THEORY: Jets are targeting Baker Mayfield

House Jet

It was 5:21am in NY when i wrote this. I couldnt sleep so i go to my usual routine of reading about the Jets until i pass out. Except this time was different. Ive had an epiphany. Jets fans quickly realized the trade to 3 happened after the Jets visited Rosens pro day. The Jets visited Mayfields pro day right before that. With the way things are looking, it seems the Browns will take Darnold. So if Darnold is taken, it only makes sense for the Jets to make this move if they're ok with taking at the very least the 3rd qb available (id assume thats Mayfield). I know the draft has a way of being completely unpredictable. However, my take is that Baker Mayfield is a lot higher on the Jets board than people think and i wouldnt be surprised if they choose him over Rosen. If we stay at 3 which is the most likely scenario, i believe Mac has Rosen and Mayfield rated equally. If the Giants decide to go qb the consensus is that they pick Rosen. It is for this reason i believe the Jets are targeting Mayfield and it seems pretty likely that theyll have a shot at their guy. Id hope Mac didnt give up 3 2nds for a CHANCE at Rosen. I think he knows without a doubt he can get Mayfield at 3. It seems like Mac has a plan and im excited. Sorry in advance that there is no article, but i dont think this is completely baseless. Let me know what you think. Also sorry for the wall of text if your on mobile. It was too early/late to format

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SMC said:

Macc, who likes tall QBs with strong arms did not move up to 3 to take a weak-armed midget QB.

This is all about getting a shot at either Darnold, Rosen or Allen.

Now that you said that Mayfield will be a Jet. So when it happens it's your fault.

There are some genuine concerns with Rosen. 

The concussions are the probably the biggest one. You can only have so many before you start looking at serious long-term consequences. The highly intelligent son of a surgeon probably has a strong grasp of the issue. 

The alleged unconventional personality. There seems to be some question out there about how Rosen's personality will translate to the NFL, especially as a leader. That he's more Philip Rivers in that respect than Peyton Manning. Picking this high, the player has to have his head right. 

Does he love the game? Kinda a combination of the top two here. If he has another concussion or two, how long does his career last? Is this his passion? Or is he just looking to cash in? Everyone has the right to just cash in if that's what they want to do, but is that a characteristic you want in your franchise QB? 

Mayfield, on the other hand, doesn't have the injury concerns and appears to be a charismatic leader who absolutely loves the game. But he is under 6'2". 

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

Macc, who likes tall QBs with strong arms did not move up to 3 to take a weak-armed midget QB.

Macc also seems to like QBs that suck. Maybe he might want to use the “ phone a friend” option here. 

18 minutes ago, SMC said:

Just cant get behind that notion. Mayfield worked for a starting spot walking on to two different teams and winning it. Hes a senior so hes played the most fball out of the top 4 qbs. If you look at his stats from freshmen year to senior he has similar attempts but his number got better in every category. The kid is a winner and whoever picks him is gonna have a fqb for 10 plus years

|
|
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2013 Texas Tech Big 12   QB 8 218 340 64.1 2315 6.8 6.3 12 9 127.7
*2015 Oklahoma Big 12 JR QB 13 269 395 68.1 3700 9.4 10.4 36 7 173.3
*2016 Oklahoma Big 12 JR QB 13 254 358 70.9 3965 11.1 12.3 40 8 196.4
*2017 Oklahoma Big 12 SR QB 14 285 404 70.5 4627 11.5 12.9 43 6 198.9
Career Overall         1026 1497 68.5 14607 9.8 10.6 131 30 175.4
  Texas Tech         218 340 64.1 2315 6.8 6.3 12 9 127.7
  Oklahoma         808 1157 69.8 12292 10.6 11.9 119 21 189.4

2 minutes ago, House Jet said:

My thought process was if the Jets weren't okay with mayfield then moving up to the third makes no sense. Unless they want allen but i dont think they do. He would have probably been there at 6 tbh

Allen seems the toughest one to peg where he’d go.

No one would be truly surprised if he went #1 and no one would be surprised if he fell to Denver at #5 (or if another team trades up to grab him there).

The only one of the 4 I think that’d be a shock to go #1 (knowing only what we know today) is Mayfield. 

53 minutes ago, SMC said:

I thought Baker had the second strongest arm behind Allen of the big 4?

If BigMac traded up this much for Baker Mayfield, I think it would be similar to the feeling of when you're doing one of those scratch offs, where you have to match numbers and you scratch of like a $2,000 and a $20 and then you're scratching of the next and it's like, there's a 2!!!!  Oh sh*t, there's a zero!!!! Oh sh*t, there is another zero!!!!!!!!!  ****!!!!!!!!!!!  It's only $200!!!!!!!!!! but you hit one of those, another free scratch off, so it didnt seem like a total waste of $5 bucks even though you missed on the 20 and the 2,000.

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

But he is under 6'2"... so are Brees, Wilson & Flutie.

Brees - played in SD, and then in a Dome

Wilson - about 5 times the athlete that Baker is, came from a pro style O

Flutie - god forbit this 3rd pic's upside is Doug Flutie

who else you got?

I don't think sitting and 6 and waiting to see who dropped while being prepared to move up depending on how it was going was such a bad position to be in.  Those 2 second rounders were going to go a long way in reshaping our team.  None the less, one of the top 3 ain't half bad for this franchise.  I just think it's a lot to pay for the 3rd choice when a premier player (not necessarily a QB) would have been there at 6.  

So bottom line I'm not crazy about the price we paid for the 3rd choice but I'm very excited to see how it all turns out. 

I would have said fk it if we got a non QB at 6.  Just sit McCown and let Teddy and Hack battle it out for the start.  Our top  3 picks would have been building a team anyway.     

If they traded up this early for mayfield or allen its a horrible decision.  It's pretty logical to say that the jets have a 3rd Qb they love enough at 3 but in my mind the gap between the top 2 and #3 is MASSIVE and not worth 3 2nd round picks.

I simply cannot see this GM picking Mayfield over Allen.  I'd have to see it happen to believe it.

I think the entire point of this move was to get high enough to get Allen, or possibly Rosen or Darnold if something crazy happened, and to AVOID being left holding the Mayfield bag.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Allen seems the toughest one to peg where he’d go.

No one would be truly surprised if he went #1 and no one would be surprised if he fell to Denver at #5 (or if another team trades up to grab him there).

The only one of the 4 I think that’d be a shock to go #1 (knowing only what we know today) is Mayfield. 

I agree.I could see the Browns taking him, the Giants taking him, the Jets taking him, the Broncos taking him

Just now, Beerfish said:

If they traded up this early for mayfield or allen its a horrible decision.  It's pretty logical to say that the jets have a 3rd Qb they love enough at 3 but in my mind the gap between the top 2 and #3 is MASSIVE and not worth 3 2nd round picks.

This is why somebody is going to be pissed at who they draft, no matter who it is. Nobody has any clue on who is going to be better than who. Nobody knows. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I simply cannot see this GM picking Mayfield over Allen.  I'd have to see it happen to believe it.

I think the entire point of this move was to get high enough to get Allen, or possibly Rosen or Darnold if something crazy happened, and to AVOID being left holding the Mayfield bag.

I wouldn't think so, but they keep seeing the guy. they went to his pro day they had an extensive interview than him

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is why somebody is going to be pissed at who they draft, no matter who it is. Nobody has any clue on who is going to be better than who. Nobody knows. 

About 50% of us knew for sure that Hackenburg was a big fat awful dud.  Don't sell us short here dude.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's just the question I keep asking - is why?  They seem to very much like Mayfield.  He's the better QB.  

They made the trade becaus there's a good possibility all 4 will be gone by 6. In fact, it's likely that's the case.  

Archived