Anyone Else Feeling Schitzo ??

Dunnie

Last year I was all about Darnold ... Watching all the UCLA and SC games this year I switched to wanting Rosen ... But recently after telling myself I would never considered.him ... I find myself wanting us to take freaking Mayfield. I think I will revert to wanting Rosen we eventually .... His mechanics are so far beyond everyone else.

I'm just being honest ... Anyone else having this issue ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Last year I was all about Darnold ... Watching all the UCLA and SC games this year I switched to wanting Rosen ... But recently after telling myself I would never considered.him ... I find myself wanting us to take freaking Mayfield. I think I will revert to wanting Rosen we eventually .... His mechanics are so far beyond everyone else.

What you really want is for the draft to be over.

Darnold has been my 1st choice since last year, still is.

Rosen has been my 2nd choice since day one, no change.

I am softening my hate for Allen as a pick.

I did not like mayfield at all, softened a bit but feel I have come to my senses by not thinking he is near the other three now.

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I was in the same boat as you.  I instantly became a Mayfield fan as soon as he planted that flag in the O of OSU's stadium.  I just don't want Allen at this point, and its not even because I don't lie him, because I do.  I just don't want a "project " QB

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I did not like mayfield at all, softened a bit but feel I have come to my senses by not thinking he is near the other three now.

Rosen has been my 1st choice slightly ahead of 

Darnold my 2nd choice, mostly due to the early season play fumbles etc...

I have only grown more disliking to Allen, probably because Rich Eisen, Mayock and other combine reporters and senior bowl reporters are on his d!ck because he has a strong arm, I mean wow look at that thing.... but they then say he is horribly inacurate and inconsistent which is true and has been true every season for him. Also the "well he is working with Jordan Palmer on his footwork and getting more accurate. Working with Palmer is overrated, I mean see example A: Hackenberg. Hack has worked with him every year and is still hot garbage. Also take into consideration that once games start and "bullets are flying" all this "changing of footwork" is going to go out the window it almost always does. It is easy to improve on 1 thing when that is all you are concentrating on, but once there is pressure you are going to revert to your natural tendencies. Another think... pay more attention to tape than the damn against air workouts. Allen is not an anticipatory thrower, he is a see it and fire it thrower because of his god given gift. This is my major concern with him. his completion % is not good against low completition, it gets worse against decent competition. What do you think is going to happen when top quality players and defensive schemes are on the field. I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden be a 60+% completion guy. These are the reasons I do not want the JETS touching this kid, oh yeah, there is also the "deer in headlights" look he gets when facing tougher teams or pressure situations.

Mayfield... I love his tenacity, moxy, fiery personality... i don't know that I would have loved picking him at 6, don't like the idea at 3.... I could have lived with it at 6, so I guess I could live with it at 3. but i would say between Allen and Mayfield I'd take mayfield. 

2 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

QB Prospect Rankings IMO

1.  Darnold always was and still is the only QB in this draft with elite potential.   Can start day 1. NFL Comparison: Matt Stafford.

2.  Baker Mayfield has all the intangibles but lacks everywhere else.  He is Doug Flutie with a much weaker arm or Drew Brees with a much slower release.  He is NOT Russel Wilson.

3. Josh Allen is a beast of a raw talent.  Quick release with a cannon of an arm but poor accuracy and needs an Evelyn Woods course in how to read a defense.  With fingers crossed and a few years of intense classroom and on the job teaching he could become Andrew Luck, but more likely Zach Mettenberger.

4.  Josh Rosen - he will have a smirk on his face and a cavalier attitude whether he wins or throws 5 pick 6's.  Nothing will ever be his fault.  Worst of all, he will miss time after each sack.  Very smart, polished mechanics and confident.    NFL comps:  Chris Simms with a brain, A selfish version Chad Pennington with an arm.

Many Jets fans are going to go back and forth.  Some are locked in on one prospect.

We all want them to pick the right guy for once and set the wheels in motion to dominate the AFCE for a decade... and finally win a Super Bowl since most of us weren't alive or old enough to remember 1969.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Mayfield is the girl that you find yourself falling in love with unexpectedly, but then you finally get in her pants, and find out she has a penis.

I'll say this, I've never been so uncertain about a group of prospects as I am with this group of QB's.

I could easily see Mason Rudolph becoming the best of the group and Darnold being an enormous bust.  Or Lamar Jackson becoming a monster play maker while Baker Mayfield is a career back up.

That's how all over the map I am on this.  

The only one I feel slightly good about is Rosen and even that feeling isnt all that strong. 

I'm trying not to get too deep into the analysis because 1) the Jets will likely disappoint me and 2) I'd rather not spend the hours to watch game cutups online to feel like my opinion is worth posting. That said it's less painful to predict what the Jets will do than decide what I want them to do.

There are several things I think you want to take into account here. 

Bates - Runs a West Coast system. Theoretically accuracy should be important (negative for Allen) and a quick release should be as well (negative for Darnold). Has had a lot of success with a scattershot quarterback in Cutler (maybe offsets the Allen negative - there's some overlap there). Really smart guy and a hard worker, will likely excel with someone he can push (think this is pro Rosen, not sure on the other guys, we'll see how Wonderlics go and I have no idea what the whiteboard sessions were like but imagine that will be key). I think part of the move up is a serious belief in Bates' ability to develop someone and feel his take should have a lot of weight.

Maccagnan - Seems to value arm talent and love of football above all else. Favorable for Allen, but honestly I think all four of these dudes have a lot of arm talent. I'm not positive that we can really differentiate there. I also don't know if I totally buy into the needs a tall quarterback thing. Petty is what, 6'3? Fine size but he's not exactly Yao Ming. I tend to think 6'4+ for tall quarterbacks.

Johnson - I'd love to be able to put this idea to bed but I have to wonder if it's possible he nixes Rosen.

McCown/Bridgewater/Bowles - At this point the Jets have two quarterbacks who have started in the NFL and appear to be capable of potentially starting this year. Both quarterbacks have reputations for being outstanding teammates, and one can be sold as a potential "future" option since he's 25. This to me feels like a situation where they do not want to have to rush a quarterback, and certainly want to have some positive examples of how to be a pro in the locker room. Hard to tell if that's because it's going to be a raw guy they want to sit (Allen), someone who's had issues they want to reel in a little (Mayfield), a bright guy who needs to learn how to be a pro (Rosen), or...honestly I can't think of anything with Darnold. Maybe they just don't want a rookie starting.

The move up to 3 - I think there are a few things here. They have to like three quarterbacks. Absolutely have to. Especially since they overpaid for 3. Also have to believe the Giants are in play to take one at 2 since they were unwilling to take an overpay for that pick. And I also think they didn't like 4 quarterbacks, otherwise why not give up a little less and overpay for 4. I'm sure the Browns would have been open for a small drop to 6 and the cost would have been less prohibitive.

To me, the most points to Allen. It's always been the most obvious Jets pick and I think if Maccagnan gets any excuse he'll fall in love with the arm talent (which is absurd) and trust Bates to get the most out of him. He can sit for a year, work on his mechanics, and learn from the two rookies. And honestly, I'm fine with that. It's a huge gamble and not my preference, but if Allen works out he has a chance to be absolutely elite and if he doesn't then we start fresh with a new coach/GM.

I also think Rosen makes a ton of sense and he's becoming my favorite. Love the idea of a hyper intelligent guy who needs to be challenged and has excellent mechanics pairing up with a hyper intelligent offensive coordinator in Bates. The injury stuff concerns me and the him starting his career off well and fading due to injuries feels like something that would happen to the Jets.

Mayfield is an interesting one - curious if he and Bates would butt heads or get along well. The beauty and danger of Mayfield is that I think he's pretty close to a finished product. Which is fine as he was tremendous in college and it's kind of nice to know off the bat. But the younger kids I could see struggling and then growing, Mayfield I think either steps in and translates off the bat or is a disaster. He's the only one I could see Bowles starting immediately which is most of why I think it'll be one of the other three with the QB signings.

Darnold is the most confusing honestly. Lots of natural talent, anticipatory throws, all that good stuff, and then he turned the ball over a ton this year. I actually see a lot of overlap between him and Jameis Winston in terms of strengths/weaknesses and college career progression. Hard to get a read on where he actually falls but you don't make those kinds of throws he made last year without having a great natural feel for the position. I don't love the slow-ish release. I could see him making sense to sit for a year, make sure the trying to do too much gets out of his system, and try to tighten up that release a little. The one thing in his favor from a Jets standpoint is Maccagnan likes digging up old tape (Hackenberg) and obviously Darnold's sophomore year was very good. I have a feeling he's very live to get picked by the Jets if he's there.

One silly wrinkle I'd like to throw in is Lamar Jackson. Elite athlete with a great arm who a lot of smart guys feel has a good pocket presence and ability to make anticipatory throws. He gets lost in these discussions and honestly I don't have a great feel for whether or not he belongs in them - but some smart people think he does. Maccagnan, in my opinion, likes to try to identify and exploit areas where things slip through the cracks and go counter to trends in order to attempt to get better value. A lot of the one year reclamation project contracts, Hackenberg who was (incorrectly) viewed as a #1 overall type talent all the way in the second round. A guy like Jackson with physical talent reminiscent of Vick and some natural QB skills...all of a sudden can be locked up at #3? I don't think it's the case but Maccagnan has had way different evaluations than most before and RGIII worked in the Shanahan offense for a bit. I don't think this is the guy but weirder things have happened.

At the end of the day I wanted a quarterback - and all indications are we'll get one. Then just root like crazy for the guy they take. It'll be way too exhausting otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Mayfield is the girl that you find yourself falling in love with unexpectedly, but then you finally get in her pants, and find out she has a penis.

Good analogy but that would mean he's grabbing his vagina on the sidelines and that's weird when you think about it:

Image result for mayfield crotch grab gif

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Don't worry, you'll feel different in a week. :D

And then have a different opinion the week after that.

And then still have two or three weeks until the Draft.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

In a word......... NO

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm trying not to get too deep into the analysis because a) the Jets will likely disappoint me and B) I'd rather not spend the hours to watch game cutups online to feel like my opinion is worth posting. That said it's less painful to predict what the Jets will do than decide what I want them to do.

There are several things I think you want to take into account here. 

Bates - Runs a West Coast system. Theoretically accuracy should be important (negative for Allen) and a quick release should be as well (negative for Darnold). Has had a lot of success with a scattershot quarterback in Cutler (maybe offsets the Allen negative - there's some overlap there). Really smart guy and a hard worker, will likely excel with someone he can push (think this is pro Rosen, not sure on the other guys, we'll see how Wonderlics go and I have no idea what the whiteboard sessions were like but imagine that will be key). I think part of the move up is a serious belief in Bates' ability to develop someone and feel his take should have a lot of weight.

Maccagnan - Seems to value arm talent and love of football above all else. Favorable for Allen, but honestly I think all four of these dudes have a lot of arm talent. I'm not positive that we can really differentiate there. I also don't know if I totally buy into the needs a tall quarterback thing. Petty is what, 6'3? Fine size but he's not exactly Yao Ming. I tend to think 6'4+ for tall quarterbacks.

Johnson - I'd love to be able to put this idea to bed but I have to wonder if it's possible he nixes Rosen.

McCown/Bridgewater/Bowles - At this point the Jets have two quarterbacks who have started in the NFL and appear to be capable of potentially starting this year. Both quarterbacks have reputations for being outstanding teammates, and one can be sold as a potential "future" option since he's 25. This to me feels like a situation where they do not want to have to rush a quarterback, and certainly want to have some positive examples of how to be a pro in the locker room. Hard to tell if that's because it's going to be a raw guy they want to sit (Allen), someone who's had issues they want to reel in a little (Mayfield), a bright guy who needs to learn how to be a pro (Rosen), or...honestly I can't think of anything with Darnold. Maybe they just don't want a rookie starting.

The move up to 3 - I think there are a few things here. They have to like three quarterbacks. Absolutely have to. Especially since they overpaid for 3. Also have to believe the Giants are in play to take one at 2 since they were unwilling to take an overpay for that pick. And I also think they didn't like 4 quarterbacks, otherwise why not give up a little less and overpay for 4. I'm sure the Browns would have been open for a small drop to 6 and the cost would have been less prohibitive.

To me, the most points to Allen. It's always been the most obvious Jets pick and I think if Maccagnan gets any excuse he'll fall in love with the arm talent (which is absurd) and trust Bates to get the most out of him. He can sit for a year, work on his mechanics, and learn from the two rookies. And honestly, I'm fine with that. It's a huge gamble and not my preference, but if Allen works out he has a chance to be absolutely elite and if he doesn't then we start fresh with a new coach/GM.

I also think Rosen makes a ton of sense and he's becoming my favorite. Love the idea of a hyper intelligent guy who needs to be challenged and has excellent mechanics pairing up with a hyper intelligent offensive coordinator in Bates. The injury stuff concerns me and the him starting his career off well and fading due to injuries feels like something that would happen to the Jets.

Mayfield is an interesting one - curious if he and Bates would butt heads or get along well. The beauty and danger of Mayfield is that I think he's pretty close to a finished product. Which is fine as he was tremendous in college and it's kind of nice to know off the bat. But the younger kids I could see struggling and then growing, Mayfield I think either steps in and translates off the bat or is a disaster. He's the only one I could see Bowles starting immediately which is most of why I think it'll be one of the other three with the QB signings.

Darnold is the most confusing honestly. Lots of natural talent, anticipatory throws, all that good stuff, and then he turned the ball over a ton this year. I actually see a lot of overlap between him and Jameis Winston in terms of strengths/weaknesses and college career progression. Hard to get a read on where he actually falls but you don't make those kinds of throws he made last year without having a great natural feel for the position. I don't love the slow-ish release. I could see him making sense to sit for a year, make sure the trying to do too much gets out of his system, and try to tighten up that release a little. The one thing in his favor from a Jets standpoint is Maccagnan likes digging up old tape (Hackenberg) and obviously Darnold's sophomore year was very good. I have a feeling he's very live to get picked by the Jets if he's there.

One silly wrinkle I'd like to throw in is Lamar Jackson. Elite athlete with a great arm who a lot of smart guys feel has a good pocket presence and ability to make anticipatory throws. He gets lost in these discussions and honestly I don't have a great feel for whether or not he belongs in them - but some smart people think he does. Maccagnan, in my opinion, likes to try to identify and exploit areas where things slip through the cracks and go counter to trends in order to attempt to get better value. A lot of the one year reclamation project contracts, Hackenberg who was (incorrectly) viewed as a #1 overall type talent all the way in the second round. A guy like Jackson with physical talent reminiscent of Vick and some natural QB skills...all of a sudden can be locked up at #3? I don't think it's the case but Maccagnan has had way different evaluations than most before and RGIII worked in the Shanahan offense for a bit. I don't think this is the guy but weirder things have happened.

At the end of the day I wanted a quarterback - and all indications are we'll get one. Then just root like crazy for the guy they take. It'll be way too exhausting otherwise.

Good job not getting too deep into the analysis.... :D 

2 minutes ago, derp said:

a) the Jets will likely disappoint me and

^This.  A million times over ^^^THIS

we can all watch film for weeks, read the experts, listen to interviews, visit a palm reader, but in the end, this is the Jets we are talking about and this is Maccagnan who has aptly demonstrated how bad he is in evaluating the QB position. 

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah, so, this doesn't happen to most people.  

49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good job not getting too deep into the analysis.... :D 

How sad is it that's my version of "not getting too deep"? :D

I sit around and think about this stuff and it helps to verbal diarrhea it out of my head somewhere. Unfortunately for JN this is the spot.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

That must have been a tramatic experience for you but it explains a lot.

I have been all over Mayfield since the beginning of the season after watching him play. What particularly stood out for me was beating Ohio State at home. Not an easy thing to do in any season. Just ask Michigan. I think he is Taylor made to play in NY and can handle the scrutiny and pressure that goes with it. He is tough, smart and regardless of what some think He is an NFL QB. I would love to see him under center in the Green and White.

I think the biggest issue with the Jets right now isn't who they draft but rather the team as a whole.  Other than our secondary, we don't have a very good team and it's not even close.  Any rookie QB would be quickly overwhelmed.  

Of the 4 prospects Rosen seems to be the guy that could come in and maybe be decent, not great, but decent.  That also assumes his relatively frail frame could hold together, which I am not sure it could.  Darnold and Allen would most likely be in way over their heads.  Mayfield would literally be in way over his head.

Here's what I would love to see.  We draft Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield and let them sit for a year.  Bowles and Macc get fired along with most of the coaching staff after we go 5-11 for the 3rd straight year.  We bring in a proven winner....ala Jim Harbaugh and rebuild our team the right way.  If we do that, any of these QBs can be successful.  A guy like Jim could have us competitive in 2 years.  Not sure who the GM would be....maybe Jim takes on both roles, like Bill Belichick.

As long as we have the Front Office we have, we will never be a good team.  Doesn't matter who our QB is.  There are so many examples of this, look at the Rams.  They Fired Jeff Fisher and immediately became a team on the rise.  Same with the Bills.  We need to do the same.

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

And neither am I.

I honestly think we can't 'eff this up.

Raw math proves it.  We need a QB.  There are 4 available and we pick 3rd.

At worst there will be 2 to choose from when its our turn.

If it's Allen or Mayfield, I just hope we go Mayfield.

This order - but yes, mine does keep changing!

Darnold should be the first pick

Mayfield will be the best pro.  He should be our pick...

Allen - will always be innacurate

Rosen wll spend more time injured than healthy - He's the one guy we should stay completely away from - but I get the feeling he's going to be the pick.  So many red flags here.

2 hours ago, deucebag said:

QB Prospect Rankings IMO

3. Josh Allen is a beast of a raw talent.  Quick release with a cannon of an arm but poor accuracy and needs an Evelyn Woods course in how to read a defense.  With fingers crossed and a few years of intense classroom and on the job teaching he could become Andrew Luck, but more likely Zach Mettenberger.

Zach Mettenberger?  I get the idea that you think he is a pocket passer, but Allen is one of the most athletically gifted QBs coming out. Considerably better than Wentz and I don't read anybody describing Wentz as ponderous and lead footed in the pocket.  I also haven't read anything about Allen having a painfully slow release.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Zach Mettenberger?  I get the idea that you think he is a pocket passer, but Allen is one of the most athletically gifted QBs coming out. Considerably better than Wentz and I don't read anybody describing Wentz as ponderous and lead footed in the pocket.  I also haven't read anything about Allen having a painfully slow release.

I stated Allen has a quick release.  I used Zach as a example of a big arm failure rather than a physical and mental twin.

Archived