One year from today, Godzilla: King of the Monsters hits theaters!!!

Larz

I may be in the extreme minority about this, but I am super excited about this.  I grew up in the 70's watching all the old classics, and of course the big guy made a huge impression on me.  What always fascinated me was the scale of it.  The classic shots of people running while Godzilla rampaged in the background are pure magic for a 9 year old.

The movie has wrapped shooting and is in post production. They screened it recently and what people were allowed to say was basically this ; 

"The people talking stuff was dumb but there were a lot of monster fights !"

That pretty much makes it a classic Godzilla movie !

King Ghidora, Rodan and Mothra are all confirmed.  

"The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species – thought to be mere myths – rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance."

— Legendary and Warner Bros.[1]

2 images from Skull island teasing Ghidora and Rodan, and the famous Oxygen destroyer

MV5BMzEzOWViYmMtZmJlOC00YjkzLTk1MTMtZGNkZjZkMzBhYmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

MV5BNjZkODUzMzQtMTEwOS00MDAwLWI0NjQtNmNhNjBiYTNlZDI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MzcwNTI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BY2RiZTNlMmEtM2ZlNi00NWM5LTg4MTEtZTIzODQ1NGZmNWVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

I initially had zero excitement after that sh*tfest from a few years ago that acted like it was ashamed of being a Godzilla movie...

But that immediately changed when I heard Michael Dougherty was directing.

Both Trick r Treat and Krampus were awesome, surprising little throwback horror/comedies that the whole family can enjoy along the lines of Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Tremors, etc.

At the very least, you know the movie will be fun as hell with some truly badass monster fights.

And what the hell else do you want from a Godzilla flick?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, Larz said:

I may be in the extreme minority about this, but I am super excited about this.  I grew up in the 70's watching all the old classics, and of course the big guy made a huge impression on me.  What always fascinated me was the scale of it.  The classic shots of people running while Godzilla rampaged in the background are pure magic for a 9 year old.

Channel 9 (WWOR?) always ran a marathon of Godzilla movies over thanksgiving weekend, along with the original King Kong and Mighty Joe Young.

Loved, loved, loved those movies as a kid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

Channel 9 (WWOR?) always ran a marathon of Godzilla movies over thanksgiving weekend, along with the original King Kong and Mighty Joe Young.

Loved, loved, loved those movies as a kid.

I also had chiller theater I think they did a lot of zilla 

I'm totally geeked out for godzilla vs Kong 

That is a super iconic movie in my family lol

• 5 weeks later...

The marketing for Michael Dougherty's Godzilla sequel, titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters has officially begun today with the mention of Monster Zero! On Twitter, Dougherty himself shared a frame of what looks to be MONARCH satellite imagery. The image seemingly shows off massive thermal radiation and/or seismic activity. The code-word labeled at the top of the frame reads "Monster Zero" and we all know what means!

Read more: http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/godzilla-king-the-monsters-marketing-officially-kicks-off-with-mention-monster-zero#ixzz5GHNFN3d9 
Follow us: @Scifiedcom on Twitter | Scifiedcom on Facebook

• 1 month later...

The world is reacting to Godzilla in the same way we would react to any other terrifying incident, in that we are overreacting,” says Dougherty. “There’s paranoia and endless speculation about whether he is the only one out there or whether we’re threatened by others like his kind.”

In King of the Monsters we find out that there are in fact additional giant creatures, including the three-headed King Ghidorah, the giant insect Mothra, and a flying monster named Rodan.

“Rodan’s been kind of a sidekick character, but I’ve always had a soft spot for him” Dougherty adds. “In a lot of ways he’s more powerful than Godzilla. He’s like this winged A-bomb. I think we’ve done him justice.”

Dougherty also reveals that Godzilla has the ability to exhale “atomic breath,” although the director remained somewhat hush-hush on the details.

“It takes place at a very key moment and it’s a sort of call to arms,” he divulges.

Alongside the beasts, King of the Monstersstars Vera Farmiga, who portrays Dr. Emma Russell, and Stranger Things Millie Bobby Brown, who plays Emma’s daughter, Madison, both of whom are kidnaped by “a mysterious organization, with their own plans for the creatures,” says Dougherty.

For more on Godzilla: King of the Monsters

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Will we actually get to enjoy Godzilla in this one or will the first 90 minutes be about Aaron Taylor Johnson again?

I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that this will be more of a fun popcorn flick with monster fights aplenty, just based on Dougherty’s past work. 

That pile of sh*t from a few years ago was trying to be some sort of serious disaster drama with Godzilla being a total afterthought. You could’ve made it about a giant earthquake or hurricane and it wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

24 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s pretty much guaranteed that this will be more of a fun popcorn flick with monster fights aplenty, just based on Dougherty’s past work. 

That pile of sh*t from a few years ago was trying to be some sort of serious disaster drama with Godzilla being a total afterthought. You could’ve made it about a giant earthquake or hurricane and it wouldn’t have made much of a difference.

It definitely seems like they learned their lesson judging by Skull Island. Kong was ******* sh*t up after like 10 minutes.

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2018 at 8:16 PM, Untouchable said:

I initially had zero excitement after that sh*tfest from a few years ago that acted like it was ashamed of being a Godzilla movie...

But that immediately changed when I heard Michael Dougherty was directing.

Both Trick r Treat and Krampus were awesome, surprising little throwback horror/comedies that the whole family can enjoy along the lines of Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Tremors, etc.

At the very least, you know the movie will be fun as hell with some truly badass monster fights.

And what the hell else do you want from a Godzilla flick?

I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of those old monster movies but I did enjoy them.  What I do hope to see from these kinds of reboots is better, more in-depth story telling about origins that make it seem like these things could be real.  There needs to be some sort of quality and depth that makes it seem realistic to me.  And similar to the Batman reboots by Christopher Nolan, I prefer a somewhat darker, less gimmicky adaptation on these things.  Maybe I'm asking for too much but as a guy who thought the old Val Kilmer, Michael Keaton films done by Tim Burton should never see a screen again, I am cautiously optimistic that Godzilla could deliver.

The main reason for the scant screen time for the big guy in the last movie was how long it took to render things like lighting and shadows on him. 

A lot of the movie was set at night because of that. 

They also had to reboot it and get the story going. 

They only had the rights to Godzilla, so they had to invent the mutos 

This movie has the classic enemies and even in 3 short years the computers will be able to do more 

To start, the video effects are so sharp and powerful, it would take 445 Years to render Godzilla on a single computer. In other words, the design team would have had to start working during the Renaissance to get this beast up to par for a May 2014 release. 

Not only were 4 CGI artists hired from Moving Picture Company to create the scales, but it took them 6 months to fully nail the texture, which includes 500,00 polygons used in the 3D-modeling process. Oh, and the four CGI gurus are on top of the 762 other visual effects crew members hired to work on this film

On 7/14/2018 at 2:09 PM, Untouchable said:

I, personally, had no issue with Godzilla's scant screen time in the last one, as the payoff at the end was worth it. Loved that movie. Easily worlds better than that Roland Emmerich pile of sh*t from 98.

I don't know how many Godzilla movies you've seen, but I feel like the people who complained about it had never seen a Toho Godzilla movie before in their life, especially from the early Showa series. They were always about the human characters first, and monster scenes/fights were normally scarce throughout, saving the good stuff for end showdown. My absolutely favorite Godzilla movie, even to this day, the original Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla was like that. Even had a painfully long song at the end sung by a woman to awaken--not even Godzilla--but King ******* Ceasar to do battle with Mechagodzilla until Godzilla arrived. And, as a young kid, I was jumpin' up and joy with glee by the time that song ended and King Ceasar burst outta that mountain to do battle. :)

Best ******* build ever up.

And, have you seen Toho's Shin Godzilla from 2016? That one plays out almost exactly how you describe a "serious disaster drama", borderline being a political thriller/drama, but it really has some amazing visuals. The only time I've ever gotten goosebumps from a Godzilla movie.

I really hope this isn't a popcorn fest like Pacific Rim was. Although, either way, it's gonna be great to see some classic Godzilla monsters on the screen after so many years.

@Larz

Name a favorite movie and monster from each of the eras Showa, Heisei, Millennium. I'll go first:

Showa:

Movie: Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) It's gotta be the first Godzilla movie ever remember seeing and began my love affair with the big fella. And, I think it represents the best of that era with not too much camp *cough* Godzilla's Revenge *cough* and some great battles.

Monster: Anguirus. I've always had a soft spot for the little guy. Going from being Godzilla's first ever foe on screen (still need to watch Godzilla Raids Again) to being his most trustworthy ally. He isn't very powerful, but he's reliable and has a lot of grit! Almost like the Bilal Powell of the Kaiju world! :lol:

Heisei:

Movie: Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989) Some of the story arc from that era got pretty convoluted and hard to follow, but I thought this film was quite creative, which leads me to my next choice...

Monster: Biollante Though with probably the lamest (albeit creative) origins and starting out as arguably the weakest monster ever, it ended up being one of the most intimidating rivals of Godzilla to date and was the first time I wasn't 100% rooting for Godzilla to win. Plus, you can't ignore that tongue-in-cheek humor of that scene with the tentacles Vs robbers. :D

Millenium:

Movie: Godzilla 2000 (1999) This was the only Godzilla movie I ever saw in theaters, and will always have a special place in my heart. That day is forever ingrained in my memory. And, imo, is probably one of the best all-around Godzilla moves ever made. Easily top 3.

Monster: Toss up between the design of Godzilla in the aforementioned film (so primal and badass looking) or his foe, Orga. I mean, seriously, a monster that tires to swallow Godzilla whole in order to gain his power? So awesome... well, not for Orga ;)

42 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I had a Godzilla toy that fought my Alien toy as a kid. All I know is if I kept that alien toy in the box I’d be rich right now.

And, had you kept it in its box, it would also make you a boring kid.

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, Larz said:

The movie has wrapped shooting and is in post production. They screened it recently and what people were allowed to say was basically this ; 

"The people talking stuff was dumb but there were a lot of monster fights !"

That pretty much makes it a classic Godzilla movie !

King Ghidora, Rodan and Mothra are all confirmed.  

"The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species – thought to be mere myths – rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance."

— Legendary and Warner Bros.[1]

2 images from Skull island teasing Ghidora and Rodan, and the famous Oxygen destroyer

MV5BMzEzOWViYmMtZmJlOC00YjkzLTk1MTMtZGNkZjZkMzBhYmVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

MV5BNjZkODUzMzQtMTEwOS00MDAwLWI0NjQtNmNhNjBiYTNlZDI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MzcwNTI@._V1_.jpg

MV5BY2RiZTNlMmEtM2ZlNi00NWM5LTg4MTEtZTIzODQ1NGZmNWVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,740_AL_.jpg

2080FBCD-8BA5-4BDC-947F-52CA7E543F49.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:45 PM, Spoot-Face said:

@Larz

Name a favorite movie and monster from each of the eras Showa, Heisei, Millennium. I'll go first:

Showa:

Movie: Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) It's gotta be the first Godzilla movie ever remember seeing and began my love affair with the big fella. And, I think it represents the best of that era with not too much camp *cough* Godzilla's Revenge *cough* and some great battles.

Monster: Anguirus. I've always had a soft spot for the little guy. Going from being Godzilla's first ever foe on screen (still need to watch Godzilla Raids Again) to being his most trustworthy ally. He isn't very powerful, but he's reliable and has a lot of grit! Almost like the Bilal Powell of the Kaiju world! :lol:

Heisei:

Movie: Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989) Some of the story arc from that era got pretty convoluted and hard to follow, but I thought this film was quite creative, which leads me to my next choice...

Monster: Biollante Though with probably the lamest (albeit creative) origins and starting out as arguably the weakest monster ever, it ended up being one of the most intimidating rivals of Godzilla to date and was the first time I wasn't 100% rooting for Godzilla to win. Plus, you can't ignore that tongue-in-cheek humor of that scene with the tentacles Vs robbers. :D

Millenium:

Movie: Godzilla 2000 (1999) This was the only Godzilla movie I ever saw in theaters, and will always have a special place in my heart. That day is forever ingrained in my memory. And, imo, is probably one of the best all-around Godzilla moves ever made. Easily top 3.

Monster: Toss up between the design of Godzilla in the aforementioned film (so primal and badass looking) or his foe, Orga. I mean, seriously, a monster that tires to swallow Godzilla whole in order to gain his power? So awesome... well, not for Orga ;)

Ok I officially relinquish my godzilla superfan throne to you ???

King Kong vs godzilla started my obsession. I know that movie by heart. It's a key memory from my childhood. 

After that I got into the classics like destroy all monsters, Mothra vs godzilla, mecha godzilla 

The 80s and 90s stuff was cool, but it's the retro stuff from the 60s and 70s that I really love 

What did you think about final wars? 

I appreciated the attempt to give fans what they want and all the usual godzilla plots I give it 4 out of 5 G cells 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Larz said:

Ok I officially relinquish my godzilla superfan throne to you ???

King Kong vs godzilla started my obsession. I know that movie by heart. It's a key memory from my childhood. 

After that I got into the classics like destroy all monsters, Mothra vs godzilla, mecha godzilla 

The 80s and 90s stuff was cool, but it's the retro stuff from the 60s and 70s that I really love 

What did you think about final wars? 

I appreciated the attempt to give fans what they want and all the usual godzilla plots I give it 4 out of 5 G cells 

Oh yeah, I can get a wee bit excited, can't I? :P

Yeah, I have to admit that the classics hold a special place in my heart, too. I remember visiting with my grandparents and flipping through the tv late one night, and finding Godzilla vs the Sea Monster on. I was so stoked because I had never seen that one before.

I thought that Final Wars was certainly entertaining to watch, especially that burly dude with the mustache (can't remember his name) and the part where Godzilla "fought" the 1998 American version which they renamed "Zilla". Hilarious! Wasn't my favorite movie though, and I wasn't keen on the direction they took with the human soldiers, but it was great to see a lot of the classic monsters brought back for one more fling. The new Gigan was totally bad ass looking!

Have you seen the latest Toho one yet, Godzilla: Resurgence?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Oh yeah, I can get a wee bit excited, can't I? :P

Yeah, I have to admit that the classics hold a special place in my heart, too. I remember visiting with my grandparents and flipping through the tv late one night, and finding Godzilla vs the Sea Monster on. I was so stoked because I had never seen that one before.

I thought that Final Wars was certainly entertaining to watch, especially that burly dude with the mustache (can't remember his name) and the part where Godzilla "fought" the 1998 American version which they renamed "Zilla". Hilarious! Wasn't my favorite movie though, and I wasn't keen on the direction they took with the human soldiers, but it was great to see a lot of the classic monsters brought back for one more fling. The new Gigan was totally bad ass looking!

Have you seen the latest Toho one yet, Godzilla: Resurgence?

No, I was actually going through the lineup on Netflix last night trying to find one to watch. 

I will check that out!