Allen Hurns Released

JetFaninMI

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I dont get your point. Mccown is an outlier ... 

hurns = 26 and 4 years in.  

Williamson is what. 27?

Trumaine johnson is 28?

And those are the older guys theyve brought in this year.

The McCown part was a joke.  

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

You two are as high as a kite with this take.  26 vs. 28 is nothing for players like this that are not going to be around longer than 2 years.  This is crazy talk.  If we were discussing players in their mid 30's...sure but these guys are 26 and 28 right now.  The other side of this, the young guy has an injury plagued history.  Dude cant stay healthy. He has a chronic ankle/foot issue and he's a concussion away from retirement.

2 years in your twenties, especially in this situation, means nothing. 

Fair enough, it is probably a waste of time mincing the Hurns and Pryors of the NFL anyway.

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

What is the difference? RB have a “wall” at 30, but that’s because of the beating they take. Receivers can play well into their mid-thirties, but that’s a moot point.

Because: Pryor was a QB for three years before tranferring over to WR for the last two. and after hurting his ankle in week-2 he was used sparingly last year at that. 

So really...five years in league, minus 3 x 2/3, subtract seven weeks, carry the 1.... he’s like an NFL 27, which is almost 4 in dog years, a 28 QB.  

But he’s a WR1, and that’s all matters until we can replace him.

They hit a wall because their quick twitch muscles stop twitching as fast, they lose their explosiveness - it's also why speed receivers have the same problems.

two years matter.

If you want to say Mac doesn't have a plan, not going with a youth movement and that a 29 year old receiver is basically the same age at a 26 year old..that's fine - I'm not going to fight with you about it.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Dude cant stay healthy and is a concussion waiting to happen.  Good player when on the field.  Not something the Jets should invest in at all.  I'd prefer Pryor or Matthews.

We need to sign one of these 2, absolutely agree. Also would like to get 

Mewhort or Cooper for Guards/depth 

Ealy

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I like Jordan Matthews the best but Hurns is definitely a nice alternative. Like him better than Pryor.

Pryor appears to be more of a deep threat? While Hurns is more of a possession receiver?  

Pryor could be a good replacement for RAnderson. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

You two are as high as a kite with this take.  26 vs. 28 is nothing for players like this that are not going to be around longer than 2 years.  This is crazy talk.  If we were discussing players in their mid 30's...sure but these guys are 26 and 28 right now.  The other side of this, the young guy has an injury plagued history.  Dude cant stay healthy. He has a chronic ankle/foot issue and he's a concussion away from retirement.

2 years in your twenties, especially in this situation, means nothing. 

I think his point was that in a couple of years it will mean something with these players, which is what mac is looking at.  Not looking at this year only.

If its a one year prove it deal for Pryor I have no problem with trying to sign them both. Depth at the WR position is something this team is going to need going forward. With the questions surrounding Anderson and Enunwa it only makes sense to add depth. Hurns, Pryor, Kearse, Anderson,and Enunwa would be pretty sweet IMO and would be a productive group. I doubt it happens but it would go a long way towards a strong unit.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

The Jets WRs can look ok if you look at them one way, but in the alternative they have Enunwa hurt, Kearse expensive and on his last year, Anderson a nutjob and on his last year, and Devin Smith a long shot.  Beefing up the WR corps is not a bad idea for a team that hopes to be in the playfoffs in 2019.  

kearse expensive? 5.5M is too much?  maybe but only by a little.  giving a guy like obj 17 m would make for an expensive receiver.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

If its a one year prove it deal for Pryor I have no problem with trying to sign them both. Depth at the WR position is something this team is going to need going forward. With the questions surrounding Anderson and Enunwa it only makes sense to add depth. Hurns, Pryor, Kearse, Anderson,and Enunwa would be pretty sweet IMO and would be a productive group. I doubt it happens but it would go a long way towards a strong unit.

I agree. Throw them all into the mix and let a true competition sort them out.

The problem is that we have a lot of "bodies" at WR but they all have issues (mostly different issues from each other) and none really stand out as a clear #1 or #2.  Kearse is in his last year I believe, Anderson is a nut job, Enunwa and Devin Smith are injury-risks, Hansen and Stewart are unproven.  We can't really afford to bump one of those guys off the roster to sign yet another guy who has promise but also has a risk like Hurns.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The problem is that we have a lot of "bodies" at WR but they all have issues (mostly different issues from each other) and none really stand out as a clear #1 or #2.  Kearse is in his last year I believe, Anderson is a nut job, Enunwa and Devin Smith are injury-risks, Hansen and Stewart are unproven.  We can't really afford to bump one of those guys off the roster to sign yet another guy who has promise but also has a risk like Hurns.

Agreed, but if Anderson is suspended and Enunwa is still hurt or gets hurt again, we are down to Kearse/Hansen/Stewart/smith. That's a big problem heading into week 1 of a season. 

If you add Pryor and/or Hurns you are just increasing your chances that one of them will be healthy enough to be our #1 when the season opens. 

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

:good:   Totally agree. Give em competition. The cream will rise to the top.

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, but if Anderson is suspended and Enunwa is still hurt or gets hurt again, we are down to Kearse/Hansen/Stewart/smith. That's a big problem heading into week 1 of a season. 

If you add Pryor and/or Hurns you are just increasing your chances that one of them will be healthy enough to be our #1 when the season opens. 

I like this answer. :)

I agree with you.  We may need another body, particularly for the first few weeks.  My concern is that every guy we have has an issue.  The BEST thing that can happen for the Jets is that Hansen and Stewart come into camp looking like they've really taken some steps forward and could challenge for #2 / #3 WR spots.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Hansen/Stewart/Smith cannot be counted on at all. Adding a healthy Pryor and if Hurns is healthy and productive it will go along way to dramatically improving the play on the field. Add in Kearse and Anderson and that's a solid group. Then you take what you can get from the rest. WR is not as deep a position as some would like to think and it needs upgrading. Are Pryor and Hurns upgrades even with all their questions? Sadly they are.

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Pryor appears to be more of a deep threat? While Hurns is more of a possession receiver?  

Pryor could be a good replacement for RAnderson. 

He has averaged 12 and 13 ypc.  He's not Cliff Branch.

EDIT:  I looked it up.  Hurns, the possession receiver has averaged around 1 full ypc more.

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

, are we or are we not allowed 2 stockpile unused money and put it towards next year's expenditures? Because it seems like we have a ton of cash and we're shopping at a flea market instead of Macy's I would rather not spend if I don't have to

They don't have to spend it until 2020.  OTOH, I think you underrate these 2nd tier signings.  Hurns and Pryor are guys that were sure starters going into 2017.  If you can get a decent deal on them they are worth a look.  Hurns wasn't cut because he is bad, but because he gets hurt and had a big contract.  Sometimes you are better off shopping at Tiffany's for a few big ticket items and them finding some flea market gems.

After word broke early Tuesday that the Jaguars were releasing him, receiver Allen Hurns received a Twitter message from his former teammate, Allen Robinson, with a pair of eyes and the Chicago Beas’ handle. Hours later, Hurns said the Bears were interested in him.

Asked by WFNZ radio in Charlotte to list the teams that liked him, Hurns named the Bears first — followed by the Bills, Texans, Jets, Raiders, Panthers and others. He said he wants to make a decision “in the next couple of days,” after he visits with teams.

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lots of places for him to go..why here? 

Lol worth a shot though.

Because he knows the Jets have the money to overpay. So we either do so or he will go to a winner that has a legit QB who can make him more money next year or year after.

Archived