176 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on Josh Allen

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Allen is boom or bust 

He will sit next year if he comes here 

McCown and teddy will play then the jets decide between teddy and Allen for the next year 

What I am reading about Allen is he has a lot of hero in him and tries to do too much 

That's correctable 

He's probably my 4th choice but if the Jets draft him I will support him 

He's tempered the hero ball this past year.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Allen is boom or bust 

McCown and teddy will play then the jets decide between teddy and Allen for the next year 

What I am reading about Allen is he has a lot of hero in him and tries to do too much 

That's correctable 

That's the key. I'll support whoever we draft like you . :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Allen is boom or bust 

That's correctable 

I don't expect any of the drafted QBs to play much next season.

6 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I think in the HISTORY of the draft only one QB under 6'2" was ever drafted in the 1st round; that was Johnny Manziel and he was drafted 22nd overall.  Beyond that only a limited amount of QBs under that benchmark have found opportunity let alone success.  Drafting Mayfield at 3 would mean, he is the best sub 6'2' "prospect" EVER!!! I find it hard to believe that a GM would make such an unprecedented move after already trading up; that would be the ultimate double whammy.  Sell me on times have changed with regards to height and by "times" I mean suddenly this year it doesn't matter.  However, don't try to sell me on Mayfield breaking the mold and being that much more of a better short QB prospect than those in the past (e.g., Wilson, Brees, Daniels, Manziel...etc.). 

But Brees and Wilson were excellent prospects, the only issue teams had drafting them was their height, or they would have been drafted top 5.  It's not like they came out of nowhere.

guys like Paxton lynch get overdrafted when it's clear their mechanics and accuracy are major issues, yet guys like mayfield come with height caveats that suggest they can't be drafted high.  Yet when Paxton lynch busts, the tag line is, well, elway swung and missed, but if someone misses on a shorter qb, it's grounds for dismissal.  

11 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I think in the HISTORY of the draft only one QB under 6'2" was ever drafted in the 1st round; that was Johnny Manziel and he was drafted 22nd overall.  Beyond that only a limited amount of QBs under that benchmark have found opportunity let alone success.  Drafting Mayfield at 3 would mean, he is the best sub 6'2' "prospect" EVER!!! I find it hard to believe that a GM would make such an unprecedented move after already trading up; that would be the ultimate double whammy.  Sell me on times have changed with regards to height and by "times" I mean suddenly this year it doesn't matter.  However, don't try to sell me on Mayfield breaking the mold and being that much more of a better short QB prospect than those in the past (e.g., Wilson, Brees, Daniels, Manziel...etc.). 

B

10 minutes ago, legler82 said:

B

10 minutes ago, legler82 said:

B

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Allen FN!

1) Rosen, A baller with accuracy YES

2) Darnold, Makes plays good accuracy limited to only two year starting sophomore sump. YES

3) Mayfield, Baller with the best accuracy in collage 4 year player YES

4) Josh Allen Big arm poor accuracy = Kyle Boller NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Allen looked better than Rosen, or Mayfield in the combine with Rosen pulling up the rear.  I hear Rosen was better in his pro day, but will admit I didn't see it.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah, and 6’2 has long been perceived as the “cut off” for QB’s.

There are plenty of 6’2 QB’s in the NFL...not too many 6’1 or shorter.

Also, not too many QBs named after a culinary profession.

This profile came out in December.  What's not to like?

Josh Allen   QB   Wyoming

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Josh has John Elway type talent. He has as strong an arm as John had and has that same type of swagger to his game and confidence in his athletic ability. Josh can throw the ball on a rope 70 yards down the field but also has the arm talent to throw all the touch passes needed to move the ball in any style of offense. He has the size, strength, quick feet and overall excellent athletic talent to extend plays out of the pocket and throw with accuracy on the run. He does a good job playing from the pocket standing tall in the face of pressure. The truth is that Josh has franchise quarterback potential. That means he has the arm talent to make both safeties play deep and that is what opens up a team’s running game. But there is one issue that will stop him from being a successful starting quarterback at the next level until he fixes it… and I have no doubt that he will.

CONCERNS
My biggest concern in profiling Josh is he plays dumb at inopportune times of games. He doesn’t throw the ball away, tries to do too much and loses site of down and distance situations. His production was down this year and the ability for him to impact against tough competition is questionable. Most of this was because he just wasn’t playing smart football. His accuracy stats are not where most teams would like to see them but that can attributed to two issues, lack of talent to throw to and the fact he throws a hard ball in some very cold weather situations. I’m not saying that he is not the smartest tool in the shed, but I am saying that under pressure and with a less that stellar support system that Josh does not play smart. His talent is franchise like but his play on the field at times can be more… backup quarterback like. There will be some growing pains to go through with selecting Josh but once he grows into the game the impact will be franchise novena.

BOTTOM LINE
Do you put the concerns aside and draft Josh Allen anyway? The truth is, when you look on film and watch him play I think you will see the similarity in his play to John Elway’s also. So… if you want to pass on selecting the next potential John Elway, be my guest. I can tell you for me personally, I wouldn’t pass on him. Josh’s size, athletic talent and overall arm talent is unique and although he has struggled this year he has way too much natural talent (similar to John Elway) to pass on him if a team is looking for a “potential” franchise quarterback. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and no doubt there may be a big learning curve with selecting Josh but… isn’t there a learning curve with every quarterback coming out in the draft and most of them don’t have near as much natural talent as Josh has. That’s the difference…“Natural Talent”. But that’s just me, “Talking to Myself™”. Get ready to move up in this draft if you want this kid because before it’s all said and done Josh could be selected as early as any quarterback has even been selected in a draft. In some countries trading 3 goats and a cow to a father for the privilege to marry one of his daughters is an acceptable practice. To trade up for this quarterback, I’d go to 5 goats and 2 cows because your fan base will fall in love with Josh forever making it a marriage made in football heaven. 

Drew Boylhart   DEC 2017

3 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Josh’s size, athletic talent and overall arm talent is unique and although he has struggled this year he has way too much natural talent (similar to John Elway) to pass on him if a team is looking for a “potential” franchise quarterback.

Hahahahahahahahaha

When the NCAA season started, and everyone was doing the suck for Sam dance, I strongly felt Allen, by far, was going to be the 1st pick in this draft.  Actually missed a lot of sleep watching his first 6 games this year.  Didn't go so well.  Started watching Mayfield at that point. 

Not sure what to expect out of Allen in the NFL.  If the Jets take him, I'll be holding my breath 

Accuracy of a QB can be due to many things; inconsistent technique, mental lapses, poor physical ability, weak receivers, throwing the ball away when OL can consistently block. I have not really watched  Josh Allen play this year, aside from whatever tape I could cobble together from youtube etc. In looking at his incompletions, many of them were receiver drops, forcing the ball to apparently overcome lack of receiver play making ability, and perhaps inconsistent footwork. His 56% completion rate is certainly not ideal but he looks like a completely differently player than Hack - Hack had many throws every game in college that were downright pitiful. Did not get the same feel with Allen. Just take a look at the career completion perception of three HOF QB's:

Montana - 52% https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-montana-1.html

Favre - 52.4% https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/brett-favre-1.html

Jim Kelly - 55.6% https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-kelly-2.html

Dan Marino - 57.6% https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

Am I missing something with this viewpoint if that % completion rate must be at 60% or a QB is doomed.? I feel pretty strongly that if he was playing at a spread offense in Oklahoma his #'s would be much higher

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

When the NCAA season started, and everyone was doing the suck for Sam dance, I strongly felt Allen, by far, was going to be the 1st pick in this draft.  Actually missed a lot of sleep watching his first 6 games this year.  Didn't go so well.  Started watching Mayfield at that point. 

Not sure what to expect out of Allen in the NFL.  If the Jets take him, I'll be holding my breath 

I did the same. I figured we’d have the first pick and all the draft dudes were hyping Allen so I watched as much as I could before I started having Hackenberg flashbacks 

1 minute ago, SBBound said:

Accuracy of a QB can be due to many things; inconsistent technique, mental lapses, poor physical ability, weak receivers, throwing the ball away when OL can consistently block. I have not really watched  Josh Allen play this year, aside from whatever tape I could cobble together from youtube etc. In looking at his incompletions, many of them were receiver drops, forcing the ball to apparently overcome lack of receiver play making ability, and perhaps inconsistent footwork. His 56% completion rate is certainly not ideal but he looks like a completely differently player than Hack - Hack had many throws every game in college that were downright pitiful. Did not get the same feel with Allen. Just take a look at the career completion perception of three HOF QB's:

Dan Marino - 57.6% https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dan-marino-1.html

Am I missing something with this viewpoint if that % completion rate must be at 60% or a QB is doomed.? I feel pretty strongly that if he was playing at a spread offense in Oklahoma his #'s would be much higher

Allen’s receivers had the lowest drop rate of the top four prospects.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

I am torn.  Everyone seems to hate the guy but it seems like a lot more pitchforks and torches than anything of actual substance.

It's 1 statistic. 

Many of the guys lambasting him have never seen him throw a pass.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Allen’s receivers had the lowest drop rate of the top four prospects.

You just cherry picked one minor point I made - yet completed disregarded the points about the HOF QB's and the fact that he played at ND with very poor talent at WR.

How many of his receivers will be in the NFL next year?

4 minutes ago, SBBound said:

Hell, Cam Newton’s NFL career completion average is 58.5%

Does Cam Newton suck?

If he wasn’t such a pompous puss I’d take him in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Hey list me the big 12 qbs from the last 15+ years who were actually good in the nfl

I’ll hang up and listen

Exactly. Not a good NFL QB hotbed. Most of the Big 12 QB's turn out to be system QB's who fail in the NFL.

Archived