One year from today, Godzilla: King of the Monsters hits theaters!!!

Larz

4 hours ago, Larz said:

I started watching one of those “everything you missed in the trailer “ videos and I stopped 

adam wingard posted that it seems like they showed a lot but they didn’t, it’s a massive rumble 

gonna watch all the new movies and the original this week 

japan godzilla GIF

I'm going to do a super kaiju movie binge about a month before it comes out, starting with all the Gamera movies I can find, and then go through the entire Godzilla filmography (mostly) in chronological order.

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Not as hyped as I was for KoTM, but still pretty excited. Not gonna lie, I won't be happy if Kong wins, lol. I never bought that even in the first film.

I mean clearly they're going to become allies by the end of the movie right?  I haven't read any spoilers or anything like that, but the way the trailer is set up, it really seems like this is going to end with Kong and GZ fighting MechaGodzilla together.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I mean clearly they're going to become allies by the end of the movie right?  I haven't read any spoilers or anything like that, but the way the trailer is set up, it really seems like this is going to end with Kong and GZ fighting MechaGodzilla together.

That's one theory, yes, and I would certainly like that to happen. That'd be more interesting, in my opinion, than for the two to just beat up on each other. Though, I've heard some people compare that idea to Batman vs Superman, which didn't go over too well with fans, as far as I've heard, so I don't know.

Ever since KoTM under performed at the box office, I've had a sneaking suspicion that Legendary has seen the writing on the wall and plan to end the Monsterverse after this movie. Their deal with Toho is also about to expire after this movie, and I'm sure it'll be a high price to renew it. What better way to end the franchise than to have Kong kill Godzilla and finally don his full name "King Kong"? The only way an ending like that could be redeemed, in my eyes, would be to end the movie with an egg hatching and revealing it to be a new, baby Godzilla, almost calling back to the ending of Godzilla vs Destoroyah. That'd be cool to see.

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

That's one theory, yes, and I would certainly like that to happen. That'd be more interesting, in my opinion, than for the two to just beat up on each other. Though, I've heard some people compare that idea to Batman vs Superman, which didn't go over too well with fans, as far as I've heard, so I don't know.

Ever since KoTM under performed at the box office, I've had a sneaking suspicion that Legendary has seen the writing on the wall and plan to end the Monsterverse after this movie. Their deal with Toho is also about to expire after this movie, and I'm sure it'll be a high price to renew it. What better way to end the franchise than to have Kong kill Godzilla and finally don his full name "King Kong"? The only way an ending like that could be redeemed, in my eyes, would be to end the movie with an egg hatching and revealing it to be a new, baby Godzilla, almost calling back to the ending of Godzilla vs Destoroyah. That'd be cool to see.

Fall doesn’t mean die necessarily....

they both fell in the original and kong walks into the ocean and we don’t see what happens to Godzilla 

I would really love an ending like that 

Kong obviously dies in the original so him dying on this one would be the bigger emotional hit with him being friends with the little girl 

just happy really to see them knocking down buildings lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Most part 3's don't get a 4th when the movie bombs, we all just lucked out in that they were already making this one at the time. Take this for whatever but I live in LA and the word around town is that they're going to gage the international box office sales and take it from there. Supposedly they turned the Netflix deal down on purpose so they could take the loss and not have to deal with the bad press in case it bombs overseas. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, Larz said:

Fall doesn’t mean die necessarily....

they both fell in the original and kong walks into the ocean and we don’t see what happens to Godzilla 

I would really love an ending like that 

Kong obviously dies in the original so him dying on this one would be the bigger emotional hit with him being friends with the little girl 

just happy really to see them knocking down buildings lol

No, fall doesn't mean die, but if they were going to end the Monsterverse, killing Godzilla may be the way to go. It all started with him, after all.

As a kid I always believed that Godzilla won the fight at the end of the 62' film, even though it's been stated that King Kong was the victor. My child mind just couldn't accept that Godzilla would lose on his own turf, lol. Adam Wingard has stated for the record, though, that this movie doesn't have a nebulous ending like that, and it's clear who the victor is.

From the trailer, the movie looks pretty amazing visually, so that's exciting. Still hoping for a Rodan cameo, and I assume Mothra still has a role, although I've been trying to stay away from spoilers.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2021 at 6:44 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Most part 3's don't get a 4th when the movie bombs, we all just lucked out in that they were already making this one at the time. Take this for whatever but I live in LA and the word around town is that they're going to gage the international box office sales and take it from there. Supposedly they turned the Netflix deal down on purpose so they could take the loss and not have to deal with the bad press in case it bombs overseas. 

I've heard that they're still open to continuing the Monsterverse as long as this one does well -- and Hollywood executives will never turn down an opportunity to make money. I've just been skeptical since KotM, though. As much as I love Godzilla, I know that he's still a niche character. If not for China, KotM would've done much worse financially.

Sad thing is, whatever hope this movie had of success was probably killed by the pandemic. And, IMO, the plan to expedite the movie's release up to March, was insanely idiotic. Says to me that either they're desperate to start raking in the cash from this movie, they know that's it's gonna bomb and just want to get it out of the way since it's basically been on hold for almost 2 years, or both.

Oh, well. The new Godzilla anime series looks like it might be pretty cool, and Toho is bound to get back to producing more movies soon, too.

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I've heard that they're still open to continuing the Monsterverse as long as this one does well -- and Hollywood executives will never turn down an opportunity to make money. I've just been skeptical since KotM, though. As much as I love Godzilla, I know that he's still a niche character. If not for China, KotM would've done much worse financially.

Sad thing is, whatever hope this movie had of success was probably killed by the pandemic. And, IMO, the plan to expedite the movie's release up to March, was insanely idiotic. Says to me that either they're desperate to start raking in the cash from this movie, they know that's it's gonna bomb and just want to get it out of the way since it's basically been on hold for almost 2 years, or both.

Oh, well. The new Godzilla anime series looks like it might be pretty cool, and Toho is bound to get back to producing more movies soon, too.

Tentpole pictures are financed on loans and the juice is running on a whole slate of expensive sh*t. Everything is a loss at this point no matter what they do so it’s really just making the least worse decision at this point. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Larz said:

@Spoot-Face

tickets on sale!!!

As excited as I am to go, I told myself I wouldn't until I was able to get my vaccine. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to still be waiting for it when the movie comes out. :(

I may have to just bite the bullet and watch it on HBO. Still stoked, though!!!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:36 PM, Spoot-Face said:

No, fall doesn't mean die, but if they were going to end the Monsterverse, killing Godzilla may be the way to go. It all started with him, after all.

As a kid I always believed that Godzilla won the fight at the end of the 62' film, even though it's been stated that King Kong was the victor. My child mind just couldn't accept that Godzilla would lose on his own turf, lol. Adam Wingard has stated for the record, though, that this movie doesn't have a nebulous ending like that, and it's clear who the victor is.

From the trailer, the movie looks pretty amazing visually, so that's exciting. Still hoping for a Rodan cameo, and I assume Mothra still has a role, although I've been trying to stay away from spoilers.

I’ve lived my whole life certain that Godzilla won. 

4 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

As excited as I am to go, I told myself I wouldn't until I was able to get my vaccine. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to still be waiting for it when the movie comes out. :(

I may have to just bite the bullet and watch it on HBO. Still stoked, though!!!

I got 4 seats and the theater blocked out the seat next to us for distancing. We go to a Dolby theater with recliner’s and we are the 4 seats in the bottom left here. We’ll have no one behind us or next to us and two of us won’t have anyone in front either. 

A97AD1A4-6048-46D7-8BC6-1FD2098A3614.png

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I got 4 seats and the theater blocked out the seat next to us for distancing. We go to a Dolby theater with recliner’s and we are the 4 seats in the bottom left here. We’ll have no one behind us or next to us and two of us won’t have anyone in front either. 

A97AD1A4-6048-46D7-8BC6-1FD2098A3614.png

Oooh, nice! There's a theater near me that has similar seating to that. But, I'm just being super cautious. The vaccine is just so close to being available to me that I can be patient.

Besides, if I can get it in time before the movie's theater run is over, I'll just go see it again. I saw KotM 3 times in theaters, so I have no qualms about that! 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Oooh, nice! There's a theater near me that has similar seating to that. But, I'm just being super cautious. The vaccine is just so close to being available to me that I can be patient.

Besides, if I can get it in time before the movie's theater run is over, I'll just go see it again. I saw KotM 3 times in theaters, so I have no qualms about that! 

Everyone in my family that might be at risk is vaccinated so I’m gonna get theatres. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Big dumb terrific movie. So many well done references. There is 1 good and 2 disposable human subplots. 

Kong is the heart of the movie. Godzilla is amazing. 

It’s exactly what I wanted. Good times

Agree....probably best watched in IMAX.  It's was basically a bunch of junk sandwiched around two big awesomely awesome monster fights.  10,000x better fight sequences than any of the previous movies.

I will say I was a bit disappointed that they just tossed aside the whole fact Godzilla is supposed to be 3x bigger than Kong.  There was a throwaway line early on about Kong growing but, in some shots Kong appears to be around 10 stories tall, then in others he's about 50 stories tall.  Doesn't really matter that much because of all the cool fighting tho.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Agree....probably best watched in IMAX.  It's was basically a bunch of junk sandwiched around two big awesomely awesome monster fights.  10,000x better fight sequences than any of the previous movies.

I will say I was a bit disappointed that they just tossed aside the whole fact Godzilla is supposed to be 3x bigger than Kong.  There was a throwaway line early on about Kong growing but, in some shots Kong appears to be around 10 stories tall, then in others he's about 50 stories tall.  Doesn't really matter that much because of all the cool fighting tho.

I watched it in theatres and it was spectacular.

Spoiler free review 

If I could hug Adam wingard I would. Just as John favreau gave Star Wars fans what they wanted, wingard delivered. 

tons of action, the plot was straightforward and more importantly didn’t get in the way. 

at least 4 nods to the original and some nods to other monster movies as well. 

I was a little nervous about the little girl plot, hoped it wouldn’t be unnecessary heart string pulling, but she is actually a scene stealer. Super talented 

CGI has come a long way, we got fights in daylight !!!

The basic structure was very on point with typical Godzilla movies, and most importantly the final battle didn’t have anyone running around yelling for Maddie distracting from the action!!!!

5 roars 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I watched it in theatres and it was spectacular.

I’m going back. Saw it in the local Dolby theater, the seats vibrate from the sound and the colors are amazing. Very sparse crowd for a sell out. I’m risking much more exposure at CVS than in the theater without a doubt 

Want to watch this but boycotting hbo max until they put a native app on lg TVs.

I have a 77 inch lg oled, two 15 inch subwoofers, and 9 other speakers for my home theater.

This needs to be watched in 4k and dolby atmos sound.  I have a ps4 but it streams hbo max in regular HD and compressed audio.   F that..  ill wait.

Just like I'm waiting to watch wonder woman 84 and Snyders justice league cut.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’m going back. Saw it in the local Dolby theater, the seats vibrate from the sound and the colors are amazing. Very sparse crowd for a sell out. I’m risking much more exposure at CVS than in the theater without a doubt 

Oh man. Just such a good time. The Direction was the best part of the movie. When Godzilla and Kong meet at night and it’s basically a video game “Fight” screen was awesome. Great use of first person angles. When the sun came up before the climactic battle and the whole thing is in sunrise/ sunlight.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Want to watch this but boycotting hbo max until they put a native app on lg TVs.

I have a 77 inch lg oled, two 15 inch subwoofers, and 9 other speakers for my home theater.

This needs to be watched in 4k and dolby atmos sound.  I have a ps4 but it streams hbo max in regular HD and compressed audio.   F that..  ill wait.

Don’t waste your time with WW84.

16 hours ago, Pac said:

lol

That's the most unique and unusual boycott I've ever heard of.... I'm impressed.

Reminds me of when Kramer went on strike from his job at the bagel place.  Hope your holdout doesn't last 12 years. :P 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

lol

That's the most unique and unusual boycott I've ever heard of.... I'm impressed.

Reminds me of when Kramer went on strike from his job at the bagel place.  Hope your holdout doesn't last 12 years. :P 

Ain't exactly grounds for a hunger strike but I didn't pour thousands into my audio and visual mecca to watch King Kong in 1080p!

Viva la revolution!

• Haha 2