Allen Hurns Released

JetFaninMI

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Hurns goes to sign with cowboys. Has an amazing career all because of the snow. God damn jets.

Geeeeeze....why you have to put the whammy on this?  Now Im thinking the same!!

FACE TIME HIM!

16 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Geeeeeze....why you have to put the whammy on this?  Now Im thinking the same!!

FACE TIME HIM!

That’s how these Jets stories start. “Remember that time he was gonna visit us first but then the flight got cancelled...” after his pro bowl appearance. 

11 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree the guy is worth a look. Pryor or Hurns? I would love to add both but I doubt that happens. The only reason why I would look too add both of them is Enunwa's injury and Andersons instability.

Both of them paired with Kearse and some of the young guns would be amazing. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/weather-forces-allen-hurns-to-visit-cowboys-before-jets/

Weather forces Allen Hurns to visit Cowboys before Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2018, 9:10 PM EDT

gettyimages-611979746-e1521594611824.jpg
Getty Images

Receiver Allen Hurns wants to visit the Jets, but there’s no plane to take him there.

Per a league source, weather issues in the New York area have triggered the cancellation of the flight that would have taken Hurns to visit the Jets. He’ll instead visit the Cowboys first, with a visit to the Jets to follow immediately.

Of course, there will be no visit to the Jets if Hurns likes what he hears and puts pen to paper.

Hurns, undrafted out of Miami in 2014, was released on Tuesday. His production has dipped significantly since generating more than 1,000 yards in his second NFL season.

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They don't have to spend it until 2020.  OTOH, I think you underrate these 2nd tier signings.  Hurns and Pryor are guys that were sure starters going into 2017.  If you can get a decent deal on them they are worth a look.  Hurns wasn't cut because he is bad, but because he gets hurt and had a big contract.  Sometimes you are better off shopping at Tiffany's for a few big ticket items and them finding some flea market gems.

So we’re buying our WR at Marshall’s? Sizing may be a little irregular, and while you probably wouldn’t notice at first glance, it’s not good for a wideout to have one leg an inch shorter than the other. Then again, for 5 bucks can you really complain?

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So we’re buying our WR at Marshall’s? Sizing may be a little irregular, and while you probably wouldn’t notice at first glance, it’s not good for a wideout to have one leg an inch shorter than the other. Then again, for 5 bucks can you really complain?

I dont know.  The running motion of a guy with a leg 1" shorter than the other might look like he is throwing head fakes when he is running in a straight line.  Might be confusing. Ha ha ha

Just now, jack48 said:

I dont know.  The running motion of a guy with a leg 1' shorter than the other might look like he is throwing head fakes when he is running in a straight line.  Might be confusing. Ha ha ha

I think if we line him up with his short leg on the post side it'll stop him from uncontrollably running out of bounds like a broken shopping cart that keeps turning left. 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:37 AM, JiF said:

You two are as high as a kite with this take.  26 vs. 28 is nothing for players like this that are not going to be around longer than 2 years.  This is crazy talk.  If we were discussing players in their mid 30's...sure but these guys are 26 and 28 right now.  The other side of this, the young guy has an injury plagued history.  Dude cant stay healthy. He has a chronic ankle/foot issue and he's a concussion away from retirement.

2 years in your twenties, especially in this situation, means nothing. 

I agree.  People are all caught up in age and mileage.  We only care about the time the player will be under this contract.  Who cares if RBs break down with use?  As long as they don't break down under the contract that is fine.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:44 AM, FidelioJet said:

They hit a wall because their quick twitch muscles stop twitching as fast, they lose their explosiveness - it's also why speed receivers have the same problems.

two years matter.

If you want to say Mac doesn't have a plan, not going with a youth movement and that a 29 year old receiver is basically the same age at a 26 year old..that's fine - I'm not going to fight with you about it.

Like Darrell Green?

21 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If its a one year prove it deal for Pryor I have no problem with trying to sign them both. Depth at the WR position is something this team is going to need going forward. With the questions surrounding Anderson and Enunwa it only makes sense to add depth. Hurns, Pryor, Kearse, Anderson,and Enunwa would be pretty sweet IMO and would be a productive group. I doubt it happens but it would go a long way towards a strong unit.

I actually don't like one year "prove it" deals.  I think they favor the player.  He gets an opportunity and we get a player cheap.  What if he is good?  Then we are stuck dealing with more FA issues next year.  I prefer reasonable 2 year deals, or at least deals with a decent sized 2nd year option built in so that if the guy breaks out we have him under contract.  

19 hours ago, rillo said:

Jags are gonna run Fournette into the ground by year 3 and pray they hold every team to 14 or less. They released their TE as well. 

Marcedes Lewis is 33 years old and they signed ASJ and Niles Paul.  That isn't exactly a downgrade offensively.  Lewis had 5 TDs all year, but 3 were in the rout in London.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I bought a DKNY suit at Marshall's for $125 once.  It fits perfect.  True story.  Maybe one of my legs is shorter than the other?

On 3/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, varjet said:

The Jets WRs can look ok if you look at them one way, but in the alternative they have Enunwa hurt, Kearse expensive and on his last year, Anderson a nutjob and on his last year, and Devin Smith a long shot.  Beefing up the WR corps is not a bad idea for a team that hopes to be in the playfoffs in 2019.  

Not to high-jack this thread, but mentioning Kearse and the fact he's in last year of deal and we have lots of space....did he show enough to consider re-structuring/extending his deal (front loaded) to be able to get like 2 more years out of him?  or ride out a player in the last year of his deal? 

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

For example - imagine Kirk Cousins is 27 instead of 29 entering FA. That alone easily gets him $100+ million in garauntees, and Jah knows how high teams would be willing to go beyond that.

No, that is not how it works...

6 hours ago, C Mart said:

Pryor appears to be more of a deep threat? While Hurns is more of a possession receiver?  

Pryor could be a good replacement for RAnderson. 

He appeared to be crap last year with Cousins throwing to him, give him a shot anyway screw it, but dont pay a whole lot of $$

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I agree. Throw them all into the mix and let a true competition sort them out.

100% a real competition, i would love to see it. 

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jags, an up and coming team dumps a player who's production has peeked and started falling and Jet fans are lining up to welcome him to our team all because he's a known name .

Hellooooo...  Hurns is 26 and he was injured last season and the season before.  He had over 1,000 yards in 2015.  He shredded Cromartie at MetLife that season.  That is not the equivalent of "production has peeked".

That's actually very funny.  Hurns is a good player.  If he is over those injuries, he can be a very productive asset.  Jacksonville hit gold with Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook, so both Robinson and Hurns $$$$$$$$$ could be shed.  They signed Moncrief on the cheap too.

C'mon Tinstar!  You can do better than that.  Hurns still has a potentially solid career ahead of him idf he can stay healthy.  Give him a prove it deal or sign Pryor instead.  But get one of them, please.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The Jags, an up and coming team dumps a player who's production has peeked and started falling and Jet fans are lining up to welcome him to our team all because he's a known name .

Let me help you with that.

The Jags, who, following last year's playoff run, have decided that their team is in "win-now mode" were unable to pay Allen Robinson at his going rate due to their limited cap space. Perhaps the Jaguars could have prioritized Robinson more, but since he is coming off a severe injury the Jaguars decided that the price tag was too high. As a running team, the Jags prioritized their Offensive Line in free agency.

Following Robinson's departure, the Jags decided to sign Donte Moncrief, as a player with similar skills to Robinson, who has been a let-down in his NFL career. The Jags, who now have 13 Million in cap space for 2018 and NEGATIVE 30 Million in cap space for 2019, needed to cut ties with additional players. 

In Marqise Lee, the Jaguars found a WR with similar skills to talented but injury-ridden Allen Hurns. The Jaguars were able to reach a cap friendly deal with Lee, making Hurns somewhat expendable.

Hurns remains a young, talented wide receiver that, when healthy, is a very good #3 option and can be a solid #2 option, if necessary.

Jets fans are aware that Robby Anderson has legal issues and that Quincy Enunwa is coming off a very serious neck injury, and excited to embrace a known talent at the position.

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Yeah that's about it. So ?

32 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

They didn't just cut him, they first tried to get him to take a pay cut and when that didn't work out they cut him. Mainly because they opted to go with Moncrief/Lee/Westbrook (who they  love). 

In the NFL, teams make tough cap decisions and are forced to trade away/cut really good players for nothing or next to nothing (see Marcus Peters/JPP etc...) It's not that these players aren't really good it's that you have to allocate resources differently each year. One year they had a ton of cap space (because they were awful) so they dumped a ton of money into Hurns' contract. 

Now they've loaded up on more talent and didn't like the bloated contract anymore. If Hurns was on the books for 8 million this year he never gets cut. 

Archived