Josh Allen

T0mShane

Josh Allen   

176 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on Josh Allen

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

And Geno had a 71% completion percentage in college

#measurables

3 yard passes to Austin, which Austin had a million YAC.  Smith was abhorrent at WVU. Allen can't even hit those as well as Geno.  

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Persiussa said:

Matthew Stafford had under 60% too. 

Whenever someone says “how many QB’s completed less than 60% of their throws in college and went on to be successful in the NFL” I can’t help but think, “I don’t know, probably around the same amount as the sub-6’2 QB’s who succeeded in the NFL”.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Brian Billick on his mistake selecting Kyle Boller:

For these three, the qualifiers were very specific. With Palmer, people were worried about his leadership ability. He did not seem to have a lot of the personal charisma that you normally associate with a quarterback. Although he was a bright and intelligent young man, you came out of the interview not real fired up about him as a leader. Such was not the case with the next two. Leftwich and Boller had energy and leadership ability in spades. The concerns with Leftwich were his previous injuries and lack of mobility in the pocket. For Boller it was his accuracy.

With Boller, we decided that the lack of quality receivers at Cal was a significant part of the reason for his lack of accuracy.

Eventually, we were able to secure the New England Patriots' first-round pick, the 19th overall, which we used to take Boller. Within a couple of years, we learned that Boller's inaccuracy was not solely a result of the poor receivers at Cal, but also Kyle's occasional nervousness in the pocket, which forced his fundamentals to falter at critical times, and has left him a sub-60 percent completion guy thus far in his career.

I literally started to sweat as I read this.  Sitting at #3 with the clock ticking down as the Jets look at a choice between Allen and Mayfield, I'm going to think of these words by Billick. 

Just now, Dcat said:

3 yard passes to Austin, which Austin had a million YAC.  Smith was abhorrent at WVU. Allen can't even hit those as well as Geno.  

AndMayfield didn’t throw a ton short passes at Oklahoma? Oh I forgot you never saw his games

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I literally started to sweat as I read this.  Sitting at #3 with the clock ticking down as the Jets look at a choice between Allen and Mayfield, I'm going to think of these words by Billick. 

it's a great read.  That was just a snippet.  Here's the link: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8286f0f3/article/how-to-draft-a-qb-part-4-the-kyle-boller-experience

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Whenever someone says “how many QB’s completed less than 60% of their throws in college and went on to be successful in the NFL” I can’t help but think, “I don’t know, probably around the same amount as the sub-6’2 QB’s who succeeded in the NFL”.

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees are all 6’2” or less.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

AndMayfield didn’t throw a ton short passes at Oklahoma? Oh I forgot you never saw his games

you are the one who threw Geno Smith out there.  And that was intended to further your argument.  Now that it is shot down, you divert to Mayfield also throwing more short passes.  Good.  The fact is that Allen misses a huge % of the short passes.  That's death for a QB in the NFL.  And what happens when Allen faces real NFL pass rushing pressure?  Unlike anything he experienced against  Cheyenne Community College adversaries, his accuracy may fall even further, just like Geno Smith and Kyle Boller.  At least big armed QBs like Roethlisberger had excellent completion percentages in college.  Not so with Allen. He is as much a risk as, if not moreso, Kyle Boller.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sub 6’2

As in 6’1 or less.

Sure, there’s Brees and Wilson...and who else?

Who are the other “keeper” 6’1 or shorter QB’s who have starred in the NFL post-Fran Tarkenton?

Mike Vick? Jeff Garcia? Doug Flutie?

Who wants to hitch their wagon to one of those guys for 10+ years?

Mayfield is just a c*nts hair over 6’0, played in a simplistic Oklahoma offense that employed essentially zero pro concepts, has proven that he can be a dumbass both on and off the field to the point where a NFL team hired a PI to follow him around this offseason...yet this fanbase wants to give their collective left nut for this kid while at the same time hating Josh Allen with the fury of a thousand suns?

Does not compute 

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

For all the people killing Allen because of his completion percentage Jay cutler had a similar completion percentage playing with nobodies at vanderbilt

a part of completion percentage is the receiver actually catching the ball

Better yet getting separation.

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

After Darnold and Rosen go one, two the jets are going to draft a slightly better version of christian hackenburg except instead of using the 51st pick in the draft we will be using the 3rd pick in the draft and tossing in three 2nd rounders to boot.

And throwing away that #51'st pick in Hackenberg too.  Without him ever playing a real snap in the NFL.

Don't forget that.

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

For all the people killing Allen because of his completion percentage Jay cutler had a similar completion percentage playing with nobodies at vanderbilt

a part of completion percentage is the receiver actually catching the ball

Ok lets assume that is entirely accurate, if given the chance today would you take Jay Cutler for the #6 and 3 2's? I wouldn't

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sub 6’2

As in 6’1 or less.

Who are the other “keeper” 6’1 or shorter QB’s who have starred in the NFL post-Fran Tarkenton?

Mayfield is just a c*nts hair over 6’0, played in a simplistic Oklahoma offense that employed essentially zero pro concepts, has proven that he can be a dumbass both on and off the field to the point where a NFL team hired a PI to follow him around this offseason...yet this fanbase wants to give their collective left nut for this kid while at the same time hating Josh Allen with the fury of a thousand suns?

Does not compute 

You're just in awe of Josh Allen's prototypical penis size, aren't you.  

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sub 6’2

As in 6’1 or less.

Does not compute 

Right, which is why both him and Allen aren't worthy of the #1 by any objective measure.

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And 5 years ago was better than any qb we ever had since Namath

I lost all respect for Cutler when he demanded a trade and wouldn't return the OWNERS phone calls after Denver drafted Tebow. Grow up already.  You're worried about Tim Tebow ? Crybaby.

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think in the HISTORY of the draft only one QB under 6'2" was ever drafted in the 1st round; that was Johnny Manziel and he was drafted 22nd overall.  Beyond that only a limited amount of QBs under that benchmark have found opportunity let alone success.  Drafting Mayfield at 3 would mean, he is the best sub 6'2' "prospect" EVER!!! I find it hard to believe that a GM would make such an unprecedented move after already trading up; that would be the ultimate double whammy.  Sell me on times have changed with regards to height and by "times" I mean suddenly this year it doesn't matter.  However, don't try to sell me on Mayfield breaking the mold and being that much more of a better short QB prospect than those in the past (e.g., Wilson, Brees, Daniels, Manziel...etc.). 

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sub 6’2

As in 6’1 or less.

Does not compute 

Dog, I just named three of the top five or six QBs in the league.

7 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sub 6’2

As in 6’1 or less.

Does not compute 

Isn't there always a first?  Perhaps Baker is that guy.

20 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Matthew Stafford had under 60% too for 2 out of 3 years. His senior season was 61.5%. 

Stafford showed significant improvement every year. Josh Allen didn't. And you can make a strong argument that Allen actually regressed year over year.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Dog, I just named three of the top five or six QBs in the league.

Since when is Aaron Rodgers 6’1 or shorter?

There were literally 3 starting QB’s in the NFL las year 6’1 or shorter. Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and Case Keenum.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn't count Rodgers or any other QB 6'2" QB as 6'2" has always been the line of demarcation.  Once you get below that line, it's dicey.

Allen is boom or bust 

He will sit next year if he comes here 

McCown and teddy will play then the jets decide between teddy and Allen for the next year 

What I am reading about Allen is he has a lot of hero in him and tries to do too much 

That's correctable 

He's probably my 4th choice but if the Jets draft him I will support him 

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

Stafford showed significant improvement every year. Josh Allen didn't. And you can make a strong argument that Allen actually regressed year over year.

If one attempted to make that argument, it would automatically signal they just looked at his stats and did not watch the games.  Despite what the stats may say, he was better last year than he was the year before.

32 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Can anyone share what he does well. Any good YouTube video breakdowns of why the team around him was at fault? Trying to learn a little more then just that he’s got one hell of an arm. 

Watch the highlight films, you'll see him at his best.  Strong arm, mobile, can throw on the run.  The negativity surrounds that he played in a weaker division and his completion percentage is not up to par with the others.  That being said, you can drive up anyone's completion percentage with dump off passes, or against inferior competition.  He was solid in the Senior bowl and looked really good in the combine as well.  He has the highest ceiling of any of the QB, but also the lowest floor. 

Allen FN!

1) Rosen, A baller with accuracy YES

2) Darnold, Makes plays good accuracy limited to only two year starting sophomore sump. YES

3) Mayfield, Baller with the best accuracy in collage 4 year player YES

4) Josh Allen Big arm poor accuracy = Kyle Boller NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Archived