Another athlete opinion: Phil Simms would take Josh Allen #1

jetstream23

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t know how you can’t like this guy. I realize it’s a highlight film but this guy has some serious potential. I would not have a problem with him wearing Jet Green # 17. Check it out.

Just now, MaxAF said:

I don’t know how you can’t like this guy. I realize it’s a highlight film but this guy has some serious potential. I would not have a problem with him wearing Jet Green # 17. Check it out.

Allen played very well at the senior bowl.  Everyone keeps whining about his completion percentage last year but Football is a team sport last I checked receivers need to get open and catch the ball.  Jay Cutler had a similarly low completion percentage at Vanderbilt playing with the keystone cops

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Highlight videos made Hackenberg look like Vin Diesel. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

A.  Everyone keeps whining about his completion percentage last year but Football is a team sport last I checked receivers need to get open and catch the ball.  J

How many fcking times are you gonna say this? 100? 10000000?

HIS COMPLETION PERCENTAGE DIDN'T CHANGE. 

Good supporting staff. Not good supporting staff. DIDN'T MATTER. SAME RESULTS. 

Can you read phil

Do you get it phil

can i explain better it phil.

HE.HAS.ACCURACY.ISSUES.

Thats not to say he's garbage and destined to suck. But... He-has-accuracy-issues. Not debateable.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I will admit, that is some freak sh*t.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

Yes its a highlight film but that is fun to watch. Allen moves really well for a big man, looks hard to take down, just looks very athletic. And obviously he has a big arm.

6 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's why Macc gets the big bucks from Woody Johnson - let's just hope he earns his paycheck come draft day.

Note that Heimerdinger was at Darnold's Pro Day.

Heimerdinger is the PRO Personnel Director.  Mac is the GM with a college focus.  He has someone who works for him scouting college players. 

The Jets have done much better with their Pro acquisitions than their college drafting.  Issue with the pro acquisitions has been converting the contracts right.  

There may have been a power shift here.  

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All the QBs coming out have some up sides and down sides Tom. Darnold struggled a bit this year but has great mechanics and throws a really nice ball. Rosen already has had shoulder surgery and concussions but I’d be thrilled if the Jets get him. Mayfield would be my 4th guy but he is a gutsy gamer. Just excited to see a talented QB squad coming to the draft and I hope for once in my lifetime the Jets pick a QB that can put some close games on his shoulders and come out on top. And I go back to the Namath days. It’s been a long time man.

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

All the QBs coming out have some up sides and down sides Tom. Darnold struggled a bit this year but has great mechanics and throws a really nice ball. Rosen already has had shoulder surgery and concussions but I’d be thrilled if the Jets get him. Mayfield would be my 4th guy but he is a gutsy gamer. Just excited to see a talented QB squad coming to the draft and I hope for once in my lifetime the Jets pick a QB that can put some close games on his shoulders and come out on top. And I go back to the Namath days. It’s been a long time man.

My friend, I’m with you. There are four QBs here, all of them with issues, and all of them with at least some degree of ability. It’d be nice for once to have the Jets fall into that guy. If they pick Allen, we’ll have to eat it and hope they eventually surround him with players and coaches that can work around his deficiencies where possible. I don’t think we have that kind of infrastructure right now, but maybe the next coach we hire (Harbaugh?) will have a clue. Like a McVay situation with Goff.

52 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Very true. 

When you watch Allen play he looks strong and can  move, reset himself, escape, shake off a defender and then watch Rosen, who looks like Don Knotts or Arnold Stang. 

47 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Very true. 

When you watch Allen play he looks strong and can  move, reset himself, escape, shake off a defender and then watch Rosen, who looks like Don Knotts or Arnold Stang. 

When you watch Allen, all of his positive plays come off of broken plays which, if that’s the criteria, Lamar Jackson should be the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

My friend, I’m with you. There are four QBs here, all of them with issues, and all of them with at least some degree of ability. It’d be nice for once to have the Jets fall into that guy. If they pick Allen, we’ll have to eat it and hope they eventually surround him with players and coaches that can work around his deficiencies where possible. I don’t think we have that kind of infrastructure right now, but maybe the next coach we hire (Harbaugh?) will have a clue. Like a McVay situation with Goff.

Yup. Just let the football gods smile on the Jets for once and let us have a top 10 QB. Please.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When you watch Allen, all of his positive plays come off of broken plays which, if that’s the criteria, Lamar Jackson should be the #1 pick.

He’s under pressure and creating. That will work great with the Jets O-Line. The fact that he throws a deep ball, real deep adds a dimension that Defenses have to cover.B)

On 3/20/2018 at 4:41 PM, Paradis said:

I'm not convinced they are.

Or at least they weren't.. which is why i referenced Tipping Point. Draft media has fallen in love with him since DJ and a couple others pumped his stock last summer. The notion eventually caught fire, and became a legit storyline.

There was literally 0/1000 people talking about Allen in the top 10 last year when he was draft eligible. Then boom. He started playing worse and his stock soars. Think about the logic there.... the media has been fondling his nuts for some time, but the people getting paid to do this have not budged on the "ehh.... project" mentality. At least not until the last the few weeks. 

That's how people like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker -- And even Tannehill end up in the top 10. FOMO.... FEAR OF MISSING OUT. We're all human. 

Allen was considered with Darnold and Rosen as the best last summer. There was a lot of press about him before the season.

21 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I don't know if it was really talked about very much pre-draft - but I certainly remember watching it in real time when Sanchez played for the Jets, scrambling out of the pocket with the ball waving around in just one hand and watching it get knocked loose when he was sacked - and everybody remembers his most infamous play - which I will not name.....but poor ball security & ball handling skills were quite obviously a problem for Sanchez when he played for the Jets and it was talked about on numerous occasions/game break-downs that I can distinctly remember.

I know ball security issues have definitely been brought up with Darnold already.....

it was definitely an issue w/ the Jets but not in college.

On 3/21/2018 at 1:46 PM, MaxAF said:

What I found most interesting about this highlight reel is his footwork (I know it's talked about a lot) but his footwork was basically non-existent....he dropped back like I would if I were playing touch football in the street.  No form whatsoever.  Does give me hope that he can figure that out.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

What I found most interesting about this highlight reel is his footwork (I know it's talked about a lot) but his footwork was basically non-existent....he dropped back like I would if I were playing touch football in the street.  No form whatsoever.  Does give me hope that he can figure that out.

His drop backs are fine.  Probably 2nd only to Rosen in this class actually.  It's when he sets his feet, particularly under pressure, where he gets sloppy.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

His drop backs are fine.  Probably 2nd only to Rosen in this class actually.  It's when he sets his feet, particularly under pressure, where he gets sloppy.

Hey Mogglez, what do you think is the deal with the jets and Allen?  Several people (eg LaCanfora, Allbright) claiming the jets love Allen (more so than Mayfield for sure and maybe even Rosen).

15 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Hey Mogglez, what do you think is the deal with the jets and Allen?  Several people (eg LaCanfora, Allbright) claiming the jets love Allen (more so than Mayfield for sure and maybe even Rosen).

Screenshot_20180321-181104~2.png

Posted this a couple of days ago.  Unfortunately, at this time, I know as much as you guys.

Personally, I don't believe that he's above Rosen at this time.  Saw this today in response to Allbright regarding that:

Screenshot_20180322-195227.png

Manish Mehta also posted a mailbag today stating that he's heard that we have it 1. Darnold 2. Rosen 3. Allen.

It's going to be a long, anxiety filled, couple of weeks leading up to the draft, at least for me.  If the Jets draft Allen, let alone draft him over Rosen, you guys probably won't be seeing much of me around here for a while. I cannot, and will not, support the decision to do that with blind Faith. 

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Posted this a couple of days ago.  Unfortunately, at this time, I know as much as you guys.

Personally, I don't believe that he's above Rosen at this time.  Saw this today in response to Allbright regarding that:

Manish Mehta also posted a mailbag today stating that he's heard that we have it 1. Darnold 2. Rosen 3. Allen.

You know what, he had no idea the jets were trading to 3.  So nobody really knows.  The jets have been scouting these guys all year.  Mayfield is coming in for a private workout.  

I still say the jets would not take allen at 3.  I think he's the media-created 3rd option when mayfield is really the guy the jets traded up for, assuming darnold would be taken top 2 and there was a good chance Rosen is gone.  I think the jets board is darnold, Rosen, mayfield. 

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

goes to show you what I know about QB dropbacks - just from watching that highlight real just looks like he's running backwards...not a clean drop back...But I guess that's why I'm not a scout!

Good to hear though.  

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You know what, he had no idea the jets were trading to 3.  So nobody really knows.  The jets have been scouting these guys all year.  Mayfield is coming in for a private workout.  

I still say the jets would not take allen at 3.  I think he's the media-created 3rd option when mayfield is really the guy the jets traded up for, assuming darnold would be taken top 2 and there was a good chance Rosen is gone.  I think the jets board is darnold, Rosen, mayfield. 

I agree tbqh.  I mean, I get some tidbits, but the end of the day, the only person who truly knows is Maccagnan, and we won't have those answers until the draft.

The interest in Allen seems genuine at first glance, but this is also the time of year where smokescreens really start coming out and the one thing I'm wondering right now is if the Jets might be trying to goad a team very high on Allen (Cardinals, Bills) into trading up to #2 (if the pick is truly for sale) so that Rosen can fall to us. 

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's going to be a long, anxiety filled, couple of weeks leading up to the draft, at least for me.  If the Jets draft Allen, let alone draft him over Rosen, you guys probably won't be seeing much of me around here for a while. I cannot, and will not, support the decision to do that with blind Faith. 

Thanks.   I also hope it is Rosen over Allen and that the Giants pick a non QB and don't trade (I think other teams would target Rosen too).

Archived