NFL Scouts' Perception Of Baker Mayfield

TuscanyTile2

NFL Scouts' Perception Of Baker Mayfield  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think NFL scouts generally think that Baker Mayfield is the clear #4 of the top 4 QBs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/2018 at 03:59 AM

It's my feeling that NFL scouts generally view Baker Mayfield as a cut below the other 3 QBs and that he's the clear #4 of the top 4 QBs (Darnold, Allen, Rosen).  From what you've heard/read, do you get the same impression?

For the record, I'm asking this because I want to look back after the draft and see how accurate we were in judging this type of stuff.  It's interesting to me how quickly perspectives change so I'd like to kind of capture a snapshot of where the forum is at right now.

That’s true from what I’m hearing. I’ve heard multiple podcasts and radio interviews that indicate Mayfield is #4. I listen to so many podcasts that it’s cloudy who has said what so I wish I could site specific examples but I can’t. A few analysts liked mayfield more than Allen but It it seems like 75% to 25% Allen over Mayfield. 

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's my feeling that NFL scouts generally view Baker Mayfield as a cut below the other 3 QBs and that he's the clear #4 of the top 4 QBs (Darnold, Allen, Rosen).  From what you've heard/read, do you get the same impression?

For the record, I'm asking this because I want to look back after the draft and see how accurate we were in judging this type of stuff.  It's interesting to me how quickly perspectives change so I'd like to kind of capture a snapshot of where the forum is at right now.

Every fleeting thought in your mind does not need to be its own thread.  

Yes, what I've read points to the talent evaluators thinking Mayfield is a notch below Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Mayfield is the "popular" pick because fans know him.  It's like a popular movie with horrible reviews.

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

absolutely. too many minuses to be a top 3 pick.

- system QB

- short

- top 3 teams are bad weather teams

- a so so athlete...ran like a 4.8 at the combine which is average

- needs to work on his mechanics some

now, he has a ton of positive traits...but i am not sure there has ever been a QB drafted top 10 with those negatives (esp height/size). I can think of Vick, Wilson, and Brees. Vick was the only high pick and he had a brett favre arm with chris johnson legs (and what turned out to be about a 50% of functioning brain).

16 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The most important question is what do the Jets think, please do tell if you know lol.

This late in the game I'm usually in the dark lol. This is hush-hush time lol, as teams start to really put together their position rankings and boards.  Also begins the #SmokescreenSZN.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I thought you were on the Baker Bus lol?

I am lol, I mean I think it's nuts to not have him high up as a prospect because he doesn't have the prototypical tools.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Yes, what I've read points to the talent evaluators thinking Mayfield is a notch below Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Mayfield is the "popular" pick because fans know him.  It's like a popular movie with horrible reviews.

He's also had the best college career.

He posted the highest grade in the nation throwing from both a clean pocket and pressured pocket.

He had a 139.9 passer rating when blitzed. Also had the best adjusted completion percentage on deep passes in the country.

He's a big name because of some of the off the field stuff and the school he played for but he's a legit talent. The play on the field is there with him. If he was a little taller I don't think people would automatically be ranking him 4th in this group.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This late in the game I'm usually in the dark lol. This is hush-hush time lol, as teams start to really put together their position rankings and boards.  Also begins the #SmokescreenSZN.

I am lol, I mean I think it's nuts to not have him high up as a prospect because he doesn't have the prototypical tools.

Any news you can tell us, I'd love to hear.  I'm sure there's misdirection and teams are probably also changing their minds too.  But if you do hear anything that you feel like you can pass along, again I'd love to hear it.

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

absolutely. too many minuses to be a top 3 pick.

- system QB

- short

- top 3 teams are bad weather teams

- a so so athlete...ran like a 4.8 at the combine which is average

- needs to work on his mechanics some

now, he has a ton of positive traits...but i am not sure there has ever been a QB drafted top 10 with those negatives (esp height). I can think of Vick, Wilson, and Brees. Vick was the only high pick and he had a brett favre arm with chris johnson legs (and what turned out to be about a 50% of functioning brain).

Except other than height none of those traits are true...

He's not a system QB - at least no more than any other QB - he moves, he stays in the pocket, he has multiple reads etc.

What does the weather have to do with anything? his arm is big - stronger than Rosen and every other college prospect except Allen

He's plenty athletic - He's faster than both Rosen and Darnold..

Virtually every QB coming out of college has to work on their mechanics.  Him less so than most - less than Allen and Darnold.

I think Baker Mayfield is better than all of them and Rosen is a close second. There seems to be this Manziel perception of Mayfield due to his height and firey personality and I don't think that's a fair assessment . In fact I think Mayfield is everything Manziel should have turned out to be but Manziel is an idiot and really couldn't care less what anyone thinks of him 

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

No clue what the so called "experts" think of this kid, but I wonder if he were e couple of inches taller, would he still  be ranked at #4?

If Rosen had Allen's size/strength, he'd almost certainly be the consensus #1.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Except other than height none of those traits are true...

He's not a system QB - at least no more than any other QB - he moves, he stays in the pocket, he has multiple reads etc.

What does the weather have to do with anything? his arm is big - stronger than Rosen and every other college prospect except Allen

He's plenty athletic - He's faster than both Rosen and Darnold..

Virtually every QB coming out of college has to work on their mechanics.  Him less so than most - less than Allen and Darnold.

this is very wrong.

- BIG12 puts out guys with huge numbers every year. his numbers are a product of the system no doubt. mason rudolph threw for 5000 yards! Bradford through 50 TD's - dont kid yourself the style of offense he came from absolute plays against him

- weather has everything to do with it, and its not just throwing, its also holding on to the football with his smallish hands. also he has the 4th strongest arm between the top 4 prospects (him, allen, darnold, rosen)...never mind all of college football (i dont even know how you would knot that)

- he is not "very athletic", he is very competetive and athletic by college standards. NFL has LB that run a 4'3 40, they will eat his lunch on one of his scrambles

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

yep, he's 3 inches shorter.  the nfl scouts all love those 6-4, 6-5 guys for qb so they can more easily throw over dlinemen.  but russel wilson and drew brees have both been very successful.  even joe willie wasn't much over 6 ft.

For what it's worth ( currently barely a nickel ) Pro Football Focus have Baker Mayfield rated the highest qb in the 2018 draft by a significant margin. These are the same good people who gave Chrishtian Hackenberg an undraftable grade... we all know how laughable that appraisal was/

After Mayfield, PFF have a Darnold, Rosen and of course, finally...the other Josh.

12 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

For what it's worth ( currently barely a nickel ) Pro Football Focus have Baker Mayfield rated the highest qb in the 2018 draft by a significant margin. These are the same good people who gave Chrishtian Hackenberg an undraftable grade... we all know how laughable that appraisal was/

After Mayfield, PFF have a Darnold, Rosen and of course, finally...the other Josh.

u do know Cody Kessler has the second highest grade from them for QB's....

17OS7-Mayfield-Grades-1024x576.jpg

35 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

this is very wrong.

- BIG12 puts out guys with huge numbers every year. his numbers are a product of the system no doubt. mason rudolph threw for 5000 yards! Bradford through 50 TD's - dont kid yourself the style of offense he came from absolute plays against him

- weather has everything to do with it, and its not just throwing, its also holding on to the football with his smallish hands. also he has the 4th strongest arm between the top 4 prospects (him, allen, darnold, rosen)...never mind all of college football (i dont even know how you would knot that)

- he is not "very athletic", he is very competetive and athletic by college standards. NFL has LB that run a 4'3 40, they will eat his lunch on one of his scrambles

So, because he put up good numbers he can't be good.  I don't like him for his numbers but his skill-set.

the hands thing is ridiculous - do you really believe he'll be fumbling all over the place when he's in cold weather.  silly...

As for athletic, I'm not sure your point - he's faster than Rosen and Darnol - that's not a problem for them but only him?

Arm strenght...see link below...

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, because he put up good numbers he can't be good.  I don't like him for his numbers but his skill-set.

the hands thing is ridiculous - do you really believe he'll be fumbling all over the place when he's in cold weather.  silly...

As for athletic, I'm not sure your point - he's faster than Rosen and Darnol - that's not a problem for them but only him?

Arm strenght...see link below...

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-2018-NFL-Combine/10241/dh/

rosen and darnold are not constantly running for their life!! yeeeesh

So Mayfield is an excellent system QB - so let's draft him and design a system for him where he can Excel. Brady is a system QB. He and Belicheck design their own system and yeah it works. Mayfield is the most accurate QB in this draft and he excels under pressure. Mayfield is in reality the best QB in the draft right now. He doesn't have the most upside because of his height but he is the best. Put Darnold or Rosen in his place and do u think they would of put up the numbers he did and won as many games as he did. I say they would not have. Also who is more likely to have a longer NFL career? A tall immobile sitting duck like Rosen or a quicker more agile Mayfield? I think it's a no brainier. Rosen is a gamble. Mayfield is more of a sure thing.

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

u do know Cody Kessler has the second highest grade from them for QB's....

17OS7-Mayfield-Grades-1024x576.jpg

My point is not that PFF were right once but rather that all scouts are wrong as much as they are right. How the scouts/media perceive Baker Mayfield  be it Jeremiah, Brooks, Maycock etc compared to other qbs in the draft is no indication of Mayfield's future success or failure. 

3 hours ago, Gangrene said:

They also, forget his name, said that Mayfield would be the first player overall in the draft on NFLN.

8 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

My point is not that PFF were right once but rather that all scouts are wrong as much as they are right. How the scouts/media perceive Baker Mayfield  be it Jeremiah, Brooks, Maycock etc compared to other qbs in the draft is no indication of Mayfield's future success or failure. 

i agree with that...its a crap shoot...Allen could be as good or as bad as anyone else.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I’ll never understand how Jets fans can hold these two thoughts in their head at the same time without having their skulls shatter down the middle—

1. Quotes from “scouts” regarding prospects are especially valuable.

2. Long-time scout Mike Maccagnan built this Jets team.

Yes, they do view him as a clear tick below the top 3 QB's and it's all based on his lack of physical size and a view very minor red flags off the field.

I think it's stupid. Mac should select Mayfield at 3 and run like he just stole him. As far as I'm concerned, he's the best QB coming out in this draft. Let's see how much his height matters 3 years down the road.

Archived