Darnold #1 after pro day

I know It’s not a bold prediction. But dude was aces today everyone said. The lucky bonus for him was it was a rare rainy day in sunny southern Cali and he still did very well. Browns owner was even stalking his parents. Now we just need to know what happens at #2 before we guess which qbs left mac takes.  

Sam Darnold erased any fear and probably Jets’, Giants’ chances

By Brian Costello

March 21, 2018 | 7:07pm

sam_darnold.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=9
USC quarterback Sam Darnold runs through drills during his pro day Wednesday.AP

LOS ANGELES — Cromwell Field on the campus of USC was littered with NFL coaches and front-office personnel on Wednesday.

Jets coach Todd Bowles stood in one corner of the end zone chatting with Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie. Giants coach Pat Shurmur was all over the field shaking hands with old friends. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam watched from the stands. Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan had his trusty Starbucks cup as he focused his eyes on Sam Darnold — the player they all came to see — warming up.

The USC quarterback took the field on a rare rainy day in Southern California for his Pro Day. After not throwing at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this month, this was Darnold’s chance to show what he can do. He aced the test.

Darnold put on an impressive display, throwing about 60 passes and showcasing his ability to throw on the run, make deep throws and play in the rain. About a quarter of the way through his workout, the rain came down hard.

A few days earlier, when the forecast showed rain, USC planned on changing the schedule so Darnold could throw before the rain hit. He said no, he wanted to throw in the wet stuff.

“I think it was a perfect opportunity to be able to throw in the rain and show these teams that I can throw in the rain,” Darnold said afterward. “I thought I did pretty well. Now it’s up to what they think and see who picks me.”

After watching him perform up close Wednesday, I would be shocked if Darnold is not the No. 1 overall pick by the Browns. He is simply the cleanest prospect of the big four quarterbacks. He led the Trojans to a 20-4 record in two years as a starter. He can make every throw and has the temperament of a franchise quarterback. Yes, he had 22 turnovers in 2017, but a coach will believe they can coach that out of him.

All you had to do was look at Haslam, the Browns owner, sitting in the stands with Darnold’s parents, to get the feeling this is as close as the Jets and Giants are ever going to get to Darnold.

The Giants brass took Darnold to dinner Monday, followed by the Browns on Tuesday. Shurmur, VP of player evaluation Chris Mara, assistant GM Kevin Abrams and offensive coordinator Mike Shula led the Giants contingent here.

The Jets had Maccagnan, Bowles, offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger and director of college scouting Matt Bazirgan on hand.

They watched Darnold confirm what everyone around the NFL has believed since last year: He is the real deal. NFL legend Troy Aikman marveled at how unfazed Darnold was by the rain. Former Jets wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson and quarterback Mark Sanchez, both USC alums, watched Darnold zip the ball 60 yards through the downpour.

A look around the field showed a who’s who of the NFL with GMs John Schneider, Steve Keim, John Dorsey and McKenzie joining Maccagnan and head coaches Mike Vrabel, Hue Jackson and Anthony Lynn to go along with Bowles and Shurmur.

Former NFL quarterback Jordan Palmer is Darnold’s private quarterback coach. Palmer said teams barely got to know Darnold at the Scouting Combine, where interviews are limited to 15 minutes. Now, he is ready to take visits (you can bet the Giants and Jets will be on that list), and Palmer predicts teams will fall in love.

“Sam is not the kid that you speed date. He’s the kid that you marry,” Palmer said. “As he goes through this process and gets to spend a bunch of time with Cleveland and some of these other teams, it’s very predictable for people like myself that are in his circle, that people will fall in love the more they get to know him.”

If, for some reason, the Browns pass on Darnold, he likely will wind up in New York with one of the two teams picking at 2 and 3.

“It would be awesome,” Darnold said of playing in New York. “I just want to go wherever I’m wanted. Whoever wants to pick me up, I’ll be happy to play there.”

Something tells me the fans of that team will be plenty happy, too.

AB54B410-7391-4359-AFCD-8F07B6B66BEF.png

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yep, confirmed. He’s as good as gone the very second the draft kicks off.

Not that it wasn’t already pretty much expected. But atleast now browns can’t F with everyone else and make every1 guess. I hate this suspense. Usually the #1 makes it clear soon before draft anyway, not like anybody can trade ahead of them ha. 

Now we can move on to figuring out next piece of the puzzle. 2nd pick.

2 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

If true then in hindsight any amount of Sucking for Sam wasn't going to work since it took a 0-16 effort to get him and we were never going winless.

So Rosen, Allen, Mayfield with the Giants or <insert soon to be draft pick poor team here> to pick at #2.

Yup, but the 5 wins did cost us 3 second round picks. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

If true then in hindsight any amount of Sucking for Sam wasn't going to work since it took a 0-16 effort to get him and were never going winless.

So Rosen, Allen, Mayfield with the Giants or <insert soon to be draft pick poor team here> to pick at #2.

The win against the Browns in week 5 was the dagger in the heart.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Not that it wasn’t already pretty much expected. But atleast now browns can’t F with everyone else and make every1 guess. I hate this suspense. Usually the #1 makes it clear soon before draft anyway, not like anybody can trade ahead of them ha. 

Now we can move on to figuring out next piece of the puzzle. 2nd pick.

8 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

If true then in hindsight any amount of Sucking for Sam wasn't going to work since it took a 0-16 effort to get him and were never going winless.

True to both of these statements...Barkley hopefully is the second pick.. we will see. Darnold sure would of been a great pick though..but still in love with Rosen so I’m good..still a chance.

really think the Browns are about to finally turn it around on a major way...

12 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

If true then in hindsight any amount of Sucking for Sam wasn't going to work since it took a 0-16 effort to get him and we were never going winless.

I’m 90% sure we would have received 2nd pick if we went 3-13 though. And I’d imagine it would only take 2 2nd round picks to move up to #1 if we wanted to. And that would be over paying by a lot even. 

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

True to both of these statements...Barkley hopefully is the second pick.. we will see. Darnold sure would of been a great pick though..but still in love with Rosen so I’m good..still a chance.

really think the Browns are about to finally turn it around on a major way...

I don’t see those snakes picking Barkley. Maybe 20% chance. Other 80 is either giants want to pick eli’s Eventual replacement or trade down for hoard of picks doc gettlelan can form his O/D line the guy is obsessed with. Who would you want giants to take? Other than Barkley obviously. Assuming browns take darnold 

21 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m 90% sure we would have received 2nd pick if we went 3-13 though. And I’d imagine it would only take 2 2nd round picks to move up to #1 if we wanted to. And that would be over paying by a lot even. 

If we had the 2nd overall, the Browns still wouldn't trade with us. No team that wants to take a QB in the top 2 would ever trade down and settle for the leftovers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Darnold is the clear #1 and Cleveland have the man to end their decades of slapdickery looking at them in the face. 

If this was the Jets at #1 being offered 2 x 2nd rounders to part with Darnold and they took it,  I'd be going postal and headed to 1 Jets Drive upon hearing the news.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Is it sad that I’m happy the Browns might actually become a team now? I kinda like the underdogs, being a Jets fan forever. 

They have averaged like 4 wins the past 12 yrs. I doubt this changes a lot. Either way  I’m glad they beat out the giants for worst record atleast. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we had the 2nd overall, the Browns still wouldn't trade with us. No team that wants to take a QB in the top 2 would ever trade down and settle for the leftovers. 

I agree. But we would be #2, better than 3, and still have 3 very important 2nd round picks.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yep, confirmed. He’s as good as gone the very second the draft kicks off.

I just hope they turn in that card 1.8 seconds after it starts. I hate when the team with #1 takes 14:55 to turn in the stupid. The quicker they turn it in the quicker the Jets are on the clock.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I don’t see those snakes picking Barkley. Maybe 20% chance. Other 80 is either giants want to pick eli’s Eventual replacement or trade down for hoard of picks doc gettlelan can form his O/D line the guy is obsessed with. Who would you want giants to take? Other than Barkley obviously. Assuming browns take darnold 

Nelson.

Maybe he falls in love with the guy because of his pro bowl potential and find it fills a huge need on their line.. I know he is a gaurd but I could see it..

chances are he does wind up trading it to the Bills if they decide they don’t care how much picks they need to send.

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I just hope they turn in that card 1.8 seconds after it starts. I hate when the team with #1 takes 14:55 to turn in the stupid. The quicker they turn it in the quicker the Jets are on the clock.

Yeah, that is really annoying.  They just sit there and let the clock run down. The suspense is going to kill me once the Giants get on the clock though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m 100% sure Browns would’ve laughed at us for offering 2 2nd rounders. Would’ve had to offer that, plus next years 1st and 2nd just to get a conversation started. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, that is really annoying.  They just sit there and let the clock run down. The suspense is going to kill me once the Giants get on the clock though.

There should’nt be a click for the first pick. Draft should begin with the announcement of the first overall pick. I mean, they have what like 5 months to decide, starting back in early December. Such nonsense giving an extra 15 minutes. Use em to get your pics in and some PR stunt by the team and then give the 2nd team 5 minutes to decide. It’s not like Giants had dozens of scenarios to cover. But first pick should definitely be untimed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I’m 100% sure Browns would’ve laughed at us for offering 2 2nd rounders. Would’ve had to offer that, plus next years 1st and 2nd just to get a conversation started. 

? well just 1 2nd round pick would have been more than enough to satisfy the almighty “ draft value chart “ everyone loves to follow lol. What you propose is beyond laughable. Darnold had like 30 turnovers last yr. Even if he is #1, there are 3 other qbs right on his heels. Nobody would offer 1/3 of what you propose.

Let’s wait for the other pro days. I think Allen goes Friday.  Afterwards I’m sure there will be at least a handful of articles saying that he should go first over Darnold. That’s the way this draft process works. People jump from horse to horse while they are still racing around track. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

There are of course a million opinions out there...post the Jets/Colts trade Bucky Brooks debates Daniel Jeremiah in their latest podcast on what the Giants do after Darnold goes one. Jeremiah thinks the Bills trade with the Giants and go Josh Allen, Cam Newton being the player comp. they use. Bucky argues that Gettleman goes with likely future all-pro Quenton Nelson to protect Eli at 2.

If the Bills can first swop with the Colts 12 to 6, I can see Gettleman then trading with the Bills at 6. Gettleman still gets his all pro guard at 6.

That scenario might be be Darold to the Browns, Allen to the Bills, Rosen or Mayfield to the Jets, Barkley to the Browns, Rosen or Mayfield to the Broncos and Nelson to the Giants.

57 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

? well just 1 2nd round pick would have been more than enough to satisfy the almighty “ draft value chart “ everyone loves to follow lol. What you propose is beyond laughable. Darnold had like 30 turnovers last yr. Even if he is #1, there are 3 other qbs right on his heels. Nobody would offer 1/3 of what you propose.

If one 2nd rounder was enough, why would you propose to offfer two 2nd rounders? If Darnold is a sure thing, which most analysts feel comfortable justifying, then draft value goes out the door. Imagine if there was a QB as good as Brady coming out this year. Do you really think Browns would let such prospect go with just two 2nd rounders? 

Did u happen to see what Redskins offer was to pick RG3? Draft value chart only works after the first few picks have settled. Until then it’s all about the prospect and supply and demand. 

• Upvote 1