Browns forums: at least half the fans want mayfield

nico002

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people have questioned whether Darnold's fumbles and his somewhat erratic playing style can be corrected at the next level.  In terms of pure readiness to step in on Day 1 (which is only one measure/criteria) the pecking order seems to be...

1. Rosen - Most pro ready

2. Mayfield - Good decision-maker, accurate, ready for the speed of the NFL game

3. Darnold - Big guy, big arm w/ some ball security and recklessness concerns

4. Allen - Big guy, big arm w/ some footwork issues, accuracy concerns and poor decisions at times (may trust his arm too much)

I think the biggest question the evaluators and NFL teams need to answer is whether they can correct whatever issue(s) the guy they select has.  If you truly believe that Josh Allen was a victim of a poor supporting cast and that an offseason of QB guru camp can improve his footwork then you absolutely take him at #1.  But was his decision-making (throwing into double coverage, not throwing the ball away at times when there was no play there, etc.) caused by him feeling the need to do too much and try to win every play because that's what Wyoming needed, or is that just who he is?

This is what the draft comes down to.  Everyone of these guys is talented.  Everyone of them has at least one issue.

I won’t tell anyone who watches film that they’re wrong.  It’s their evaluation.  With that said it’s very hard to watch the film and not like mayfield but there are so many guys with inflated stats from these college systems that don’t pan out. Whoever takes mayfield will have to be a creative coordinator that incorporates some of mayfields college offense into their own system.  If you don’t have a coordinator that’s willing to do that the. You can’t take him.  All the other QBs are a better fit for a traditional style nfl system.  That’s why I prefer Allen over Mayfield for the Jets. 

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Some people have questioned whether Darnold's fumbles and his somewhat erratic playing style can be corrected at the next level.  In terms of pure readiness to step in on Day 1 (which is only one measure/criteria) the pecking order seems to be...

1. Rosen - Most pro ready

2. Mayfield - Good decision-maker, accurate, ready for the speed of the NFL game

3. Darnold - Big guy, big arm w/ some ball security and recklessness concerns

4. Allen - Big guy, big arm w/ some footwork issues, accuracy concerns and poor decisions at times (may trust his arm too much)

I think the biggest question the evaluators and NFL teams need to answer is whether they can correct whatever issue(s) the guy they select has.  If you truly believe that Josh Allen was a victim of a poor supporting cast and that an offseason of QB guru camp can improve his footwork then you absolutely take him at #1.  But was his decision-making (throwing into double coverage, not throwing the ball away at times when there was no play there, etc.) caused by him feeling the need to do too much and try to win every play because that's what Wyoming needed, or is that just who he is?

This is what the draft comes down to.  Everyone of these guys is talented.  Everyone of them has at least one issue.

how many college football do you watch? not being a dick...serious question. out of the big QB prospects no one made more poor decisions then Darnold. I find it funny how with Darnold the ****-ups are, he tries too hard...and with Allen it's, he is mistake prone with accuracy issues.

Another thing is, Rosen is the only guy in this class without mechanics issues, Darnolds release is long and downright ugly, Mayfield has kind of a hitch and starts to abandones his mechanics in the pocket way too early at times. None of them have great mechanics (except Rosen) lets not make it seem like Allen is the only guy that needs to work with a good QB coach.

As i've said in the past, have no clue if Allen is going to be good or awful....i just know enough to know that i dont know. you have to either trust the FO, or hope they get fired when and if they **** it up.

14 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Mayfield seems to be the most popular QB choice among all fans, and Allen the lowest. Ironically Vets, and experts have that switched around, it's interesting to see.

This is a very interesting point - when listening to sports radio, watching TV or reading articles - It's Allen, Darnold, Rosen (in multiple orders) and Mayfield is an afterthought - Like he's not worthy of the 3rd (yet somehow he wouild be worthy of the 6th, stupid)

While Allen, most fans don't want to go near him -  but the talking heads all seem to LOVE him.

Personally I think it's a CYO from the "professionals" - it's less of a risk to go out on a limb with an athletic freak (even if he stinks) than hype a guy 2" shorter than prototypical.

My only concern is will Mac fall into the same trap. 

29 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Super interesting to see many browns fans lr preferring mayfield over the other QBs. 

Seem very skeptical of darnold, totally different perception than here where I think everyone agrees that it’s 

darnold

rosen

allen 

Not everyone.  I'll take Mayfield

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Fans want flag planting crouch grabbing arrogant average talented QB, shocking.  Hopefully the Jets see through his garbage.

Or want a smarter qb Who threw almost 3 times as many yards as Allen last yr with back to back 70% passes complicated vs Allen’s back to back  57% .

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a very interesting point - when listening to sports radio, watching TV or reading articles - It's Allen, Darnold, Rosen (in multiple orders) and Mayfield is an afterthought - Like he's not worthy of the 3rd (yet somehow he wouild be worthy of the 6th, stupid)

While Allen, most fans don't want to go near him -  but the talking heads all seem to LOVE him.

Personally I think it's a CYO from the "professionals" - it's less of a risk to go out on a limb with an athletic freak (even if he stinks) than hype a guy 2" shorter than prototypical.

My only concern is will Mac fall into the same trap. 

It's not just 2" shorter than prototypical.  Mayfield measured at 6' 5/8" and 215 lbs at the Combine, with small hands of 9 1/4 inches.  He's smaller than some RBs. Being Jets-centric, he'll be one of the smallest players on offense on the team.  What happens when a grown ass man DL grabs him?

15 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

how many college football do you watch? not being a dick...serious question. out of the big QB prospects no one made more poor decisions then Darnold. I find it funny how with Darnold the ****-ups are, he tries too hard...and with Allen it's, he is mistake prone with accuracy issues.

Another thing is, Rosen is the only guy in this class without mechanics issues, Darnolds release is long and downright ugly, Mayfield has kind of a hitch and starts to abandones his mechanics in the pocket way too early at times. None of them have great mechanics (except Rosen) lets not make it seem like Allen is the only guy that needs to work with a good QB coach.

As i've said in the past, have no clue if Allen is going to be good or awful....i just know enough to know that i dont know. you have to either trust the FO, or hope they get fired when and if they **** it up.

again there is no perfect prospect, but here is a good video on Darnolds mechanics

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

It's not just 2" shorter than prototypical.  Mayfield measured at 6' 5/8" and 215 lbs at the Combine, with small hands of 9 1/4 inches.  He's smaller than some RBs. Being Jets-centric, he'll be one of the smallest players on offense on the team.  What happens when a grown ass man DL grabs hiem?

This is a good point.  If a QB can't stay on the field then he's not of any use to a team.  Based on this alone, I feel like Darnold and Allen are going to be the top 2 QBs taken.  Rosen seems to be the most polished passer but it does seem questionable that he can stay healthy.  I'm fine with any of the 3.  This is what Macc is paid for.  And supposedly the Jets have been scouting all the top QBs all of last season.  Like that was the plan going into last year (basically they knew they'd probably be no good and they wanted to scout top tier college QBs)

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is a good point.  If a QB can't stay on the field then he's not of any use to a team.  Based on this alone, I feel like Darnold and Allen are going to be the top 2 QBs taken.  Rosen seems to be the most polished passer but it does seem questionable that he can stay healthy.  I'm fine with any of the 3.  This is what Macc is paid for.  And supposedly the Jets have been scouting all the top QBs all of last season.  Like that was the plan going into last year (basically they knew they'd probably be no good and they wanted to scout top tier college QBs)

mayfield should be drafted where johnny manzel and tebow WERE drafted. 20-30 is where you take a shot at a smallish QB or project that you can build your system around. you can argue Allen belongs in the 10-15 range based on the fact that he has elite tools but also needs development.

20 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Or want a smarter qb Who threw almost 3 times as many yards as Allen last yr with back to back 70% passes complicated vs Allen’s back to back  57% .

Yes 2 foot shovel passes for 30 yards 5x a game to inflate those comp% a yards.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd be thrilled if Darnold fell to #3 and the Jets took him.

so would i, but the point i am making is that people give Darnold a pass for the same things they are killing Allen on. They all need to work at it once they are in the league. Darnold and Allen are the two guys with a spectacular skillset, Rosen is the most complete (thinking Kirk Cousins type), and Mayfield is a guy who has had to prove people wrong at every level...and will try to continue to do so in the NFL.

whether it's right or wrong, the top of the draft always turns out to be the player with the most upside and the word upside often means world-class physical traits

internez folks with no skin in the game can have big balls for Baker Mayfield but would you bet your job on it? Your ability to pay a mortgage? 

besides the height and system concerns, he's already been arrested once for DandD (the youtube is sad "IM DONE ARE YOU KiDDING ME?! *cries*).

He's currently got a documentary crew following him around.  He donned a white headband to pro day, like he was going to fight in the Long Beach Karate Championships. Baker Mayfield is the reality show hot mess America wants to watch Joel McCale make fun of when he's eating a cheeseburger off the floor.

look I want him too. it will be great for TMZ i mean the NFL. but he's not the guy Mac bets the bank on. You don't trade up to 3 for a guy who will be there at 6. RSJ said it the other day he falls out of the top ten, agree. Floor is middle of the round to Arizona or some such windswept locale. 

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Super interesting to see many browns fans lr preferring mayfield over the other QBs. 

Seem very skeptical of darnold, totally different perception than here where I think everyone agrees that it’s 

darnold

rosen

allen 

no not everyone agrees......I think darnold will bust

Rosen

Mayfield

Darnold

Allen

Archived