Josh Allen

T0mShane

Josh Allen   

176 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on Josh Allen

34 minutes ago, Jazy8ball said:

Hahaha..

First, i'm not arguing. I am having a discussion about drafting a QB. I seriously doubt that you or anyone else on this page put more time into critiquing football players then the guys I mentioned. I realize they make mistakes, everyone does.. If you think you are more qualified then the "peanut gallery" lets hear your resume.. 

Pal, you don't want to see my resume... But I would urge to consider your audience. Yes, there are many hip shooters here who fly blindly with the winds -- but there's also a core group here who slave over this stuff. You could easily take McShay or Kipper's mocks/big boards and pit them against a handful of JN draft junkies -- and 2 years later, those junkies will win 3/4 of those comparisons.

I hate to pop your bubble, but those dudes are paid to be on TV, sell ratings and sell internet clicks. They're not slaving over film. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Pal, you don't want to see my resume. I don't recognize your name or your face - so you can do your own homework on my legacy... But I would urge to consider your audience. Yes, there are many hip shooters here who fly blindly with the winds -- but there's also a core group here who slave over this stuff. You could easily take McShay or Kipper's mocks/big boards and pit them against a handful of JN draft junkies -- and 2 years later, those junkies will win 3/4 of those comparisons.

I hate to pop your bubble, but those dudes are paid to be on TV, sell ratings and sell internet clicks. They're not slaving over film. 

You're very confrontational. I think you may be misinterpreting my replies. I am not trying to insult you, question your knowledge or anything like that. I just enjoy the discussion and like hearing all the opinions. I just happen to think some of the ani Allen reasons are just crap (not yours, in general.) I have not looked at all the opinions of the "core group" who slave over this stuff but i would be very interested in their evaluations of Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield.. 

2 minutes ago, Jazy8ball said:

You're very confrontational. I think you may be misinterpreting my replies. I am not trying to insult you, question your knowledge or anything like that. I just enjoy the discussion and like hearing all the opinions. I just happen to think some of the ani Allen reasons are just crap (not yours, in general.) I have not looked at all the opinions of the "core group" who slave over this stuff but i would be very interested in their evaluations of Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield.. 

i understand. I'm stuck in dickmode until the draft when I either blow my brains out, or blow my pants off... lol, i really really hope it's the latter. I can't go through another cycle of this. I've been a crusty b*tch since I heard Chad Penny call out the name "Christian Hackenberg" 

32 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Pal, you don't want to see my resume... But I would urge to consider your audience. Yes, there are many hip shooters here who fly blindly with the winds -- but there's also a core group here who slave over this stuff. You could easily take McShay or Kipper's mocks/big boards and pit them against a handful of JN draft junkies -- and 2 years later, those junkies will win 3/4 of those comparisons.

Remember that one time I pick more first round matches than the experts? Can you BELIEVE no teams called despite that? 

Every draft pick even if you’re #1 needs some sort of development, but it should never be a player as raw as Josh Allen to be taken #3. Too high of a pick for a project. Yes, he probably the most naturally gifted quarterback ever. But the physical measurables are only half the job. Its not about just throwing the ball. You gotta complete passes. You gotta lead a team, coordinate an offense on the field.

Look if we draft him, I’ll root for the kid until he fails. But i think the pick if Darnold and Rosen are gone, is Mayfield > Allen.

The funny thing is, if Mayfield is 1 inch taller. Hes the first or second pick without any batting an eye.

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think Louis Riddick does a nice assessment of Josh Allen (at 1:26 of the video). He is in awe of his physical ability - compares him to Marino -- but is concerned about his accurracy -- a problem (in his opinion) which is very hard to fix.

I've watched some interviews with Allen. He's a nice kid. More laid back than fiery. He was only 5"10" when he was a sophomore in high school. I thought that was interesting. He's only been bigger than everyone for a short period of his life. the JEts need to spend a lot of time with him to determine if can handle the NY spotlight. It's not for everyone.

He is huge. I saw him run a 40.  The track looked too small for him.

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Every draft pick even if you’re #1 needs some sort of development, but it should never be a player as raw as Josh Allen to be taken #3. Too high of a pick for a project. Yes, he probably the most naturally gifted quarterback ever. But the physical measurables are only half the job. Its not about just throwing the ball. You gotta complete passes. You gotta lead a team, coordinate an offense on the field.

Look if we draft him, I’ll root for the kid until he fails. But i think the pick if Darnold and Rosen are gone, is Mayfield > Allen.

The funny thing is, if Mayfield is 1 inch taller. Hes the first or second pick without any batting an eye.

This is absolute insanity. Height does matter when evaluating a QB, and it is one of the main reasons you put Mayfield behind Darnold and Rosen, but c'mon he is over 6 feet tall at 6' 5/8". That is 2 inches taller than Russell Wilson who measured 5"10 5/8" at his combine and it is within an 1.5 inches of Arron Rodgers who measured 6'2" at his combine. 

I am beyond frustrated with people who question whether Mayfield can play QB because of his height.

59 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This is absolute insanity. Height does matter when evaluating a QB, and it is one of the main reasons you put Mayfield behind Darnold and Rosen, but c'mon he is over 6 feet tall at 6' 5/8". That is 2 inches taller than Russell Wilson who measured 5"10 5/8" at his combine and it is within an 1.5 inches of Arron Rodgers who measured 6'2" at his combine. 

I am beyond frustrated with people who question whether Mayfield can play QB because of his height.

I think you’re confusing what I was saying. I would love if we drafted Mayfield. I’m not saying I wish he were an inch taller. I could care less.

I’m saying that if he were taller, whoever picking first or second would take him. They’re stuck in their ways, that I don’t agree with.

Are you comfortable with Cam Newton as your franchise quarterback? Because Josh Allen’s skill set and flaws are similar.

Cam has only eclipsed 60% completion % one time in his career. The guy makes some amazing throws and runs, while also missing badly on many throws.

But, Carolina doesn’t seem to mind. So is that the type of quarterback you want? Me personally, I want Rosen.

53 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Are you comfortable with Cam Newton as your franchise quarterback? Because Josh Allen’s skill set and flaws are similar.

Cam has only eclipsed 60% completion % one time in his career. The guy makes some amazing throws and runs, while also missing badly on many throws.

But, Carolina doesn’t seem to mind. So is that the type of quarterback you want? Me personally, I want Rosen.

Honestly, everyone has bashed Allen so much I don’t know what to think anymore. I have doubts about Cali kids that have played in perfect weather all their lives. Will the pro days of Allen and Darnold be on tv?

1 minute ago, Jazy8ball said:

Honestly, everyone has bashed Allen so much I don’t know what to think anymore. I have doubts about Cali kids that have played in perfect weather all their lives. Will the pro days of Allen and Darnold be on tv?

Just watch the games on YouTube and make your own mind up about what you see.  The Hackenberg to Allen comparisons are unjust. Allen has true big time potential but I still like Darnold and Rosen better. 

11 hours ago, Pcola said:

And I am not convinced we have the right coaching and system in place for Allen to be successful.  

Bates, for all his smarts, is light in the experience department and what little experience he does have calling plays, was a very long time ago.

I think Allen might do well in Cle with Todd Haley’s offense. Where ever he goes, the organization and fans will need a ton of patience.  Does that sound like the Jets?  Specially after waiting for two years of being patient with Hack?

Worst case for Allen and Jets is Mac is blinded by hack private workout - tape shows reality = Allen and Hack will never make it in the NFL

2 hours ago, Persiussa said:

Just watch the games on YouTube and make your own mind up about what you see.  The Hackenberg to Allen comparisons are unjust. Allen has true big time potential but I still like Darnold and Rosen better. 

He looks just like Hack to me ;)

20 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It would be insanity to trade up for a project QB like Allen. I’d rather have drafted BAP at #6, then taken Lamar Jackson in the 2nd, if we intended to take a project. 

Errrrr that would be great if we had a 2nd round pick Saul. lol

10 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He looks just like Hack to me ;)

If you haven't seen this PFF article on Hack (pre-draft) it's worth a read.  You realize how we may have severely overdrafted him and that signals were there that he was a bust even despite his good freshman year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

I can't find a similar article on Allen yet, but based on what I've read, he is nowhere near this level of bad.  And much of what I've read/seen is that he tends to go for the big throw over the safer pass, which is something that could change more easily than, say, this tidbit about Hack:

I have never seen a quarterback consistently miss as many wide receiver screens as Hackenberg. Receiver screens are supposed to be high-percentage plays. In college, the average receiver screen pass is only off-target on 4.75 percent of attempts. In the NFL that figure becomes 3.45 percent, and the worst mark any QB has posted over the past three seasons is Chad Henne, at 8.47 percent. Last season, Hackenberg was off-target on 15.8 percent of his receiver screen passes — around five times more inaccurate than the average NFL QB.

or this one:

Temple regularly showed six rushers before the snap, came with all of them, and Hackenberg was surprised by the free rusher despite only having five men in the protection. Some might want to cut him a break for the free rusher the offense couldn’t pick up, but it’s his job to understand that it is coming from the pre-snap read and be prepared to get rid of the ball quickly.

I'm not trying to say Allen is the right pick at 3, but I think comparisons to Hack are way off.  There was a reason we got him in the 2nd round, and more and more it looks like that reason was that Macc is an idiot.

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If Allen turns into Cam Newton, I'd be thrilled to have him.  But I don't think he will.  

And for sake of comparison, Newton was 66.1% completion rate at Auburn, against the SEC.  He's 58.5% in NFL.  If Allen drops his completion percentage by 8% in NFL, he's below 50%.  

From some Wyoming fan's...I said give me the truth on Allen! 

The accuracy "problem" has some truth and some lies.

Allen certainly struggled at times with the short to medium passes over the middle of the field but was pretty much money on the 5 and 10 yard outs outside the hashes. The production was down this year because he wasn't working with much of anything. Our WR's this year struggled to get separation from DB's. 2016 was a better reflection of what he can do with good talent.

The accuracy problems gets compounded because of Wyoming's offensive scheme. It's a very vertical passing game that doesn't run any screens or slants for the most part. Take this for example if he would have completed just 2 more passes per game this year his % goes from 56% to 64% and none of this talk is happening. Wyoming throws deep and often, in a more modern spread system Allen's completion percentage would have been much better with slants and screens and running back dump offs. 

I'd say look at the senior bowl and what happened when he had a line that protected him for a bit. He did not have that this year at Wyoming, nor did he have a run game to take pressure off of him. When he got injured, his backup (also a junior) got completely dominated by the worst team in the FBS (San Jose State). 

Most of the fans saying he's crap is the same old P5 crowd who will hack on any QB not coming out of a big program. They did it with the last NFL QB draftee Bohl and Vigen coached as well, and he's turned out quite alright. 

That said, if you don't have a line for Josh, and you don't have receivers who can handle bullets (he throws hard, he won't be successful.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

'm not trying to say Allen is the right pick at 3, but I think comparisons to Hack are way off.  There was a reason we got him in the 2nd round, and more and more it looks like that reason was that Macc is an idiot.

Allen is more mobile and physically athletic yes, which does make the Hack comp wrong. but the inconsistent and inaccuracy issues do make them more correct since that is the concern.

27 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Allen certainly struggled at times with the short to medium passes over the middle of the field but was pretty much money on the 5 and 10 yard outs outside the hashes. The production was down this year because he wasn't working with much of anything. Our WR's this year struggled to get separation from DB's. 2016 was a better reflection of what he can do with good talent.
uh, not really much better and if you adjust the stats there basically identical.

The accuracy problems gets compounded because of Wyoming's offensive scheme. It's a very vertical passing game that doesn't run any screens or slants for the most part. Take this for example if he would have completed just 2 more passes per game this year his % goes from 56% to 64% and none of this talk is happening. Wyoming throws deep and often, in a more modern spread system Allen's completion percentage would have been much better with slants and screens and running back dump offs. 
stat people love this argument, oh, if only..... well you know what it didn't happen, why should we believe it will.

I'd say look at the senior bowl and what happened when he had a line that protected him for a bit. He did not have that this year at Wyoming, nor did he have a run game to take pressure off of him. 

He is not going to a good team in the NFL, will be facing much stiffer competition and defensive schemes. 

Most of the fans saying he's crap is the same old P5 crowd who will hack on any QB not coming out of a big program. They did it with the last NFL QB draftee Bohl and Vigen coached as well, and he's turned out quite alright. 

Not true I was on board with Wentz... who is much better at playing QB than Allen when coming out

That said, if you don't have a line for Josh, and you don't have receivers who can handle bullets (he throws hard, he won't be successful.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7 51 8.5 8.5 0 0 138.1
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

2016 looks a lot like 2017, less games played but looks like the would have had almost identical seasons.

totally Hack"esque"

22 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

if my aunt had balls shed be my uncle 

people bring Brees, Wilson etc there's never been a QB that short drafted top 3 in the modern era 

even the exception to the rule were 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

2 hours ago, jpoppy717 said:

If Allen turns into Cam Newton, I'd be thrilled to have him.  But I don't think he will.  

And for sake of comparison, Newton was 66.1% completion rate at Auburn, against the SEC.  He's 58.5% in NFL.  If Allen drops his completion percentage by 8% in NFL, he's below 50%.   

As Jif points out Tebow completed 66% against the SEC too. These numbers don't mean as much as people think they do.

Allen is the biggest, strongest, tallest and until Lamar Jackson runs also the fastest.  He had a great bowl game, was the best QB at the senior bowl and the combine throwing portion. all his momentum is trending up. 

But completion percentage from Wyoming means more than all of that? Maybe to the fans but not the GMs. this is what's going to happen not what we want to happen: Allen might not even be there at 3 for everyone to panic over. 

the draft isn't all that complicated for the dum dums who make the pick. it's often a matter of "getting off the bus" first impression. If you knew nothing about these guys but a police lineup not even their names it would be Allen, Darnold on tier 1 Rosen, Jackson on tier 2 maybe and then Mayfield on tier 3, just eyeballing them up. Pure surface level athletic testing knowing nothing about their ability. Yes height matters. 

The draft is a funny thing with QB, it often comes down to who GMs can sell to ownership i.e. their bosses. 

and then they craft the underdog story with Mayfield wherever he goes and sell that story to fans. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if my aunt had balls shed be my uncle 

people bring Brees, Wilson etc there's never been a QB that short drafted top 3 in the modern era 

even the exception to the rule were 2nd and 3rd round picks. 

The conclusion here is that disqualifying a QB based on height is dumb. 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

As Jif points out Tebow completed 66% against the SEC too. These numbers don't mean as much as people think they do.

Allen is the biggest, strongest, tallest and until Lamar Jackson runs also the fastest.  He had a great bowl game, was the best QB at the senior bowl and the combine throwing portion. all his momentum is trending up. 

But completion percentage from Wyoming means more than all of that? Maybe to the fans but not the GMs. this is what's going to happen not what we want to happen: Allen might not even be there at 3 for everyone to panic over. 

I don't put any major stock into Combine.... yeah his bowl game againstCentral Michigan, which, yes he threw 3 nice TD passes, but Central Michigan is not the same quality team it was a year prior and their. 

Player School Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Josh Allen Wyoming 11 19 57.9 154 8.1 11.3 3 0 178.1

and watching his play. the kid is physically gifted, but his issues are not ones that teams can usually correct. its historically proven. more times than not you can't make a player more accurate and shift from a "see it open, throw it " QB to an "anticipatory, throw WRs open QB". 

I hope your right on the last bolded part because I don't see Allen being worth a top 3 pick.

40 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd say look at the senior bowl and what happened when he had a line that protected him for a bit. He did not have that this year at Wyoming, nor did he have a run game to take pressure off of him. When he got injured, his backup (also a junior) got completely dominated by the worst team in the FBS (San Jose State). 

There's a lot of truth in this. One of the draft guys said that Allen was inaccurate on one throw, the medium out and that it was easily fixable.

44 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I think I could digest this better if homey didnt have numerous Hack like throws where he misses a guy 10 yards away by a country mile. 

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

I don't put any major stock into Combine.... yeah his bowl game againstCentral Michigan, which, yes he threw 3 nice TD passes, but Central Michigan is not the same quality team it was a year prior and their. 

Player School Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Josh Allen Wyoming 11 19 57.9 154 8.1 11.3 3 0 178.1

and watching his play. the kid is physically gifted, but his issues are not ones that teams can usually correct. its historically proven. more times than not you can't make a player more accurate and shift from a "see it open, throw it " QB to an "anticipatory, throw WRs open QB". 

I hope your right on the last bolded part because I don't see Allen being worth a top 3 pick.

Josh Allen grew up in nowheresville California on a farm or whatever. He didn't move around finding the best coaches etc. He went to Juco, and then Wyoming. 

This draft season, senior Bowl etc was the first time a qualified coach advised Josh Allen the proper footwork.

Clearly he has work to do but he is doing the work and he has done nothing but get better. Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold it's not clear how much better these guys can get.

I hate to be a number's Ho (not really) but Josh Allen tested better than 82% of current NFL qb . Mayfield, Rosen were in the 40's and Darnold was in the 20% area. Allen won the combine and it wasn't just the 70 yard bomb. 

if Allen makes it to 3 it will be because the teams in front of the Jets made mistakes (or took Barkley the best RB for 25 years). 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Josh Allen grew up in nowheresville California on a farm or whatever. He didn't move around finding the best coaches etc. He went to Juco, and then Wyoming. 

This draft season, senior Bowl etc was the first time anyone really coached Josh Allen the proper footwork. Clearly he has work to do but he does the work and he gets better. Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold it's not clear how much better these guys can get.

I hate to be a number's Ho (not really) but Josh Allen tested better than 82% of current NFL qb . Mayfield, Rosen were in the 40's and Darnold was in the 20% area

if Allen makes it to 3 it will be because the teams in front of the Jets made mistakes (or took Barkley the best RB for 25 years). 

bit, don’t do this

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

bit, don’t do this

i feel it coming bro 

better lube up than go au natural.  

just to be clear I prefer Baker but they don't trade up to 3 for a guy who would be a coinflip to be there at 6

Also starting to like Barkley at 3 and hope Lauletta in rd 3 and be very ok with that.  

Just now, bitonti said:

This draft season, senior Bowl etc was the first time anyone really coached Josh Allen the proper footwork. Clearly he has work to do but he does the work and he gets better. Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold it's not clear how much better these guys can get.

I hate to be a number's Ho (not really) but Josh Allen tested better than 82% of current NFL qb . Mayfield, Rosen were in the 40's and Darnold was in the 20% area

• it is more unlikely than likely that you can get enough improved footwork built into his muscle memory to correct the issue that he says causes him to be inaccurate. Maybe he can, but I doubt it... i could be wrong. 
  • its not clear how much better allen can get either, most of his success and or projection is based on his god given physical abilities. its a little assigning to say that Allen does work and he gets better, but that the others do not and can't improve.
  • he did test well I agree.. too bad he doesn't look like the best qb in the game when he plays. if he did I would say we should draft him.
  • or they see the holes in his play at the most important position in the game.

Archived