Josh Allen

T0mShane

Josh Allen   

176 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on Josh Allen

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching some highlight film on Allen, he has a howizer arm, scrambles well keeping his eyes downfield. He was rarely set and throwing on the run, on his back foot with good accuracy and a lot of zip on the ball. He had good touch at times when needed. It didnt look like he had a very good O-line which makes him workable with the current Jet O- line. Stats aren’t that great but could be misleading numbers. Upon further review I believe this guy has good potential. Runs well for his size. I would be OK with the Jets picking him if he’s still there at 3. He may go before Rosen which IMHO is even better for the Jets.

The fact that it’s likely Allen or Rosen is okay with me.

That Darnold or Mayfield would be the consolation prize at #3 makes our position even better. 

1. Allen/Darnold

2. Rosen/Darnold

3. Allen/Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield 

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-jets-land-josh-rosen-after-trade-cardinals-move-up-for-qb/

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Jets land Josh Rosen after trade, Cardinals move up for QB

The quarterbacks fly off the board early after Gang Green's aggressive trade up with the Colts

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Jets significantly changed the entire dynamic of the top 10 in the 2018 NFL Draftlast Saturday after an aggressive trade up with the Colts that'll send non-quarterback prospects down the board. 

If Gang Green's front office hits on their signal-caller selections, everything will be alright in Florham Park. If not, the Jets will likely have to hit the reset button once again. But you've got to respect the boldness of GM Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles, who likely need a good season to keep their jobs.

Will another team jump them to get to No. 2? Will the Giants take a quarterback in that spot?

The 2018 NFL Draft order has been tweaked.  

CLE.png1. Cleveland Browns

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. At this point, it'll be surprising if this pick isn't Allen or Sam Darnold. I'm going with Allen because of the superior physical attributes and Darnold's turnover issue which won't exactly thrill GM John Dorsey who's traded for risk-averse quarterbacks Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor in his career. 

NYG.png2. New York Giants

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State. GM Dave Gettleman would be open to a trade down, but he's not taking less than what the Colts got to slide back three spots, and that compensation package ultimately doesn't come his way. He picks Barkley to take pressure off Eli Manning and Odell Beckham as well as to give his ground game an ultra-talented ball-carrier.

NYJ.png3. New York Jets (from Colts)

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA. The Jets get the most natural passer in the draft after their trade up. Rosen is as clean as they come from the technical side and can be very accurate. He does have a tendency to overextend plays and force the football.

ARI.png4. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade)

Sam Darnold, QB, USC. The Cardinals begin the Steve Wilks era with an aggressive move into the top 5 to pick Darnold, an immensely talented quarterback with some wrinkles that need to be ironed out. It wouldn't be the worst thing if he sits for his entire rookie year. 

DEN.png5. Denver Broncos

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma. The Broncos pair Mayfield with a quarterback who has a similar skill set in Case Keenum. There's no rush to get the former Oklahoma star on the field, and Keenum is the ideal mentor.

I could see the Giants possibly going with Barclay at # 2 with they’re new coaching staff and new found love for Eli. They may think Webb is a good #2 guy also. Then again the QB pool is seemingly ripe with talent and they may pick a QB. Sleeper may be the Brown’s picking Barclay if they think he might not be there at 4 and going with a QB at 4. Especially since they gave the Jets Crowell

On 3/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, Philc1 said:

For all the people killing Allen because of his completion percentage Jay cutler had a similar completion percentage playing with nobodies at vanderbilt

a part of completion percentage is the receiver actually catching the ball

or running the right route

Wyoming's Josh Allen's accuracy warns 'buyer beware' to Broncos ...

Jan 25, 2018 - While Allen is expected to be picked early in the draft and has a tremendously strong arm, inaccuracy has plagued his entire career ...

LOOK: Josh Allen shows off his accuracy - Mile High Report

Jan 25, 2018 - With the net just a few yards in front of him, Josh Allen completely whiffs not just the hole where the ball should go, but the entirety of the net around it.

Jordan Palmer: Josh Allen's accuracy issues overblown - 247Sports

Feb 20, 2018 - Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen has been working with former NFL quarterback Jordan Palmer in preparation for the 2018 NFL Draft.

Sounds too familiar ...

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

OMG! Jordan Palmer will save the day! He's done a great job with Hackenburg!

Many of Allen's misses occurred when he overstepped with his front foot—called over-striding—which throws off his balance and arm angle and causes the ball to sail. Allen showed up in Mobile, Alabama, for the Senior Bowl with a cleaner step and improved accuracy. Through three days of practices and capping it off with a strong showing in the game, Allen's stock went up.

Well considering how he's already making strides to improve his accuracy, and how overblown his accuracy issues are, I'd say he's in good shape. 

5 hours ago, jack48 said:

or running the right route

It’s just silly.  Allen was basically playing on Div II roster and people think the completion percentage was ENTIRELY his fault. How did Allen do when he played at the senior bowl with guys who actually are going to be in the NFL? Allen killed it

Walter's Football went in hard on Rosen.

"NFL coaches and owners are wary of the sort of things Rosen has discussed to the media, and his open views could hurt him. Scouts have told us that his teammates don't like him either, so that's a major strike against him. And for the cherry on top, even if his high school coach criticized him. Rosen was prolific in some big games last year, so that could push him into the top spot, but as Charlie Campbell reported, two NFL general managers have expressed major concern about Rosen. "

4 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

"NFL coaches and owners are wary of the sort of things Rosen has discussed to the media, and his open views could hurt him. Scouts have told us that his teammates don't like him either, so that's a major strike against him. And for the cherry on top, even if his high school coach criticized him. Rosen was prolific in some big games last year, so that could push him into the top spot, but as Charlie Campbell reported, two NFL general managers have expressed major concern about Rosen. "

Troubling if true, but I heard someone today (not sure who) refute that claim and said he heard the opposite. It's entirely possible that the teams that have expressed major concern are the teams that want him to fall. 

Screen-Shot-2017-01-16-at-5.29.50-PM.png

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Walter football alway post crap like this every year bout players . But for the first time im not sure its complete crap . I have heard some of the same things from guys that I respect the opinions about Rosen. 

Almost reminds me of that QB from the movie  “draft day” where none of his teammates want to his birthday party lol . Macc better check the tape again ?

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Mercenary QB coach: My innacurate student is fixed! 

*Mercenary QB coach collects fee*

This one guy: See!?!?? This number that's worked all century has been misleading all along! 

Posts quote about why Allen has accuracy issues from a mechanical issue and how it's fixed based off his play in the combine and senior bowl. Proceeds to ignore it. Like clockwork.

12 minutes ago, artemusclyde said:

Posts quote about why Allen has accuracy issues from a mechanical issue and how it's fixed based off his play in the combine and senior bowl. Proceeds to ignore it. Like clockwork.

Good thing for the Jets is that Hackenberg’s accuracy issues were mechanical and they’re almost fixed, I’m sure. 

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s just silly.  Allen was basically playing on Div II roster and people think the completion percentage was ENTIRELY his fault. How did Allen do when he played at the senior bowl with guys who actually are going to be in the NFL? Allen killed it

And most of his games were against division II type opponents. Why did he go like 9 for 19 against Hawaii? You can't blame his teammates for everything. There's always guys who are open (timing routes are always open unless the DB jumps the route) and against the non power 5 opponents he had time to sit in the pocket and find a receiver. You can't use one all star game to prove he's fixed. Even his expert fans say he's a project that will likely have to sit for a year to remedy his accuracy and timing issues.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect. Especially for a team that can afford to gamble on him. I just don't think the Jets can afford to gamble. I really hope the Giants pick Barkley. I'd much rather worry about my QB being a prick than if he can fix his accuracy and timing issues.

Walter football alway post crap like this every year bout players . But for the first time im not sure its complete crap . I have heard some of the same things from guys that I respect the opinions about Rosen.  Almost reminds me of that QB from the movie  “draft day” where none of his teammates want to his birthday party lol . Macc better check the tape again

While slightly disconcerting ... Rosen"s mechanics and football prowess make him hard to pass on ... Picking him would be completely understandable as he is clearly the best passer in this crop. Definitely tops my list. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I really do not watch much NCAA. He may be no good. But I am sure a lot of the negative Nellies here have never seen him play--or play much.  Football is not just a stat game.  A stat sheet cannot tell you most of what you need to know. Lots of college QBs have wonderful stats but could never go pro.  Years ago, 60% was phenomenal. But guys did not throw a third of their passes behind or five yards downfield. Arm strength is gold.  Health is gold.  Being hard to knock down is gold.  Being mobile is gold.  He claims a lot of the inaccuracy has been corrected once he got his footwork sorted.  Hack is still dealing with footwork.

I think Louis Riddick does a nice assessment of Josh Allen (at 1:26 of the video). He is in awe of his physical ability - compares him to Marino -- but is concerned about his accurracy -- a problem (in his opinion) which is very hard to fix.

I've watched some interviews with Allen. He's a nice kid. More laid back than fiery. He was only 5"10" when he was a sophomore in high school. I thought that was interesting. He's only been bigger than everyone for a short period of his life. the JEts need to spend a lot of time with him to determine if can handle the NY spotlight. It's not for everyone.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:35 PM, Untouchable said:

Let’s be real here, chances are pretty damn slim that either Darnold or Rosen will be available at #3.

So what do you do? Draft the 6’0 QB who comes from a gimmicky offense and has legit maturity questions...or take the 6’5 240 QB who comes equipped with a goddamn howitzer and 4.7 speed but has some accuracy and ball placement issues?

Like I said, all of these guys are gambles.

Might as well gamble on the one with the highest upside. And make no mistake, Josh Allen’s ceiling is a helluva lot higher than Baker Mayfield’s.

Unless he lacks an NFL arm, you always, always, always take the guy who can put the ball where he wants it over the guy who is 6'5, 240, has a goddamn howitzer, and can't put the ball where he wants it.

The list of college QBs with excellent tools and accuracy problems who flamed out in the NFL is extensive.  The list of those same guys who corrected their accuracy problems and had good NFL careers is basically nonexistent.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

for those that may not have watched this already

This made me want to see Hack's combine/pro day stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lWttgBjPo

"You usually don't get more accurate throwing the football going from college to the NFL" 

And yet here we are debating whether or not Allen will improve.

But I am curious how Allen's pro day goes. Because after watching Hack's right here, he's hitting the dirt, throws flying over the WRs head.....Really hope Mac learned from that day. 

1 hour ago, Jazy8ball said:

That is your opinion. Fortunately for the Jets it does not seem to be an opinion shared by people that evaluate quarterback talent for a living.  

Bullsh*tting to fill space between commercials isn't evaluating quarterback talent for a living. You don't have any idea what people who evaluate quarterback talent for a living think.

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Bullsh*tting to fill space between commercials isn't evaluating quarterback talent for a living. You don't have any idea what people who evaluate quarterback talent for a living think.

huh? I'm not saying these guys are better then nfl GM and scouts. But guys like McShay, Kiper and Mayock know a lot more about you and I about evaluating potential in a college quarterback. They seem to think Allen will be pretty good. I trust them more then the casual fan. I am not saying you are the casual fan, you could work in the nfl and know more that anyone for all i know. 

Archived