Another athlete opinion: Phil Simms would take Josh Allen #1

jetstream23

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It's funny you bring up Sanchez - one of the biggest knocks on Sanchez was his poor ball security and reckless ball handling skills - seems to be a theme with USC QB's because Darnold is getting the same knock stemming from a lot of fumbles & turnovers last season from what I've read & been listening to.

This is really the only thing about Darnold that gives me pause.

Yeah, it seems to be the bugaboo for all USC guys. Not sure why.  Man, if the browns were to go Saquon, would the Giants make the Darnold pick? Imagine having the Darnold/Rosen call fall into Mac's lap?!? I think I'd still rather have Rosen's ceiling, but Darnold has the higher floor for sure, and no concussion history to boot.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Yeah, it seems to be the bugaboo for all USC guys. Not sure why.  Man, if the browns were to go Saquon, would the Giants make the Darnold pick? Imagine having the Darnold/Rosen call fall into Mac's lap?!? I think I'd still rather have Rosen's ceiling, but Darnold has the higher floor for sure, and no concussion history to boot.

That's a tough call.....honestly, I don't know who I'd pick in that situation but I'm leaning towards Rosen.

21 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I remember Rex working him ( Sanchez) out before we drafted him and saying that he can make all the NFL throws. He had the tools. Problem was he regressed after those 1st few years. He could have been our franchise QB. You just never know.

How many QBs or other professionals “regress.”  Only the Jets can take a QB high, have him take you (or take him) to 2 AFCCGs, give him a big contract, and have him regress.  Unprecedented.  You have to think the organization is equally at fault.

That's a tough call.....honestly, I don't know who I'd pick in that situation but I'm leaning towards Rosen.

I think i'd try to entice the browns to trade back up from 4 to 3 in that case. I'd honestly be happy with either. 

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez. I don't recall the ball security issues being a thing pre draft. it may have been I just don't remember it. 

I don't know if it was really talked about very much pre-draft - but I certainly remember watching it in real time when Sanchez played for the Jets, scrambling out of the pocket with the ball waving around in just one hand and watching it get knocked loose when he was sacked - and everybody remembers his most infamous play - which I will not name.....but poor ball security & ball handling skills were quite obviously a problem for Sanchez when he played for the Jets and it was talked about on numerous occasions/game break-downs that I can distinctly remember.

I know ball security issues have definitely been brought up with Darnold already.....

3 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I think i'd try to entice the browns to trade back up from 4 to 3 in that case. I'd honestly be happy with either. 

That will never happen - you can bet the farm on that.

Cleveland would gain nothing by moving up from 4 to 3 - and they'd be throwing away draft picks for no reason.

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

My question is whether the picking process is “who do we really think is going to be the best NFL QB for the Jets” vs. who will be the best CYA pick.  

With these guys, I think they only know how to do the latter.

Flacco, Roethisberger, Vick-those were picks with some nerve.  

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would almost expect this to happen.

That's a tough pick (Darnold or Rosen) - and a make or break decision for Mac's Jets career that could also potentially have a detrimental effect on any other NFL front office opportunity he might be considered for down the road if he makes the wrong decision.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Sanchez. I don't recall the ball security issues being a thing pre draft. it may have been I just don't remember it. 

They're weren't any. My wife went to USC and we watch a ton of their games. The only knock on Sanchez was , outside of the Arizona disaster when he was a Soph., was that he only actually played (started) 1 year at Troy. IMO and Pete Carroll's he needed to stay in school for his senior year.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

How many QBs or other professionals “regress.”  Only the Jets can take a QB high, have him take you (or take him) to 2 AFCCGs, give him a big contract, and have him regress.  Unprecedented.  You have to think the organization is equally at fault.

The team regressed as all of the veteran leadership brought in (mostly) under Mangini (Damien Woody, Tony Richardson, Thomas Jones, Faneca, Cotchery, Brad Smith, Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis) retired or left and were replaced by me-first scumbags Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, Antonio Cromartie and Lito Sheppard. Sanchez was a goof ball Cali dude who was too sensitive and Rex decided to fill the roster with pieces of human sh*t that were thrown off of other teams for being psychopaths. No young QB would have survived in a huddle with Mason, Holmes, and Burress. Rex is the reason the Jets are, and will be, a bottom five team in the league for the foreseeable future. Before anyone says Idzik! or Maccagnan!, be aware that the reason the Jets get stuck with back-benchers like them is because Rex dragged the franchise back down to Kotite levels of disfunction. Trash begets trash, and that’s where we are now.

Don't underestimate Tanny in all that. His utter disinterest in the offense aside, Rex is still the best defensive schemer I've ever seen. Tanny got rid of a LOT of useful pieces and brought in some good...but a lot of crap. Just look at what he's done to make the goldfish even worse. They're in cap hell for the foreseeable future.

9 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's a tough pick (Darnold or Rosen) - and a make or break decision for Mac's Jets career that could also potentially effect any other NFL front office opportunity he would be considered for down the road.

I’d think Macc has to know he’s juuuuuuuust about finished as a GM, and that fact reached a point of certainty when Kirk Cousins laughed him off. If God were so kind as to deliver Macc the choice between Darnold or Rosen, I don’t think he could screw that up, as both seem to be equally legitimate prospects and easily defensible options. But Allen over Rosen would be catastrophic for him, especially if Allen sits in 2018, as expected. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d think Macc has to know he’s juuuuuuuust about finished as a GM, and that fact reached a point of certainty when Kirk Cousins laughed him off. If God were so kind as to deliver Macc the choice between Darnold or Rosen, I don’t think he could screw that up, as both seem to be equally legitimate prospects and easily defensible options. But Allen over Rosen would be catastrophic for him, especially if Allen sits in 2018, as expected. 

That's why Macc gets the big bucks from Woody Johnson - let's just hope he earns his paycheck come draft day.

That's why Macc gets the big bucks from Woody Johnson - let's just hope he earns his paycheck come draft day.

Hopefully he’s keeping those bucks in a suitcase in a storage locker at the airport so he can grab it on his way out of the country after drafting Josh Allen 

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

There was literally 0/1000 people talking about Allen in the top 10 last year when he was draft eligible. Then boom. He started playing worse and his stock soars. Think about the logic there.... the media has been fondling his nuts for some time, but the people getting paid to do this have not budged on the "ehh.... project" mentality. At least not until the last the few weeks. 

He declared he was returning in January.  Had he entered he would have definitely risen up the draft boards during the process.  I remember him being the talk of the Combine last year even though he wasn't in the draft.  And MANY claiming he the #1 pick in this year's draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708976-josh-allen-may-be-a-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-and-the-franchise-qb-your-team-needs

May 11, 2017

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/05/16/josh-allen-wyoming-cowboys-2018-nfl-draft

May 16, 2017

May 21, 2017
May 26, 2017
January 2, 2017
April 25, 2017

19 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Phil Simms cited Mark Sanchez's footwork as the best he had ever seen in a college athlete.

Was he wrong ? Possibly not for Dancing with the Stars. 

This is ignorant.  Mark Sanchez had great footwork.  The fact that he wasn't good at other aspects of quarterbacking doesn't diminish that in anyway.

14 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

... and Josh Allen will join the long line of non power 5 conference QBs who underperform in their final year against not very good teams who go on to have productive NFL careers.

Is that line as long as undersized Spread QBs who won the Heisman?

6 minutes ago, legler82 said:

This is ignorant.  Mark Sanchez had great footwork.  The fact that he wasn't good at other aspects of quarterbacking doesn't diminish that in anyway.

Lighten up Francis, bad humor is essential to lighten the more stressful moments of bowel movements.

39 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Is that line as long as undersized Spread QBs who won the Heisman?

Mayfield would be the first in his line. Allen would have lots of company in his line though.

As to the OP and the weight to be placed on the opinion of Phill Simms, I just saw Ryan Clark's list of the top 5 QB's. He had Mayfield as #1 and Rudolph as #5. Allen was not on his list.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Mayfield would be the first in his line. Allen would have lots of company in his line though.

As to the OP and the weight to be placed on the opinion of Phill Simms, I just saw Ryan Clark's list of the top 5 QB's. He had Mayfield as #1 and Rudolph as #5. Allen was not on his list.

So there is a long line of "non power 5 conference QBs who underperform in their final year against not very good teams who go on to have productive NFL careers"?

3 hours ago, legler82 said:

Hey thanks for coming in after i finished. Heads up; I didn't pull out.

AGAIN -- all your links are AFTER THE 2017 DRAFT.  Maybe you want to link me last weeks Kiper mock while you're at it? 

Guy thinks just cause you got google you got all the answers. Come at me bro'... Josh Allen was not, not not not being discussed as a potential top 10 pick going into the 2017 draft. Then he played worse and catapulted. Some of this is due to FOMO/tipping point behavior. 

Deal with it, yo! 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hopefully he’s keeping those bucks in a suitcase in a storage locker at the airport so he can grab it on his way out of the country after drafting Josh Allen 

Thank you once again Mr. Positive. :rolleyes:

Archived