Jets Sign Pryor

Mecca

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jgb said:

Waste of a move on Jets. Doesn't cost much so fine but there's essentially a 0% chance he re-captures his fleeting lightening in a bottle here.

I too beg to differ. You obviously did not look at the video I posted earlier in this thread. I also came across this little tidbit posted on JetsCentral's YouTube channel:

From what I've read, he was struggling to read defenses in Washington and when running an option route him and Kirk weren't on the same page, he should have more success here cause we don't have our receivers do that.

Brilliant insight that i have seen nowhere else. Having watched tape of how well Pryor played with the Browns, aside from his ankle injury, I wondered why he played so poorly with the Skins. That explains a lot. If the JETS use him properly on slant, post and seam routes across the middle and fade and out patterns, he will be unstoppable. Given the other WRs, TEs and RBs who can catch on this team, it will be hard to double any of them, leaving mismatches somewhere.

8 hours ago, oc_jet said:

I too beg to differ. You obviously did not look at the video I posted earlier in this thread. I also came across this little tidbit posted on JetsCentral's YouTube channel:

From what I've read, he was struggling to read defenses in Washington and when running an option route him and Kirk weren't on the same page, he should have more success here cause we don't have our receivers do that.

Brilliant insight that i have seen nowhere else. Having watched tape of how well Pryor played with the Browns, aside from his ankle injury, I wondered why he played so poorly with the Skins. That explains a lot. If the JETS use him properly on slant, post and seam routes across the middle and fade and out patterns, he will be unstoppable. Given the other WRs, TEs and RBs who can catch on this team, it will be hard to double any of them, leaving mismatches somewhere.

Call me skeptical. He'll be doubled teamed because no one else scares defenses. He's gonna have a helluva time getting 600 yards.

8 hours ago, oc_jet said:

Jerry Rice unstoppable or just the ordinary version unstoppable?

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Call me skeptical. He'll be doubled teamed because no one else scares defenses. He's gonna have a helluva time getting 600 yards.

That may be true, but do we need him to get 1,000 yards. If you look at the JETS receiving last year, both Kearse and Anderson were top 30 and got almost 1,000 yards. I think we all are selling these guys talents short. With the addition of Pryor, that rounds out the WR corps. With Kearse as the slot WR, Anderson as wide out (X) and Pryor as flanker (Z), you now have three different skill sets operating each of the zones on the field. Further all of these guys have experience at the other WR positions, making mismatches more likely. This a much more balanced WR corp than since the days of Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. Plus none of these guys are slow, with clocked 40 times of 4.34 RA, 4.38 TP and 4.43 for JK. Couple that with the 6'5" , 230 lb "Megatron-like" size of Pryor, portends that the Jets should be a harder team to defend. 

Jermaine Kearse 65 810 12.5 51 5
Robby Anderson 63 941 14.9 69 7
Austin Seferian-Jenkins 50 357 7.1 28 3
Matt Forte 37 293 7.9 34 1
Bilal Powell 23 170 7.4 31 0
Jeremy Kerley 22 217 9.9 31 1
Elijah McGuire 17 177 10.4 38 1
Chad Hansen 9 94 10.4 24 0
Eric Tomlinson 8 121 15.1 34 1
Neal Sterling 6 82 13.7 35 0

If you study the route tree of each of these WRs, you can see exactly where they have been most effective

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/robby-anderson/AND460305

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/terrelle-pryor/PRY474541

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/jermaine-kearse/KEA511674/season

Our 3rd receiver last year was a statue... ASJ, who only averaged 7 yards per catch. If Tomlinson and/or Sterling or Leggett or whoever the Jets eventually pick up are able to attain reasonably similar numbers the Jets will improve.

On 3/23/2018 at 5:37 PM, kmnj said:

our gm failed us -the browns gm schooled ours and were are running out ex browns castoffs as our offensive core-cant make that sh*t up

qb-browns scrub-rb browns scrub pryor two years removed from browns

same time browns sign landry and hyde

And like the above video reminds us, ex Brown McCown. 

I don’t care what anyone says, the thought of a freak like Allen coupled with two 6’3+ outside receivers with 4.3/4.4 speed like Anderson/Pryor is pretty damn enticing.

Assuming Darnold goes to Cleveland at #1, Allen has to be the choice unless Rosen is there.

It’s pretty damn hard in my mind to justify trading 3 2nd round picks to take such a limited QB like Mayfield over a guy with that kind of ridiculous upside. Especially when you’re a northeastern team that routinely plays in sh*t conditions late in the season.

Having a 6’5 240 athletic freak with a straight up f*cking hose that can drill 60 yard TD’s on a frozen rope, smack-dab in the middle of a mid-Winters sh*tstorm is a major plus any way you wanna slice it.

40 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Jerry Rice unstoppable or just the ordinary version unstoppable?

Either way will be a big plus for the Jets. Balls thrown near, above or away from him are unreachable by the defenders, given his size. His catch radius and arm length is huge, which means he can box out virtually all DBs. Only on poorly thrown balls will a defender have a chance. This is a unique option and advantage for the Jets to have.

48 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care what anyone says, the thought of a freak like Allen coupled with two 6’3+ outside receivers with 4.3/4.4 speed like Anderson/Pryor is pretty damn enticing.

Assuming Darnold goes to Cleveland at #1, Allen has to be the choice unless Rosen is there.

It’s pretty damn hard in my mind to justify trading 3 2nd round picks to take such a limited QB like Mayfield over a guy with that kind of ridiculous upside. Especially when you’re a northeastern team that routinely plays in sh*t conditions late in the season.

Having a 6’5 240 athletic freak with a straight up f*cking hose that can drill 60 yard TD’s on a frozen rope, smack-dab in the middle of a mid-Winters sh*tstorm is a major plus any way you wanna slice it.

I agree with what your saying about upside but Mayfield should not be knocked as much. I'm not sure how you can call him limited, what part of his game doesn't translate? What will his short comings be? He hasn't had an issue with tipped balls, given his hieght you'd expect to see that. Pretty good chance if he hasn't had an issue up to this point I don't think it will matter much in the NFL. Allen's arm strength is the best of this class but Mayfield was 2nd, if Darnold and Rosen's strength is fine then I'm sort of at a loss to why Mayfield's wouldn't be. Is it because he didn't take many snaps under center? Maybe, but the NFL doesn't take the majority of their snaps under center unless they are running the ball or running a play action. Very rarely do we see QBs line up under center consistently and drop back to pass.

I think the only knock would be the level of defense that Mayfield played against but again that too is better than Allen's. Overall I do agree with your stance that's Allen has huge upside but to dismiss Mayfield because of something Allen hasn't been able to put together yet is a scary notion for me.

1 hour ago, oc_jet said:

That may be true, but do we need him to get 1,000 yards. If you look at the JETS receiving last year, both Kearse and Anderson were top 30 and got almost 1,000 yards. I think we all are selling these guys talents short. With the addition of Pryor, that rounds out the WR corps. With Kearse as the slot WR, Anderson as wide out (X) and Pryor as flanker (Z), you now have three different skill sets operating each of the zones on the field. Further all of these guys have experience at the other WR positions, making mismatches more likely. This a much more balanced WR corp than since the days of Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. Plus none of these guys are slow, with clocked 40 times of 4.34 RA, 4.38 TP and 4.43 for JK. Couple that with the 6'5" , 230 lb "Megatron-like" size of Pryor, portends that the Jets should be a harder team to defend. 

Jermaine Kearse 65 810 12.5 51 5
Robby Anderson 63 941 14.9 69 7
Austin Seferian-Jenkins 50 357 7.1 28 3
Matt Forte 37 293 7.9 34 1
Bilal Powell 23 170 7.4 31 0
Jeremy Kerley 22 217 9.9 31 1
Elijah McGuire 17 177 10.4 38 1
Chad Hansen 9 94 10.4 24 0
Eric Tomlinson 8 121 15.1 34 1
Neal Sterling 6 82 13.7 35 0

If you study the route tree of each of these WRs, you can see exactly where they have been most effective

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/robby-anderson/AND460305

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/terrelle-pryor/PRY474541

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/jermaine-kearse/KEA511674/season

Our 3rd receiver last year was a statue... ASJ, who only averaged 7 yards per catch. If Tomlinson and/or Sterling or Leggett or whoever the Jets eventually pick up are able to attain reasonably similar numbers the Jets will improve.

Thanks for a really well-thought out post. Out of curiosity, what would be the minimum you'd like to see from him to consider this a "successful" pickup? Assuming no injuries, of course.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks for a really well-thought out post. Out of curiosity, what would be the minimum you'd like to see from him to consider this a "successful" pickup? Assuming no injuries, of course.

Thx...I appreciate the compliment.

McCown threw 398 times in 13 games for 2926 yards.  Petty threw another 112 times for a Jets season total of 510 attempts. Anderson had 114 targets whilst Kearse had 102. Pryor in his best year with Cleveland had 140 attempts out of 460 attempts, catching 77 or 55%. Similarly, Anderson caught 55% and Kearse caught 63% of their respective targets. The RB crew had roughly 20% of Jets targets or 105. So, assuming the Jets throw 500 times in 2018. And assume that no one receiver dominates the way Pryor did with the Browns, it would be reasonable to expect that 100 targets each or 6.5 per game is very possible. If history repeats and they all maintained their historical catching and yards per catch percentages of 13.1, 14.9 and 12.5 respectively, we could project the following from each:

Pryor             100   55  720

Anderson       100  55  820

Kearse           100  63  787

The wild cards in this scenario are 1. Will Anderson be suspended? 2. How will Pryor be used in the red zone? If he picks up where Brandon Marshall left off , that will open up even more the spacing that the Jets offense will be allowed by defenses. If Pryor can achieve these numbers with another 5-7 touchdowns, I will be very happy.

FYI, for all the NY "Browns" haters, Crowell is no slouch in the receiving department either, having caught 28 of 42 in 2017 and 40 of 53 in 2016. these are both very under-rated pickups, which should pay decent dividends in 2018.

5 hours ago, oc_jet said:

Thx...I appreciate the compliment.

McCown threw 398 times in 13 games for 2926 yards.  Petty threw another 112 times for a Jets season total of 510 attempts. Anderson had 114 targets whilst Kearse had 102. Pryor in his best year with Cleveland had 140 attempts out of 460 attempts, catching 77 or 55%. Similarly, Anderson caught 55% and Kearse caught 63% of their respective targets. The RB crew had roughly 20% of Jets targets or 105. So, assuming the Jets throw 500 times in 2018. And assume that no one receiver dominates the way Pryor did with the Browns, it would be reasonable to expect that 100 targets each or 6.5 per game is very possible. If history repeats and they all maintained their historical catching and yards per catch percentages of 13.1, 14.9 and 12.5 respectively, we could project the following from each:

Pryor             100   55  720

Anderson       100  55  820

Kearse           100  63  787

The wild cards in this scenario are 1. Will Anderson be suspended? 2. How will Pryor be used in the red zone? If he picks up where Brandon Marshall left off , that will open up even more the spacing that the Jets offense will be allowed by defenses. If Pryor can achieve these numbers with another 5-7 touchdowns, I will be very happy.

FYI, for all the NY "Browns" haters, Crowell is no slouch in the receiving department either, having caught 28 of 42 in 2017 and 40 of 53 in 2016. these are both very under-rated pickups, which should pay decent dividends in 2018.

I'm sticking with my over/under of 600 yards/4 TDs. I would take the under on both probably.

ESPN New York believes the Jets could move on from Jermaine Kearse.

Kearse set career highs last season but isn't a lock to return for the final year of his deal. The Jets signed Terrelle Pryor and are getting slot WR Quincy Enunwa back, making him expendable. Releasing Kearse would create $5 million in cap savings.

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Kearse set career highs last season but isn't a lock to return for the final year of his deal. The Jets signed Terrelle Pryor and are getting slot WR Quincy Enunwa back, making him expendable. Releasing Kearse would create $5 million in cap savings.

Does this even make sense this late ? Where not even strapped for cash 

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Does this even make sense this late ? Where not even strapped for cash 

Agree. Thought Kearse really brought a lot of leadership amongst receivers last year. Would hate to lose him. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Forgot to read the small print...consider the source.

Mar 24 - 3:21 PM

Discount at all costs....

Archived