Crying Over Spilled Milk (Jets QB Situation)

Warfish

So it's pretty clear I've been doing ALOT of crying over spilled milk since FA started. 

--I'm deeply disappointed in this franchise for failing to get a definitive answer at QB in the best FA QB available in ages, Kirk Cousins.  Yes, it would have been grossly expensive, but yes, we could (and IMO should) have afforded it.  It's not every day a 4,500+ Yard 28+ TD Passer becomes available to a team with as horrid a QB record as us.  Our failure to spend what it takes is a symptom of this franchises longstanding failure at the QB position to do what it takes to be legit.

--I'm deeply disappointed in the General Manager and his horrid record of moves related to the QB position.  He's botched nearly every QB-related decision he's made.  Sure, Fitz-as-backup turnout out fine, but then he horribly bungled the Fitz resigning.  He drafted Petty (bust) in the high 4th.  He drafted (reached) Hackenberg, then Hackenshirted him his entire time here despite being the 51st pick in the draft (2nd Round).  Then he never put his foot down to make the Head Coach play the kid, to the point that a QB drafted #51 will be gone from us before he ever takes a snap in a game.  He's wasted money on placeholders (McCown) and even managed to screw up everyone favorite "tank" season.  He then doubles down on that placeholder for more then twice a reasonable market value. He failed to get Watson when Watson was sitting in his lap, ofting for....a Safety.  A good safety, but a safety.  Then he signs, sight unseen, Teddy Bridgewater, a Sanchez-esque flier.  Then he trades multiple picks that are high enough they should (under a good GM) be long term starters just to move up to get a QB.   I simply cannot have faith this man will make the right choice, and just because the wrong choice might get him fired doesn;t comfort me.  I don't want firings, I want a damn QB.

With all that said, no amount of Fishy tears will change any of it.  Not one single thing.

So trying to look forward, We're now at pick #3 in a draft widely considered to have four (or three to some) legit QB prospects.  No one can seemingly agree on which three are the best, nor can they agree on which one we should want, nor can they agree on which ones have the least/least vital flaws (and they ALL have material flaws).  If ever there was a "Danger Zone" for us picking a QB, a "Perfect Storm" of risk, this GM and this draft class appears to be it.

No one likes a downer, I get it.  And a chance at something is better than no chance at anything, I get that too.

And at the end of the day, if we draft any one of these kids, they've got to be better than starting a 87 year old Josh McCown.  I do get that, despite my bitching.

It's just so damn tiresome always being in a spot like this.  We seemingly never are in the right spot, we're always in the bad spot and have to spend a ton just to get in a sort ok'ish spot.  We're never the #1 pick in a Luck-type draft.  We're #6 in a draft full of ????. We never sign the great FA offensive player, we always sign castoffs, old men (especially old men running backs it seems, before they retire) and mediocre players our GM (who thinks he's smarter than everyone else) thinks will get better, and they almost never do.

I can't be the only one frustrated at this point.  I don't want a chance at maybe some future optimism.  I want results for a change.  Is that too much to ask for?

I suppose I better just hope all the pro-this guy and pro-that guy and pro-that other guy are ALL right, that this is 1983 all over again, with multiple future Super Bowl winner getting drafted.

I hope, for once in my damn life, we're the team that gets the good guy.  And not the team that drafts the Todd Blackledge of this draft class......

TLDR:  Sorry for all the bitching, but hopefully you understand.  

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My latest/hindsight take on Cousins is that I should have been out when the Steelers tagged Bell. Cousins was never going to do this sh*t by himself because no one does this sh*t by themselves anymore, if ever, and losing the top offensive weaponz FA to the franchise tag pretty much killed the dream.

I also am not at all pissed about the Harvard and McChin signings. Money was there, young QB talent wasn't, and I don't believe in tanking.

Finally - Todd Bowels has gotten a top ten (Fitz 2015) and top 20 (McCown 2017) out of JAGs at QBs. The last time the Jets ranked that high in DVOA or DYAR or both was waaaaaaay back with healthy Pennington. I got hope this whole QB nonsense is coming to an end sooner rather than later.

Here's another take that just occurred to me as I was reading the OP.  Suppose instead of trading all our 2s and our 1, we stood pat and watched as the draft progressed for any moves we could make.  Baring any moves, we take the BEST AVAILABLE QB irregardless with our 2018 1 & 2 2s.  Never sign McCown and let the three of them plus Teddy fight out for the start.

I think I'll send in my GM application as soon as I post this :)   

All I can say is, I've never been so indecisive and uncertain on a position group as I am this year with this QB class.  These dudes are all highly flawed both on and off the field and now we're staring at potentially the 3rd best of out what seems like a 4 horse race and the guy picking the QB has shown zero ability to identify talent at the QB position.

And then if blah blah blah was right about their "phone a friend" pick for Hack, I've legit never been so frightened of a pick in my life. 

Accurate post, I think a lot of us are feeling this way. I don't even love Cousins, but I can't disagree that when you've got the Jets track record with QBs, going after and getting an established top 10 or even top 15 QB should be a no brainer. Go and draft a QB atv6vtoo if you feel you love one. Point is, the way the league is set up, keep getting every potential franchise QB available to you until have one.

Only thing I disagree with is the Bridgewater signing, and comparison to Sanchez. He's guaranteed $500k. Can be traded or cut before opening day and he costs us that, plus another $500k workout bonus if he makes it that far. If hes on the opening day roster, his salary is $5MM non-guaranteed. Can earn another $10MM in incentives. If he earns $16MM with the Jets this year, we will all be thrilled with their season.

And he's a potential FQB. I love him slightly less than Cousins when healthy, but at that money, I'd have the same complaint if they didn't give it a shot.

So definitely not anything like trading a first, second and 3 players to move up to 5 for Sanchez...

The jets offered Cousins more money to come here, he didn't even visit.  what else did we want them to do to try to get him? we offered him more money w/ a fully guaranteed contract.  He wanted to go to Minnesota and while I would have liked Cousins that deal was crazy and if we can hit on Teddy or the pick then we will be in much better shaped to build a contender around the QB.  This is really Macc's first chance at a QB, he took a chance on hack and it didn't work out but that wasn't a high 1st rounder.  we are now at #3, let's see how this plays out.

3 minutes ago, isired said:

Accurate post, I think a lot of us are feeling this way. I don't even love Cousins, but I can't disagree that when you've got the Jets track record with QBs, going after and getting an established top 10 or even top 15 QB should be a no brainer. Go and draft a QB atv6vtoo if you feel you love one. Point is, the way the league is set up, keep getting every potential franchise QB available to you until have one.

Only thing I disagree with is the Bridgewater signing, and comparison to Sanchez. He's guaranteed $500k. Can be traded or cut before opening day and he costs us that, plus another $500k workout bonus if he makes it that far. If hes on the opening day roster, his salary is $5MM non-guaranteed. Can earn another $10MM in incentives. If he earns $16MM with the Jets this year, we will all be thrilled with their season.

And he's a potential FQB. I love him slightly less than Cousins when healthy, but at that money, I'd have the same complaint if they didn't give it a shot.

So definitely not anything like trading a first, second and 3 players to move up to 5 for Sanchez...

the sanchez trade was a steal.  we essentially got him for a 2nd rd pick.  we exchanged 1st rd picks, we didn't give up a 1st rd pick and we gave a 2nd and 3 backup players.  we then made 2 title games w/ him starting.  That worked out great in the short term. unfortunately we decided to take away all his weapons to continue stockpiling on D even though we never came close to 2009's D again.

35 minutes ago, August said:

Yeah they should’ve put a gun to Cousins head and made him sign with the Jets, even though the Jets offered more money than the Vikings..

Yep, I wanted Cousins, was very upset when the Vikes clearly made him their #1 target.  I knew it was over.  IMO Macc did everything he could to make it happen.  Hired an OC who would run a system that Cousins loved, offered him more money then anyone else.  Cousins wasn't coming to NYC.  He was going to an area he much preferred to raise his family in,  still got paid a ton of money, and is with a team he has a shot to win a SB with, and still get another monster contract.  But yeah Macc screwed up.

IMO Macc's plan B is almost as good, and could turn out better then plan A.  Of course he has to pick the right QB.   He signed one of the best. and much needed CB's available.  Upgraded the weakest point on the team in C.  Long well fits the zone blocking scheme, and could upgrade the whole OL.  IMO Johnson was so bad he dramatically affected both G's.  He upgraded the RB position at a cheap price.  (personally I wish he didn't, guys a creep, but from a football standpoint it's an improvement)  He still has $40+M in cap space to catch a few late cap casualties at need positions.

Yep the team hasn't improved at all  LOL  

EDIT:  Only real issue was why in the world did the Jets pay McCown $10 M?  I doubt anyone else was offering him more then 5

the sanchez trade was a steal.  we essentially got him for a 2nd rd pick.  we exchanged 1st rd picks, we didn't give up a 1st rd pick and we gave a 2nd and 3 backup players.  we then made 2 title games w/ him starting.  That worked out great in the short term. unfortunately we decided to take away all his weapons to continue stockpiling on D even though we never came close to 2009's D again.
I liked Sanchez as much as anybody for 2 seasons + 3 games games. He was mostly average during that span, but played very well in some big games. Until Mangold went down and the Ravens D ruined him, left him shell-shocked.

Still don't see how any aspect of acquiring or signing him compares to Bridgewater's "prove you're more than a camp arm" deal.

Yeah they should’ve put a gun to Cousins head and made him sign with the Jets, even though the Jets offered more money than the Vikings..
He may have made up his mind before it came time to talk contract, I don't know, but the Jets offer would have netted him less. And if you don't think those numbers were presented to him, you're wrong.

1 minute ago, isired said:

I liked Sanchez as much as anybody for 2 seasons + 3 games games. He was mostly average during that span, but played very well in some big games. Until Mangold went down and the Ravens D ruined him, left him shell-shocked.

Still don't see how any aspect of acquiring or signing him compares to Bridgewater's "prove you're more than a camp arm" deal.

I was just discussing acquiring sanchez on draft day.  whether someone loves him or hates him they can't question that deal top move up to get him.  it was a steal.

as far as Teddy, the only ones that complain are the ones that complain about everything.  It's a no risk signing for a guy who was highly though of as a young QB before his injury.  He may never recover and if he doesn't it doesn't hurt us but if he does then we have a potential long term starter or potential trade bait if the rookie shows promise.

I was just discussing acquiring sanchez on draft day.  whether someone loves him or hates him they can't question that deal top move up to get him.  it was a steal.
as far as Teddy, the only ones that complain are the ones that complain about everything.  It's a no risk signing for a guy who was highly though of as a young QB before his injury.  He may never recover and if he doesn't it doesn't hurt us but if he does then we have a potential long term starter or potential trade bait if the rookie shows promise.
Actually before his injury not even the Vikings were 100% convinced he was their guy (though he was popular amongst fans and the team/staff), but I agree it's well worth the shot.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

All I can say is, I've never been so indecisive and uncertain on a position group as I am this year with this QB class.  These dudes are all highly flawed both on and off the field and now we're staring at potentially the 3rd best of out what seems like a 4 horse race and the guy picking the QB has shown zero ability to identify talent at the QB position.

And then if blah blah blah was right about their "phone a friend" pick for Hack, I've legit never been so frightened of a pick in my life. 

What's that about? 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Holy Sh---

There's still five weeks until the draft - it's going to get ugly around here! :-)

Sorry, just thinking outloud.

It could. 

But honestly we have so many folks who (IMO) seem to think Macc is doing everything perfectly, it's silly to want to keep bashing ones head against that wall. 

Arguing about it starts becoming tiresome when so many responses are like ****** posts, and boils down to "why are you complaining, Macc is perfect and did it perfectly, it just didn't work out.  How dare you question or brilliant GM!  We're in a perfect spot now!". :rolleyes: 

I'm surprised this forum has become so Ray Ray'esque honestly.  Every decision was good, every failure not the GM's fault, every future golden now.

/shrug

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

It could. 

But honestly we have so many folks who (IMO) seem to think Macc is doing everything perfectly, it's silly to want to keep bashing ones head against that wall. 

Arguing about it starts becoming tiresome when so many responses are like ****** posts, and boils down to "why are you complaining, Macc is perfect and did it perfectly, it just didn't work out.  How dare you question or brilliant GM!  We're in a perfect spot now!". :rolleyes: 

I'm surprised this forum has become so Ray Ray'esque honestly.  Every decision was good, every failure not the GM's fault, every future golden now.

/shrug

There is a difference between plan and execution. This plan is perfectly sound. The execution of it is the question

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So it's pretty clear I've been doing ALOT of crying over spilled milk since FA started. 

--I'm deeply disappointed in this franchise for failing to get a definitive answer at QB in the best FA QB available in ages, Kirk Cousins.  Yes, it would have been grossly expensive, but yes, we could (and IMO should) have afforded it.  It's not every day a 4,500+ Yard 28+ TD Passer becomes available to a team with as horrid a QB record as us.  Our failure to spend what it takes is a symptom of this franchises longstanding failure at the QB position to do what it takes to be legit.

--I'm deeply disappointed in the General Manager and his horrid record of moves related to the QB position.  He's botched nearly every QB-related decision he's made.  Sure, Fitz-as-backup turnout out fine, but then he horribly bungled the Fitz resigning.  He drafted Petty (bust) in the high 4th.  He drafted (reached) Hackenberg, then Hackenshirted him his entire time here despite being the 51st pick in the draft (2nd Round).  Then he never put his foot down to make the Head Coach play the kid, to the point that a QB drafted #51 will be gone from us before he ever takes a snap in a game.  He's wasted money on placeholders (McCown) and even managed to screw up everyone favorite "tank" season.  He then doubles down on that placeholder for more then twice a reasonable market value. He failed to get Watson when Watson was sitting in his lap, ofting for....a Safety.  A good safety, but a safety.  Then he signs, sight unseen, Teddy Bridgewater, a Sanchez-esque flier.  Then he trades multiple picks that are high enough they should (under a good GM) be long term starters just to move up to get a QB.   I simply cannot have faith this man will make the right choice, and just because the wrong choice might get him fired doesn;t comfort me.  I don't want firings, I want a damn QB.

With all that said, no amount of Fishy tears will change any of it.  Not one single thing.

So trying to look forward, We're now at pick #3 in a draft widely considered to have four (or three to some) legit QB prospects.  No one can seemingly agree on which three are the best, nor can they agree on which one we should want, nor can they agree on which ones have the least/least vital flaws (and they ALL have material flaws).  If ever there was a "Danger Zone" for us picking a QB, a "Perfect Storm" of risk, this GM and this draft class appears to be it.

No one likes a downer, I get it.  And a chance at something is better than no chance at anything, I get that too.

And at the end of the day, if we draft any one of these kids, they've got to be better than starting a 87 year old Josh McCown.  I do get that, despite my bitching.

It's just so damn tiresome always being in a spot like this.  We seemingly never are in the right spot, we're always in the bad spot and have to spend a ton just to get in a sort ok'ish spot.  We're never the #1 pick in a Luck-type draft.  We're #6 in a draft full of ????. We never sign the great FA offensive player, we always sign castoffs, old men (especially old men running backs it seems, before they retire) and mediocre players our GM (who thinks he's smarter than everyone else) thinks will get better, and they almost never do.

I can't be the only one frustrated at this point.  I don't want a chance at maybe some future optimism.  I want results for a change.  Is that too much to ask for?

I suppose I better just hope all the pro-this guy and pro-that guy and pro-that other guy are ALL right, that this is 1983 all over again, with multiple future Super Bowl winner getting drafted.

I hope, for once in my damn life, we're the team that gets the good guy.  And not the team that drafts the Todd Blackledge of this draft class......

My opinion:

You, and many others, vastly underrate this QB class.  I think it is far better than Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes.  Even with Watson's amazing rookie performance. The Jets are in one of the best acquire QB positions that I can remember in such a long time.  

I know, I know... your a glass half-empty kind of guy. I understand that.   I've been reading your posts for nearly a decade here and on that now defunct Jets forum so I feel like I know how you think.  It's all good.  We all want success.  I'd just rather not dwell on the negative potential as often as so many of us do.  I, myself, am guilty of it way more often than I will admit.

Kirk Cousins is 4-19 against teams that finished above .500. I am thrilled that he bailed us out by signing with Minnesota. I am also extremely happy that we traded up to the third pick and will be excited if we end up with any of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

The thing to complain about is that this organization knew that they wanted a QB in this draft and didn't do everything necessary to land a top 3 pick on their own. All Maccagnan had to do was force Bowles to go with Petty and Hack and we would have won at least 2 less games and had the number two pick which we would have due to winning the tiebreaker. My issue is that McCown cost this organization 3 second round picks but at this point just give me one of the top 3 QBs and I will have a reason to watch next season.    

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It could. 

/shrug

Yup - I like Mac but I get frustrated with him often - for instance I still can't wrap my head around the $10mm for McCown signing.  But I just don't think the guy is a moron.  I find myself defending him, probably too often and with too much ferver, because I find the hyperbole against him to be over the top.  

I'm sure he's an intelligent man, thrown into a tough situation.  He's made plenty of mistakees but he's also done some things well.  We all want the same thing here - and the next 5 weeks will be chock full of debate - mostly over 3 people and there will be a lot of noise on the side of each of them.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I went through my frustrated period last year.  I'm in the healing period now.

Maccagnan made some good FA signings in the past 10 days.  The trade up positions us either perfectly (if we covet Allen or Mayfield) or positions us better than any other NFL QB-needy team (if we get lucky and Darnold or Rosen drop).  I don't think any other GM could have played it better.

Also, notice recent Super Bowl history where it's becoming more and more possible to win a Championship with a not-so-elite traditional franchise quarterback.  In the last 6 years, we've seen Kaepernick, Wilson, Flacco, Newton, Manning (as ineffective old man), and Foles.   That's 50% of the quarterbacks appearing in the big game who aren't HOF caliber yet managed to eke through for that one magic year.

Point being, we know what we have now can't get us to the promised land but perhaps one of the top 4 in this year's draft can.

SAR I

27 minutes ago, Pennington said:

The Washington Redskins were 4-19 against teams that finished above .500. I am thrilled that he bailed us out by signing with Minnesota. I am also extremely happy that we traded up to the third pick and will be excited if we end up with any of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

fixed

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It could. 

/shrug

Mac has literally done almost NOTHING well except for the Richardson trade. The Fitz resigning the McClown resigning the drafting of Adams were all completely brain dead moves. Even the Leonard Williams drafting was dumb. 

But if we get a franchise QB we will be in a better situation.

I have no confidence in Bowles and Mac. Neither should still be here. But I am dumb, I tend to get excited despite the rational side of my brain.

I also believe all 4 of these guys are going to be franchise guys.

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I also believe all 4 of these guys are going to be franchise guys.

That would be pretty cool.

As I've said all along, they guys all have flashes of being one, to go alongside their massive bust potential flaws.

I like Mayfield, mostly because I like the idea of underdog with a chip on his shoulder who rah rah's some passion and effort.  That and his 70%+ completion percentage and best-amongst-college-QB  statistical production.  But even he has serious material drawbacks.

So yeah, I hope the one we take, probably (IMO today) Allen, turn out to be great.  Just feels like we've been here before.

Cousins wasn’t coming here, what, were we suppose to force him to come here? Sorry it doesn’t work like that. The man did everything in his power to land Cousins but you can’t make him sign a contract with the Jets over a true contender.

Macc filled holes with plan b and did it well. The guys he couldn’t get were guys that weren’t coming without a QB. That simple.

Teddy Bridgewater = Sanchez-esque? LOL at that point I was trying not to stop reading out of frustration. Bridgewater showed he was 10 times the QB in his two seasons playing. BTW he is only guaranteed 500K this year...sooo what’s the point and what’s the harm? 

Macc has to move up. Browns aren’t letting go of 1 and Giants either aren’t letting go of two or don’t want to trade with us. We got the next best thing. We did what we had to do in order to make sure the other divisional rivals don’t move before us. 

He has some draft picks that are pretty bad..not gonna lie..but this offseason has been executed just about as well as it could of been with the cards he was dealt. 

Its a steal if you obtain a franchise quaterback without using a first round pick.  They can be found but its very rare.  As a GM you need to take these shots.  Its dumb to get too hung up on Petty or Hack.  Hell, Hack might still amount to something for someone though thats hard to see now.  

Watson showed promise but he has done nothing yet.   Another injury and you might be calling him a bust.

I suspect that whoever, however we pick, you’ll be crying a river.  My suggestion is whoever we pick, regardless of all your “analysis”, be excited and happy that we may have a franchise quarterback.  Sports is supposed to be fun man.   We have a chance now to get a very good one. 

@Warfish There's no crying in Football, but lots of tears in this typical omniscient, JN-Armchair-GM'er rant.

Don't be such a toddler.  We're not "entitled" to get Cousins or any other FA we bid on.  It's not an auction, they get to decide where they go.

We can't trade to one or two in the draft if the owners of the picks don't want to trade. 

You should be rejoicing - picking third for a QB in this draft is infinitely better than picking 6th.  

Archived