Dilfer on Rosen

nico002

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Trading JPP may have them taking Chubb. 

Remember Giants success has always been defense. 

Image result for lawrence taylor pics

Yes, I didn’t fully grasp your point until I saw the attached picture of Lawrence Taylor and then I was able to piece it all together.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, I didn’t fully grasp your point until I saw the attached picture of Lawrence Taylor and then I was able to piece it all together.

Grasp it like your manhood the Giants are a defensive minded team they have been lacking defensive superstars for years. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Grasp it like your manhood the Giants are a defensive minded team they have been lacking defensive superstars for years. 

Yes thank you joe but also keep in mind that those Giants teams also fielded quarterbacks. 

3D575EAE-B7D8-4715-8CA9-43F189ABB11E.jpeg

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

What's his arm talent like? 

Maybe we take barkley and trade him to the Colts for 2 2nds and next year's 1st. Then take Mayfield at 6. 

Is getting Mark Sanchez worth passing on LeVeon Bell?  Not to say I think Sanchez is Mayfield's pro comparison but he may end up with a similar career arch.  Barkley on the other hand, looks like LDT, Bell, Faulk type.  I'm all for Sam and Rosen but I think we're being sold a bill of goods on Baker.

3 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

Is getting Mark Sanchez worth passing on LeVeon Bell?

No. How about Drew Brees though? Which one Baker will be closer to is anyone's guess.

We need a QB much more than a RB. Levon Bell would not be winning us any playoff games unless we find a QB. 

6 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No. How about Drew Brees though? Which one Baker will be closer to is anyone's guess.

We need a QB much more than a RB. Levon Bell would not be winning us any playoff games unless we find a QB. 

Would you take Barkley over Allen? Jackson? So on and so forth.  At some point we're only talking faith in talent of the QB.  You just have more faith in Baker being closer to Brees than not.  We are not a QB away from being relevant.  The only reason Mark was able to to step in and be successful is because there was talent that surrounded him.  Unfortunately this team lacks depth of talent.  I will not be mad if they draft Barkley if Darnold and Rosen are off the board but I know that many will.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think if it was left up to Shurmur, Shula, Mara, and Tisch, then it’d be Rosen. I think if it’s left up to Gettleman, it’s anyone else. We just have no idea what the dynamics are in the building. Jerry Reese was allowed to draft whoever he wanted, with no interference. Does Gettleman have that same leeway? 

I'm told that you have no idea what you are talking about and are just making sh*t up as you go along

On 3/22/2018 at 8:04 AM, sec101row23 said:

Having been around the Nike Elite 11 competitions a lot, I remember Rosen getting criticism for his attitude.  He was questioning some play calls at times, acted as if he was Peyton Mannng already.  BUT, it was a competition setting, and it was competition.  Rosen wanted be be the unquestioned #1 guy in that group.  I remember some of the other coaches saying his football IQ was off the charts for a kid that age, and picked up the playbook as fast as anyone ever has at that competition.  This notion that because he comes from money that he will somehow not have the desire to excel is comical.  Kid wants to compete and be the best, plain and simple.  

I thought back in August that Rosen and Darnold were the two best prospects in this draft and then a clear drop to the next few.  Still feel that way.  Jets would be extremely fortunate to end up with Rosen.  

Anybody who doesn’t want a player like that is simple minded. Who wouldn’t want someone who is ultra competitive, and wants to be the leader? Who wouldn’t want someone who asks and wants to know the why behind the what when it comes to calls, plays, and gameplans?

To me thats someone who wants to master their craft and evolve, like a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers. 

We should be so lucky to draft Rosen.

The Chubb angle interests me.  I buy that the Giants value a high 1st over a couple of lower 1sts.  Better off getting a real playmaker than a possible or two.  Guys who change the course of games.  To me that is either a QB or a guy who crushes QBs.

Personally I dont give a crap about interviews.  Chad gave good interview. He was very likable.  But he could not get it down the field.  And this is a get it down the field era.  I amagine Rosen has a good arm.  But his interview is not going to swing me, His arm is.

Just now, jack48 said:

The Chubb angle interests me.  I buy that the Giants value a high 1st over a couple of lower 1sts.  Better off getting a real playmaker than a possible or two.  Guys who change the course of games.  To me that is either a QB or a guy who crushes QBs.

Personally I dont give a crap about interviews.  Chad gave good interview. He was very likable.  But he could not get it down the field.  And this is a get it down the field era.  I imagine Rosen has a good arm.  But his interview is not going to swing me. His arm is.

This is from a hard core Giants fan site, two draftnicks that have been following the Giants since the 1950s. Great Blue North Draft Report gbnreport.com 

Giants appear all in on QBs

Posted: March 24, 2018 | 0 comments

Over the past week, Cleveland, along with the Giants and Jets, the teams with the first three picks at the 2018 draft, have each had a major group of scouts, senior execs and coaches cris-crossing the country checking out this year’s top QB prospects. And there seems to be  a general consensus that both the Browns and Jets are locks to take on those top QBs with their first pick at next month’s draft. However, there just hasn’t been the same kind of consensus emerging for the Giants (which we discuss somewhat facetiously here) despite the fact that 37-year old incumbent starter Eli Manning is coming off a second straight down year. This week, though, Giants head coach Pat Shurmer, QB-coach Mike Shula, assistant G.M. Kevin Abrams and college scouting director Chris Mara traveling all over the country checking out in various fashions Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield which should have been enough of a tell that the Giants are pretty much all in on QBs. You just don’t have your head coach standing in a monsoon 3,000 miles from home barely a month from the draft unless you really want to see the guy he is checking out. Now it was revealed last night that not only did the Giants base group hold a private workout with UCLA’s Rosen and take him to dinner, but that owners John Mara and Steve Tisch also went to that dinner. That makes some sense for Tisch who actually lives in L.A., but that’s a long way to go for Mara. Maybe he had nothing better to do, but that kind of meeting with ownership usually is conducted only if the team already has a really high grade on the player and is done as a final stamp of approval type thing. What isn’t clear, though, since the news was revealed by Rosen, is whether Giants’ ownership also sat in on the team’s dinner with Darnold the following evening, or whether anything was done with Allen later in the week. Whatever, we have been saying literally from the start of this draft process that the most logical choice for the Giants with the #2 pick was the L.A. QB – Darnold or Rosen – that Cleveland didn’t take. And since it appears that Darnold is increasingly likely going to be the Browns’ choice, Rosen is looking more and more likely to be the Giants guy. But we’ve been wrong before! Stay tuned!

11 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

This is from a hard core Giants fan site, two draftnicks that have been following the Giants since the 1950s. Great Blue North Draft Report gbnreport.com 

Over the past week, Cleveland, along with the Giants and Jets, the teams with the first three picks at the 2018 draft, have each had a major group of scouts, senior execs and coaches cris-crossing the country checking out this year’s top QB prospects. And there seems to be  a general consensus that both the Browns and Jets are locks to take on those top QBs with their first pick at next month’s draft. However, there just hasn’t been the same kind of consensus emerging for the Giants (which we discuss somewhat facetiously here) despite the fact that 37-year old incumbent starter Eli Manning is coming off a second straight down year. This week, though, Giants head coach Pat Shurmer, QB-coach Mike Shula, assistant G.M. Kevin Abrams and college scouting director Chris Mara traveling all over the country checking out in various fashions Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield which should have been enough of a tell that the Giants are pretty much all in on QBs. You just don’t have your head coach standing in a monsoon 3,000 miles from home barely a month from the draft unless you really want to see the guy he is checking out. Now it was revealed last night that not only did the Giants base group hold a private workout with UCLA’s Rosen and take him to dinner, but that owners John Mara and Steve Tisch also went to that dinner. That makes some sense for Tisch who actually lives in L.A., but that’s a long way to go for Mara. Maybe he had nothing better to do, but that kind of meeting with ownership usually is conducted only if the team already has a really high grade on the player and is done as a final stamp of approval type thing. What isn’t clear, though, since the news was revealed by Rosen, is whether Giants’ ownership also sat in on the team’s dinner with Darnold the following evening, or whether anything was done with Allen later in the week. Whatever, we have been saying literally from the start of this draft process that the most logical choice for the Giants with the #2 pick was the L.A. QB – Darnold or Rosen – that Cleveland didn’t take. And since it appears that Darnold is increasingly likely going to be the Browns’ choice, Rosen is looking more and more likely to be the Giants guy. But we’ve been wrong before! Stay tuned!

This is my biggest fear. I think that both owners of the NYG flying to LA to have dinner with Rosen means the writing is on the wall. 

If I’m the Jets I’m pestering the sh*t out of the Giants about swapping the 2 and 3 picks. 

2 hours ago, Jetlag said:

Would you take Barkley over Allen? Jackson? So on and so forth.  At some point we're only talking faith in talent of the QB.  You just have more faith in Baker being closer to Brees than not.  We are not a QB away from being relevant.  The only reason Mark was able to to step in and be successful is because there was talent that surrounded him.  Unfortunately this team lacks depth of talent.  I will not be mad if they draft Barkley if Darnold and Rosen are off the board but I know that many will.

I really don't know what it's like to have a franchise QB so I'm not sure but I'd like our chances better if we had one. 

Building a team in lieu of a QB hasn't worked out too well. I'm ready to try the other philosophy. 

53 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is my biggest fear. I think that both owners of the NYG flying to LA to have dinner with Rosen means the writing is on the wall. 

If I’m the Jets I’m pestering the sh*t out of the Giants about swapping the 2 and 3 picks. 

If I'm the Giants there's no way I'm taking Rosen after he leaked this information.

Are you listening Giants? Do not take Rosen. He's a big leaker. 

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

I do not see the Giants trading down lower than 5.

32 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I do not see the Giants trading down lower than 5.

Giants would likely only flip with the Jets, and that would take a 2019 1st IMO.

Macc held on to that pick for a reason.

58 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If I'm the Giants there's no way I'm taking Rosen after he leaked this information.

Are you listening Giants? Do not take Rosen. He's a big leaker. 

They don't care. They're taking him. Rosen loves the Mannings. He gets giddy every time he mentions the Giants, Shurmur, Eli...i'm sure he has no problem sitting behind Eli for a couple years. 

Really sucks they'll get the best QB prospect in this class while Jets get leftovers. 

9 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

They don't care. They're taking him. Rosen loves the Mannings. He gets giddy every time he mentions the Giants, Shurmur, Eli...i'm sure he has no problem sitting behind Eli for a couple years. 

Really sucks they'll get the best QB prospect in this class while Jets get leftovers. 

The rich get richer. Fate has it that the Giants are always suppose to get one over on us.

Darnold one, Rosen at two and Allen at three. Barkley at 4, Mayfield at 5 to Denver and Chubb goes to Indy.

Allen is such a nice kid, on his day off during the season he can toss balls from the far end of the hospital ward to Rosen's bed at Morristown Medical Center.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The rich get richer. Fate has it that the Giants are always suppose to get one over on us.

The sooner we come to accept this reality, the sooner we can move on to who our QB will actually be. And that's Josh Allen. Time to get behind him and support that rocket arm! Change your pic Killa.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The sooner we come to accept this reality, the sooner we can move on to who our QB will actually be. And that's Josh Allen. Time to get behind him and support that rocket arm! Change your pic Killa.

Yep it might be about that time...and it’s most likely the reason they wouldn’t trade with us. They didn’t want us taking the QB they want.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yep it might be about that time...and it’s most likely the reason they wouldn’t trade with us. They didn’t want us taking the QB they want.

I also hate that fact that I know the Jets will be the butt of jokes when he's drafted. "HAHAH JETS traded up for JOSH ALLEN! IDIOTS!". It's just gonna add so much more frustration on top of just selecting him. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I also hate that fact that I know the Jets will be the butt of jokes when he's drafted. "HAHAH JETS traded up for JOSH ALLEN! IDIOTS!". It's just gonna add so much more frustration on top of just selecting him. 

Oh yeah, it’s coming. I think that’s the case with whoever we draft(maybe not Rosen) but for the most part yes. Other fan bases, media outlets, our own board..we are going to get heat for this. 

If Allen winds up the pick...I fully intend on getting behind the pick...I just can’t see how this 2nd rate organization can get him prepped and ready for the Pros. I hope they can and I hope he turns out to be the best QB from this draft...something tells me it’s going to be Darnold though. Allen has just as much upside but hasn’t put it together and might not ever.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Giants would likely only flip with the Jets, and that would take a 2019 1st IMO.

Macc held on to that pick for a reason.

I figure they can get a game changer at 5 in Chubb.  You cannot give up a game changer pick for a couple of low firsts.  Mybe a top 10 but not a top 5.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 11:49 PM, nico002 said:

Pretty much a must listen 

Alittle further on the Dilfer / Rosen 2014 spat via The Athletic: Jason Negro was Rosen's HS coach. 

Josh Rosen is straight out of the make-a-quarterback factory. He has perfect size (6-4, 218), accuracy, arm strength and intelligence. If teams only looked at skill and ability, he'd likely be the consensus top pick in the draft.

But Rosen has developed a reputation that he's difficult to get along with and hard to coach. It's a damning assessment of a player who, on April 26th, will become the face of an NFL franchise. It has gotten to the point these off-field red flags come up as much as Rosen's on-field ability.

And Jason Negro believes that's asinine. Rosen, he said, is just misunderstood.

In 2014, in-between his junior and senior seasons at St. John Bosco, Rosen attended Trent Dilfer's Elite 11 football camp. Dilfer sent playbooks and schemes to each of the players beforehand so they could familiarize themselves before arriving.

As soon as Rosen got his, he got to work. He went over every route and every concept on every page. He wanted to master it so he showed up more prepared than the 17 other high school quarterbacks. But in his studies, a few things popped up. So, he took the playbook to Negro.

Dilfer had specific concepts drawn against certain coverages that Rosen didn't understand. He felt other routes would work better. He came up with a few adjustments. Negro, quickly, shot them down … but not because they were wrong.

“'Josh, there may be flaws, but that's not for you to go and tell Trent Dilfer. Don't do it.” Negro recalled telling his young quarterback. “But he couldn't help it.”

At the camp, Rosen started asking Dilfer questions. He began questioning why things were done this way, and not that way? He had to understand. His intentions weren't malicious, he genuinely wanted to know.

After the camp ended, Dilfer said in an interview with “The Opening Drive” that Rosen “has yet to buy into what I'm preaching … he's a guy who keeps telling me how they do it at John Bosco.”

Things spiraled out of control from there. Rosen's intentions were lost in translation.

“He can't just accept something until he understands everything about it,” Negro said. That's led to him getting misunderstood. He's so intelligent, he has to know why things are done a certain way.

“He's a questions guy. He wants to know the 'why' behind everything. What he had to learn, and he has, is that there's a time and a place for that. He needed to mature.”

Jason Negro isn't a stranger to elite quarterback play. St. John Bosco plays in the Trinity League and is part of the  California Interscholastic Federation. It's one of the more prestigious high school conferences in the country. Negro's coached or seen the likes of Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart and others. He's had a slew of his own players, in addition to Josh Rosen, play high-level collegiate ball.

Negro knows talent when he sees it. But then again, anyone who watches Rosen throw can, too. Where he separates himself, in his high school coach's eyes, is with his football acumen. It's been there ever since he was a kid.

It takes time to develop a high school quarterback, especially playing against the talent in the Trinity League. But with Rosen, there was no adjustment period. Never. It all just … made sense. Coaches would tell him to do one thing, he'd do it once, and he'd get it. Negro can't recall a situation where they had to rep something, over and over again, to help it make sense for Rosen.

At the end of each practice, Negro's staff would upload film for players to review. It gives them a chance to self-critique when they're home. Rosen was always the first to ask for his. It wasn't long before Negro saw why.

“He'd come back the next day in the meetings and know everything — I mean everything,” Negro said. “He knew the throws he hit, the throws he missed, why he made those mistakes, how he can improve. Everything. All in just a day. He was an incredible learner.

“Typical high school kids don't do that. They're into so many other things because they're kids. But Josh wasn't into that. He was focusing on football, refining his craft, and trying to be the best he can possibly be.”

Negro said Rosen was the best quarterback he ever coached. But what impressed Negro as much as any throw or film study was how Rosen acted off the field. There was never a time Rosen believed he was above the team. He didn't skip workouts or cut in line during team meals. He was also friends with everyone.

St. John Bosco is located southeast of L.A. The school is 40 minutes in either direction from some of the nicer areas in the city and some of the worst. The kids attending the school come from all different social and economic backgrounds.

“He was so generous to everyone,” Negro said. “I'm not saying he gave them money. It's not about that. He was just able to adapt and get along with everybody in our program.”

Jason Negro's phone has rung quite a bit these last few months. Most times it's an NFL team on the other end.

Understandably so. When you've spent more time coaching Josh Rosen than anyone else, you're the one who knows Josh Rosen the best.

Coaches, scouts and personnel executives have dug in on Negro, the head football coach at St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif., trying to figure out what kind of person Rosen is. Are the rumors of his personality flaws true? Can he be a leader? Was he a leader?

Negro answers each question as honestly as he can. Then he tells a story.

In the summer of 2014, St. John Bosco had an opportunity to play Saint Louis, a high school in Hawaii (and alma mater of Marcus Mariota, who graduated in 2010). To do so, each kid had to raise $1,500. This wasn't an issue for many on the roster. They just had to go home, ask mom and dad for a check, then come back the next day. But for those coming from less privileged backgrounds? It wasn't possible.

And that didn't sit well with Rosen.

The 17-year-old, with some help from the team's operations coordinator Jessie Christensen, designed a discount card on his iPad. The next day, dressed in a suit and tie, he took it to many of the local businesses and restaurants in Bellflower. His pitch: If someone shows you this card, give them some form of a discount. The proceeds of which would go directly to the St. John Bosco football program to help those less-fortunate kids get to Hawaii.

It worked. Rosen's program helped several teammates fund their trips. 

Negro had never seen such selfless initiative taken by a student. When he went to Rosen with praise, the teenager met him with a request: Don't tell anybody. Rosen didn't want the credit. He was just helping his teammates out.

“I only talk about it now because he's been gone for three years,” Negro said. “Josh takes a lot of hits in the media with how outspoken he is and some of the things he says. But actions like that? I mean, I think it's a testament to his character and who he is.”

Archived