Allen Hurns Released

JetFaninMI

Jaguars Release WR Allen Hurns

The Jaguars are releasing wide receiver Allen Hurns, a source tells Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter). The move comes as a surprise since Hurns has been a regularly featured player for Jacksonville over the past four seasons. USATSI_90447161-205x300.jpg

Hurns was midway through a four-year extension worth roughly $40MM with $20MM in guaranteed money. Those guarantees were paid down over the first two years of the deal, so the Jaguars will carry no dead money while saving $7MM against the 2018 cap.

Last year, injuries limited Hurns to just ten games. He has missed eleven games since 2016 and that was likely a factor in Jacksonville’s decision to let him go.

Although a great deal of cap room has already been spent around the league, there are still dollars out there for someone like Hurns in the second wave of free agency. The Jets, for example, still have $40MM to work with and continue to scour the free agent market for help at wide receiver.

The Jaguars, who mounted an impressive run to the AFC title game, will return with a revamped group of wide receivers in 2018. Star Allen Robinson, who missed the majority of the 2017 season, left in free agency to sign a lucrative deal with the Bears. Meanwhile, it appears that new pickup Donte Moncrief will serve as the team’s No. 2 WR behind Marqise Lee as he replaces Hurns on the depth chart. New tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins also figures to see a lot of passes thrown in his direction.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Hankins and Hurns, please!

Is Hankins a true NT?  He had a great season with the Giants getting 7 sacks, then its been really quiet for him ever since.  I liked him a lot as a Giant, I wonder what the issue has been.

The Jets WRs can look ok if you look at them one way, but in the alternative they have Enunwa hurt, Kearse expensive and on his last year, Anderson a nutjob and on his last year, and Devin Smith a long shot.  Beefing up the WR corps is not a bad idea for a team that hopes to be in the playfoffs in 2019.  

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets WRs can look ok if you look at them one way, but in the alternative they have Enunwa hurt, Kearse expensive and on his last year, Anderson a nutjob and on his last year, and Devin Smith a long shot.  Beefing up the WR corps is not a bad idea for a team that hopes to be in the playfoffs in 2019.  

Damn, Devin Smith is still on the team?

25 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Is Hankins a true NT?  

I don't think it matters since those guys are disappearing. He's a quality enough DT against the run and the pass, ideally they're rotating him and McClendon at NT and maybe even DE in some run oriented packages. 

The big trend in sports these days is positionless whatever - NBA, MLB, probably NHL, the gazillion soccer leagues I will try to catch up with...If you're an athlete and you have some skills that help win, teams can make it work.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

What plan?  haha but no serious, how do you justify this statement?

It's been pretty clear all of the signings are younger early to mid 20's.  If you're not seeing a calculated youth movement with the franchise then you're not paying attention.

Contrary to most around here I don't believe our GM is an idiot.  To me, since the end of the 2016 season there seems to be a clear plan and I believe it's being implemented well.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hurns is 26, Pryor is 28. 

Josh McCown is 39.

Since we're counting, Pryor will be 29 when the season starts and Hurns will still be 26.  30 is getting old for a receiver - Pryor has one year left, while Hurns has 4 - there is a big difference there.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's been pretty clear all of the signings are younger early to mid 20's.  If you're not seeing a calculated youth movement with the franchise then you're not paying attention.

Contrary to most around here I don't believe our GM is an idiot.  To me, since the end of the 2016 season there seems to be a clear plan and I believe it's being implemented well.

Whatever that plan is, rest assured it pales in comparison to the Bills. Now those guys....Those guys are masterminds.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

26 vs. 28 takes you off this youth movement plan you speak of?  

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Since we're counting, Pryor will be 29 when the season starts and Hurns will still be 26.  30 is getting old for a receiver - Pryor has one year left, while Hurns has 4 - there is a big difference there.

No.  There isnt.  This is ridiculous. Hurns turns 27 in Nov.  lmfao

Just now, JiF said:

No.  There isnt.  This is ridiculous. Hurns turns 27 in Nov.  lmfao

Do you really not think there's a difference between 26 and 29 with an NFL WR?

Look, I'm not saying don't sign Pryor, I have nothing against him - I'm saying Hurns is a better fit.  And he is.

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This IS sports so of course two years matters. 

For example - imagine Kirk Cousins is 27 instead of 29 entering FA. That alone easily gets him $100+ million in garauntees, and Jah knows how high teams would be willing to go beyond that.

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This IS sports so of course two years matters. Hurns at his best is better than Pryor at his best too, so that helps.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I'm not saying don't sign Pryor, I have nothing against him - I'm saying Hurns is a better fit.  And he is.

You two are as high as a kite with this take.  26 vs. 28 is nothing for players like this that are not going to be around longer than 2 years.  This is crazy talk.  If we were discussing players in their mid 30's...sure but these guys are 26 and 28 right now.  The other side of this, the young guy has an injury plagued history.  Dude cant stay healthy. He has a chronic ankle/foot issue and he's a concussion away from retirement.

2 years in your twenties, especially in this situation, means nothing. 

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What is the difference? RB have a “wall” at 30, but that’s because of the beating they take. Receivers can play well into their mid-thirties, but that’s a moot point.

Because: Pryor was a QB for three years before tranferring over to WR for the last two. and after hurting his ankle in week-2 he was used sparingly last year at that. 

So really...five years in league, minus 3 x 2/3, subtract seven weeks, carry the 1.... he’s like an NFL 27, which is almost 4 in dog years, a 28 QB.  

But he’s a WR1, and that’s all matters until we can replace him.

Archived