Cardinals inquired about move up to #3

jetstream23

Local sports radio here in Phoenix, John Gambadoro, who is known to have reliable sources w/ the Cardinals, said they inquired about moving up to the Colts pick.  The cost "was extremely prohibitive" and would have required the Cardinals 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks and 2019 1st and 2nd round picks, and possibly more.  The Cardinals currently sit at #15.  Just food for thought.

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Local sports radio here in Phoenix, John Gambadoro, who is known to have reliable sources w/ the Cardinals, said they inquired about moving up to the Colts pick.  The cost "was extremely prohibitive" and would have required the Cardinals 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks and 2019 1st and 2nd round picks, and possibly more.  The Cardinals currently sit at #15.  Just food for thought.

As someone who's not crazy about giving up so many 2nd rounders, this does make me feel better.

You don't get to many opportunities to draft an elite QB prospect. When you're in striking distance (like the Jets were) you got to make the move.

I just wish it was for the #2 spot.

What I take from this is that the Bills will have to pay around the same or maybe even more to get to #2. 

If 15 to 3 costs that much? 12 to 2 has to be around the same. April 26th cannot come soon enough.

edit: they also may have to try and beat the market price that we drove up by over paying for #3. It’s going to be extremely hard for them to pull it off and I hope that they don’t.

The Sheldon Richardson 2 was a gift from the heavens ... A freebie in my book .. he was leaving anyway. So in my mind it was really kind of like 2 2s ... We did not overpayas much as many are crying about. Gil Brandt said he thought it was a smart trade for us... That guy knows something about the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The Sheldon Richardson 2 was a gift from the heavens ... A freebie in my book .. he was leaving anyway. So in my mind it was really kind of like 2 2s ... We did not overpayas much as many are crying about. Gil Brandt said he thought it was a smart trade for us... That guy knows something about the draft.

This is our chance to land the only position in the NFL that matters. Now we roll the dice and pray. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm happy we kept the #1 next year, but I don't like giving up multiple 2's either.  I rest easier when I think that the Jets would have simply used those 2's on guys like Christian Hackenberg and Stephen Hill anyway. :P 

Be unhappy about it all you'd like. How many fans complain that Mac never makes the "bold move"? Well, you're looking at the bold move. This is Mac's bold move. This move is all about "making or breaking" Mac's career. I never believed he'd do it? I thought he enjoyed paychecks much more than he enjoys fixing the NYJ. Well, I'm happy to find out he actually has the balls to try and fix this thing. You should be to.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Not surprising, people fail to realize the farther down you are in the draft the more you're

going to pay

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Plus Kearse ended up being more productive for the Jets than Sheldon did for Seattle....Was a great trade.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm happy we kept the #1 next year, but I don't like giving up multiple 2's either.  I rest easier when I think that the Jets would have simply used those 2's on guys like Christian Hackenberg and Stephen Hill anyway. :P 

or maye?  those second rounders may have been failures in the past but they're due to turn the selection around. even devan smith might have been a decent player if not for the freak injuries.  but at the same time, the jets now have the 3rd pick.  it's time to get a qb.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Plus Kearse ended up being more productive for the Jets than Sheldon did for Seattle....Was a great trade.

This is a great point. Sheldon was a dead man walking & there was no way we're resigning him. People aren't giving Macc the kudos he deserves for the Richardson trade. I guarantee you he was offered a lot less, similar to us trading a 5 for Brandon Marshall (head case).

He held out until he got the most he could (2nd rounder), PLUS he got Kearse who is a very good 2 or 3 Wideout & who is better than any 2nd rounder we've picked since David Harris & most recently Marcus Maye. We still have 40 million to fill some more holes in the roster & I don't mind them rolling some into 2019. Hopefully we sign Pryor, who could have a huge bounce back year. 

So in truth, that trade filled another starter spot of need for us (Kearse had a great year). So Macc literally traded a 2nd this year & a 2nd next year to put us in position to draft a franchise QB! Seattle has already lost Richardson & had to let Paul Richardson go. If our Jets made that trade you guys would be killing them right now.

I've always said we need to give Macc another chance based on Woody & his all in get to the playoffs mandate in 2015. Horrific drafting during Rex reign by Tannenbaum & Idzik created a steep uphill climb for this new regime. Has he been perfect? Of course not, but drafts like the Saints pulled off last year are rare. 

So far, I really like the free agent moves, and while fans criticize missing out on a few, we don't have a franchise QB here yet, which makes it difficult to recruit top offensive players. The Jets are still a work in progress but if we nail the QB, we could be in a position to take over this division. While the Pats continue winning, Buffalo & Miami are going full reset like we did last year. A franchise QB would be perfect timing! 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Damn. That’s a lot. 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Not exactly reassuring that a team that loves big, dumb, strong-armed, scattershot quarterbacks who suck ass tried to trade into the same spot we did.

“ they playing my jam!”

- Big Macc

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Good point man. Plus throw  in Kearse who is serviceable that’s an ok deal. 

The Mac trade for Kearse and the #2 for Richardson was far and away the best move Mac has made as GM of this team in 3 plus years.  That 2nd rounder put us over the top and allowed us to trade up to #3 with the colts without giving up next years's #1.  If he picks the right QB, these two moves will go down as the greatest two GM moves in the history of out franchise. 

I've been killing Mac for 3 years, but he deserves a lot of credit for those moves.  Fingers and toes crossed and a bottle of vodka at the ready come draft day that he picks the right QB! 

14 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Mac trade for Kearse and the #2 for Richardson was far and away the best move Mac has made as GM of this team in 3 plus years.  That 2nd rounder put us over the top and allowed us to trade up to #3 with the colts without giving up next years's #1.  If he picks the right QB, these two moves will go down as the greatest two GM moves in the history of out franchise. 

I've been killing Mac for 3 years, but he deserves a lot of credit for those moves.  Fingers and toes crossed and a bottle of vodka at the ready come draft day that he picks the right QB! 

Great post!!

And you are not overstating it. If these moves work he will be seen as the greatest Jets GM by far of all time !!!

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Look, if we end up with a worthwhile FQB none of it matters. It wouldn't matter if we forked over all 3 of these picks plus our #1 next year for a decade-long answer at QB. 

That said, it's not a freebie. None of them are freebies. That pick was what we were left with after years of holding onto far more valuable assets that were devaluing by the year:

If he was going to move Richardson and keep Mo, he could and should have been moved him years earlier, when SR's value was much higher (when he had 2 more years left at a low salary plus a 5th year team option at an anticipated $7-8m). I'm talking about before that 2017 offseason: during the '16 season before the trade deadline to get a pick a year earlier; before even that during the spring '16 offseason (this time 2 years ago); or before even that during or right after the draft in 2015 after taking Leo. OR he should have moved Mo for a high 2-plus (if he couldn't get a 1st rounder + more like he was demanding) instead of keeping both of them for 2+ years after drafting Leo, at a cumulative cost of nearly $50m plus passing up on trade value that decreases by a round with each passing year.

So the $50m we didn't get to spend on worthwhile players is just the money. Even if the best offer he could've gotten for the better of these two back then was merely a high 2nd, that's a high 2nd from a full two seasons earlier. What do you suppose it'd cost for any team to willingly drop from a current high 2nd rounder for a mid-late 2nd rounder 3 full drafts later? Now you're into lost value of greater than a 1st round pick. "Freebie" my left one. 

So it's intellectually dishonest to ignore all Macc stupidly squandered, and jump in a season after the time Seattle rescued Macc from his prior 2+ years of horrible decisions by offering up the trade value of a late 3rd round pick, and call it a freebie

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What I take from this is that the Bills will have to pay around the same or maybe even more to get to #2. 

If 15 to 3 costs that much? 12 to 2 has to be around the same. April 26th cannot come soon enough.

edit: they also may have to try and beat the market price that we drove up by over paying for #3. It’s going to be extremely hard for them to pull it off and I hope that they don’t.

Agree. This is precisely why I think the Broncos are the only team who can realistically swoop in and make a trade with the Giants, and given that they just nabbed Keenum, that seems unlikely to me. 

The other issue is that the Giants are most likely going to want to stay within shouting distance of the top 5. 

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

Jets should’ve gotten like a 6th rounder back in return just so we could draft another guy. Has immaterial value in the trade but makes up for giving up 4 picks. 

ya I hear ya, but stats show more UDFAs stick than 6th/7th rounders. lets hope we do well 10 seconds after draft ends to make up for lost picks, maybe get some gems....

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

And we got Kearse in the Richardson trade. Kearse is a lot better than 90% of our second round picks.

12 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

ya I hear ya, but stats show more UDFAs stick than 6th/7th rounders. lets hope we do well 10 seconds after draft ends to make up for lost picks, maybe get some gems....

That may be so, but you have to consider that's more a matter of pure volume than anything else.  There's no real advantage to waiting around to sign an undrafted guy (and in that case, he actually has to pick your team too) as opposed to selecting who you want out of that pool in the late rounds.  The real difference is that there are about 64 6th/7th rounders (plus however many comp picks), compared to hundreds of UDFAs.

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Not exactly reassuring that a team that loves big, dumb, strong-armed, scattershot quarterbacks who suck ass tried to trade into the same spot we did.

how is that relevant?  You have no idea which QB Cards were targeting.  Unless I missed some disclosure of same. 

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

And almost 4 weeks ago, Gil Brandt basically said on NFL Serius that when FA was to start that Minnesota would 100% be announcing an extraordinary and unusual deal for a big FA but explicitly said he was not at liberty to disclose who or any more.  The deal between the Vikings and Cousins was sealed about 3-4 weeks before FA started.  Period.  The unusual part of the deal that Brandt was alluding to was the 100% guaranty Cousins got for the full salary of the contract.

I trust everything the 84 year old Gil Brandt says.  He is always correct, never fabricates or exaggerates like so many others do on the air and is one of the most knowledgeable football guys I have ever listened to.  Cousins was ALWAYS going to the Vikings.  

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

As long as our first pick is a gem, I’m good. rest 5 picks can be busts for now. We just need to hit on that first pick (QB) for this year. 

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

or maye?  those second rounders may have been failures in the past but they're due to turn the selection around. even devan smith might have been a decent player if not for the freak injuries.  but at the same time, the jets now have the 3rd pick.  it's time to get a qb.

Yes it is my man!

Archived