MORE amazing comebacks, you know, after week-1? 

That said, I’m a huge fan, and he’s my No.1, but this isn’t the game to showcase what he’s really capable of. 

58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Look, this is gonna come across as a bit of prospect masturbation/ unnecessary threadage, but hear me out--

Some of you might not be NCAA guys - thats cool, who has the time, right? - but let me tell you that this one is special. Unfortunately dropping back 45+ times a game catches up with you; injuries have really marred what was to be the best thing since a Manning. If you put your finger on the pulse of college football in 2015, it would tell you Josh Rosen, the freshman 18 year old at UCLA was all the rave. You just don't see kids at that age come in, start, and look that polished already

I'm not saying he hasn't developed bad habits, and needs a stiff coach to work on his decision making -- but that's what you can get at the NFL level. Coaching, and development. But you need the parts to put together a car, and the difference between Rosen and say a Trubisky, is a Corolla vs BMW m3.... 

Everything you hope to have under the hood already there. Just needs tuning. 

Watch this game tape vs Texas A&M (MOST EPIC COMEBACK) and consider how he looks vs when you're watching someone like Bryce Petty at Baylor, or even any 1 read shotgun QB

Why anyone who says all 3 are equal, or those who werent on board with tanking( going with petty ) to ensure 2nd pick (for free) is an A-hole.

Archived